Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Punchy and Broke - Boxing's sad stories
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
jimmygootz
I'm writing an article to get exposure for boxers that have gave their bodies up for our entertainment, and was hopful to get some pointers from the forum's collective intelligence.

Who are some boxers that have been high-school-prom ditched by the sport they gave everything to, and are there any organizations you know of that are established to help these guys and girls out??

Thanks for helping out, friends.
True-Boxing-Fan
This is a very sad subject. I hate it when i see or here about punchy and broke boxers. Boxing can be very unforgiving on fighters as they get older and to be broke also is just sad. When I think of this two fights come to mind, Bobby Chacon and Rocky Lockridge. These were two great boxers and guys, and they gave the boxing world many many great memories.

Bobby Chacon is one of the first smaller weight fighters to accumulate millions in there boxing career. He was in one of the best if not the best fight in boxing history. His fights with Bazooka Limon were great but it was there fourth fight that will forever be in boxing lore. In there fourth fight (which was the first live fight I watched as a teenager) was a fight of all time. It was back and fourth the whole time and the courage they show was amazing. In the 15th and final round, Chacon mustered up the energy to drop Limon and have a huge round and pull out the win. It was an amazing fight. Chacon was a super popular fighter and as a result everyone wanted to fight him as they knew it would be a good payday. In his time he fought everybody and every fight he was in was a war. As a result he made millions in his career but unfortunately with all the wars he had, it took a lot out of him mentally as he got older. And within time all the money he made was all but gone. Bobby chacon should be one of the guys nowadays thats ringside at the big fights and praised as a legend, which he is. But with his mental state he can't. It's very sad. He was a good guy of the sport and i wish he isn't in the state he is.

The next fighter that comes to mind is Rocky Lockridge. Rocky was a multi-time champion and was in lots or great fight himself. His fights with Tony the tiger Lopez were wars and they fought a fight of the year. Rocky was a rock and the little dude could really crack. He made good money also but is a guy now who is homeless and not in the greatest mental state either. Its very sad. His 2nd round knock out of Roger Mayweather was great. In that fight Mayweather was the young gun champion and someone who was suppose to school Rocky, but Rocky ended up taking his head off. Rocky had a very good career and had lots of great fights but as a result, those fights took there toll on him as he got older also. He was also a good guy of boxing and was really respected.

Boxing can be very brutal and even more brutal after there careers are over. I wish there was something for these guys after boxing as far as getting the proper medical care. Because they put there lives on the line evrytime out and do it for the fan, plus the majority of these fights arent making millions. Boxing is a great sport but it's very unforgiving.
Snoop
Meldrick Taylor
Allmenjoi8
Hollyfield.
caneman
Has anyone noticed Roy Jones Jr's talks a bit different now? It's just not as smooth as it once was! Many of these old warriors are flirting with major damage I think...PWill will be really bad I think if he really goes after the Maravilla fight!
D-MARV
Roy Jones is just country as hell... So is PWIll.

Joe Frazier is the saddest. I took a trip up to Philly one year and stopped by his gym (where he lived)... it was in bad shape. I think they tore it down since.
Romulus9
Rocky Lockridge is actually doing better thanks to Alex Ramos and the guys at the Retired Boxers Foundation. Look them up. They've helped a lot of guys.

Wilfred Benitez is another guy who has had a ton of issues. He requires constant care and they get by on a special pension that was granted by the government in Puerto Rico.
Method
All things considered, ROy sounds pretty good to me. He called Haye/Klit, and sounded good. IMO.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Leon Spinks. To go from beating Ali to cleaning toilets in the YMCA is about a big a fall as you can get. If Cory isn't careful he may follow him there.

I think Joe Frazier still does OK though. He still does a far few engagements around the world. I think he has been out to NZ a couple of times in the past 5 or 6 years and I'm sure he was paid OK bucks to come out here.

Obviously not what he once had or even close but the Frazier 'brand' still carries some weight.

What about Michael Dokes. That's another one that springs to mind. Without being rude, is he even still alive?
D-MARV
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 26 2011, 08:55 PM) *
All things considered, ROy sounds pretty good to me. He called Haye/Klit, and sounded good. IMO.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with Roy (yet). He's still the same ole Roy.
Romulus9
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 26 2011, 09:09 PM) *
What about Michael Dokes. That's another one that springs to mind. Without being rude, is he even still alive?

Dokes is still alive... sort of. He had a lengthy prison sentence that is now over. FightFanNation caught up with him a couple of years ago at a mall somewhere and had a nice little chat. They posted the video. He was more unintelligible than Roger Mayweather.

Dokes is living proof that Rick James wasn't lying... cocaine is a hell of a drug.

caneman
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 26 2011, 08:15 PM) *
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with Roy (yet). He's still the same ole Roy.

Compared old fights he called to fights of late, he still does ok but there is difference IMO! See if you agree he isn't the same! Good call on Smoking Joe, not that he ever talked that well!
caneman
Actually would Roger and Floyd Sr be worth mentioning between the drugs and the beat downs they are bad!

Dokes sound really bad!
dhoward126
This is an easy one: Primo Carnera.
Lil-lightsout
Maybe not all punchy and broke, but here are a few that are sad regardless.

Vernon Forrest getting shot and killed.

Arturo Gatti getting murdered/suicide.

Ike Ibeabuchi losing it.

Sam Kellerman getting murdered by boxer James Butler.

Edwin Valero kills himself.

Tommy Morrison gets AIDS.
Romulus9
Riddick Bowe.

I'm pretty surprised that he hasn't been in the ring since the Gene Pukall fight.
Romulus9
And, of course... Jerry Quarry.

The beating he took in 1992, all because he needed a few bucks and there was (at the time) no Colorado commission to stop him, is one of the worst things that has ever happened in the sport.
salvador
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jul 26 2011, 04:33 PM) *
This is a very sad subject. I hate it when i see or here about punchy and broke boxers. Boxing can be very unforgiving on fighters as they get older and to be broke also is just sad. When I think of this two fights come to mind, Bobby Chacon and Rocky Lockridge. These were two great boxers and guys, and they gave the boxing world many many great memories.

Bobby Chacon is one of the first smaller weight fighters to accumulate millions in there boxing career. He was in one of the best if not the best fight in boxing history. His fights with Bazooka Limon were great but it was there fourth fight that will forever be in boxing lore. In there fourth fight (which was the first live fight I watched as a teenager) was a fight of all time. It was back and fourth the whole time and the courage they show was amazing. In the 15th and final round, Chacon mustered up the energy to drop Limon and have a huge round and pull out the win. It was an amazing fight. Chacon was a super popular fighter and as a result everyone wanted to fight him as they knew it would be a good payday. In his time he fought everybody and every fight he was in was a war. As a result he made millions in his career but unfortunately with all the wars he had, it took a lot out of him mentally as he got older. And within time all the money he made was all but gone. Bobby chacon should be one of the guys nowadays thats ringside at the big fights and praised as a legend, which he is. But with his mental state he can't. It's very sad. He was a good guy of the sport and i wish he isn't in the state he is.

The next fighter that comes to mind is Rocky Lockridge. Rocky was a multi-time champion and was in lots or great fight himself. His fights with Tony the tiger Lopez were wars and they fought a fight of the year. Rocky was a rock and the little dude could really crack. He made good money also but is a guy now who is homeless and not in the greatest mental state either. Its very sad. His 2nd round knock out of Roger Mayweather was great. In that fight Mayweather was the young gun champion and someone who was suppose to school Rocky, but Rocky ended up taking his head off. Rocky had a very good career and had lots of great fights but as a result, those fights took there toll on him as he got older also. He was also a good guy of boxing and was really respected.

Boxing can be very brutal and even more brutal after there careers are over. I wish there was something for these guys after boxing as far as getting the proper medical care. Because they put there lives on the line evrytime out and do it for the fan, plus the majority of these fights arent making millions. Boxing is a great sport but it's very unforgiving.

Excellent post.
Snoop
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 27 2011, 12:55 AM) *

Called the Lara/Williams fight well too, though it was slated with irony.
Snoop
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 27 2011, 03:22 AM) *
Maybe not all punchy and broke, but here are a few that are sad regardless.

Vernon Forrest getting shot and killed.

Arturo Gatti getting murdered/suicide.

Ike Ibeabuchi losing it.

Sam Kellerman getting murdered by boxer James Butler.

Edwin Valero kills himself.

Tommy Morrison gets AIDS.

One of the saddest has to be the Collins/Resto story, for both guys really.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jul 27 2011, 02:23 AM) *
One of the saddest has to be the Collins/Resto story, for both guys really.

Yeah, and all thanks to some scumbag named Panama Lewis.
Snoop
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 27 2011, 07:11 AM) *
Yeah, and all thanks to some scumbag named Panama Lewis.

I can't believe that guy is still allowed to work in boxing.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jul 27 2011, 03:15 AM) *

Well after watching that HBO documentary a few years ago, just shows he has no heart. He don't give a fvck.

What is more shocking is Margarito is still fighting, AND he has tons of fans and got a shot at Pac and now is getting Cotto again.

Romulus9
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jul 27 2011, 03:15 AM) *

He has a gym in Miami but he's banned from working in corners, at least in the United States. Not sure if he has worked, or does work, in corners in other countries anymore but I certainly hope not. The man has no conscience.

He should have gone to prison.
jimmygootz
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jul 26 2011, 07:52 PM) *
Rocky Lockridge is actually doing better thanks to Alex Ramos and the guys at the Retired Boxers Foundation. Look them up. They've helped a lot of guys.

Wilfred Benitez is another guy who has had a ton of issues. He requires constant care and they get by on a special pension that was granted by the government in Puerto Rico.

Good call, thanks for the heads up!
Snoop
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jul 27 2011, 06:32 PM) *
He has a gym in Miami but he's banned from working in corners, at least in the United States. Not sure if he has worked, or does work, in corners in other countries anymore but I certainly hope not. The man has no conscience.

He should have gone to prison.

Yeah, I saw that he was banned from corners, but he still shouldn't be allowed to even step foot into a boxing gym, let alone train fighters. Goddamn shame.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.