Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Things that annoy me-Boxing's Biggest Pet Peeves! (Resurrected)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Lil-lightsout
1- Ever since Mayweather caught Hatton with that "check-hook", I hear it all the time. I do not think I ever heard it before that fight. Kind of reminds me of Sean O' Grady during a very old TNF episode. During a fight he used the word "Goncho" for a body shot someone told him in a pre fight meeting, and he continued to use it over and over for years to come. Any way that term annoys me.

2- How every fighter before fights say they are in the best shape of their life.

3- Fighters that excessively hold on the inside, and the refs that allow it so much without taking points.

4- The inactivity of so many fighters today.

5- I am really sick of announcers giving out the fighters bio and all this irrelevant BS in ring introductions, just announce their freaking name, record, titles, and that is it!

6- Do we really need 50 entourage members in the ring before and after fights?

7- Certain entourage members pointing and gesturing and talking smack during ring introductions. Easy for them to talk tough since they aren't taking any punches.

8- I can not stand Pac and Mayweather super fans. Both are beyond irrational.

9- When world class fighters would rather quit than go out swinging. They cheat themselves, the fans, and the sport.

10- Seeing scrubs or guys on TV or guys that are undeserving. Or fighters getting shots over more deserving fighters.
Snoop
How a fighter gives about 6 excuses for their loss during a post-fight interview, then finishes it with, "But you know, no excuses."

That fat fuck ring announcer on "The Contender". Dude sounded like his was vomiting his last meal every time he spoke.

Joe Cortez for being an attention whore.

Bob Arum for being...Bob Arum.

Bandwagon fans pretending to be experts on the sport while watching their second fight.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jul 27 2011, 03:44 AM) *
How a fighter gives about 6 excuses for their loss during a post-fight interview, then finishes it with, "But you know, no excuses."

That fat fuck ring announcer on "The Contender". Dude sounded like his was vomiting his last meal every time he spoke.

Bandwagon fans pretending to be experts on the sport while watching their second fight.

Man, I hate that type of behavior with a passion.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jul 27 2011, 03:44 AM) *

Your 1st one is hilarious, and the last one really annoys me also. Especially at many of the big fights I have been to over the years.
ViperSniper
People who actually defend the bullshit Mayweather & Pacquaio have been doing for years! How???

Bob Arum

Titles being created, elevated and/or stripped.

People who say boxing is a business!

Catchweights.

Fighters being accused of being on something is the new trend in boxing.

Fighters being inactive.

Joe Cortez stopping fights early.

Fans being extremely quick to cry ROBBERY!
blackbelt2003
1/ Shitty undercards on PPV. For a PPV fee, every fucking fight should be good enough to headline a regular event.

2/ Mayweather and Pacquiao fans. I think every single post on this thread should include this one.

3/ INACTIVITY!!! My major gripe. Every single thing that is wrong with boxing (shitty fights, too many titles, fighters being stripped, not enough risks took etc etc) would go away if fighters just FOUGHT. That's what they're paid to do, why not do it more? Fight three or four times a year, not once. I hear Khan is planning his next fight for freaking December!!! Why six months on? Was the Judah fight such a physically tough one? Are there not enough dance partners out there to fight in September, too?

4/ The WBO. It's ticking me off that fans seem to be gradually accepting this belt as one of the norm. Doing so means that: a - Tyson was never undisputed champion, b - Joe Calzaghe had 20-odd world title defences, c - Herbie Hide was two time champion of the world, d - Oscar De La Hoya is a 6 weight world champion, e - Great Britain has had a ridiculous number of world champions since 1990.

That'll do for now.

Black
Cshel86
1. When fighters talk so much shit and get the fans excited before a big fight...just to lay an egg and walk away with a paycheck (Khan vs Judah, Pacquiao vs Mosley, Haye vs Klitzko).

2. When they dont make interesting fights PPV and end up making us wait all year just to see two big fights for $50+. Berto vs Ortiz, Khan vs Maidana, could have been a PPV for at least $30-$35 and I wouldn't have minded paying for it (being the fact that the fights were exciting).

3. When rising stars are making less than $1M and have hardly proven themselves, yet they already feel that the world owes them big money fights.

4. The fact that there are no more young and determined stars with a PERSONALITY, who are PPV attractions...nobody wants to take a chance and fight their way up to stardom like the likes of De La Hoya, Trinidad, Vargas, Mosley, Mayorga, etc in their era. Those guys were under 30 and doing PPV numbers...dont you just miss that era of boxing?

5. When a fighter is UNDEFEATED, generates no money or fans, and has lackluster competition (or lack there of), but feel like that '0' is supposed to do wonders for them.

6. When a fighter has a damn-near 'fight of the year bout', just to make us wait 4-8 months to see them fight a no-name tomato can, smh.

7. When a great champion with potential has earned a title, just to be stripped of it for some God-awful reason and a bum ass fighter gets put in front of a tomato can to win it. Perfect example, Sergio Martinez being stripped of the MW title, just for Chavez Jr. to be put in front a bum (well, he just lacked power) to win it. Bob Arum is doing his best keep Chavez away from Martinez...so what do we have now?...a bum champ who will fight tomato cans until Arum has completely milked him dry.

8. When commentators try to promote fights and call out fighters, smh...Max Kellerman is growing on me (which is a good thing), but he is the king of calling fighters out and trying to promote fights.
oozemcbuck
Hearing Lampley cum every time Pacquiao lands a punch. (BANG !!!, BANG !!!, BANG !!!)

Commentators rambling on about nothing instead of just shutting up during ring entrances. I like just hearing the song and feeling the fighters' vibe walking down to the ring. To me, it builds excitement watching them walk down ready, for war. But, every time, that moment gets ruined by someone saying something completely useless.
lloyd mayflower
Most of you wont appreciate this one, but Jim Watt is the subject of a game between me and my mate where we guess how many times he will use the word "work" in each round of a fight. It may seem innocuous, but it gets on your nerves after about number 350.

It seems to be a habit thats mostly used by boxers, referring to oneself in the third person. Lloyd does not approve.
Jack 1000
Boxing Pet Peeves and Recommendations to Fix Them

1.) Waiting an eternity for Mayweather-Pacquiao. Either make the fight, or fuck it, and move on to other options.

2.) Judges, promoters, and networks showing favoritism to the house fighter. Undeserving Olympians who are pom-pom'ed by HBO and Lampley, just because they are Olympians and fight on HBO. This goes back through the years, (Breland, Biggs, Berto.) I almost put Jermain Taylor in there, but even though there was dispute, he did beat Hopkins twice, just wasn't the fighter that HBO pom-pom'ed him to be.

3.) Countless fighters who talk all kinds of shit like they are gonna murder an opponent and than we get a fucking 12-round Lawrence Welk waltz. Yea, that's you David Haye, you little POS!

4.) Floyd Mayweather for his personality and arrogance outside the ring. The fight that he can't stay out of trouble outside the ring.

5.) Manny Pacquiao for refusing the drug testing.
6.) Promoters that don't allow their house fighters to fight other promoters fighters on the network.

7.) Judges that constantly treat journeymen like shit in their scoring of fights against them.

8.) Don King, Bob Arum, and Al Hayman, for their monopolistic control of fighters and networks.

9.) The WBC's 4th and 8th round optional open scoring.

10.) Too many championship belts. Going back to one could still produce a monopoly, But at least they should go back to the big two, the WBA and WBC, and the federations work to constantly unify the championships.

11.) Unification fights going back to 15-rounds, with only the most experienced refs working those fights to insure safety concerns, but keep the other fights at 12-rounds so that the 15 round distance really separates the champions from the contenders. The 15 distance could be like for Superbowls and World Series for boxing with those three rounds brought back, not to make the sport something dangerous, but to make it something special.

12. The WBC's point deductions for accidental head-butts. Accidents are unintentional and deserve no consequence of a penalty. Right now, this rule over-compensates for an unfortunate situation. You are penalizing the non-head-butted fighter for being lucky. This rule MUST be overturned by all commissions throughout the world.

13. POS PPV undercards, and often times POS PPV main events that have no business as a PPV. Every card on a PPV should be AT LEAST 3 WORD CHAMPIONSHIP FIGHTS BETWEEN TOP CONTENDERS with the fourth match a major 10-round top competitors match.

14. All boxing matches should create a sense of reasonable doubt as to how will win, have competitive matches, record-checks for quality. No more of this house-fighter against sacrificial lamb bullshit. Especially not on Premium boxing channels or PPV.

15. No special circumstances for top fighters or their top promoters or matchmakers. No little pre-fight perks for top promoters and fighters. Unless you can produce verified medical evidence who's evidence has the right to be questioned or overturned, unless there are health issues, you MUST defend your championship belt against the leading available contender every six months. When you fight the top guy in your weight class for an alphabet belt, and win an alphabet world championship, that automatically gives you the right to be the #1 contender for any other rival world championship alphabet title. And you MUST unify each belt by fighting the unification within six months.

16. All boxing federations begin round robin tournaments that can NOT be influenced by a promoter or TV network to work in culmination of world title unification matches.

17.) An international commission of executive over-site to inspect the doings of promoters, referees, and judges, with severe consequences for any convictions of bribery, fight-fixing or extortion. The suspect(s) would have the right to a fair an impartial hearing with a presumption of innocence, where evidence would have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that there was bribery or corruption involved. If the international commission came back with a guilty verdict, a six month to life ban from boxing would be imposed depending on the severity of the offense. Additionally, all officials involved in boxing would have to sign a statement stating that if they engage in ANY proven bribery or corruption through the eyes of this international court tribunal they could face suspensions up to a permanent loss of license.

18.) Cosell and the world making Ali some kind of secular saint, which was and is bullshit. One cannot deny Ali's influence and powerful impact to the world of boxing on the international stage and that's great! But Howard and so much of the world made Ali out like he could do no wrong, and that's not a correct assessment either. There were good things about Ali and their were shit things about Ali, but no one wanted to talk about the shit things. And the "Ali-Act" to improve the safety standard of boxing is just some rubber-stamped bullshit to put Ali's name on something for recognition to get it passed.

Ali never did anything to create or improve fighter safety either inside the ring or outside the ring. The way Cosell pom-pom'ed Ali is the exact same way that HBO and Lampley have been pom-pomming their house fighters for the last decade.

19.) HBO trying to look for the next big star by feeding him mediocre competition rather than making competitive fights where the pom-pomer might lose. Go back to the competitiveness and greatness of Lou Dibella at the network who knew that the fans want great competitive action boxing, not just some Olympian who gets his name on HBO by fighting an assortment of stiffs. (i.e Berto vs. Freddy Hernandez? WTF!) Grow some balls, and start making some demands on Delahoya, Arum, and Hayman, that if you don't give us competitive fights, there will be no fight, period. Take the sacrificial lambs to ESPN or something against the manufactured stars, but for a premium channel at $12-$15 for it's subscription each month, there will either be competitive fights, or NO FIGHTS.

Jack
Eighty88Eight
iHate:

Devon Alexander's face: http://www.pacquiaovsmargarito.net/wp-cont...alexander-2.jpg

Zab Judah calling himself "the best fighter pound for pound".

Mayweather's "take the tess" enunciation. It's tesT, stupid!

Larry Merchant's blatant desire to see all slick boxers lose violently, especially Mayweather. Though I do love the old guy.

Jim Gray's bitchiness. He always looks like he's about to cry.

Bert Sugar's stupid cigar, and his very general education on boxing.

Teddy Atlas' self-important pretentiousness. This guy needs to get smacked around a little bit.

Dan Rafael's claim of impartiality. Still a big fan of the big guy though!

That thing on Max Kellerman's mouth.

Emanuel Steward's 4:00am declarations: "i knew the fight would go that way since the fight was announced".

Devon Alexander's snorting, grunting, squawking, moaning, yelling, at every punch he throws. Relax, stupid. You don't hit that hard.

Ben Thompson's smug "impartiality". I love Ben Thompson but Ben Thompson loves Floyd Mayweather even more.

Bernard Hopkins, my favorite fighter, referring to himself in the third person. "Bernarr Hopkins". At least say your name right, you dope.

Leonard Ellerbe's cavernous olfactory grotto. Um... his nose. Great guy, btw. http://www.fighthype.com/images/content/leonardellerbe4.jpg

Pound for pound lists.

All-time pound for pound rankings.

Titles.

Shane Mosley's in-the-ring concern for the continued friendship of his opponent.

Manny Pacquiao's labyrinthine empire of which nobody knows anything about anyone at any time regarding any issue.

Sergio Martinez's overrated stature. Well I don't hate it, he is one of the best, but he's not THAT good, ok?

The gay lisp at the end of Roy Jones' S's.

Al Haymon's invisibility. He doesn't exist, therefore no negotiations ever took place.

Paul Williams's utterly courageous, life-threatening stupidity.

Roy Jones's utterly heartbreaking, life-threatening stupidity.

Roger Mayweather's unfairly underrated training ability. If you listen closely, his advice is quite sound, logical, and practical. Result-oriented.

The fact that Brandon Rios chills with the Cheat Team of Margarito, Vargas, Garcia, and that other clown. Buncha greasy scumbags.

The fact that THE fight has not yet happened.

Joan Guzman's face. And his undefeated record. http://thumbnails.truveo.com/0019/AF/2A/AF...60737_Large.jpg

All of you, especially!!!!

Snoop
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Jul 27 2011, 05:16 PM) *
iHate:

Devon Alexander's face: http://www.pacquiaovsmargarito.net/wp-cont...alexander-2.jpg

Zab Judah calling himself "the best fighter pound for pound".

Mayweather's "take the tess" enunciation. It's tesT, stupid!

Larry Merchant's blatant desire to see all slick boxers lose violently, especially Mayweather. Though I do love the old guy.

Jim Gray's bitchiness. He always looks like he's about to cry.

Bert Sugar's stupid cigar, and his very general education on boxing.

Teddy Atlas' self-important pretentiousness. This guy needs to get smacked around a little bit.

Dan Rafael's claim of impartiality. Still a big fan of the big guy though!

That thing on Max Kellerman's mouth.

Emanuel Steward's 4:00am declarations: "i knew the fight would go that way since the fight was announced".

Devon Alexander's snorting, grunting, squawking, moaning, yelling, at every punch he throws. Relax, stupid. You don't hit that hard.

Ben Thompson's smug "impartiality". I love Ben Thompson but Ben Thompson loves Floyd Mayweather even more.

Bernard Hopkins, my favorite fighter, referring to himself in the third person. "Bernarr Hopkins". At least say your name right, you dope.

Leonard Ellerbe's cavernous olfactory grotto. Um... his nose. Great guy, btw. http://www.fighthype.com/images/content/leonardellerbe4.jpg

Pound for pound lists.

All-time pound for pound rankings.

Titles.

Shane Mosley's in-the-ring concern for the continued friendship of his opponent.

Manny Pacquiao's labyrinthine empire of which nobody knows anything about anyone at any time regarding any issue.

Sergio Martinez's overrated stature. Well I don't hate it, he is one of the best, but he's not THAT good, ok?

The gay lisp at the end of Roy Jones' S's.

Al Haymon's invisibility. He doesn't exist, therefore no negotiations ever took place.

Paul Williams's utterly courageous, life-threatening stupidity.

Roy Jones's utterly heartbreaking, life-threatening stupidity.

Roger Mayweather's unfairly underrated training ability. If you listen closely, his advice is quite sound, logical, and practical. Result-oriented.

The fact that Brandon Rios chills with the Cheat Team of Margarito, Vargas, Garcia, and that other clown. Buncha greasy scumbags.

The fact that THE fight has not yet happened.

Joan Guzman's face. And his undefeated record. http://thumbnails.truveo.com/0019/AF/2A/AF...60737_Large.jpg

All of you, especially!!!!

clapping.gif

AWESOME list. Where the hell did you come from?

laugh.gif
HaydelHammer
First off I love this thread. LOL

annoyance list:

- people who don't know jack shit about boxing, only names they can recall are pacman and/or mayweather, yet they still scream boxing is dead. GTFO here with that shit.

- Jim Lampley house fighter tea bagging a$$

- Herald Letterman thinking his scorecard is the Gospel

- Any fighter who says "he hasn't seen nothing like me" before a fight then goes in and performs like giraffe shit.

- Fighters that fight on versus for shit like a NBSC world title belt and actually hold that shit up and put it on their shoulder like they are the baddest mofo on the planet ...lol

- golden gloves winners who look like they haven't fought a fight in their life and look so bad it basically killed having golden gloves on your resume now as an achievement in boxing.
Cshel86
1. When Jim Lampley just happens to do those fuckin' upcoming HBO programs after a breath-taking round. Don't we all just really want to hear what's going on in the corner after a 'round of the year' just took place.

2. When Emmanuel Steward just makes up words while commentating, smh. (Listen to him closely next time)

3. When Emmanuel Steward happens to lose his cool and get excited...why does the world have to suffer? When Ortiz knocked Berto down with less than 10 seconds left in the 10th round...here comes Steward..."AAAWWW MY GODDDDD!" That shit was scary...had to turn the tv down after that. (quite funny though)

4. When Emmanuel Steward gets frustrated when fighters are losing and refuse to let their hands go. Steward always says, "At this point he has nothin' to lose. He should be puttin' it 'aawww' on the line". What is "aaaww"? All maybe?

5. When Floyd Sr. cant seem to formulate a sentence to save his life. (watch his post-fight interview after Mayweather/De La Hoya)

6. When Shane Mosley seems to forget that he's in a big fight and not a sparring session...chill out with the glove-touching and make sure I get my $50 worth.

7. When Cotto's family attends a fight that the world knows he has no chance of winning

8. When Zab Judah thinks that he can tag the ref into the fight when he's getting outgunned.

9. When Roy Jones does his best to pronounce a fighter's last name all night long...especially the hard ones (Zbik, Dzindziruk, Remillard). Just let it go man.

10. When Michael Buffer tried his hand at speaking French (I believe) at the Pascal vs Hopkins rematch.

11. Paul William's speech, smh. ("Know what Im sayin', if I woulda picked it up a little bit more, know what sayin', been more fresher in there tonight"...)

12. When Pacquiao is talking and looking in the air during a post-fight interview...makes me think he's reading a teleprompter. "Ahhh, this was a great fight toniiight and aahhh, we trained hard for the this fight." (Funny)
Snoop
Gus Johnson acting like he followed boxing before he was hired by Showtime.
GinJapan
You guy's lists are AWESOME!! I just have to chime in with mine.

1.) No named fighters demanding that more established fighters and champions "step up to the plate."

2.) Sam Watson and his kids.

3.) Guaranteed purses. Hell, an 80/20 split in favor of the winner would light a flame under some of these guys asses.

4.) Everyone calling themselves "advisors."

5.) Trainers getting credit for fighters who were champions and multi-time champions prior to getting with them.

6.) Fighters who after a knockdown stare at their corners with a "what the hell was THAT!!" look on their faces while the ref is counting.

7.) Fights where the ring walks and introductions last longer than the actual fights.

8.) Fighters with losing records having nicknames!!

9.) Announcers saying "He comes to the ring with an excellent record of 7 wins and ONLY 17 losses, (figher's name)."

10.) Celebrities at fights just to be seen.
Cshel86
QUOTE (GinJapan @ Jul 27 2011, 06:37 PM) *
You guy's lists are AWESOME!! I just have to chime in with mine.

1.) No named fighters demanding that more established fighters and champions "step up to the plate."

2.) Sam Watson and his kids.

3.) Guaranteed purses. Hell, an 80/20 split in favor of the winner would light a flame under some of these guys asses.

4.) Everyone calling themselves "advisors."

5.) Trainers getting credit for fighters who were champions and multi-time champions prior to getting with them.

6.) Fighters who after a knockdown stare at their corners with a "what the hell was THAT!!" look on their faces while the ref is counting.

7.) Fights where the ring walks and introductions last longer than the actual fights.

8.) Fighters with losing records having nicknames!!

9.) Announcers saying "He comes to the ring with an excellent record of 7 wins and ONLY 17 losses, (figher's name)."

10.) Celebrities at fights just to be seen.

Lmao! The first three did it for me! I thought I was the only one tired of those dick-ridin', daffy duck lookin' twins clapping and yelling in their fighter's ear when they're being introduced by Buffer. Then their dad does the same shit, but it's still funny to me though. I was no good after I read #3...there would be some quick ass fights if the winner got an automatic %80 of the purse!!!
gravytrain
anyone other than the fighter and their corner getting in the ring

the wrestling entrances fighters have. fireworks and 3 different songs? get in the ring and fight.

networks and promoters trying to create stars

big fights not being half the show the Klits usually put on in Germany. American promoters need to step it up.

fighters saying boxing is a business to get out of tough fights and fighting more frequently

boxing becoming more and more like sports entertainment and less like a sport

Sam Watson's kids always standing behind a fighter and smiling. dude and his corner look like they're ready for war then you see one of Watson's kids trying to get camera time with a huge smile.

Snoop
Any fight that has a 15min Nelly concert preceding it.
BoxingWizard23
QUOTE (oozemcbuck @ Jul 27 2011, 12:01 PM) *
Hearing Lampley cum every time Pacquiao lands a punch. (BANG !!!, BANG !!!, BANG !!!)

Commentators rambling on about nothing instead of just shutting up during ring entrances. I like just hearing the song and feeling the fighters' vibe walking down to the ring. To me, it builds excitement watching them walk down ready, for war. But, every time, that moment gets ruined by someone saying something completely useless.

LMFAO!!!!! I laughed like shit when Pacman was throwing them weak ass sauce punches against The African Heavy Bag's guard. Lampley definitely made it a joke after that.
BoxingWizard23
great list by almost everyone..here's mine

1. When fighters know about an injury before a fight and choose to still fight and then uses it as an escape goat for their performance rolleyes_anim.gif

2. Promoters sucking on fighters nuts until the fighters move on.

3. Pactards

4. Fighters who fight for a belt and immediately drop it not long after they win it.

5. All of these bullshit new belt organizations

6. Larry Merchant

7. Some of Mayweather's excuses

8. Pacman's Team

9. Freddie Roach

10. HBO commentators (except Kellerman, Lampley, Foreman, Steward, Tarver and Roy Jones)

12. The Terrorist

13. When fighters who don't come to a fight in shape and out of weight.

14. Homecooked Decision wins thumbsdown_anim.gif

15. Bad Judging nono.gif

16. Them annoying as fuck Vuvuzela horns that are used for soccer but are now also at boxing fights smh

17. Fighters who complain about low blows and rabbit punches. just stfu and whoop his ass

18. Antonio Margarito's still on going career

19. Fighters who spit out their mouthpiece in order to gain extra time to stall

20. Cherry picking

21. low risk, high reward fights

22. promoters who protect their fighters from better competition nea.gif

23. Trainers who yell at their boxers with someone else in the corner also doing it (via Berto)

24. Fighters who smile after they lose a fight with no effort from them

25. fighters who throw an average of 10 punches per round

26. brawling fights with no tactics involved

27. Fighters who cut off other fighters post fight interviews

28. CHEATING FIGHTERS fuck.gif
Warlord
I hate fighters who lick their lips every time they puke out a sentence during televised interviews.

I hate boxers who promise to punish a dude or knock him out, only to (a.) pot-shot their way to a boring decision, or (b.) get humiliated by their opponent while returning little to no offensive firepower in return.

I hate fighters who act like gangsters and come to the ring with some lame rap act like Nelly, and then thank Jesus Christ after the fight was over.

I hate fighters who say they have to talk to their team when asked who they'd like to fight next.

I hate fans who label unproven prospects as GOATS, while dismissing a fighter who has just lost as a bum or never-was.

I hate Atlas, Grey, Tessitore, Lampley, and Kellerman. In that order.

More to come later.
Lil-lightsout
Wow!!! thumbsup_anim.gif

There are seriously so many good ones people posted. I am rolling reading these lists, and pretty much all of them are true.

Here are a few more.

Seeing fighters hot bitches in the crowd, and knowing they are only with them cause they are a boxer. Haha

When someone from the announcing team interviews a fighters cornerman DURING the fight.

Not having instant replay to determine head butts, cuts, low blows, etc.

Certain fighters that get away with wearing their cup way up high to protect their body for an unfair advantage.

Judging in general is and has always been flawed for several reasons.

Snoop
That annoying ass fucking yelp Brandon Rios screeches after each one of his wins.
Eighty88Eight
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jul 28 2011, 02:11 AM) *
That annoying ass fucking yelp Brandon Rios screeches after each one of his wins.

i actually do HATE that. Completely forgot about that disgusting squawking he does. I didn't hear him doing it after the Antillon win though.
blackbelt2003
UNDEFEATED RECORDS

The bane of modern boxing.

Black
mgrover
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Jul 27 2011, 09:39 AM) *
Catchweights.

I hate this so fucking much. if you can't make weight, fuck off to your own weight class.
ROLL DEEP
Women in the FRONT ROW who spend more time chatting then actually watching the fights.

Bitch, if you want to chat, go to a bar and give ME your ringside ticket.
gravytrain
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jul 28 2011, 10:39 AM) *
UNDEFEATED RECORDS

The bane of modern boxing.

Black

it's really taking away from the sport. the undefeated record is meaning more than quality of opposition, how often they fight and their performance.

QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Jul 28 2011, 05:17 PM) *
Women in the FRONT ROW who spend more time chatting then actually watching the fights.

Bitch, if you want to chat, go to a bar and give ME your ringside ticket.

i remember during the NBA finals some kid had floor seats and was texting during the game. i'll never know what's up with people that spend thousands of dollars on tickets for something just to text.
Cshel86
1. Fighters with no personality

2. People still having the balls to mention Shane Mosley as a potential opponent (Pacquiao was the last to milk that cow, and the milk was sour...leave it alone already)

3. Fighters with no power

4. When cuts end a fight prematurely (doesn't matter if it's a PPV fight or a low-budget fight)

5. Jerry Olaya's interpretations in between rounds (he sums up the hell outta those sentences)

6. Ray Torres's interpretations between heated rounds when he refuses to repeat profanity (c'mon man, I've heard "hijo de puta" a million times in that corner, and you haven't repeated any of it, lol).

7. It kills me how frantic Nacio Beristain is between rounds

8. When Larry Merchant feels out of the loop and tries to shut down the convo between the other two commentators who are talking about something that he knows nothing of. (Lol)

9. Harold Lederman's scorecards, smh. (The only time I somewhat follow it is when I've had oe too many beers and lost track of the fight)

10. That fat dude with the ninja turtle headband on in Pacquiao's corner

11. Larry Merchant's jokes/analogies

12. Not being able to ignore Bernard Hopkins's over-the-top commentary in the crowd during fights. (sit down man)
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 28 2011, 01:59 AM) *
Not having instant replay to determine head butts, cuts, low blows, etc.

This is actually a pretty good one.
Fitz
Boxing should introduce something like they do with the tennis. Both fighters start with 1 challenge (whatever number they decide on). For example if a referee misses something like an accidental headbutt, low blow, a knockdown that isn't called etc. A fighter uses a challenge that goes to the instant replay. If the replay shows the fighter is wrong, the fighter loses that challenge and can't contest anymore. If the fighter is right and shows in the replay, he keeps that challenge and can use it again later if needed.

But most pet peeves have been covered.

• Catchweights for title fights
  • When boxing is a business is used to avoid fights
  • "I'm a boxing fan first, Mayweather fan second"
  • Too many titles
Romulus9
Here's a few I haven't seen mentioned.

• "Vinnie Pazienza". It's Vinny. It was always Vinny. Always will be Vinny. You know who said so? Vinny. He'd know. Is it so hard to get it right?
  • The belief by idiots who think they've become experts thanks to playing video games and watching YouTube that prime Mike Tyson would walk through every heavyweight of all-time in less than two rounds. No fight would ever be competitive, everyone would just topple over and die. These are usually the same people who can be found figuratively blowing Floyd Mayweather (or sometimes Manny Pacquiao), biding their time until they get a chance to literally blow him. These are the same people who were apparently unaware that boxing existed before November 1986.
  • The fat schlucks attending fights who rarely lift anything heavier than a large food item who are intent on screaming instructions to every fighter in every fight but doing so in as vague a fashion as possible. "Throw your left! Throw your left! Right! Move! Now! Left, man! FUCK!" That sure was helpful, lard ass. Have another beer, get a seat toward the back, and shut the hell up. You're annoying everyone else and creeping out the ring card girls with your constant crude remarks and gestures. **NOTE: This is especially irritating when you're working in the corner for a fight and the jackass is five feet away.**
  • Although he's not calling fights anymore, I couldn't list my pet peeves without listing one from the past: Ferdie Pacheco. The man didn't know a damn thing, added nothing to broadcasts, and was a worthless commodity as a whole. People love to complain about Larry Merchant but I wouldn't take 50 Pacheco's for one Larry Merchant. He was Ali's physician. Good for him. That doesn't mean he knows boxing. I think I'll go sit at a doctor's office for a while and then do commentary in the operating room. There are twenty plus people on this board alone who know far more about the sport than Pacheco did but I guess Ferdie is more qualified to talk boxing on international television because he gave Muhammad Ali a prostate exam in 1972.
  • High quality round card girls aren't shown enough. Low quality round card girls are shown too much.
  • The WBC rankings and general decision making. I hate those people.
  • MMA people who think that Randy Couture choking James Toney out actually means something.
  • The very fact that Tuesday Night Fights was taken off the air.
  • ESPN's piddly boxing budget. Double it, and you can make a lot more Rodriguez-Wolak type of fights.
  • David Haye.
  • Lupe Contreras. I absolutely hate that man. Hate him. He just irritates the living hell out of me.
  • Having to listen to Joe Antonacci announce the presence of any fighter that happens to be from BROOOOOKLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYN, NEW YORK if the fight is within 200 miles of New York. Great. He's from Brooklyn. Now, if he gets iced in two minutes by the son of a farmer from Topeka, Kansas, will he get the same fanfare? Probably not.
  • Boxing commissions who are either clueless, corrupt, behind the times by a couple of decades, or all of the above.

If I think of more, I'll post them. These were just off the top of my head.
Cshel86
1. Those faces that De La Hoya makes while the National Anthem is being sang.

2. Shane Mosley and his relevance (or lack there of) with Golden Boy at the time that he was with them. This idiot did nothing but try to scout fights for himself, just to stink it up...then he left Oscar to go to Arum for a Pacquiao fight, just to stink it up once and for all in the history books.

3. St. Louis "supercards" that Don King puts together...all for the main event to be a travesty. (Hasn't been the same since Judah vs Spinks)

4. When a fighter is an HBO regular, and ends up fighiting on Showtime (Showtime is boring to me)
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Jul 29 2011, 03:25 PM) *
1. Those faces that De La Hoya makes while the National Anthem is being sang.

2. Shane Mosley and his relevance (or lack there of) with Golden Boy at the time that he was with them. This idiot did nothing but try to scout fights for himself, just to stink it up...then he left Oscar to go to Arum for a Pacquiao fight, just to stink it up once and for all in the history books.

3. St. Louis "supercards" that Don King puts together...all for the main event to be a travesty. (Hasn't been the same since Judah vs Spinks)

4. When a fighter is an HBO regular, and ends up fighiting on Showtime (Showtime is boring to me)

I'd like to go one step further on your first point. Here goes:

De La Hoyas face.
Cshel86
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jul 29 2011, 10:27 AM) *
I'd like to go one step further on your first point. Here goes:

De La Hoyas face.

Hahahaha!!!
thehype
Fans who speak on things that they haven't taken the time to do research on.

laugh.gif
Eighty88Eight
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 2 2011, 02:40 PM) *
Fans who speak on things that they haven't taken the time to do research on.

laugh.gif

sycophantic internet-journos who vehemently (vigorously... loudly) deny their sycophancy for particular fighters and such and such..............
Romulus9
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 2 2011, 08:04 PM) *
sycophantic internet-journos who vehemently (vigorously... loudly) deny their sycophancy for particular fighters and such and such..............

Warlord
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 2 2011, 08:04 PM) *

laugh.gif
Jack 1000
How about language interpreters who don't know the language they are speaking or translating! LOL!

Jack
Eighty88Eight
How about certain foreign boxers who suddenly forget English when asked about drug testing?
Cshel86
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 4 2011, 08:08 AM) *
How about certain foreign boxers who suddenly forget English when asked about drug testing?

laugh.gif
daprofessor
contract stipulations

multiple titles...silver, interim..etc...

bob arum

band wagoneers

larry merchant/jim lampley/max kellerman trying to be larry merchant

Eighty88Eight
I'm ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED by all this Jim Lampley/Larry Merchant hate. I love those guys and will cry when they're gone from commentating. Jim Lampley is the greatest play by play man in sports, and Larry Merchant is just great to listen to, agree or disagree. Max Kellerman, if you really listen to what he says, is a sycophantic, bumbling, hyperbolic, loud-mouth. He's still better than those Showtime morons though.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 9 2011, 08:22 PM) *
I'm ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED by all this Jim Lampley/Larry Merchant hate. I love those guys and will cry when they're gone from commentating. Jim Lampley is the greatest play by play man in sports, and Larry Merchant is just great to listen to, agree or disagree. Max Kellerman, if you really listen to what he says, is a sycophantic, bumbling, hyperbolic, loud-mouth. He's still better than those Showtime morons though.

Lampley's cool with me, I just hate when he does those upcoming HBO programs after a great round just happened. Merchant just gets under my skin sometimes, but other than that, I can deal with him.

Let me just add one more for the hometeam...

I hate Tim Bradley's picture when they show pictures of the top fighters in the division, smh. (Dude's got a head like Tweety Bird)
Romulus9
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 10 2011, 02:18 PM) *
Lampley's cool with me, I just hate when he does those upcoming HBO programs after a great round just happened. Merchant just gets under my skin sometimes, but other than that, I can deal with him.

That's really not Lampley's call. It's up to the producers, directors, and such. They relay when to do those spots, as well as what replays are coming, from the production truck to the guys at ringside.
Cshel86
Had to dig this one up! I watched Mayweather/Ortiz again last night and couldn't help but to cringe at Jim Lampley's prounounciation of 50 Cent's name..."Fiddy Cent".
wolterb
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Oct 10 2011, 09:36 AM) *
Had to dig this one up! I watched Mayweather/Ortiz again last night and couldn't help but to cringe at Jim Lampley's prounounciation of 50 Cent's name..."Fiddy Cent".

lol...he was tryin at least. defintely a better effort than people who pronounce tupac as "two pack"

this has already been said, but my big pet peeve is when boxers talk in the third-person.
Cshel86
QUOTE (wolterb @ Oct 10 2011, 09:11 PM) *
lol...he was tryin at least. defintely a better effort than people who pronounce tupac as "two pack"

this has already been said, but my big pet peeve is when boxers talk in the third-person.

Tell me about it! I've said this already, but Emmanuel Steward can be an on-going pet peeve, though he knows boxing inside-out. If he's not busy making up words, or revealing his "true" predictions when the tides turn in the fight, then he gets annoyingly overzealous. He killed me in Gatt/Ward 1...you would never know he talked that loud unless you saw him in J. Taylor's corner chewing his ass out for not letting his hands go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.