Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alvarez vs Gomez
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
PColeman28
Is this the best fight out there for "canelo" at 154? should he just move up and fight a sergio or chavez jr, or is there still fighters he should run through in the division like paul williams and erislandy lara?
Eighty88Eight
i think alvarez is young, is what i think. he's still undergoing amateur training in the professional ranks. itll probably be enjoyable while it lasts.
lloyd mayflower
Answer to title question:

It sucks ass
flip
Not the best, but Alfonso is still better than any fighter Canelo has fought.

Get ready for an upset. smile.gif
EAlbian
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Jul 27 2011, 03:48 PM) *
i think alvarez is young, is what i think. he's still undergoing amateur training in the professional ranks. itll probably be enjoyable while it lasts.

As much as i don't like it i have to agree. I'm still very unsure of if Alvarez is the goods or at least if he can be. He had a very limited amateur career and Gomez will come forward and has some skills. I think this might be a good measuring stick to see how he may fare towards a guy who will get hit and fight back with decent power and some skill. Cotto took him apart, can Alvarez have the same performance or better? I think thats what they are looking more towards. Cotto vs Alvarez would do big numbers and would be a good fight in a years time. I think Alvarez get murdered by Martinez no matter what, thats a fight i'd never go anywhere near if i was managing him. Clean out 154, there are names there.
JONdaCON817
Alvarez isn't lookin for the best comp out so the question is irrelevant. He's at the point of his career were hes gonna want low risk big reward. I think he beats Gomez who is slower then Shyt but has decent power and good pressure but this isn't the contender. I think he gets manhandled. I saw on Spanish TV the Press Conference and Gomez was laughin, joking, and busting out with freestyle raps, WTF?! Canelo put him in his spot and shut him up infront of everyone. Lol. I was suprised the kid showed so much maturity and poise. They obviously don't like each other.
gravytrain
i think Alvarez is too valuable for them to risk him anytime soon. i wont expect a meaningful fight from him for years. GBP's goal is just keep him healthy and winning until Mayweather and Pac retire and then give him low risk opponents on PPV.
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jul 27 2011, 07:47 PM) *
i think Alvarez is too valuable for them to risk him anytime soon. i wont expect a meaningful fight from him for years. GBP's goal is just keep him healthy and winning until Mayweather and Pac retire and then give him low risk opponents on PPV.

you hit the nail on the head Gravy... we can all see that coming a mile away.. and he wont EVER be put in the ring with Sergio... thats career suicide for him. Canelo is still pretty green even with having all those pro fights... i think him vs Princess Julio will be next..
Cshel86
I guess they will do this fight like they did Khan vs McCloskey (spell check) and Berto vs Ortiz, as far as the PPV goes. From my understanding, this is still an undercard bout on the Mayweather/Ortiz card, right? This is weird because all of the Alvarez/Gomez fans will be in LA at the Staples Center, and all of the Ortiz fans will be watching their fighter on PPV for the first time in Vegas. I agree with some of the posts on this thread...Canelo wont be fighting the best of the best anytime soon. As a promoter, Canelo is a cash cow until he runs into a bull, so why not milk him until then by putting tomato cans in front of him?
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Jul 29 2011, 08:37 PM) *
I guess they will do this fight like they did Khan vs McCloskey (spell check) and Berto vs Ortiz, as far as the PPV goes. From my understanding, this is still an undercard bout on the Mayweather/Ortiz card, right? This is weird because all of the Alvarez/Gomez fans will be in LA at the Staples Center, and all of the Ortiz fans will be watching their fighter on PPV for the first time in Vegas. I agree with some of the posts on this thread...Canelo wont be fighting the best of the best anytime soon. As a promoter, Canelo is a cash cow until he runs into a bull, so why not milk him until then by putting tomato cans in front of him?

This shit has got to make old school Mexican fans ill. Don't give me the "he's not a big boy yet" shit. Motherfucker should wear a fucking tiara on his walk to the ring.

gravytrain
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Jul 29 2011, 11:37 PM) *

it's just another reason why boxing for some fighters is sports entertainment and not a sport.

people in Vegas and LA can watch the fights. they're going to play Canelo's fight live in Vegas and then play Mayweather vs Ortiz live in LA.
Cshel86
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jul 30 2011, 05:10 PM) *
it's just another reason why boxing for some fighters is sports entertainment and not a sport.

people in Vegas and LA can watch the fights. they're going to play Canelo's fight live in Vegas and then play Mayweather vs Ortiz live in LA.

Yeah they are doing too much for me, smh.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Jul 27 2011, 05:31 PM) *
As much as i don't like it i have to agree. I'm still very unsure of if Alvarez is the goods or at least if he can be. He had a very limited amateur career and Gomez will come forward and has some skills. I think this might be a good measuring stick to see how he may fare towards a guy who will get hit and fight back with decent power and some skill. Cotto took him apart, can Alvarez have the same performance or better? I think thats what they are looking more towards. Cotto vs Alvarez would do big numbers and would be a good fight in a years time. I think Alvarez get murdered by Martinez no matter what, thats a fight i'd never go anywhere near if i was managing him. Clean out 154, there are names there.

Pretty much.

See this is a problem when you get a young fighter a trinket to help boost his marketablility, fans now expect him to take more meanigful fights which he probably isn't ready for. On one hand based for what age he is, what amateur experience he has had (none) this is a perfectly acceptable fight for his development.

However now he holds a strap he is almost obligated to take better fights. You can't have it both ways.
ViperSniper
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 31 2011, 07:18 AM) *
Pretty much.

See this is a problem when you get a young fighter a trinket to help boost his marketablility, fans now expect him to take more meanigful fights which he probably isn't ready for. On one hand based for what age he is, what amateur experience he has had (none) this is a perfectly acceptable fight for his development.

However now he holds a strap he is almost obligated to take better fights. You can't have it both ways.

Great post and great point to the bolded part.

From the little I've seen, I like Alvarez and he does have some potential. Having a belt around his waist is not a good idea or look for a fighter who is meant to be taking his career slowly for valid reasons. This bout however is a step up but I believe Canelo will be too much for the more experienced fighter!
gravytrain
i don't ever see Canelo really stepping it up. his paydays are going to increase a lot more than his quality of opposition. the guy is already being groomed to be the next PPV attraction. i say GBP protects him until Mayweather and Pac are gone then steps it up enough for him to get a PPV. after that it's just going to be more low risk fights until he moves up to 160 and gets a strap from the WBC.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 31 2011, 12:18 AM) *
Pretty much.

QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Jul 31 2011, 12:53 AM) *
Great post and great point to the bolded part.

From the little I've seen, I like Alvarez and he does have some potential. Having a belt around his waist is not a good idea or look for a fighter who is meant to be taking his career slowly for valid reasons. This bout however is a step up but I believe Canelo will be too much for the more experienced fighter!

I don't think it is too much to ask to replace all belts with faux jeweled tiaras. I'm reasonably certain that the tiaras would leave a smaller carbon footprint. drag.gif
Fitz
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 31 2011, 05:18 PM) *
Pretty much.

Good post.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jul 31 2011, 09:21 PM) *
I don't think it is too much to ask to replace all belts with faux jeweled tiaras. I'm reasonably certain that the tiaras would leave a smaller carbon footprint. drag.gif

I sorta agree! Haha. Tiara's would look great!

However in all seriousness, once you take away all the hype, hyperbole and the 'title' at stake do you think this is a good fight for Alvarez's career? I do. Gomez is a decent journeyman type fighter, crafty enough to make Alvarez think and having been dismantled by a close to prime Cotto a good measuring stick for where Saul is.

You just have to forget the strap and that it will probably be on PPV laugh.gif
Seek
QUOTE (PColeman28 @ Jul 27 2011, 02:33 PM) *
Is this the best fight out there for "canelo" at 154? should he just move up and fight a sergio or chavez jr, or is there still fighters he should run through in the division like paul williams and erislandy lara?

Gomez is the kinda guy you want Canelo to fight on a ppv undercard. He's got a lot of heart and will stand there and fight you. Canelo should get by him no problem at all. Canelo definitely needs to step up his next fight. He should face Lara, Angulo or Martirosyan
gravytrain
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 1 2011, 01:46 AM) *

However in all seriousness, once you take away all the hype, hyperbole and the 'title' at stake do you think this is a good fight for Alvarez's career? I do. Gomez is a decent journeyman type fighter, crafty enough to make Alvarez think and having been dismantled by a close to prime Cotto a good measuring stick for where Saul is.

they've been keeping Canelo busy but i think this is another safe fight. i give Gomez a little bit of a puncher's chance. i think Alvarez might get a little too confident and get caught coming in but shouldn't have too hard of a night.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 31 2011, 10:46 PM) *

A princess should have a tiara.
Cshel86
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jul 30 2011, 12:22 PM) *
This shit has got to make old school Mexican fans ill. Don't give me the "he's not a big boy yet" shit. Motherfucker should wear a fucking tiara on his walk to the ring.

Man you aint lyin', old school Mexican fans are probably going crazy about this. Canelo is lucky to have the most loyal fans in the world, which are Mexicans. I have never saw a Mexican fan turn their back on a fighter, so he should be okay. I hope he shows grit and heart in his tougher fights, since he has had nothing but tomato can put in front of him. There's no need for a tiara since he already has a halo gleaming over his head and a lucky horseshoe up his ass. Lol!
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jul 30 2011, 11:22 AM) *

you right smarty... i hate it when these young champs wear a belt and supposed fight fans try to give the excuse "well they are still young and growing"... lol... fuck that!!!! if they are young and growing they never should have taken on the responcibility of the belt... its time to play with the big boys now...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.