Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins open to a Tarver rematch at Cruiser
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
http://www.boxingscene.com/hopkins-open-ta...poisoned--42007

by Chris LaBate

WBC light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins is open to making further history by moving up in weight to face Antonio Tarver in a rematch. Tarver recently captured the IBO cruiserweight title by stopping Danny Green in Australia. In 2006, Hopkins moved up from middleweight, to dominate Tarver over twelve rounds for the IBO light heavyweight crown. Tarver, who bulked up to heavyweight for a starring role in the movie Rocky Balboa, had to drop nearly 50-pounds or more before the fight.

"If I fight at cruiserweight, let me tell you what weight I'll come in at. They moved it up to 200-[pounds] now, about four years ago. I would come in at 189, 190 - because I would want to still have the speed of a light heavyweight or even a super middleweight so I could make them miss, because the average cruiserweight is not fast. They are not super slow but I should be faster than them because I'm coming up from light heavyweight," Hopkins said.

"[Taking a fight at cruiserweight], it depends on who the guy is. Like Tarver. Tarver, I would love to get that, because it's a rematch. He had a great excuse [for losing the first fight]. He lost 100-pounds or 50-pounds, something like that. You hear him tell it he was dead [in the ring]. And he was poisoned...food poisoning. He did say that, he said he was poisoned."
Fitz
http://www.boxingscene.com/hopkins-open-ta...poisoned--42007

by Chris LaBate

WBC light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins is open to making further history by moving up in weight to face Antonio Tarver in a rematch. Tarver recently captured the IBO cruiserweight title by stopping Danny Green in Australia. In 2006, Hopkins moved up from middleweight, to dominate Tarver over twelve rounds for the IBO light heavyweight crown. Tarver, who bulked up to heavyweight for a starring role in the movie Rocky Balboa, had to drop nearly 50-pounds or more before the fight.

"If I fight at cruiserweight, let me tell you what weight I'll come in at. They moved it up to 200-[pounds] now, about four years ago. I would come in at 189, 190 - because I would want to still have the speed of a light heavyweight or even a super middleweight so I could make them miss, because the average cruiserweight is not fast. They are not super slow but I should be faster than them because I'm coming up from light heavyweight," Hopkins said.

"[Taking a fight at cruiserweight], it depends on who the guy is. Like Tarver. Tarver, I would love to get that, because it's a rematch. He had a great excuse [for losing the first fight]. He lost 100-pounds or 50-pounds, something like that. You hear him tell it he was dead [in the ring]. And he was poisoned...food poisoning. He did say that, he said he was poisoned."
Fitz
Delete this thread. I noticed I put 140, for some fucked up reason and tried to stop it and posted again, but this still went through, haha.
Fitz
This is the correct one, haha.
Fitz
Also speaking of Hopkin's, apparently he got a seat next to Calzaghe on the Judah-Khan card.

JONdaCON817
ide like to see Tarver and Hops go at it again... maybe throw Toney in there too, let the man fight!!!...
Method
Forget Tarver. Get James Toney. Get a 24/7. Get it on.
caneman
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 27 2011, 07:48 PM) *

That would work, best smack talkers in the buz!
BoxingWizard23
Toney vs Hopkins face off and 24/7 would be an instant classic. LOL!!! I can just feel it. The press conferences the interviews everything. The fight would be technical though so no shame in that.
Warlord

Co-sign ALL DAY. James said he was coming to cruiserweight and that he wanted Hopkins. Hopefully someone puts enough money on the table to make it happen.
Big Slim Sweet
Joe Cal looks lit in those pics.
Big Slim Sweet

Still the best fight that can be made in all of boxing.
STEVENSKI
I thought he was holding a baootle of Jaeger in the first photo for a second.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jul 28 2011, 12:58 AM) *
Still the best fight that can be made in all of boxing.

I would be willing to bet all the weeks of lead up would be better than the fight itself. Not saying that is bad either, because we would get so many classic lines and I am sure they would have to be separated more than once during press conferences.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 27 2011, 10:44 PM) *
Delete this thread. I noticed I put 140, for some fucked up reason and tried to stop it and posted again, but this still went through, haha.

LOL. Eh....just change the title. I know someone here can has the power to do that.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jul 28 2011, 02:06 AM) *
LOL. Eh....just change the title. I know someone here can has the power to do that.

Nah.. it's better cause it makes Fitz look like a... laugh.gif
Snoop
Cool to see those two friendly with each other. I heard about bad blood between the two even after their fight.
Fitz

Jack1000, can you merge my 'Hopkins at 140' thread into my 'Hopkins at cruiser'

Thanks.
Fitz
Hopkins looks so old there, which makes it even funnier that he is still kicking ass, haha.
ViperSniper
This is a smelly fight! I'm surprised Hopkins is admitting Tarver was at a disadvantage in their fight which takes away from the victory. Now is using that for a reason along with this poison reason to get an easy win and another title on his resume?

Where was this interest by Hopkins going upto Cruiserweight title when Green held it and made him eat his words?? He was too busy ignoring what had unfolded by not responding nor returning any of the offers Green made him! Hopkins should focus on Dawson and then Cloud!
Fitz
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Jul 28 2011, 07:21 PM) *
This is a smelly fight! I'm surprised Hopkins is admitting Tarver was at a disadvantage in their fight which takes away from the victory. Now is using that for a reason along with this poison reason to get an easy win and another title on his resume?

I think you took it in the wrong context, it sounds like Hopkins was taking the mickey out of him about his 'excuses', I don't think he really meant that he thinks Tarver's poison is a real excuse. I think this is just his way of saying he will prove again it's bullshit.

QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Jul 28 2011, 07:21 PM) *
Where was this interest by Hopkins going upto Cruiserweight title when Green held it and made him eat his words?? He was too busy ignoring what had unfolded by not responding nor returning any of the offers Green made him! Hopkins should focus on Dawson and then Cloud!

Hopkins didn't ignore Green, they were in negotiations, and it simply broke down to them not agreeing on a purse split.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=22237&more=1

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=4781428
ViperSniper
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 28 2011, 09:49 AM) *
I think you took it in the wrong context, it sounds like Hopkins was taking the mickey out of him about his 'excuses', I don't think he really meant that he thinks Tarver's poison is a real excuse. I think this is just his way of saying he will prove again it's bullshit.

Hopkins didn't ignore Green, they were in negotiations, and it simply broke down to them not agreeing on a purse split.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=22237&more=1

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=4781428

Yeah he was taking the micky out of the whole poison thing but I don't think the same can be said about Tarver loosing all that weight though..which was the case!!

Where are the other articles where people from Hopkins's camp claimed they were not sure why Hopkins was not accepting the personal phone messages sent by Green through Hopkins's team? Green clearly wanted to fight Hopkins..the same can't be said for Hopkins though as he never fought for Green's title at the time. I recall Green ended up offering some very generous offers (I forgot the figures) yet Hopkins never accepted. Hopkins never stepped in the ring with Green. Now he wants to step in the ring with a guy that beat that guy who he happen to already dominated?

I don't like this move by Hopkins. Fight Cloud after Dawson or retire?
AussieLad
Since James Toney is now saying he can make cruiserweight (i am presuming through the means of some major limb amputation) how cool would it be to see the 3 old farts do a round robin.
streetlion1
Hopkins dominates Tarver at any weight in my opinion.
Eighty88Eight
Hopkins needs to stop picking on old people. He needs to go back to fighting people his own age.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Jul 28 2011, 10:59 AM) *
Hopkins needs to stop picking on old people. He needs to go back to fighting people his own age.

laugh.gif rolleyes_anim.gif
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 28 2011, 01:04 AM) *
I would be willing to bet all the weeks of lead up would be better than the fight itself. Not saying that is bad either, because we would get so many classic lines and I am sure they would have to be separated more than once during press conferences.

In this case, the build-up would be part of the fight.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jul 28 2011, 09:01 PM) *
In this case, the build-up would be part of the fight.

They should PPV the build up then give us the fight for free
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jul 29 2011, 12:12 PM) *
James Cruiserweight Toney? Yeah right.

If he got two or three of his chins removed he might have a shot.
mgrover
I wonder how there going to make weight biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.