Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaustion.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
ViperSniper
Which fights do you feel a fighter lost due to exhaustion or at least that factor contributed to the defeat/stoppage?

Hagler-Hearns
The fight began at a furious pace and plenty of leather was being exchanged. By the 3rd round Hearns looked worn out and his legs seems like they turned into complete jelly, Hagler caught him with that final shot that sent Hearns crashing to the canvas.

Maxim-Robinson
This was a fight Robinson was on his way to winning the Light Heavyweight title as he was up on the scorecards but the heat on the day had his energy zapped and barely had enough energy to walk himself back to the corner as he eventually collapsed at the corner.

Margarito-Cotto
This was a very exciting fight that had Cotto fighting very well and boxing when he needed to, avoiding most of the shots needed and successfully returning even bigger ones of his own. Slowly, slowly Cotto was slowing a lil and Margs was getting to him more and more. Although Cotto did end up receiving a lot of punishment in the fight, by the end he seemed exhausted I think he physically couldn't push his body any further.

What you guys got?
Romulus9
Jermain Taylor vs. Carl Froch

Typical Taylor, gassing late in the fight.
Lil-lightsout
Bruce Seldon-Oliver McCall.

Just off memory I think it was on ESPN and Seldon was undefeated at the time. Well the musclebound Seldon got really fatigued as the fight wore on and McCall was hitting him in the body and Seldon just dropped and gave up. Actually he might have taken a knee a few times.

Calvin Grove- Jorge Paez I.

Again just off memory the fight was in a mexico bullring or something. Grove was dominating for most of the fight but in the last round he went down I think 3 times and lost the fight. Fatigue was a huge factor and he had nothing left in the tank by the last round.

Mark Breland-Aaron Davis.

I remember the fight being competitive, but I also remember Breland falling apart late and looked on rubbery legs when Davis KO'd him.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Jul 29 2011, 04:31 PM) *
Which fights do you feel a fighter lost due to exhaustion or at least that factor contributed to the defeat/stoppage?

Hagler-Hearns
The fight began at a furious pace and plenty of leather was being exchanged. By the 3rd round Hearns looked worn out and his legs seems like they turned into complete jelly, Hagler caught him with that final shot that sent Hearns crashing to the canvas.

Maxim-Robinson
This was a fight Robinson was on his way to winning the Light Heavyweight title as he was up on the scorecards but the heat on the day had his energy zapped and barely had enough energy to walk himself back to the corner as he eventually collapsed at the corner.

Margarito-Cotto
This was a very exciting fight that had Cotto fighting very well and boxing when he needed to, avoiding most of the shots needed and successfully returning even bigger ones of his own. Slowly, slowly Cotto was slowing a lil and Margs was getting to him more and more. Although Cotto did end up receiving a lot of punishment in the fight, by the end he seemed exhausted I think he physically couldn't push his body any further.

What you guys got?

Hearns lost because Hagler smashed his fucking skull not because he was tired. Don't buy that for a second I am afraid & I am a big Hearns fan.

Robinson lost because he was exhausted I give you that but Maxim was fighting in the same conditions & he stood up to it. Robinson was simply not as tough or well conditioned that night as Maxim was.

Cotto was exhausted because he was getting the fuck punched out of him. I put Cotto's "exhaustion" down to the body attack Margarito started with early paying dividends later in the fight.

Nice topic Viper but I think only one of the 3 you listed has any merit when it comes to exhaustion. The other were because they got busted up not because they were tired.

A better example would be Leonard vs Hearns I. Hearns was clearly winning but slowed down considerably due to the volume of punches he threw & Leonard cracked him good n proper (god it hurts to say that) when he saw his opening.
ViperSniper
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 29 2011, 08:09 AM) *
Hearns lost because Hagler smashed his fucking skull not because he was tired. Don't buy that for a second I am afraid & I am a big Hearns fan.

Robinson lost because he was exhausted I give you that but Maxim was fighting in the same conditions & he stood up to it. Robinson was simply not as tough or well conditioned that night as Maxim was.

Cotto was exhausted because he was getting the fuck punched out of him. I put Cotto's "exhaustion" down to the body attack Margarito started with early paying dividends later in the fight.

Nice topic Viper but I think only one of the 3 you listed has any merit when it comes to exhaustion. The other were because they got busted up not because they were tired.

A better example would be Leonard vs Hearns I. Hearns was clearly winning but slowed down considerably due to the volume of punches he threw & Leonard cracked him good n proper (god it hurts to say that) when he saw his opening.

The punch that put him down wasn't the most devastating punch but it was a good one, yet Hearns seemed like he collapsed due to being flat out fatigued as well. Hearns seemed gassed as anything at the start of the 3rd round and although he did cop alot of punishment due to the nature of the fight he was tired early in the fight.

Cotto lost to Margarito for a combination of reasons and I think Cotto being tired was not so much the main reason he lost the fight but one of the reasons the fight came to an end. As for Cotto he has shown to tire a lil down the stretch and yes all of those body shots as well as those uppercuts upstairs took it out of him. The way the fight came to an end Cotto seemed physically like the beatin man, yes, but he also appeared dead tired as well as he looked like he couldn't even keep himself on his feet and was wilting at the end. At the end he was broken down in that fight more than one way.
Romulus9
Junior Jones vs. Paul Ingle.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jul 29 2011, 03:38 PM) *
Junior Jones vs. Paul Ingle.

Man funny you should mention Paul Ingle. I seen him on Sky's ringside boxing show not two hours ago. Another one of boxings sad stories. He is unrecognisable now from a featherweight champ.

An arcticle from 2008 in case anyone is unaware of his story

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/mor...icle5333063.ece
Method
SRR.

Big Slim Sweet
Bowe-Holyfield 3 comes to mind. Holy had nothing that night and was laboring pretty badly throughout. Even when he had Bowe out on his feet in the 6th he didn't have the energy it seemed to try and get him out of there. The KO shot Holy wound up walking into he was basically coming forward, head down, no movement. Walked right into it.

And thinking of Bowe, what about Bowe-Golota 2? Golota became mentally exhausted from the strain of having to keep his punches up and finally at the end just succumbed to the frustration, blatantly cracking Bowe with a three-punch combo to the balls.
Big Slim Sweet
Tyson-Williams and Tyson-McBride come to mind as well
BoxingWizard23
Pascal in both Hopkins fights

Maidana in his fight against Khan

Young George Foreman. When he was younger his stamina drained quickly after 5 rounds but when he got older he trained better to increase it.

Tyson post prison

Jeff Lacy

Shannon Briggs pre Vitali Klits fight
Method
Pascal was losing both fights, man. Its one thing to be physically exhausted (SRR), its quite another to be mentally drained.
gravytrain
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 29 2011, 04:09 AM) *

Maxim didn't fight the same fight as Robinson.

SRR was pretty sick after that fight. he'd blisters all over his body and couldn't retain any food or liquids.
kingknockout
zab judah vs miguel cotto

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Frank Bruno against just about anyone (excluding Tyson who just crushed him) but in particular against Tim Witherspoon.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jul 30 2011, 01:12 PM) *
Maxim didn't fight the same fight as Robinson.

SRR was pretty sick after that fight. he'd blisters all over his body and couldn't retain any food or liquids.

He fought in the same conditions & that is what I was talking about. If Robinson did not pace himself to last the distance then that is his fault & really he should have known better.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jul 30 2011, 01:18 AM) *
Man funny you should mention Paul Ingle. I seen him on Sky's ringside boxing show not two hours ago. Another one of boxings sad stories. He is unrecognisable now from a featherweight champ.

An arcticle from 2008 in case anyone is unaware of his story

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/mor...icle5333063.ece

Always liked Ingle. Sad to see him in that condition now as he was a world class fighter.
SmartyBeardo
I think exhaustion played a part in Duk Koo Kim's death.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.