Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pavlik cancels fight...says there will be no fight with Bute
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
KOpower
My guess is that he is still drinking. Has to be. Pretty bad to cancel the fight just 5 days away in your own backyard. He also said he won't fight Bute next.

Pavlik looked pretty sloppy in his last fight. My guess is that he is never the same fighter he once was.
Eighty88Eight
QUOTE (KOpower @ Aug 2 2011, 01:02 PM) *
My guess is that he is still drinking. Has to be. Pretty bad to cancel the fight just 5 days away in your own backyard. He also said he won't fight Bute next.

Pavlik looked pretty sloppy in his last fight. My guess is that he is never the same fighter he once was.

where did you read about the Bute thing? I heard he pulled out of this fight and that's it. He must really need a drink right about now.
Romulus9
Tried to make him go to rehab and he said....

What? Too soon?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Aug 2 2011, 01:21 PM) *
Tried to make him go to rehab and he said....

What? Too soon?

No fair call.

It's actually pretty sad. I read somewhere where he said he didn't think it was a drinking problem but more the pressures of fame that got on top of him. At that point I thought nope this guy is still in denial.

At this point the best you could hope for with Pavlik is that he doesn't die.
KOpower
Yeah, Pavlik never owned up to anything. Even coming out of the clinic he still said he never had a problem in the first place. Then there was the fight with his brother and now this. I just don't think Kelly wants to fight right now.

I also don't believe his event was doing too well in Youngstown. There were a bunch of tickets left and people just weren't that interested. It sucks for the people of Youngstown who put the show together. Tons of lost money here.
caneman
I heard he scrapped this the so he could fight Bute! Now I hear Arum is saying he doesn't think Pavlik wants to fight EVER AGAIN! Fitz will like that part! lolzzzzzz
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 3 2011, 07:42 AM) *
No fair call.

It's actually pretty sad. I read somewhere where he said he didn't think it was a drinking problem but more the pressures of fame that got on top of him. At that point I thought nope this guy is still in denial.

At this point the best you could hope for with Pavlik is that he doesn't die.

I agree. I hope he can get through this. The work he will have to put in toarrest his addiction will be the same amount as what got him to being the undisputed world 160lb champion.
Cshel86
dntknw.gif Am I the only one sick of this bum? He couldn't even put away the last guy that he fought on the Pac/Mosley undercard (which sucked all together in my opinion). He kept pulling out of the Paul Williams fight and now this? Im damn near done with Top Rank fighters and their wack-ass windbag of a promoter
caneman
Pavlik found drunk on the beach!
SmartyBeardo
I don't call him 12 Step for nothin'.

Hope he can get his shit bagged.
Cshel86
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 2 2011, 10:32 PM) *
I don't call him 12 Step for nothin'.

Hope he can get his shit bagged.

Lol! I remember that name you gave him in another thread! The funniest part is that you were right haha.gif
caneman
http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/8/3/234213...ng-radio-quotes

Kelly Pavlik was on MaxBoxing Radio last night, and to say he really spoke his mind would be an understatement. Pavlik spoke about why he pulled out of Saturday's fight, why he's so upset with the pay proposed, and says he was told late that he would be making $50K to fight Darryl Cunningham and just over $1M to fight Lucian Bute.

Pavlik also insists this is purely business, and nothing about personal problems:

"So everybody thinks right now, ‘Oh, hey, you pulled out because of personal problems, this, that.’ No, I pulled out because I don’t need to fight no more…I will retire. I don’t need the money that bad. It ain’t going to happen. ... What they’re trying to do is cash out. They’re saving the money. They want to pay me $1.1 [million]. $3 million is there, but that’s what they’re cashing out on. They’re going to say, ‘You know what? We’re going to pocket $2 million. He’s going to lose the fight, and we’re done with him.’ And that’s it. That’s how it works. ... The whole thing comes down to I’m tired of playing the game."

Whether or not Top Rank is looking to cash out on Pavlik is debatable, but what Pavlik doesn't say -- since it's not good for his stance -- is that Top Rank would be looking to cash out for very good reasons. Things like the fact that Pavlik has bailed on five fights since 2009. Or the fact that he came back and looked exceptionally rusty in May, squeaking by an opponent that should have been easy for him, and was signed up to be easy for him. Seeing a limited future in Kelly Pavlik would not be unique to the people at Top Rank.

I also think Pavlik is a bit delusional about his current value and standing in boxing. That's just my feeling. He references paydays from fights that came a few years ago, when he was on top of his game and the legit middleweight champ with a lot of buzz. He just isn't that guy anymore. His brand name has dropped considerably.

Another one from FN... http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/loew-comme...situation-91640
EAlbian
yea he's no longer the fighter he once was and no longer carries the appeal he once did. That said he deserves a lot more than 50k for a fight, he's a 6 figure fighter still. He cries Kessler but Kessler sells out arenas in Denmark and people are willing to pay him for that. Kessler is also a lot more relevant right now. Pavlik shoulda left Top Rank when he had the chance. It's a shame but if Kelly thinks he's going to get any TV dates now he's sadly mistaken. He's damaged goods, with his recent antics he should have fought this one for free.

The other thing is he keeps talking about southpaws, he's a southpaw because it's a tuneup for Bute you F'ing moron
Fitz
Tried to warn you guys years ago.
caneman
BHop on Pavlik!!! lol click
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 3 2011, 05:22 PM) *
BHop on Pavlik!!! lol click

damn that was sum real shyt coming out of Bernard..
caneman
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Aug 3 2011, 05:52 PM) *

Yeah it was bro!!! After the fight I said after hearing what BHop said, that I could see him helping/training Pavlik and some others!
Method
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Aug 3 2011, 06:52 PM) *

That shit was real. Look, if Kelly gives a fuck about continuing w the the sport, then he should reach out and talk to Hopkins. If not, don't. Its really that simple. Forget all the life/experience lessons in and out of the ring, Hopkins can share the full range of stories when it comes to managerial/promotional issues. Of that Im pretty damn sure.

http://www.tout.com/m/d78upo

Cshel86
Okay, now I retract my statement from earlier, forgive me...I actually read why he backed out of the fight. $50k for a hometown bout, and he just made $275k in his last bout?! Though he is starting to suck due to inactivity and lackluster opponents, no fighter of his caliber (due to what he has brought to the sport) deserve a wack ass $50k payday. Damn, he's only lost two fights...I see if he lost 4 or 5 in a row. What a kick in the ass and a slap on the back of the head no2.gif Thats money that upcoming fighters make on Friday Night Fights...what a rip. My bad Pavlik...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 4 2011, 01:44 AM) *
$50,000 is an insult, unless there are reasons for it. If he actually has plenty of money, I can't blame him for getting out of the business. Wouldn't blame him for pulling out in favor of something real, instead of having your opponent take a pathetic dive in the first.

I still like 12 Step.

I'm sure he does. Woodstocks are not that expensive.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 4 2011, 07:52 PM) *
I'm sure he does. Woodstocks are not that expensive.

Prices are rising.

Woodstock 8% as endorsed by KP
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 4 2011, 04:58 AM) *

Damn, I thought they were inflation proof.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 4 2011, 08:00 PM) *
Damn, I thought they were inflation proof.

Mind you that is the 8% abv stuff.
caneman
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 4 2011, 06:10 AM) *

Good shit Fitz, man I wish we could pull up the old EZ boards from back in the day like the time around the Hopkins/Trinidad fight...there was some classic shit in these threads! I always wondered how many of those guys were still around and what their names are now!

On another note, I was crazy to bet you that Pavlik would beat BHop, one cause how much I love BHop but I just could see him let his hands go, and even if I thought he won, I figured he'd get fucked by the judges for not letting his hands go! And it was amazing you didn't rape me me with some fucked up sig....I deserved it betting against my man BHop!
Eighty88Eight
they should pay Pavlik $50,000 to fight his demons
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Congrats Ben you've done it again. Now I'm not sure I believe everything Pavlik said in that front page exclusive but that shit was some real deal stuff. That interview for sure is gonna create some waves in boxing. I bet Rafeal has plagarized half of it already and claiming it as his own laugh.gif
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 5 2011, 09:14 PM) *
Congrats Ben you've done it again. Now I'm not sure I believe everything Pavlik said in that front page exclusive but that shit was some real deal stuff. That interview for sure is gonna create some waves in boxing. I bet Rafeal has plagarized half of it already and claiming it as his own laugh.gif

Agreed. That was a great interview & straight from the heart. I like Pavlik & I can understand why some don't but he makes some fucking good points.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.