Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eric Morales vs Lucas Matthysse
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
True-Boxing-Fan
Word is out that Barrios is out and Matthysse is in. Man the Ortiz-mayweather undercard is getting awesome I'm liking the undercard. I'm so glad Barrios is out and Matthysse is in. My guess is that the WBC is trying to have a credibility as to having this fight for bradleys stripped title. Morales-Barrios was a joke of a title fight. What do y'all think.
Jack 1000
That's a much better opponent than Barrios!

Jack
EAlbian
I feel bad for Morales who now has a legit fight on his hands instead of a gimmie. I don't like this match up for him(didn't like Maidana either tho). I think Mathyesse can do more than Maidana, isn't as crude of a brawler. Should be interesting and the card looks like the best in recent years so far
Cshel86
Let's not forget that Morales is more of a boxer than a brawler any day of the week. Im sure that he wont have a hard time with Matthysse, because he did a decent job against Maidana...though he lost by a pubic hair. Maidana is waaaay busier than Matthysse, so I can count on Morales to bank the early rounds just as Alexander and Judah did. Then Matthysse will put up a bit of a fight towards the end, then complain about losing a split decision at the end of the night...typical Matthysse.

If this is true, then Im happy for Matthysse, because I dont see any way that his name would've been back in the mix if Morales fought Crolla or Barrios, then fought Khan in December. He now has a big opportunity on the big stage (once again), so his best bet is to not fuck it up like he has done lately. The names on this PPV card is ridiculous! Golden Boy is doing what needs to be done and making these PPV cards worth paying for...just as they did with the Morales/Maidana PPV card.
Hotsauce
this is a great undercard.

this is really STAR POWER!!
caneman
GBP is kicking the shit outta Top Ranks cards! Morrales is gonna get fucked up I think, I wish he would stop before he gets hurt! SMH
PColeman28
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Aug 2 2011, 01:31 PM) *
Word is out that Barrios is out and Matthysse is in. Man the Ortiz-mayweather undercard is getting awesome I'm liking the undercard. I'm so glad Barrios is out and Matthysse is in. My guess is that the WBC is trying to have a credibility as to having this fight for bradleys stripped title. Morales-Barrios was a joke of a title fight. What do y'all think.

Yea i like this undercard also i'm excited for sept 17 not so much just the for the main event, but for the undercard
Snoop
First decent card I've seen in a while. Hopefully the other promoters will follow suit.
SmartyBeardo
Gotta hand it to 'em, they are making this thing live up to its title.

Matthysse will defeat Morales in a good scrap. I think this sets up for a battle against the victor of Maidana v Guerrero.
D-MARV
Unfortunately, Morales will get served!

This isn't a bum ass Maidana he has to fight.
kidbazooka1
I think Maidana is better than matthyyse if Morales figths the way he did in the maidana fight he should win.
Cshel86
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Aug 3 2011, 12:02 AM) *
I think Maidana is better than matthyyse if Morales figths the way he did in the maidana fight he should win.

Thank you!
ViperSniper
I'm glad Matthysse is getting a shot! This is a dramatic change in opponent for Morales who is now in a legit fight as an underdog. I don't see how Morales leaves this fight without taken some serious leather by the heavy hittin Argentine. This should be a decent scrap coming our way!
Seek
Morales should take this. Matthysse is more one-dimensional fighter than Maidana. Maidana lacks going to the body but he is much better at what he does than Matthysse. Should be an exciting fight
Seek
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 3 2011, 10:31 AM) *
Hope you aren't putting money on that. Morales will not be stopping Matthysse. This is not Devon Holyfield-Alexander in St Louis, but it is a Mexican legend fighting on their independence day. Morales only hope is a close decision, but first he has to get there.

This will be a good measuring stick between Matthysse and Maidana. I could see them both losing close decisions leading to their showdown on the undercard of another big fight.

Matthysse must know by now that he has to stop his opponents in order to get the W. I think he will stop Morales.

Skill-wise, Morales is on a completely different level. Since his come-back he has looked sluggish. Matthysse isn't bad I just don't see him being as much of a problem as Maidana whom I feel is the better fighter. Of course I aint going to predict a stoppage but Morales should win this decisively. Too many angles and counter-punching coming from Morales who can fight coming forward, backward and on the inside. Maidana was effective because he punches from all sorts of crazy angles and wide shots however Matthysse is your typical come-forward fighter. He's slow and he also is a slow-starter. He can mix it up both head and body but doesn't put enough punches together or hit as hard as Maidana to take the W. Again Morales will win this UD bet on it
Seek
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 3 2011, 12:11 PM) *
Your money may well be living elsewhere after this. Matthysse is a better boxer than Maidana and he has more power, IMO. But, as I said earlier, Morales could get the independence day gift decision.

Saying Matthysse is a better boxer doesn't mean anything and he certainly does not hit harder than Maidana. Matthysse come forward behind an okay jab, is slow, has a nice 1, 2 and does some good body work but loads up his punches too much with no head movement or angles. Style-wise he is tailor-made for Morales. Maidana was only effective because he punches from odd wide looping angles and is much quicker on his feet and hand-speed than Matthysse will ever be. Only thing that makes me believe Morales doesn't completely dominate Matthysse is his sluggishness. Matthysse isn't the brute ko artist he wants to be like Maidana and isn't skilled nor talented enough to put on a dominating performance. Sure the Judah and Alexander fight was close but come on Judah and Alexander...? Enough said. This is El Terrible he is fighting. He's out of his league
Seek
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 3 2011, 12:33 PM) *
Yeah, you're right, Matthysse isn't in the washed up and living on the fumes of a HOF career league. If you are right, I will be first to congratulate Morales. If you are wrong, your money will be residing elsewhere, along with everybody else that is foolish enough to believe you.

Nobody has to be foolish enough to pick a champion in possibly 4 weight divisions, hall of famer and known for his technical skills and heart who nearly beat Maidana with one eye in his last fight. What would be foolish is to pick a guy who can't win a title to save his life against the likes of Zab Judah and Devon Alexander.
BoxingWizard23
QUOTE (Seek @ Aug 3 2011, 12:48 PM) *
Nobody has to be foolish enough to pick a champion in possibly 4 weight divisions, hall of famer and known for his technical skills and heart who nearly beat Maidana with one eye in his last fight. What would be foolish is to pick a guy who can't win a title to save his life against the likes of Zab Judah and Devon Alexander.

His fights against them were both close but the Alexander fight was def a robbery. He was punishing Devon in the middle and later rounds. Judah beat him becuz he outboxed him in the first half of the fight and the beginning of the 2nd half. Matthysse is a slow starter and came back and almost closed the show. Don't be foolish both were arguably some homecooked decisions.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Seek @ Aug 3 2011, 11:04 AM) *
Morales should take this. Matthysse is more one-dimensional fighter than Maidana. Maidana lacks going to the body but he is much better at what he does than Matthysse. Should be an exciting fight

Delusional??? dntknw.gif
BoxingWizard23
This will be a good fight. In my opinion Matthysse is better than Maidana. He can box, go to the body, sets up combinations, and has KO power. Maidana just knows how to brawl better, come forward better, knows how to cut off the ring better and I think Maidana hits harder.

Man I would love Maidana to KO Guerrero even though I like The Ghost but this will most likely set up a match up between the Maidana vs Guerrero winner. And a Maidana vs Matthysse fight would be an instant classic. Matthysse you must win this fight at all cost I must see the Twin Iron Fisted Argentinians have a civil war. For the sake of boxing....KO GUERRERO, KO MORALES as much as I love Morales he's still a legend with or without the 4 weight division belts as a Mexican. Please...I must see the fight...I must...an instant war classic waiting to happen.
Seek
QUOTE (BoxingWizard23 @ Aug 3 2011, 01:11 PM) *
His fights against them were both close but the Alexander fight was def a robbery. He was punishing Devon in the middle and later rounds. Judah beat him becuz he outboxed him in the first half of the fight and the beginning of the 2nd half. Matthysse is a slow starter and came back and almost closed the show. Don't be foolish both were arguably some homecooked decisions.

I think he did enough to win the fight vs Alexander but there is an aspect of his game that is missing. This fight vs Morales may be his last chance to win a real title. Guerrero and Brandon Rios will beat him as well
BoxingWizard23
QUOTE (Seek @ Aug 3 2011, 01:18 PM) *
I think he did enough to win the fight vs Alexander but there is an aspect of his game that is missing. This fight vs Morales may be his last chance to win a real title. Guerrero and Brandon Rios will beat him as well

Fuck that. He's a mix between a boxer and a crude brawler. The only aspects of his game that he's missing is defence and he has the chin to cover that. But his footwork is also better than Maidana's so what aspect are you saying he's missing. Maybe speed or hand speed. His stamina has no problems. He's just a slow starter. If he wasn't such a slow starter he would've KO'd Judah and if Alexander didn't have the chin he has he would've gotten KO'd for eating all of those hellacious shots he was taking.. Morales will not be just facing a brawler he will also be facing someone who can box a tad bit and who goes to the body.
Cshel86
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 3 2011, 12:11 PM) *
Your money may well be living elsewhere after this. Matthysse is a better boxer than Maidana and he has more power, IMO. But, as I said earlier, Morales could get the independence day gift decision.

Lol! I almost forgot about Mexican Independce Day that weekend. I see Morales pulling off a decision, but I definitely dont see him winning by way of stoppage. Matthysse has a puncher's chance due to his power, but I have to somewhat disagree with ya on the fact that Matthysse is a better boxer than Maidana. I say "somewhat disagree" because in my opinion, neither of the two (Matthysse and Maidana) are boxers to me. If I had to, I would label Maidana somewhat a better boxer than Matthysse, because of how busy he is in the ring. Lucas fails to pick up the pace and put his punches together, therefore he always gets the short end of the stick when its time to go the scorecards. If Maidana wasn't as busy as he was in the Morales fight (especially in the last two rounds), then they would've given that fight to Morales. Agree?

The only fight that Maidana wasn't as busy in, was the Khan fight, because Khan moved around the whole time and Maidana's defense (or lack there of) sucked ass. It's weird to me because Maidana's assignments haven't been as hard (except for the Khan fight) because his opponents always come to fight tooth-to-nail, but Matthysse on the other hand, always gets stuck with quick ass fighters that move well (Judah & Alexander), and always appears to be in over his head before the fight starts. No fighter is going to run the risk of standing in front of him and trading, because they are aware of his power, smh. Sucks for him...hope he doesn't blow it on the 17th unsure.gif
Seek
QUOTE (BoxingWizard23 @ Aug 3 2011, 01:17 PM) *
This will be a good fight. In my opinion Matthysse is better than Maidana. He can box, go to the body, sets up combinations, and has KO power. Maidana just knows how to brawl better, come forward better, knows how to cut off the ring better and I think Maidana hits harder.

Man I would love Maidana to KO Guerrero even though I like The Ghost but this will most likely set up a match up between the Maidana vs Guerrero winner. And a Maidana vs Matthysse fight would be an instant classic. Matthysse you must win this fight at all cost I must see the Twin Iron Fisted Argentinians have a civil war. For the sake of boxing....KO GUERRERO, KO MORALES as much as I love Morales he's still a legend with or without the 4 weight division belts as a Mexican. Please...I must see the fight...I must...an instant war classic waiting to happen.

Fair enough. Matthysse mixes it up well, he goes up top, back downstairs, very nice 1,2 and good power. However I find Maidana's way of fighting more effective. While both he and Maidana aren't the most talented or skilled fighters, Maidana knows how to get the job done and thats due to his balls to the wall kill you or be killed approach. I don't expect Morales to destroy Matthysse in any fashion but I do expect a clear cut win not only in the eyes of the judges but the public as well. Good fight for boxing
Seek
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 3 2011, 01:11 PM) *
Delusional??? dntknw.gif

Maidana can go to the body don't get me wrong. When I say lack of I mean he is capable of doing more effective body work. Once he hurts his opponent he starts head hunting, rather than going head body head body. Matthysse does a nice job of this
Eighty88Eight
didn't maidana score a knockout to the body a couple fights ago? i seem to recall him landing some pretty tough body punches against Ortiz too.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Seek @ Aug 3 2011, 01:45 PM) *
Maidana can go to the body don't get me wrong. When I say lack of I mean he is capable of doing more effective body work. Once he hurts his opponent he starts head hunting, rather than going head body head body. Matthysse does a nice job of this

Oh okay, I get your point. Glad you cleared that up for me.
Jack 1000
I think the WBC is going to want to give Erik another world championship. Two judges will side with Erik. I am gonna go with Morales by a close controversial, SD, because I just think Matthysse can't or won't get a break. I am a huge Morales fan! However, I also believe there's a lot of politics involved in getting Morales this fight, and that could make a difference in the scoring. Morales is still a far bigger money-maker than "hard luck" Matthysse.

Jack
EAlbian
If you can't see that Mathyesse is a better boxer than Maidana than i don't know what sport you are watching. Lucas moves better, has fluidity, and sets his shots up behind a jab. Maidana charges in, throws his punches from his hips, and his combinations are nonexistent unless you are stationary against the ropes. He has horrible footwork and technique but great thudding power, an iron chin, and an indomitable spirit. You have a much better chance to outbox Maidana than you do Mathyesse, if you can stay on your bike and give Maidana angles there is nothing he can do(don't talk about his fight with Khan because Khan has no lateral movement and all he does is pull straight back, easy for a hard charging guy like Maidana to eat a couple on the way in and punish Khan against the ropes in a small ring). I'm not saying i think Mathyesse is necessarily the better "fighter" but he is the better "boxer" which doesn't fair well for Morales who no longer really has the mobility to out maneuver an opponent like this. He will get stopped and I'd be willing to bet on this. Maidana overlooked Morales and he edged out a decision, you guys make it seem like Morales is back. He was slapped around by David diaz like 5 years ago and totally outclassed by Raheem(hasn't looked like himself since Pac 1), Mathyesse stops any form of David Diaz
caneman
This fight is now signed and official...what a great undercard this is shaping up to be! GREAT JOB GBP!
lloyd mayflower
I reckon Morales spirited performance against Maidana, good as it was, was a one off. Lets not forget he lost that fight, and I was convinced at the time Maidana took it a bit lightly. I think Maidana takes a rematch clearly and I think Matthyse will do the same. Morales had his chance, he came up just a little short unfortunately.
EAlbian
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Aug 3 2011, 03:36 PM) *
I reckon Morales spirited performance against Maidana, good as it was, was a one off. Lets not forget he lost that fight, and I was convinced at the time Maidana took it a bit lightly. I think Maidana takes a rematch clearly and I think Matthyse will do the same. Morales had his chance, he came up just a little short unfortunately.

Exactly, i agree 100%. I've seen stranger things happen in the sport but i just dont see how Morales wins this one. He should have had a rematch with Maidana or fight IV with Barerra and cashed out.
Fitz
Matthysse is better than Maidana IMO. He looks better skilled, and unlike Maidana, Mattysse uses his jab pretty well for a fighter like him. He just looks smarter in the ring, and has a game plan that he sticks to. Maidana just throws away and is kinda awkward. I like Matthysse much more as a fighter.
Matthysse should win this one, though pulling for Morales, as he is one of my favourites of all time. I like both these guys though, should be interesting.
Seek
QUOTE (BoxingWizard23 @ Aug 3 2011, 01:23 PM) *
Fuck that. He's a mix between a boxer and a crude brawler. The only aspects of his game that he's missing is defence and he has the chin to cover that. But his footwork is also better than Maidana's so what aspect are you saying he's missing. Maybe speed or hand speed. His stamina has no problems. He's just a slow starter. If he wasn't such a slow starter he would've KO'd Judah and if Alexander didn't have the chin he has he would've gotten KO'd for eating all of those hellacious shots he was taking.. Morales will not be just facing a brawler he will also be facing someone who can box a tad bit and who goes to the body.

And I don't disagree with you. Matthysse can do all those things and is the better boxer than Maidana but style-wise doesn't pose a problem for Morales imo. Morales can jab with him, counter him, fight on the backfoot and turn Matthysse. Matthysse is slow, a slow starter and doesn't have the work rate. What makes Maidana so successful is his relentless pressure combined with power and both foot and hand speed. From round 1 forward you are in a real fight. Morales can block, slip and counter you when you come forward boxing like Matthysse but if you got wide looping punches coming from all angles, it forces you to fight his fight and eliminates your skill advantage in a lot of cases. Cliche but styles make fights and Morales is clearly the man to pick in this one

When they were all saying Morales was committing suicide fighting Maidana, I said it would be a very close fight but still picked Maidana by a small margin. Hopefully i'm right again and im sticking with Morales by clear cut UD, NOT by a robbery gift decision either like Matthysse Alexander
Big Slim Sweet
This should be a fun fight no question, but how the fuck do two boxers coming off losses fight for a vacant title?

Matthysse is a better boxer than Maidana but he's not as tough. This whole thing was concocted to get Morales his 4th title. It's on the Mexican Independence Day PPV. The deck looks pretty stacked. GBP has eyes on a Khan-Morales fight December 10 for undisputed at 140.
JONdaCON817
im thinkin this card will do record PPV numbers!! Wow GBP is fisting Bob Arum right now!! i think May is gonna make Pac look BAD when they compare their numbers.
caneman
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Aug 3 2011, 06:03 PM) *
im thinkin this card will do record PPV numbers!! Wow GBP is fisting Bob Arum right now!! i think May is gonna make Pac look BAD when they compare their numbers.

When you compare Pac's undercards with one, it's easy to see why and it comes down to Arum not doing his job IMO!
Seek
QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 3 2011, 07:26 PM) *
When you compare Pac's undercards with one, it's easy to see why and it comes down to Arum not doing his job IMO!

GBP definitely targeting all the mexican and hispanic fans. Championship boxing with BIG names in BIG fights. Keep in mind though Bob Arum is doing big things as well. The likes of Brandon Rios and Timothy Bradley have been seriously considered for the Pacquiao Marquez undercard. I don't know how you can top Canelo, Morales, Ortiz. Maybe Chavez Jr and Barrera? Marquez, Barrera, Chavez Jr., Rios and Bradley? That sounds about right
JONdaCON817
Canelo/Gomez, Morales/Matthysee, Mayweather/Ortiz.... that sounds like a card!!

i doubt Arum can top that.. he has the fighters to do it but he wont because he'd prolly rather those names headline their own card.. Deff not the smart thing to do but it will make HIM more money so thats probably the route hes looking to take...

i wonder if De La Fishnets being in Rehab has anything to do with such a stacced card.. this is by far the best Card weve seen in recent years..
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Aug 3 2011, 07:05 PM) *

i wonder if De La Fishnets being in Rehab has anything to do with such a stacced card.. this is by far the best Card weve seen in recent years..

Just a quick question Jon the con. Why is it you spell words that have a "ck"' in it you spell it with "cc", like stacked or "stacced" or back with "bacc" or words like that. Is your gang going to get mad at you if you spell those words correctly or something? Lol Why do you do that?
BoxingWizard23
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Aug 3 2011, 11:26 PM) *
Just a quick question Jon the con. Why is it you spell words that have a "ck"' in it you spell it with "cc", like stacked or "stacced" or back with "bacc" or words like that. Is your gang going to get mad at you if you spell those words correctly or something? Lol Why do you do that?

LOL!!!
gravytrain
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Aug 3 2011, 10:05 PM) *

i doubt Arum can top that.. he has the fighters to do it but he wont because he'd prolly rather those names headline their own card.. Deff not the smart thing to do but it will make HIM more money so thats probably the route hes looking to take...

i think it's just business. GBP wants to kill the numbers Arum's card will do. there are more Mexicans on this card than a Tornado bus
Cshel86
I just saw some pictures of Morales on another website, as he attended a press conference in TX. Im concerned because dude looks heavy and waaaay out of shape, and it almost seems as if he forgot that he has a fight next month. He looked the same way before his 3rd fight with Pac, then came to the weigh-in looking like a raisin no2.gif

I dont want pay $60 for this PPV card, and Morales goes out their and gets handled because he is exhausted from weight loss. I also realize that fighters do gain weight in between fights, but c'mon Erik, dont come to a presser looking like you would the weekend after Thanksgiving man nea.gif Not cool at all El Terrible...
caneman
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 5 2011, 08:45 AM) *
I just saw some pictures of Morales on another website, as he attended a press conference in TX. Im concerned because dude looks heavy and waaaay out of shape, and it almost seems as if he forgot that he has a fight next month. He looked the same way before his 3rd fight with Pac, then came to the weigh-in looking like a raisin no2.gif

I dont want pay $60 for this PPV card, and Morales goes out their and gets handled because he is exhausted from weight loss. I also realize that fighters do gain weight in between fights, but c'mon Erik, dont come to a presser looking like you would the weekend after Thanksgiving man nea.gif Not cool at all El Terrible...

That is one one his biggest problems...I don't know for sure but it looks like he goes up to 180+ between fights! That shit ain't good for you!
caneman
He does look better in the face than come fight weigh in though!!! https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...5353&type=1
Cshel86
QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 5 2011, 10:23 AM) *
He does look better in the face than come fight weigh in though!!! https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...5353&type=1

These are the same pics I saw on boxingscene.com. Erik looks retired, lol...
EAlbian
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 5 2011, 10:35 AM) *
Matthysse is about to make it official.

+1
sduck
Alvarez and Morales? Most money is definitely going to be made from the mexican audience.

Matthysse should win this easily. Morales should hang the gloves up now... sorry. I personally think Matthysse should still be undefeated.
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Aug 3 2011, 10:26 PM) *

lol... yes. they micro-manage everything i say online then they tell my OG where i fucced up at... if i fucc up enough theyll revoke my G-Pass...

NOOO ASSHOLE, its juss force of habit. i cant help my gangsta ways babyyyy. lol
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 4 2011, 11:04 AM) *
Early signs of Alzheimer's.

i think the weed will get to me before the Alzheimers kiccs in but it does run in my Family!!

my Grandma is in her final stages of it... i used to tell her it was my Birthday everyday... LMAO.

I used to locc her out the house then run around out front and ask her who locced themselves in our house... it was fun while it lasted!!... ='(
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.