Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HGH Testing in the NFL (How Could This Impact Boxing?)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
checkHook
(Admin note: Info added for topic title to focus on boxing for the boxing forum.)

The National Football League has become the first major sports league to have year round RANDOM BLOOD TESTING for its athletes. What does this mean for all other sports?

I for one believe that this is very momentous. Policy has finally caught up to the science: No amount of urine testing will detect HGH and other PED's like it. In my estimation it's no longer a question of if, but when other major sports will follow suit. In the past, each individual sport could point to another and say in essence "We have the same drug testing methods as that sport over there." Case closed.

Not anymore. Especially since the most popular sport in the United States has taken the lead. But how about combat sports? So, what say you fight fans? How long before combat sports (MMA and Boxing) adopt a program similar to this where blood testing is mandatory?
HaydelHammer
When boxing is consolidated and under one umbrella .....I can see it happening.....right now....nope.

The nfl is a league...it has a commissioner..it's consolidated. Testing has basically been agreed (from what I understand by the players, owners and league) that a % of the total revenues of the "NFL Brand" will be needed to fund this testing with this new CBA deal. Basically it will pay for itself and nobody will miss the $$$ b/c it's allotted for a certain expense named "blood testing"

Boxing is unorganized, so who is going to foot the bill for the tests? Who will make it mandatory across the globe since boxing is a global sport? Organizations like the UFC and Strikeforce can do it because they are consolidated under one umbrella (Zuffa) that will foot the bill, so it's all on them to pull that trigger (and yes..these mma boys are juiced out of their freaking minds)

Again boxing is behind the 8 ball on mandatory anything imo. They can't even truly fine a guy for not fighting his mandatory...hell the boxer would simply give up his "belt" and say to hell with that organizations belt and fight for top dollar using his name as the brand to levy the fans vs somebody else.

A universal league is what is needed first in boxing imo. How do you guys feel? Does this even make sense or am I way off? As a boxer, i'm barely making scratch why would I pay tons of $$$ for a test? Should the promoters pay? Who will make them pay? Somebody has to hold that big bill for ALL the boxers on the planet fighting pro....who will this person/organization be?

Eighty88Eight
All it requires is for the national commissions to require blood testing along with urine testing. Simply testing for blood 3 times during the build up to a fight is a deterrent. That might not be possible now, but it isn't a stretch.
jlupi
national commissions to require blood testing along with urine testing>>>>

and again who pays? as said before its a global sport. many fights are out of the US. some states have no commission. Some commissions have no money. Hell NY, one of the richer commissions, put its commissioner on a per-diam instead of full time salary due to budget cuts
Eighty88Eight
QUOTE (jlupi @ Aug 9 2011, 02:02 PM) *
national commissions to require blood testing along with urine testing>>>>

and again who pays? as said before its a global sport. many fights are out of the US. some states have no commission. Some commissions have no money. Hell NY, one of the richer commissions, put its commissioner on a per-diam instead of full time salary due to budget cuts

promoters. how much can a blood test cost? a handful of blood tests isn't going to make anybody suppress a sneeze because of its cost.
PColeman28
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Aug 9 2011, 07:26 AM) *
When boxing is consolidated and under one umbrella .....I can see it happening.....right now....nope.

The nfl is a league...it has a commissioner..it's consolidated. Testing has basically been agreed (from what I understand by the players, owners and league) that a % of the total revenues of the "NFL Brand" will be needed to fund this testing with this new CBA deal. Basically it will pay for itself and nobody will miss the $$$ b/c it's allotted for a certain expense named "blood testing"

Boxing is unorganized, so who is going to foot the bill for the tests? Who will make it mandatory across the globe since boxing is a global sport? Organizations like the UFC and Strikeforce can do it because they are consolidated under one umbrella (Zuffa) that will foot the bill, so it's all on them to pull that trigger (and yes..these mma boys are juiced out of their freaking minds)

Again boxing is behind the 8 ball on mandatory anything imo. They can't even truly fine a guy for not fighting his mandatory...hell the boxer would simply give up his "belt" and say to hell with that organizations belt and fight for top dollar using his name as the brand to levy the fans vs somebody else.

A universal league is what is needed first in boxing imo. How do you guys feel? Does this even make sense or am I way off? As a boxer, i'm barely making scratch why would I pay tons of $$$ for a test? Should the promoters pay? Who will make them pay? Somebody has to hold that big bill for ALL the boxers on the planet fighting pro....who will this person/organization be?

I agree, i think it's a lot harder to do in boxing, i suppose companies Like HBO and Showtime can require the testing or the fighters don't fight on there networks, but i suppose even that would be difficult...nevermind lol this is hard to do period.....i have no idea how this could work in boxing

HaydelHammer
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 9 2011, 03:53 PM) *
promoters. how much can a blood test cost? a handful of blood tests isn't going to make anybody suppress a sneeze because of its cost.

that's just it ..it's not a "blood test" it's testing year round-random. I believe andre ward did some research and disclosed it could cost 50,000 - 100,000 for 7 to 8 weeks of random testing for one fight alone.

Now multiply that by every professional boxing match on the planet for an entire year. If there are 500 pro fights a year for example...who will pay the $25,000,000 to possible $50,000,000 yearly (this is only for 500 pro fight estimate) Who is going to pay that?
jlupi
exactly it cant happen in boxing the way its currently organized. If a elite org took over (not happening) the top echelon of boxing (like ufc/nfl) it could be done for those boxers but never the entire sport. Just as it will never happen for all MMA the world over.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.