Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Showtime:Agbeko vs. Mares@ 10PM(ET)/7PM(PT) SPOILERS 15 Mins. Later
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
For all on-going and post fight comments to tonight's Agbeko-Perez fight. Keep everything in this thread.

Jack

Administrator
Cshel86
Damn Im wondering if they are going to bullshit all the way up until the fight. I guess I thought that there was going to be a preliminary bout dntknw.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 13 2011, 10:05 PM) *
Agbeko's problems making weight do not bode well for him against a young, tough lion known for his body attack.

True. Not only that, but he didn't sound too sure of himself either.
Cshel86
Mares is workin' quick as hell!
Mean Mister Mustard
Mares has an uncanny ability to make you square up for his body shots. Great round for him.
leonthegee
This ref sucks. How many times is he gonna let Mares get away with low blows.
Cshel86
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Aug 13 2011, 10:36 PM) *
This ref sucks. How many times is he gonna let Mares get away with low blows.

Tell me about it no2.gif
Cshel86
Nasty right hand by Agbeko! Oooh shit!!!
caneman
Mares is going a bit low but this is heating up bigtime!
Cshel86
Im convinced that this ref is being paid under the table by somebody...
Mean Mister Mustard
Worst ref in a long time.
Box in Hand
Horrible Ref job, worst I have seen in a very very long time. Mares can't hold his head high after that shit, he got Golota disease. Fucking ref needs to go to ESPN.
caneman
Really bad ref...how could he not see all those low blows? He should never ref another fight!
HaydelHammer
I would have told my fighter to go out there the entire 12th and bomb away with low blows.
HaydelHammer
damn jim grey went hard. LOL
Mean Mister Mustard
Jim Grey actually seemed like the good guy for once.
HaydelHammer
lmao this mares guy is completely delusional.
gravytrain
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Aug 13 2011, 11:19 PM) *
I would have told my fighter to go out there the entire 12th and bomb away with low blows.

Agbeko would have got DQed
caneman
With the low blows and a good ref, I think that fight might have a loss or even DQ! I mean there were a lot on the belt line but damn! Mares needs to keep his punches up some!
Box in Hand
Not all that impressed with Mares. He can't escape a jab or right hand and his illegal tactics are to be ashamed of.
HaydelHammer
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 13 2011, 11:24 PM) *
Agbeko would have got DQed

probably after the first one he landed the way this fight was going.

and that ref is delusional also. this was insane.
Cshel86
Mares is shit! The ref was shit as well, and he could barely answer the questions Jim Grey asked. Agbeko didn't look his best tonight, but it wasn't cool to take all of those low blows without Mares being held responsible.
AussieLad
Should be interesting to see if the Darchinyan rematch actually happens, considering the formal protest about the refereeing and low blows in both matches (Darch and Agbeko). Havent seen tonights fight, but from what is being said here i would assume Agbeko will also protest the refereeing. Which takes precedence?
checkHook
CotDamn the Fix is in.
gravytrain
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Aug 13 2011, 11:31 PM) *
Should be interesting to see if the Darchinyan rematch actually happens, considering the formal protest about the refereeing and low blows in both matches (Darch and Agbeko). Havent seen tonights fight, but from what is being said here i would assume Agbeko will also protest the refereeing. Which takes precedence?

it's pretty bad, Aussie. the ref let Mares get away with them all night. he's even standing right in front of Agbeko and Mares put him on a knee from a low blow and the ref ruled it a KD. there's no way he didn't see it's an illegal punch.
BigG
I have to watch it again but I thought Mares probably won most rounds but wtf at the low blows man...Mares should have had at least 3 points deducted. There should be a rematch.
Aware
Wait! Why wasn't/isn't anybody complaining about the knockdown in the first round? That was clearly a slip after a wild punch.
HaydelHammer
QUOTE (Aware @ Aug 13 2011, 11:38 PM) *
Wait! Why wasn't/isn't anybody complaining about the knockdown in the first round? That was clearly a slip after a wild punch.

it was overshadowed by the 13 low blows. lol
caneman
lolz, I don't know about Mares being shit, that is funny to me! He does need to keep those punches up though and should really work on that! In most cases he would have been DQed tonight!
caneman
QUOTE (BigG @ Aug 13 2011, 10:37 PM) *
I have to watch it again but I thought Mares probably won most rounds but wtf at the low blows man...Mares should have had at least 3 points deducted. There should be a rematch.

This
Jack 1000
Worst ref job I have seen in many years! I either had it 8-4 or 7-5 for Mares. But I think Mora should be investigated by the commission for his neglect of the low blows and that hideous and almost scandalous miss of the low blow in the 11th round.

You almost wonder with Mares being in the Delahoya, Golden Boy, WBC, Mexican fighter bias base that the system has accused itself of in the past, was this ref almost afraid to penalize or did someone tell him not to penalize Mares for being "The Star Fighter?" It just seems to fit. Because Mr. Mora has not had issues in the past. He did everything in his power to favor the "Star." Sure Joseph was the champion, but it Mares with the higher marketability, and the big "0" that they need to protect.

Jack
SENTRAL
One of the most incompetent refereeing displays I have ever seen and there is absolutely no doubt in my eyes - he was quite simply paid off.  This is corruption of the highest order, I honestly could not believe what I was seeing.  Ridiculous, disgusting, disgraceful and quite simply there absolutely HAS to be an investigation into this.  This ref, he's the same guy who deducted two points from Katsidis WITHOUT warning.  He ruined the fight, ruined my night and he tainted the sport of boxing.  He MUST NEVER referee a fight again after this despicable show of incompetence.  And to think I was building this fight up, looking forward to a fight of the year candidate and we all end up being robbed by the 3rd man.  Disgusting.  Jim Gray took no prisoners!
Jack 1000
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Aug 14 2011, 02:00 AM) *
One of the most incompetent refereeing displays I have ever seen and there is absolutely no doubt in my eyes - he was quite simply paid off.  This is corruption of the highest order, I honestly could not believe what I was seeing.  Ridiculous, disgusting, disgraceful and quite simply there absolutely HAS to be an investigation into this.  This ref, he's the same guy who deducted two points from Katsidis WITHOUT warning.  He ruined the fight, ruined my night and he tainted the sport of boxing.  He MUST NEVER referee a fight again after this despicable show of incompetence.  And to think I was building this fight up, looking forward to a fight of the year candidate and we all end up being robbed by the 3rd man.  Disgusting.  Jim Gray took no prisoners!

Let's talk about the corruption theory,

Nobody likes to do that, but this was reminiscent of Roger Tillerman's officiating in the Ottke-Reid fight. That's another spectacle you have to see to believe. The single most corrupt fight that I ever saw where everyone appeared to be corrupt was Coggi-Gonzalez I. However, I don't want to indulge too much into those fights, because this was a case were the judging was good, going into the fight was good, the fighters did what they had to do in giving us a decent fight. But everything was shit on and fucked up by Russell Mora as ref.

I will look into this more tomorrow. but I do not recall other controversies with him. But yea Sentral, you make a great point about Katsidis getting penalized by the same ref WITHOUT WARNING. Good call. If there is corruption, who is actually doing it and how are they doing it? Is it Delahoya, his company, the WBC, which has an overt favorable bias toward Mexican and Latin American fighters with their ratings and titles. If this is going on, they have to be doing it well enough to not get caught. What's the explanation, and who would be saying, "Oh, Russell, btw, we got a potential hot Mexican star here in Mares, whatever you do, DON'T penalize him and there might be something in it for you."

Or in the case of Mora, is it not corruption, but sheer incompetence and stupidity? It's different because incompetence and stupidity is not a criminal offense, and without proof of an on the take situation, they won't reverse the decision to a no-contest. All the IBF can do is order a rematch. Or in the case of Mora, could it be that Mora just felt compelled to protect Mares, because Agbeko is not the big money making fighter?

It should be noted that Mora DOES NOT have the experience of other big time Nevada refs. Let it be known however, that the shit he pulled tonight makes Joe Cortez and Jay Nady look like saints!!!! I mean, the couple of controversies that they had were NOTHING compared to this.

Therefore if there was corruption in the fight, who paid off Mora, and why?

Jack
Mean Mister Mustard
It's been well documented that in big fights, the promoters can be more than nice with referees and judges. So no surprise if Mora was actually influenced by the promoters.

The thing is though, if you're going to be biased and favor a fighter, why be so obvious about it? I would think that there are more subtle ways of being corrupt than calling 1 questionable knockdown, another obviously caused by an illegal blow, and a whole bunch of punches below the belt. Then again, I have a hard time believing it was sheer incompetence, because as Jack said, I don't remember when this guy had as bad a night as he did tonight. Especially when I watch that bullshit knockdown caused by the low blow. How could he miss that? When watching it live on TV, our viewpoint was behind Agbeko and even we could tell that the punch it had been low.
Hops
I think Arum's involved in this one.
HaydelHammer
lmao...watch the last low blow in the 11th ...how the refs comes in shaking his head waving off mares after the shot as if to say "ok man, i saw that one.... that was low" then he points mares to the neutral corner then almost does a 180 personality change and comes in counting 3, 4, 5.....LMAO....wow.
JONdaCON817
i would of had this fight even if it wasnt for the 2 BS KDs. and Agbeko wouldve prolly won by a few points if the LowBlows would have been penalized... when this fight started i was beginning to become a fan of Mares.. he was landing harder shots, he was active, applying pressure.. then the LBs started kiccing in. Agbeko didnt bitch till the end.. he won madd respect in my book.. deff deserves a rematch... that ref should be fired... he obviously wasnt tryin to protect the fighters, which is his jobs main purpose.
kidbazooka1
Horrible job by Mora.

The fight went pretty much like i expected very close give and take. Agbeko deserves a rematch.
wolterb
agbeko kept his cool, seemed like, throughout the whole fight. i cant imagine eating all those nut shots...defintely woulda lost my temper. hopefully they rematch it. without the patsy.
Jack 1000
I think Mora may have had several vendettas against Agbeko before the fight even began. He had a very negative "Fuck You" attitude toward Joseph in the fight. For whatever reason, Mora may have wanted Mares to win, whether there was bribery or not.

Jack
Jack 1000
That ref should be fired... he obviously wasn't trying to protect the fighters, which is his jobs main purpose.

Well, I think he was trying to protected Mares. However, the way he officiated, Abner could have brought a baseball bat into the ring and hit Joseph in the balls with it and Mora would keep saying, "Hey, stop hitting him with that bat, OK?" like 50 times, but never take the bat away from him or penalize Abner for using it. That's the biased type of impact that Mora's action had for me in this fight.

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 14 2011, 02:26 AM) *
Piece of shit Mora. If they were on the beltline why did that fuck warn Mares 8 times.

Mares is a piece of shit for what he said after the fight. The video was clear with Darchinyan. It was clear tonight. I want to see this motherfucker out fucking cold.

Agbeko was plain and simple, flat out robbed tonight. You would think after so many shit decisions boxing would clean up but no, it is just continuing in to the shitter.

Exactly! He kept telling this dummy to "keep 'em up", but he denied all low blows and warnings during his post-fight interview dntknw.gif
BigG
I dont remember thinking Mares being dirty in the Vic fight but this fight was a disgrace. Great fight but Agbeko was robbed of a draw or a win after 2nd viewing it was closer than I thought. Hard to watch fights on stream cuz you cant tell sometimes if punches land or not
BigG
Round 1: Mares 10-8
Round 2: Mares 10-9
Round 3: Mares 10-9
Round 4: Agbeko 10-9
Round 5: Mares 10-9
Round 6: Mares 10-9
Round 7: Mares 10-9 (Close)
Round 8: Mares 10-9
Round 9: Agebko 10-9
Round 10: Agebko 10-9
Round 11: Mares 10-9 (Total BS KD)
Round 12: Agbeko 10-9

Fitz i just finished watching it again on my computer and yeah youre right Mares won most rounds. But minus 10-8 rounds and dedcut some points and I dunno, it could possibly be a draw...Id need to compute this shit tho...lol...

But I would want to see a rematch anyway.
AussieLad
QUOTE (BigG @ Aug 15 2011, 04:31 AM) *
I dont remember thinking Mares being dirty in the Vic fight but this fight was a disgrace. Great fight but Agbeko was robbed of a draw or a win after 2nd viewing it was closer than I thought. Hard to watch fights on stream cuz you cant tell sometimes if punches land or not

Vics appeal for a rematch mentioned around 12 - 14 low blows. No doubt alot of those would have been borderline, but thrown in to sell the appeal. The reffing problem with the Vic fight was more about not letting Vic employ his usual style
AussieLad
He's a fucking nut crackin machine

In fact thats his new nickname for me. Abner "The nut cracker" Mares

Heres one of the family photo's

sduck
I recorded it and finally got to watch it. I was impressed by both fighters, especially Agbeko. It was a bit surprising to me since I wasn't very impressed by Vic Darchinyan and especially Yonnhy Perez... or at least when they fought each other. Couldn't really score it myself since people were distracting me when I was watching it... but the fight looked pretty even. You also have to consider the fact that Agbeko was very discouraged after getting repeatedly scolded and low-blowed. Was a pretty shitty ref.
Another thing, I don't think Mares is purposely a dirty fighter, I think he just doesn't aim his body shots very well.
happygocampy
The fight was really no shock at all, this type of thing has become common.

What impressed me though was Showtime commentators. Tarver is usually always on it, but Bernstien saw what was going on, and that guy is usually pretty damn oblivious to anything. Jim Grey also, i mean wow. I'm not sure i can believe that was really them, they must be body doubles.
Jack 1000
Post-Fight Report:

Nevada Executive Director Keth Kitzer says that "Mora will not be suspended, but will have to build himself up by working only undercard fights in the future." Story here:

http://blogs.bettor.com/Keith-Kizer-I-will...ing-news-a91087

Jack

gravytrain
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 15 2011, 05:31 PM) *
Post-Fight Report:

Nevada Executive Director Keth Kitzer says that "Mora will not be suspended, but will have to build himself up by working only undercard fights in the future." Story here:

http://blogs.bettor.com/Keith-Kizer-I-will...ing-news-a91087

Jack

with shit like this i can't blame people for turning away from boxing. i bet if Mares was getting hit like that and nothing happened Mora would be suspended right now. but that wouldn't have happened because Agbeko would have been DQed after the 15th low blow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.