Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stand up Jim Grey
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
bosco
Now I'm the first to admit that Jim Gray can be an asshole at times but the way he put the referee for the Mares vs Agbeko fight on the hot seat was priceless. In probably one of the worst officiating jobs I've ever seen the ref allowed Mares to get away with countless low blows and practically blamed Agbeko for getting hit low. To top it off Mares hit Agbeko with a punch that was well below the belt right in front of the ref and it was called a knockdown. Jim Gray interviewed the ref and pretty much called the refs excuse bullshit. Jim Gray told the ref to his face that he was wrong. That ref needs to be suspended for life because who's gonna trust him from now on. We all know why the ref was showing favor to Mares...Golden Boy!! Mares is their new star and they had to protect their investment. I'm just glad that Jim Gray had it in him to tell the ref that he was full of shit. Another black eye for boxing.
checkHook
If Agbeko hit a quarter of those nut shots on Mares, Mora would have disqualified him, pulled out his pistol, and shot him.
He would later answer the outrage that followed with "Why so serious? I am enforcing the rules."
bosco
What really upsets me is that I help train my son and other kids in boxing and I see all the hard work the fighters put in. I see the blood, sweat and tears in the gym. I see them pushing themselves and the hours of trying to learn their craft. All the punches they give and take in sparring. And to put in the type of work needed to prepare yourself for a fight just to end up in an unfair situation is crushing. How can I feel comfortable with my son pursuing a boxing career with the type of corruption that's involve. I feel for Agbeko because it's hard to concentrate when you know the ref is against you. That had to be taking his spirit away when a guy is fouling you and the ref warns you saying it's your fault. When a boxer is cheated it's easy to just say rematch but what we don't see is all the running, bag work, getting beat on in sparring and getting pushed to the limit by your trainers to try to get back a win you probably should have gotten in the first place. Something needs to be done.
and the NEW
Either this referee is blind, or he was paid off.

Either way, he should be stripped of his duties.
caneman
QUOTE (and the NEW @ Aug 14 2011, 01:04 AM) *
Either this referee is blind, or he was paid off.

Either way, he should be stripped of his duties.

Wow I can agree with and the New....amazing! lol
and the NEW
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

haha, good good!
SENTRAL
Grey did an excellent job right there and hopefully the powers that be will ensure Mora never officiates another fight.
Imperius3
Sentral, what kind of statement are you trying to make with that sig?

Anyway, Jim Grey usually annoys me with him always trying to find controversy, but this time it was warranted. Jim did a good job letting this ref know he fucked up, I just wish Jim would've also added, "I hope you get fired, you dipshit."
mgrover
am glad the ref was roasted, in football you can't even say shit about a ref without getting in all sorts of bullshit. christ just because they officiate doesn't make them gods.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 14 2011, 02:36 PM) *
am glad the ref was roasted, in football you can't even say shit about a ref without getting in all sorts of bullshit. christ just because they officiate doesn't make them gods.

Just to play devils advocate tho, there has to be a middle ground, referees should have to answer for their actions, but you have to be careful about publicly calling their integrity into question. Hindsight and instant replays are wonderful things.

The football referees in Scotland went on strike last year because of the public comments of a few individuals. We dont want to see that again, in football or boxing
Sunni6Killer
F*ck Jim Grey.
I guess this is the 2,565,452 black eye for Boxing.
bosco
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Aug 14 2011, 10:15 AM) *
Just to play devils advocate tho, there has to be a middle ground, referees should have to answer for their actions, but you have to be careful about publicly calling their integrity into question. Hindsight and instant replays are wonderful things.

The football referees in Scotland went on strike last year because of the public comments of a few individuals. We dont want to see that again, in football or boxing

Actually I think when it's something blatant like Mora did he deserves to be blasted right there on the spot in front of the whole world. He was sweating like a hog too...lol
mgrover
I never understood why replay technology can't be used. would make things so much simpler. if the ref missed it they just tell him through a radio or whatever to keep his eyes open since that was a low blow.
wolterb
QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 14 2011, 11:47 AM) *
I never understood why replay technology can't be used. would make things so much simpler.

definitely.
Method
I think Mora's job has him tied w Dirty Dick Steele as worst ref job I have ever seen. This was so fucking bad. Only Steele stopping the Meldrick Taylor fight gets me as incensed...to be honest, not even as much as what I witnessed last night.
PColeman28
maybe if they did that between rounds then yea, but most the time trainers and fighters will say those things to the ref anyways between rounds and stuff....officials should undergo seminars and reviews of matches they ref regularly i think
and the NEW
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Aug 14 2011, 02:15 PM) *
but you have to be careful about publicly calling their integrity into question. Hindsight and instant replays are wonderful things.

I can see your point, if there was 1 low blow. But there was so many and he wasn't calling any of them. It is amaizing Agbeko wasn't more sapped than he was from them and it is even more amaizing when he was called for the KD after already taking so many of them, that he didn't hit the ref. God damn you would have to be furious, the way he has conducted himself is incredible.

I hope this decision gets overturned to a no contest!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.