Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: does mares deserve a pass?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
daprofessor
but it was mares who was repeatedly throwing low blows. the one he landed that dropped agbeko was perfectly aimed and landed. u cannot tell me different. he pivoted and looked for the opening before he threw it. he also landed shots on the thigh and hip. those seemed to be part of his plan. the ref was definitely biased and incompetent, but i don't see how mares or his fans can celebrate such a horrible foul fest.
Roi
Nonito Donaire will kill him
Hops
Will GBP allow him?
TheFonz
I think that A LOT of the low blows where on the belt line and he wasn't doing it on purpose. He should have has point taken away from him in early in the fight fight but the punch the Aggy down in the eleventh glances off of Agbeko's glove and then hit his cup. It was not intentional.
HazConvictedFelonMane
Absolutely not! He deserves no pass. The other fighter complained about the same thing. Showtime Tourney Winner By Way Of Low Ballin'. I thought that Russell Mora was going to DQ Mares when the low blow dropped him late in the fight. 12 rounds of low blows have to take their toll on any man. I can understand how Agbeko feels. The ref stole the title to give it to Mares. There's no way in hell a fighter can throw that many low blows, and leave the fight without 1 point being deducted, or even being DQ'd. Anthony Peterson got DQ'd for low ballin' on Brandon Rios. I saw Mares throwing the same type of shots that Peterson threw in his fight with Rios. The announcers saw them as well.
AussieLad
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Aug 15 2011, 12:39 PM) *
I think that A LOT of the low blows where on the belt line and he wasn't doing it on purpose. He should have has point taken away from him in early in the fight fight but the punch the Aggy down in the eleventh glances off of Agbeko's glove and then hit his cup. It was not intentional.

But how many unintentional low blows, border line or otherwise can one guy get away with in 2 consecutive fights? The nut cracker has got some sloppy technique there, and it needs to be corrected

Allmenjoi8
It was a bad fight. The ref was on Agbeko the entire night for pulling Mares head down which was interesting. Plus that first round "knock down" was a joke. After the 8 round I realized that Mares was geared to win the fight... even the announcers could not believe that the ref had not taken a point from Mares. Oh well
daprofessor
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Aug 15 2011, 07:39 AM) *

there were shots that were landing on agbeko's thigh and hip that weren't deflected. the low blow that dropped agbeko was clearly aimed and landed square on the nuts. agbeko lowered his hands to prevent the low blow and mares intentionally went below his hands. there was no deflection.
daprofessor
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Aug 15 2011, 08:03 AM) *
Absolutely not! He deserves no pass. The other fighter complained about the same thing. Showtime Tourney Winner By Way Of Low Ballin'. I thought that Russell Mora was going to DQ Mares when the low blow dropped him late in the fight. 12 rounds of low blows have to take their toll on any man. I can understand how Agbeko feels. The ref stole the title to give it to Mares. There's no way in hell a fighter can throw that many low blows, and leave the fight without 1 point being deducted, or even being DQ'd. Anthony Peterson got DQ'd for low ballin' on Brandon Rios. I saw Mares throwing the same type of shots that Peterson threw in his fight with Rios. The announcers saw them as well.

all those low blows had to take the steam out of agbeko...but the amazing thing, he wasn't complaining..he just kept fighting. it seemed as the fight went on, they became more and more blatant. i was shocked it took his corner so long to start complaining.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Aug 15 2011, 09:23 AM) *
It was a bad fight. The ref was on Agbeko the entire night for pulling Mares head down which was interesting. Plus that first round "knock down" was a joke. After the 8 round I realized that Mares was geared to win the fight... even the announcers could not believe that the ref had not taken a point from Mares. Oh well

agbeko was pulling the head down to prevent head clashes. mares was leading with his head and received zero warnings for it. at one point mares pulls agbekos head down and the ref warns agbeko to keep his head up. i've seen some biased refs over the years...but this guy takes the cake!
EAlbian
As much as it is dirty the ref was allowing it, it's not illegal if the ref doesn't call it. I'm sure i'll catch some flack for this but if somethings working for you and you are not getting called why stop? I coach a wrestling team and i don't teach my kids to be dirty but if the ref isn't calling cautions or stalling i wouldn't tell them to stop. The ref is the one that is suppose to regulate the fight action, he failed. Mares is there to fight, he was fighting. I'm not pro Mares or Agbeko. Team Agbeko should have raised their concerns before the fight and made it clear that this was a problem and it needed to be watched and addressed, i heard no talks of this until the fight had started and 3 low blows had been thrown
Seek
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 15 2011, 12:05 AM) *
but it was mares who was repeatedly throwing low blows. the one he landed that dropped agbeko was perfectly aimed and landed. u cannot tell me different. he pivoted and looked for the opening before he threw it. he also landed shots on the thigh and hip. those seemed to be part of his plan. the ref was definitely biased and incompetent, but i don't see how mares or his fans can celebrate such a horrible foul fest.

Mares was definitely landing too many low blows and should have been deducted a point but I also recall Agbeko pulling Mares head down and hitting on the back of the head when they were in a clinch. To me it became a situation where they were both using dirty tactics and the referee didn't want to start deducting from both fighters. The referee failed to take control of the situation and made things 10x worse in the 11th round.

Funny thing is when the referee does his job i.e Mayweather vs Hatton, people complain that he's not letting them fight. Hatton is a mauler, he holds you and hits you, those are dirty tactics. Same as when Floyd sticks his elbow in your face when you try to come in. Cortez did a beautiful job of telling both fighters, stop holding, watch that elbow, halting the fight to tell them to fight clean. Mora failed to do this and in result, the fighters continue to do what they want.
happygocampy
I'll go with no, he doesn't deserve a pass. He seems to think his punches are borderline and acceptable and that he's done nothing wrong. He needs to be reasonable with himself and correct his obvious Galota-esq flaw. Yes officiating needs to help him with this, by enforcing it as no longer acceptable. His training camp also, as a benefiit to his future, needs to work with him on correcting this problem. There's 3 levels of fail here, and if not corrected the one that will really suffer in the end, is Mares.
checkHook
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 15 2011, 10:19 AM) *
all those low blows had to take the steam out of agbeko...but the amazing thing, he wasn't complaining..he just kept fighting. it seemed as the fight went on, they became more and more blatant. i was shocked it took his corner so long to start complaining.

Exactly. I was expecting an Emanuel Steward type chastising of the ref as soon as the bell rung, but they waited until the 11th to do so...after the fake knockdown. Maybe they didn't want to look like complainers, but if there was ever a time to complain...
JONdaCON817
They said Agbekos corner spoke to the ref before the fight about the lowblows. Agbeko is a real ass niqka for takin that shyt, I woulda threw an elbow by the 3rd one.

reminds me of when Judah got lowblowed (im thinkin vs Cotto) and he was rolling around on the floor screaming "he punched me in my dicc!! Ref you suppose to help me!" Lmao.
Imperius3
Check this out! It’s Abner Mares on FSN Sports Science “Cheap Shots” Episode 4. You guys have to take a look at this. Abner was a guest on the show a few years back when he was 14-0. During the segment, the host tells Abner to punch the test dummy in the groin.

After Abner does it, the host goes on to explain why blows to the area are so debilitating. They explain how the low blows effect the abdomen and lungs because of how the brain waves are sent out. It’s very interesting to say the least.

AussieLad
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ Aug 15 2011, 09:06 PM) *
Check this out! It’s Abner Mares on FSN Sports Science “Cheap Shots” Episode 4. You guys have to take a look at this. Abner was a guest on the show a few years back when he was 14-0. During the segment, the host tells Abner to punch the test dummy in the groin.

After Abner does it, the host goes on to explain why blows to the area are so debilitating. They explain how the low blows effect the abdomen and lungs because of how the brain waves are sent out. It’s very interesting to say the least.

funny funny shit... lol
daprofessor
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Aug 15 2011, 11:35 AM) *
As much as it is dirty the ref was allowing it, it's not illegal if the ref doesn't call it. I'm sure i'll catch some flack for this but if somethings working for you and you are not getting called why stop? I coach a wrestling team and i don't teach my kids to be dirty but if the ref isn't calling cautions or stalling i wouldn't tell them to stop. The ref is the one that is suppose to regulate the fight action, he failed. Mares is there to fight, he was fighting. I'm not pro Mares or Agbeko. Team Agbeko should have raised their concerns before the fight and made it clear that this was a problem and it needed to be watched and addressed, i heard no talks of this until the fight had started and 3 low blows had been thrown

don king protested the ref in the week leading up to the fight.

boxing and wrestling are not the same. it's illegal to hit someone in the nuts in wrestling too. ur wrestlers aren't going to continually hit someone in the nuts repeatedly even if the ref will say nothing.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Seek @ Aug 15 2011, 11:37 AM) *
Mares was definitely landing too many low blows and should have been deducted a point but I also recall Agbeko pulling Mares head down and hitting on the back of the head when they were in a clinch. To me it became a situation where they were both using dirty tactics and the referee didn't want to start deducting from both fighters. The referee failed to take control of the situation and made things 10x worse in the 11th round.

Funny thing is when the referee does his job i.e Mayweather vs Hatton, people complain that he's not letting them fight. Hatton is a mauler, he holds you and hits you, those are dirty tactics. Same as when Floyd sticks his elbow in your face when you try to come in. Cortez did a beautiful job of telling both fighters, stop holding, watch that elbow, halting the fight to tell them to fight clean. Mora failed to do this and in result, the fighters continue to do what they want.

mares would lead with his head...and in defense, agbeko would put his glove on top of mares head to prevent a clash. mares was never warned for leading with his head. agbeko hit him once behind the head when he threw a wide hook. didn't seem intentional. he got warned immediately. also, mares pulled agbeko's head down once and the ref immediately warned agbeko..."keep ur head up!" pure bullshit. mares' low blows were blatant. not sure why everyone is afraid to admit that. sure...some were coincidental because he went to the body often...but some were straight to hip or thigh...and in the case of the last one...he aimed for the nuts and landed squarely.
daprofessor
QUOTE (happygocampy @ Aug 15 2011, 01:44 PM) *
I'll go with no, he doesn't deserve a pass. He seems to think his punches are borderline and acceptable and that he's done nothing wrong. He needs to be reasonable with himself and correct his obvious Galota-esq flaw. Yes officiating needs to help him with this, by enforcing it as no longer acceptable. His training camp also, as a benefiit to his future, needs to work with him on correcting this problem. There's 3 levels of fail here, and if not corrected the one that will really suffer in the end, is Mares.

good post.
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkHook @ Aug 15 2011, 01:52 PM) *
Exactly. I was expecting an Emanuel Steward type chastising of the ref as soon as the bell rung, but they waited until the 11th to do so...after the fake knockdown. Maybe they didn't want to look like complainers, but if there was ever a time to complain...

fake knockdown? u ever been hit in the nuts that clean?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ Aug 15 2011, 04:06 PM) *

'we couldn't find anyone willing to take these shots...'

i guess they didn't know agbeko back then. lmao!

389lbs of force!? ouch!!!
wolterb
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 15 2011, 05:11 PM) *
'we couldn't find anyone willing to take these shots...'

i guess they didn't know agbeko back then. lmao!

389lbs of force!? ouch!!!

ha!!
Imperius3
They trained Mares well.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Aug 15 2011, 10:35 AM) *

I agree. I don't like the tactic but if the ref doesn't call it why stop? To me this is ALL on Mora. Mora calls it, it either stops or he DQ's Mares. Either way a stronger ref means this bullshit ends within a couple of rounds.
EAlbian
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 15 2011, 05:53 PM) *
don king protested the ref in the week leading up to the fight.

boxing and wrestling are not the same. it's illegal to hit someone in the nuts in wrestling too. ur wrestlers aren't going to continually hit someone in the nuts repeatedly even if the ref will say nothing.

His words fell on deaf ears then, usually a fighters team make their concerns heard(i.e Cunningham in the Bradley fight). Its illegal to hit in the nuts(there is no hitting in wrestling) and i wouldn't condone it but throwing an elbow when you sit out and over extending on a high-crotch takedown(you will get hit in the nuts) is a judgement call on the refs part. Low blows in boxing are a judgment call and Mora clearly lacked that judgment. I teach my wrestlers to hit moves with conviction, sometimes its intentional and sometimes its just over committing. Again its on the Ref, after the match i would have a talk with my wrestler stating that control needs to be taken and that this could cause them a match in the future. These are contact sports though and there is a reason an attentive eye needs to be carefully placed on the combatants. Mares was hitting low and his corner told him he was hitting low, but he hadn't gotten penalized and was winning the fight. He chose to gamble and won, in the future he'll be watched that much closer. In wrestling there are plenty of tactic to use(stalling, illegal starts, nut shots, pressure points, chokes) that toe the line of being illegal and some kids choose to toe that line just like fighters( holding and hitting, low blows, elbows, pushing off) those athletes sooner or later end up on someones radar and it costs them. The referees are there to instill fair play, its their job not the job of the fighters or athletes. If Mora would have taken control of the fight i don't think we would have seen a DQ and the low blows would have stopped, if Mares would have won is a different argument. I'm sure there are Hopkins opponents that claim his dirty tactics threw them off and cost them the fights. He hasn't been penalized in years(if my recollection is accurate) so what he's doing in the eyes of the officials isn't illegal or they missed it. Boxing is subjective and in Mora's opinion(the only opinion that matters during the fight) Mares was legal
EAlbian
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 16 2011, 06:56 AM) *
I agree. I don't like the tactic but if the ref doesn't call it why stop? To me this is ALL on Mora. Mora calls it, it either stops or he DQ's Mares. Either way a stronger ref means this bullshit ends within a couple of rounds.

Cosign
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.