Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Bob Arum told me to kick Saul Alvarez's ass" *VIDEO*
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BlueMercury
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I quite like Alfonso Gomez he seems like one of the more honest characters in the support, that being said he is going to take a Cotto-style whupping at the hands of Alvarez. Alvarez can punch but he doesn't have one punch KO power which means he tends to take guys out with brutal accumulation.I hope Gomez gets a good payday and enjoys the taste of hospital food because I think it will be a sustained beating.
Cshel86
Cant wait to see this one. Alvarez is gonna put it on Gomez, but we must not forget that Gomez is a game fighter and he always comes to fight. Besides, Gomez looks to be more dangerous in this fight, because he has nothing to lose coming into this bout. I dont see how many other big fights Gomez has available after this one...he's fighting on an undercard of the biggest PPV card this year, so he cant blow this one.

For some reason, I see an Ortiz/Alvarez fight coming out of this PPV situation. If Ortiz blows it, he still has other big fights to take afterwards (Khan, Bradley, Maidana, etc). If Gomez blows this, then he is out of the picture for good...and I have reason to believe that no one (promoters/boxing staff/etc.) wants to see him fight again on the big stage anyway.

daprofessor
canelo looked like shit against hatton. i think gomez is a much better fighter than hatton. he looked really good against soto-karas. i don't know that he'll win...but i'll be rooting for him. he'll definitely make a fight of it. he's not the same fighter he was when he fought cotto.
caneman
QUOTE (BlueMercury @ Aug 16 2011, 01:37 AM) *

I heard you been playing internet gangsta calling out Gabriel Montoya like you were gonna beat him with your keyboard or some shit! laugh.gif You da new facebook gangsta huh?
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 16 2011, 01:33 PM) *
canelo looked like shit against hatton. i think gomez is a much better fighter than hatton. he looked really good against soto-karas. i don't know that he'll win...but i'll be rooting for him. he'll definitely make a fight of it. he's not the same fighter he was when he fought cotto.

You are right about that. I didn't see that "one-punch power" from Canelo, and he hit Hatton with almost everything but the kitchen sink in that fight. Maybe that "Cotto beatdown" that Gomez took will wake his brain up and get him back into the fight if he happens to get in trouble. Gomez isn't quite the same fighter he was when he faced Cotto, I agree. People may look at him as a shot fighter, but as I stated earlier, Gomez just may be that much more dangerous because he has nothing to lose and Im sure he knows in his mind that this is his last shot at a notable bout. Im sure Gomez loves his country, but at the same time, he may not be too excited about getting stuck fighting in Mexico for the rest of his career if he screws up this opportunity. Well hell, between Friday Night Fights and Mexico...I'd go with "Medico" (Mexico) any day.
EAlbian
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 16 2011, 10:39 AM) *
Cant wait to see this one. Alvarez is gonna put it on Gomez, but we must not forget that Gomez is a game fighter and he always comes to fight. Besides, Gomez looks to be more dangerous in this fight, because he has nothing to lose coming into this bout. I dont see how many other big fights Gomez has available after this one...he's fighting on an undercard of the biggest PPV card this year, so he cant blow this one.

For some reason, I see an Ortiz/Alvarez fight coming out of this PPV situation. If Ortiz blows it, he still has other big fights to take afterwards (Khan, Bradley, Maidana, etc). If Gomez blows this, then he is out of the picture for good...and I have reason to believe that no one (promoters/boxing staff/etc.) wants to see him fight again on the big stage anyway.

I would love Ortiz vs Alvarez, stylistically i think thats a great fight
Cshel86
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Aug 16 2011, 02:04 PM) *
I would love Ortiz vs Alvarez, stylistically i think thats a great fight

Yeah it would definitely be a great scrap. Hopefully Ortiz will get a few more Mexican stripes after the attention he gets from 24/7 and the Mayweather bout (win or lose), then he could probably fight for his right to be a true Mexican against Canelo, lol. Neither of the two strike me as true Mexicans to be honest, and I love to watch Mexicans fight...its always a tooth-to-nail slugfest. The Ortiz/Alvarez bout should be deemed, "Showdown for Mexican Supremacy" to see who takes the majority/all of the Mexican fan base to the next level in PPVs. It should be held at the Cowboys Stadium...talkin' about 100k seats being sold tha freak out in as heartbeat.
EAlbian
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 16 2011, 02:37 PM) *
Yeah it would definitely be a great scrap. Hopefully Ortiz will get a few more Mexican stripes after the attention he gets from 24/7 and the Mayweather bout (win or lose), then he could probably fight for his right to be a true Mexican against Canelo, lol. Neither of the two strike me as true Mexicans to be honest, and I love to watch Mexicans fight...its always a tooth-to-nail slugfest. The Ortiz/Alvarez bout should be deemed, "Showdown for Mexican Supremacy" to see who takes the majority/all of the Mexican fan base to the next level in PPVs. It should be held at the Cowboys Stadium...talkin' about 100k seats being sold tha freak out in as heartbeat.

Ortiz is American, born here raised here by Americans. Alvarez is a Mexican, maybe Angulo vs Alvarez would be a good fight for that title lol. Mexicans also love JCC so i guess you could throw him in their as well, i think he's garbage tho.

Ortiz should get good exposure(24/7) win or lose and i think he makes for good fights in the future, he'll never be a Mayweather or Pac but i think he could be a more technical version of Vargas. I'd love to see him in there w/ Khan, Angulo, Alvarez, and at some point Kirkland. They are all GBP and i think they all make for good fights, there are 5 or 6 fights that could be recycled between those fighters. 147 and 154 are going through a rejuvenation period and there are a lot of interesting fights to be made there, HBO needs to look at making a tourney
Cshel86
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Aug 16 2011, 03:02 PM) *
Ortiz is American, born here raised here by Americans. Alvarez is a Mexican, maybe Angulo vs Alvarez would be a good fight for that title lol. Mexicans also love JCC so i guess you could throw him in their as well, i think he's garbage tho.

Ortiz should get good exposure(24/7) win or lose and i think he makes for good fights in the future, he'll never be a Mayweather or Pac but i think he could be a more technical version of Vargas. I'd love to see him in there w/ Khan, Angulo, Alvarez, and at some point Kirkland. They are all GBP and i think they all make for good fights, there are 5 or 6 fights that could be recycled between those fighters. 147 and 154 are going through a rejuvenation period and there are a lot of interesting fights to be made there, HBO needs to look at making a tourney

We can all be sure that Mexicans will cheer him on for his fight next month, lol. Let's be real, the Mexicans who reach super stardom and break PPV numbers are the ones who really dont look Mexican. For example Oscar De La Hoya, used to get criticized by other fighters (Vargas) for not being a real Mexican. Maybe I think Ortiz/Alvarez would be a great fight to see who the next Oscar De La Hoya will be, since they have both nearly been proclaimed by the public. One of them has had a lackluster list of credible opponents and the other experienced a bump in the road against Maidana.
EAlbian
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 16 2011, 03:49 PM) *
We can all be sure that Mexicans will cheer him on for his fight next month, lol. Let's be real, the Mexicans who reach super stardom and break PPV numbers are the ones who really dont look Mexican. For example Oscar De La Hoya, used to get criticized by other fighters (Vargas) for not being a real Mexican. Maybe I think Ortiz/Alvarez would be a great fight to see who the next Oscar De La Hoya will be, since they have both nearly been proclaimed by the public. One of them has had a lackluster list of credible opponents and the other experienced a bump in the road against Maidana.

yea but De La Hoya was never seen as a "real" Mexican because he was a pretty boy boxer, Ortiz and Canelo def have more Mexican in them than Vargas. I'm sure there are plenty of Mexicans that have come across the boarder that support/would support Ortiz but true Mexicans would always favor Canelo in that match up. Vargas was a Mexican American as well so it was like choosing the lesser of two evils when he fought DLH, plus his style was much closer to that of the Mexican style. I have no doubts that when they both fought Yori boy Campos they were cheering for Campos
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.