Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 213 pounds of James Toney
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
checkHook
http://www.mmamania.com/2011/8/16/2365730/...-mixed#comments

I had my doubts, but I'm glad JT is on the right path.

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Jesus fucken Christ get me the number of that nutrionist!

It's like seeing one of those final episodes of the Biggest Loser where the contestants reveal their final weight.

And somewhere out there Lil LightsOut has broken down in tears of relief and Antonio Tarver is shitten himself that James may actually be able to make 200.
thehype
LOL
EAlbian
I would love to see Toney vs Tarver with the winner fighting Hopkins. Good for JT, always been a huge Toney fan. Now he needs to get in that ring
caneman
JT looks good...one thing for sure, skills have never been his problem! Good for him!
JONdaCON817
Jt lookin good! Let's get this man a fight!! Somebodys gotta beat a Klit!
gravytrain
i think Toney will be looking a lot better since he dropped the weight. if he can get Tarver in the ring i'll be happy.
EAlbian
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 16 2011, 04:27 PM) *
i think Toney will be looking a lot better since he dropped the weight. if he can get Tarver in the ring i'll be happy.

I really think his best option is doing an ESPN or B.A.D card to make his name relevant again, he hasn't done shit in 4 years. If he can look good on ShoBox or something that fight might be worth something right now his name has no steam behind it
D-MARV
Toney is shot. Put him in there with Kimbo!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Aug 16 2011, 09:57 PM) *
Toney is shot. Put him in there with Kimbo!

Kimbo would last less time then his own opponent did last week.
mrchitown
Toney is looking good, I'd definitely love to see him fight Tarver & perhaps Hopkins after that. Those would be some good fights
King Eugene
Haha Toney would eat Kimbo ass up.

To be honest I'd like to see Toney vs. Haye. It could be a make or break fight for both of them. We all know Toney wont get a piece of Arreola because he is potentially fighting Michael Grant next for a shot at one of the Klits. I wouldn't mind seeing Toney vs. Haye. It would be very interesting.
Mean Mister Mustard
James Toney has slimmed down? Good for him, but how do we know his reflexes have improved? Because last few times he's been in the ring, he looked shot.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 17 2011, 12:17 AM) *
James Toney has slimmed down? Good for him, but how do we know his reflexes have improved? Because last few times he's been in the ring, he looked shot.

And that's the question. Did James loook bad with all that fat on him or is he really gone? FAlbian made a good suggestion that maybe he should go back to a FNF's type card. That would be a good idea, fight a Damon Reed type character that he struggled to put away last time and see if there is any improvement.

Going back to a FNF type card doesn't have to mean a big step backwards, cretainly Judah has done it a couple of times and it didn't hurt his career. If Toney looks good then move him up to a top ten type guy (although in the current climate that wouldn't mean such a big step up, haha.)
thehype
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 17 2011, 12:17 AM) *

So did Morales...until they put him in with the EVER SO DANGEROUS Marcos Maidana.

laugh.gif
Col Reb
Toney always talks about wanting to fight a Klit, so why doesn't he take a fight to become one of their mandatories. They don't like giving up their belts, so that is probably the only way he ever gets the fight. Go the mandatory/eliminator route.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 17 2011, 12:56 AM) *
So did Morales...until they put him in with the EVER SO DANGEROUS Marcos Maidana.

laugh.gif

That's a good point Hype. However, Morales wasn't in his 40's when he fought Maidana, nor did he look as Bad as Toney did fighting stiffs. Then again,this is the heavyweight division, and a shot fighter with some intelligence is still better than nothing.
thehype
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Aug 17 2011, 02:29 AM) *
Toney always talks about wanting to fight a Klit, so why doesn't he take a fight to become one of their mandatories. They don't like giving up their belts, so that is probably the only way he ever gets the fight. Go the mandatory/eliminator route.

The mandatory/eliminator route?

laugh.gif

What, you mean like Antonio Tarver did when he fought Nagy Aguilera and Danny Green?

laugh.gif

A better idea would be Tarver and Toney fighting...then the winner fights Bernard Hopkins...all of those fights taking place at cruiserweight. That sounds much more interesting to me....not to mention long overdue.
thehype
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 17 2011, 08:51 AM) *
That's a good point Hype. However, Morales wasn't in his 40's when he fought Maidana, nor did he look as Bad as Toney did fighting stiffs. Then again,this is the heavyweight division, and a shot fighter with some intelligence is still better than nothing.

You're right....a much better example would be Antonio Tarver.

laugh.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 17 2011, 10:28 AM) *

laugh.gif

Oh yeah, I forgot Tarver said on Saturday that a move up to heavyweight is in the works. I'd like to see him take on Toney. The trash talking alone would be worth it.
KookedKrack
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 16 2011, 04:07 AM) *
He is looking great. It's just a shame he waited until this long to do it, but looking good.

AussieLad
213 pounds of Toney? When i first read the thread title i thought it meant that McDonalds had released a new burger in James honor. 213 pounds of patties on a sesame seed bun

Fitz
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 18 2011, 12:28 AM) *

laugh.gif

Or Chris Byrd when he moved down to cruiser laugh.gif
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Aug 16 2011, 11:42 AM) *
I would love to see Toney vs Tarver with the winner fighting Hopkins. Good for JT, always been a huge Toney fan. Now he needs to get in that ring

Me too!!!
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 16 2011, 10:03 PM) *
Kimbo would last less time then his own opponent did last week.

One I wouldnt mind seeing though.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 18 2011, 03:53 AM) *
One I wouldnt mind seeing though.

I would like to see him throw the overhand right followed by the left hook. Oh hold, on Kimbo would've been on the ground the second the right hand landed.
thehype
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 17 2011, 06:42 PM) *
Or Chris Byrd when he moved down to cruiser laugh.gif

Nah. Terrible example...Chris Byrd looked like he was on crack. At least Toney still looks like big and solid. I don't know what the fuck happened to Byrd to make him look so frail.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 18 2011, 11:44 AM) *
Nah. Terrible example...Chris Byrd looked like he was on crack. At least Toney still looks like big and solid. I don't know what the fuck happened to Byrd to make him look so frail.

I think the clever thing Toney has done is taken the weight off over time. Apparently from the Percy interviews he's been on his new regime from just after the Damon Reeed fight which was God knows how many months ago. Losing the weight slowly and steadily is the way to go. From memory Byrd took it all off pretty quickly. Might be the difference.
gravytrain
Byrd and Toney probably just had completely different approaches to losing the weight. if your nutrition is solid you can get away without losing much muscle when you lose weight.
lloyd mayflower
Is there a spelling mistake in the title of this thread? Looking at the photos, shouldnt the title be, "213 lbs OFF James Toney?"
and the NEW
Isn't the first thing a fight with Ken Shamrock under some new MMA rules where you are only allowed on the ground for 30 seconds....should be interesting. But Toney looks like a guy without any balance anyways, he never was the type of athletic fighter who could sprawl as quick as he could move his upper body (his legs just aren't fast).
AussieLad
QUOTE (and the NEW @ Aug 19 2011, 08:35 AM) *
Isn't the first thing a fight with Ken Shamrock under some new MMA rules where you are only allowed on the ground for 30 seconds....should be interesting. But Toney looks like a guy without any balance anyways, he never was the type of athletic fighter who could sprawl as quick as he could move his upper body (his legs just aren't fast).

The thirty second rule for the Shamrock fight was just the enticement James needed to get in the octagon for another beating. As old and shot as Shamrock is, this is his sport, not Toney's. I do expect Shamrock to trade a little more with James, throwing leg kicks, which will at least give James the opportunity to throw a couple of punches while still on his feet... but he is still taking a whoopin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.