Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who is true boxer of decade (2001-2010)
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
riddick
Mayweather or Pacquiao?What you think about it.Remember BWAA named Pacquiao before his fights versus Margarito and Mosley.
riddick
My choice - Mayweather.Ideal boxer.Undefeated.
Hops
I go with Calzaghe even though he wasn't able to complete up to 2010. Undefeated. Beat a real living legend.
mgrover
bernard hopkins. his losses to jermain taylor and calzaghe dont look good. but he beat calzaghe, that was just plain bullshit
Allmenjoi8
Mayweather. Look at his fights from 2001 on up. Just because you have punching power and your fights are more "exciting" to watch (casual fan) does not make you the boxer of the decade. Look at the type of competition that each fighter fought in their career. Just because you are media friendly and a feel good story does not make a person fighter of the year. Its like Dennis Roddman being elected in the basketball hall of fame, look at his states and the level of basketball that he played and not the popularity contest and the off the court chaos. Fighter of the Decade rewards a fighter who has displayed mastery inside the ring, not a hype job created by the media.
bosco
Mayweather because he's went undefeated and Pacquiao has a loss and 2 draws since 2000
gravytrain
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Aug 16 2011, 12:22 PM) *
Mayweather. Look at his fights from 2001 on up. Just because you have punching power and your fights are more "exciting" to watch (casual fan) does not make you the boxer of the decade. Look at the type of competition that each fighter fought in their career. Just because you are media friendly and a feel good story does not make a person fighter of the year. Its like Dennis Roddman being elected in the basketball hall of fame, look at his states and the level of basketball that he played and not the popularity contest and the off the court chaos. Fighter of the Decade rewards a fighter who has displayed mastery inside the ring, not a hype job created by the media.

why are you picking Mayweather then?

i would have to go with Hopkins.
EAlbian
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 16 2011, 04:24 PM) *

Hopkins wins from 2000-2010

Jones Jr
Ornelas
Pavlik
Wright
Tarver
DLH
Allen
Joppy
Hakkar
Trinidad
Holmes
Echols
Vanderpool

Mayweather wins 2000-2010

Mosley
Marquez
Hatton
DLH
Baldomir
Judah
Mitchell
Gatti
Bruseles
Corley
N'dou
Sosa
Castillo
Castillo
Hernandez
Corrales
Augustus
Vargas

When put like this, i have to say Mayweather's wins are as impressive as Hopkins. Hopkins best wins are Trinidad, DLH, Tarver, Pavlik, and Wright. Mayweather's are Corrales, Castillo 2x, Judah, DLH, Hatton, JMM, and Mosley. I think the better resume goes to Mayweather, even Mayweather's secondary opponents outweigh Hopkins'. Before i put this together i favored Hopkins but now i lean towards PBF, Hopkins gets no credit for his losses
Eighty88Eight
I don't know. It's obviously a contest between Pacquiao, Mayweather, and Hopkins. Obviously, a Pac-Mayweather fight will go a long way to helping posterity decide who's name was writ most boldly in this era. Hopkins has marks against him because he wasn't as popular, but he's certainly been just as extraordinary, and perhaps even more extraordinary considering his age and his lack of latent physical talent. This "best of the decade" stuff is just journalist bullshit. doesn't mean a thing.
sduck
I'm not sure if this is an actual reward, but shouldn't the decade be 2000-2009? Since in previous decades it should be something like 1980-89, 1990-99... anyway, from 2000-2009 hands-down goes to Mayweather.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (sduck @ Aug 16 2011, 05:11 PM) *
I'm not sure if this is an actual reward, but shouldn't the decade be 2000-2009? Since in previous decades it should be something like 1980-89, 1990-99... anyway, from 2000-2009 hands-down goes to Mayweather.

I agree with the 2000-2009 part.

Hard to seperate 3 fighters. Floyd and Manny both have stellar wins in the lighter divisions, I give it to Manny though coz he fought the 3 Mexican legends a mind boggling 7 times and only had 1 defeat from it. Since moving north of 140 they have both definately cherry picked.

I guess the most impressive win would be Floyd scraping past Oscar at 154. To counter balance that I have Manny demolishing Cotto but at a CW. Floyd handed Hatton his first loss but at a weight that I don't think Hatton did very well at, Manny beat him quicker at his preferred weight of 140 but Floyd had of course gotten to him first. So that's about a draw.

In summing up I think I'll give it to Hopkins! He has consistently sought out the guys at the very top of their respective divisions and I think the only guy he really cherry picked was Roy Jones (although that came in 2010-the start of a new decade?). That and he has also handed out some career ending fights. Even the losses to Taylor, Taylor definately came out the loser from their encounters.
caneman
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 16 2011, 07:51 PM) *
I agree with the 2000-2009 part.

Hard to seperate 3 fighters. Floyd and Manny both have stellar wins in the lighter divisions, I give it to Manny though coz he fought the 3 Mexican legends a mind boggling 7 times and only had 1 defeat from it. Since moving north of 140 they have both definately cherry picked.

I guess the most impressive win would be Floyd scraping past Oscar at 154. To counter balance that I have Manny demolishing Cotto but at a CW. Floyd handed Hatton his first loss but at a weight that I don't think Hatton did very well at, Manny beat him quicker at his preferred weight of 140 but Floyd had of course gotten to him first. So that's about a draw.

In summing up I think I'll give it to Hopkins! He has consistently sought out the guys at the very top of their respective divisions and I think the only guy he really cherry picked was Roy Jones (although that came in 2010-the start of a new decade?). That and he has also handed out some career ending fights. Even the losses to Taylor, Taylor definately came out the loser from their encounters.

I agree with this all the way. I can't knock those 3 guys and surprisingly, it shows Roy Jones did hurt his legacy somewhat cause there was a time he would have gotten some votes!
E.C.LEGEND
QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 16 2011, 08:05 PM) *
I agree with this all the way. I can't knock those 3 guys and surprisingly, it shows Roy Jones did hurt his legacy somewhat cause there was a time he would have gotten some votes!

Didn't Roy get that award for the 90's? Has anyone gotten fighter of the decade twice? It would be weird if someone got the award twice.
caneman
QUOTE (E.C.LEGEND @ Aug 16 2011, 08:48 PM) *
Didn't Roy get that award for the 90's? Has anyone gotten fighter of the decade twice? It would be weird if someone got the award twice.

Honestly that makes sense, no one hardly touched him in the 90's! Good call EC! drinks.gif
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 16 2011, 03:24 PM) *

41-0 without the hype job and "good guy, I love the people, I am Mr. Humble" image. Raw talent with great work ethic. Opponents that were a challenge and not carefully hand picked or coming off of loses or horrible performances. That's why I pick May. I am judging off his skill in the ring and performances not the bs that the media will have you believe. Oh and he holds PPV records... Hopkins or Pacaquio can't say that. Hopkins is a great choice but he has some L's and bad perfomances too. Hopkins has my respect, he has a 20 year old's body and his dedication to the sport gets high praise.

I respect Pacaquio and the excitement that he brings to the sport and I think Hopkins is unreal (46 and still dominating) is amazing. I am a May fan but I am a boxing fan and just because I am a May fan does not mean I do not recognize other great fighters (Pacaquio, Donaire, Hopkins, and some other notable fighters) however I think that MJ dominated the fight game for a very long time and the fighter of the decade would hands down go to him.
mrchitown
In my mind, it is btw Mayweather & Hopkins. Pacquio isn't & shouldn't even be in the conversation. When studying his wins in the decade...it becomes too arguementative. @ the beginning of the decade he was a 1 handed fighter, not a special talent @ all until Roach got a hold of him. Mayweather & B-Hop have better careers, a better resume of opponents. Given that I would have to favor Floyd. If it weren't for the loss to Calzaghe(which is bs) I would've favored Bernard but Floyd's undefeated mark wins out in this one
E.C.LEGEND
QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 16 2011, 08:50 PM) *
Honestly that makes sense, no one hardly touched him in the 90's! Good call EC! drinks.gif

Do you know if you can win the award more than once? It's seriously bugging the hell out of me.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 16 2011, 09:47 PM) *
In my mind, it is btw Mayweather & Hopkins. Pacquio isn't & shouldn't even be in the conversation. When studying his wins in the decade...it becomes too arguementative. @ the beginning of the decade he was a 1 handed fighter, not a special talent @ all until Roach got a hold of him. Mayweather & B-Hop have better careers, a better resume of opponents. Given that I would have to favor Floyd. If it weren't for the loss to Calzaghe(which is bs) I would've favored Bernard but Floyd's undefeated mark wins out in this one

I voted for Hopkins so it bothers me not but are you seriously trying to tell me that Morales, Barerra and Marquez aren't as good as Floyd's list of opponents? Seriously are you shitten me? Floyd has beaten De la Hoya. The rest would struggle to make the HoF.

Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Aug 16 2011, 10:31 PM) *
41-0 without the hype job and "good guy, I love the people, I am Mr. Humble" image. Raw talent with great work ethic. Opponents that were a challenge and not carefully hand picked or coming off of loses or horrible performances. That's why I pick May. I am judging off his skill in the ring and performances not the bs that the media will have you believe. Oh and he holds PPV records... Hopkins or Pacaquio can't say that. Hopkins is a great choice but he has some L's and bad perfomances too. Hopkins has my respect, he has a 20 year old's body and his dedication to the sport gets high praise.

I respect Pacaquio and the excitement that he brings to the sport and I think Hopkins is unreal (46 and still dominating) is amazing. I am a May fan but I am a boxing fan and just because I am a May fan does not mean I do not recognize other great fighters (Pacaquio, Donaire, Hopkins, and some other notable fighters) however I think that MJ dominated the fight game for a very long time and the fighter of the decade would hands down go to him.

That's been the main criticism on him. No cherry picked opponents? JMM, Sharmba Mitchell, Judah coming off a loss, and Henry Bruselles etc.

The man had some good wins between 2000-2010, but after 2004, his resume dwindled. He's still in the top 3 as far as the decade goes, but the number 1 spot is between Pacquiao and Hopkins.
mrchitown
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 16 2011, 10:06 PM) *
I voted for Hopkins so it bothers me not but are you seriously trying to tell me that Morales, Barerra and Marquez aren't as good as Floyd's list of opponents? Seriously are you shitten me? Floyd has beaten De la Hoya. The rest would struggle to make the HoF.

I stand by wht the phuck I said! Yes Pac did beat 3 mexican legends but as a "whole", Mayweather's resume is more complete then his. He's beaten Corrales, Gatti(How dare you imply that he would struggle to make the HOF), DLH, Hatton, Zab, Mosley & the list goes on. Many say that Floyd has fought these people when it's beneficial to him but the same could be said for Manny & I don't believe he beat Marquez . He fought those warriors @ the tail end of their careers. Don't let your emotions get your ass checked into some shit you can't handle
gravytrain
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Aug 16 2011, 04:40 PM) *
Hopkins wins from 2000-2010

Jones Jr
Ornelas
Pavlik
Wright
Tarver
DLH
Allen
Joppy
Hakkar
Trinidad
Holmes
Echols
Vanderpool

Mayweather wins 2000-2010

Mosley
Marquez
Hatton
DLH
Baldomir
Judah
Mitchell
Gatti
Bruseles
Corley
N'dou
Sosa
Castillo
Castillo
Hernandez
Corrales
Augustus
Vargas

When put like this, i have to say Mayweather's wins are as impressive as Hopkins. Hopkins best wins are Trinidad, DLH, Tarver, Pavlik, and Wright. Mayweather's are Corrales, Castillo 2x, Judah, DLH, Hatton, JMM, and Mosley. I think the better resume goes to Mayweather, even Mayweather's secondary opponents outweigh Hopkins'. Before i put this together i favored Hopkins but now i lean towards PBF, Hopkins gets no credit for his losses

his wins over Trinidad, Tarver, De La Hoya and Pavlik are more impressive.

he's hand picked opponents and fought fighters coming off of a loss or poor performance. with your criteria you can't even pick him.

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 16 2011, 11:45 PM) *
I stand by wht the phuck I said! Yes Pac did beat 3 mexican legends but as a "whole", Mayweather's resume is more complete then his. He's beaten Corrales, Gatti(How dare you imply that he would struggle to make the HOF), DLH, Hatton, Zab, Mosley & the list goes on. Many say that Floyd has fought these people when it's beneficial to him but the same could be said for Manny & I don't believe he beat Marquez . He fought those warriors @ the tail end of their careers. Don't let your emotions get your ass checked into some shit you can't handle

Sounds like you're the one whose getting his panties in a bunch tough guy.

Gatti I think will make the HoF on emotion only, and if you want to compare a Gatti win against a Barerra, Morales or JMM win then you are delusional. Same with Corrales. Seriously I don't rate Hatton so neither guy gets a big tick for that fight. And Zab. Please tell me you're joking right? Zab (hot off a loss) is a great win??!!

DLH was in semi-retirement for their fight and Floyd was obviously feeding off of Bernard's scraps but I gave Floyd a tick for that win. Mosley came in 2010 which I'm counting as the next decade (see previous posts) so that doesn't count.

Let me guess, "you're a boxing fan first and a Floyd fan second."
mrchitown
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 17 2011, 12:52 AM) *
Sounds like you're the one whose getting his panties in a bunch tough guy.

Gatti I think will make the HoF on emotion only, and if you want to compare a Gatti win against a Barerra, Morales or JMM win then you are delusional. Same with Corrales. Seriously I don't rate Hatton so neither guy gets a big tick for that fight. And Zab. Please tell me you're joking right? Zab (hot off a loss) is a great win??!!

DLH was in semi-retirement for their fight and Floyd was obviously feeding off of Bernard's scraps but I gave Floyd a tick for that win. Mosley came in 2010 which I'm counting as the next decade (see previous posts) so that doesn't count.

Let me guess, "you're a boxing fan first and a Floyd fan second."

That's your opinion and I have mine, but don't disrespect me for stating facts. Take it how you want to Olle or whatever your name is. Your allowing your ignorance to cloud your judgement. I'm not comapring anything here except whole bodies of work and in that time Floyd's body of work his better then Manny's "in my opinion". Say what you want about Zab but he's the only 1 to give Floyd problems besides a prime Castillo. That's why I count that. And to answer your question I'm a man first and a boxing fan second. Respect me as such or stfu
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 17 2011, 01:08 AM) *
That's your opinion and I have mine, but don't disrespect me for stating facts. Take it how you want to Olle or whatever your name is. Your allowing your ignorance to cloud your judgement. I'm not comapring anything here except whole bodies of work and in that time Floyd's body of work his better then Manny's "in my opinion". Say what you want about Zab but he's the only 1 to give Floyd problems besides a prime Castillo. That's why I count that. And to answer your question I'm a man first and a boxing fan second. Respect me as such or stfu

With each post you sound more and more like a clown. To paraphrase a very famous quote on these boards, 'whaddya going to do, hit with me typeby?'

First you are 'stating the facts' then it's just your 'opinion.' Well which one is it? I'll say what I want about Zab, and that is that he hasn't had much of a career. Only one win against Cory Spinks and that's IT. Yet somehow in your Floydcentric world a win over Zab is better than a win over Morales, Barerra or JMM. I mean heck I'm happy to start a thread/vote where we can see which other fight fans think if it is a better win. You wanna put some money on who would win that bet?

Now go and suck on mommy's tit and if you're really lucky she may read you a bedtime story, clearly you like fairytales laugh.gif
riddick
QUOTE (E.C.LEGEND @ Aug 16 2011, 09:48 PM) *
Has anyone gotten fighter of the decade twice? It would be weird if someone got the award twice.

Sugar Ray Robinson in 40s, 50s.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Aug 17 2011, 12:31 PM) *
41-0 without the hype job and "good guy, I love the people, I am Mr. Humble" image. Raw talent with great work ethic. Opponents that were a challenge and not carefully hand picked or coming off of loses or horrible performances.

Wow. Just to cherrypick some of his challenging non hand picked fighters coming off not horrible performances or losses

Corley coming off a LOSS to Zab Judah.
Mitchell coming off a TD & a career altering beatdown by Tszyu.
Judah coming off a humiliating loss where even if he got a win it was a horrible performance.
DLH had not won a real legit fight since he beat Vargas years earlier.

You sound tired & thirsty. You must need a drink.

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 17 2011, 06:16 AM) *
Wow. Just to cherrypick some of his challenging non hand picked fighters coming off not horrible performances or losses

Corley coming off a LOSS to Zab Judah.
Mitchell coming off a TD & a career altering beatdown by Tszyu.
Judah coming off a humiliating loss where even if he got a win it was a horrible performance.
DLH had not won a real legit fight since he beat Vargas years earlier.

You sound tired & thirsty. You must need a drink.

Steve you must be losing your touch. You forgot Gatti, Bruessels and my personal favourite, piss drinking midget JMM at a CW he couldn't even be bothered to make. All class.

Can I have some of that Kool Aid? It does look awfully tasty and refreshing!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 17 2011, 09:32 PM) *
Steve you must be losing your touch. You forgot Gatti, Bruessels and my personal favourite, piss drinking midget JMM at a CW he couldn't even be bothered to make. All class.

Can I have some of that Kool Aid? It does look awfully tasty and refreshing!

True. I forgot about the hand picked part. Add JMM, Bruseles & Gatti to the list.

BTW it is not Kool Aid it is Floyd's menstrual blood with ice.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 17 2011, 07:39 AM) *
True. I forgot about the hand picked part. Add JMM, Bruseles & Gatti to the list.

BTW it is not Kool Aid it is Floyd's menstrual blood with ice.

Is that one of the prizes Floyd was offering his fans in that 'After dark' series? I know a couple of definite takers on this board.
Cshel86
I almost spoke too soon about being happy that this thread didn't turn into a Pacquiao/Mayweather argument. Both of these guys have some big names on their resumes, whether those opponents go to the HOF is out of our hands. The fact is, a name is a name. Beating fighters with big names, subsequently builds your name in this sport. Both of these guys did the same thing, that had their best fights at the lower weight classes, but when they were in arm's length of stardom, the condition of the big named opponents were in question for the most part.

We all know that Mayweather fought guys who were coming off of big wins, and Pacquiao dismantled guys that came off of losses, period. Im guessing that after they fight once, twice, or maybe even three times, the results will be clear. Im glad that Hopkins was brought up because he did more than enough to seal his legacy as a HOF fighter and also be recognized as a potential fighter of the decade. He talked up and promoted all of his biggest fights and made the most of them.
SENTRAL
It is rather sad how Mayweather seems to have been given a pass for what is quite frankly a very poor resume post 2004.  Yes, I think we all agree Mayweather is a fantastically talented exponent of the noble art but in terms of quality of opposition he falls way behind most, if not all, of the great fighters some of his fans believe he is better than.

He has sadly managed to hypnotize the foolish into believing he is a ring legend but his inactivity, cherry picking and highly unimpressive resume begs to differ by quite some margin.  I won't deny that he is a far more formidable boxer than his resume suggests but in this sport if you don't face the best you cannot look back and claim you were the best.  You have to prove it.

His fans give him his dues for taking a big shot from Mosley, who we all know was old and slower than in his prime, and going onto dominate the fight.  Well Vernon Forrest dominated Mosley in a far superior  manner than Floyd managed to do and it was a much better version of Shane back then too.  He barely scraped past another old fighter in De La Hoya and yet he is excused for this.  Ricky Hatton was beaten at 147, a weight Ricky was very ineffective at, and is used as a good opponent whom Floyd defeated.  Ahem, this is the same Ricky Hatton who ALWAYS faced ridicule by fight fans before Floyd beat him.  Once he did are we supposed to be impressed?  Gatti was made for him, a good fighter but never a threat to Mayweather and never a threat to most genuine world class boxers.  Judah?  No, we can't have Judah on a list of the fighters he's beaten and be impressed by it.  The list goes on and on.

Yep, at 130 and 135 Floyd was a delight to watch and actually seemed to be in love with the sport.  He was genuinely exciting, genuinely magnificent to watch.  He perhaps lost the first Castillo fight but made amends in the rematch and everything pointed to him going onto become a modern ring legend.  Then I think he fell out of love with boxing, began to believe he was untouchable and adopted the fake gangsta persona he so badly fails to pull off.  His hip hop friends, his inactivity, his woeful resume post 2004, his diatribe and slanderous comments from both himself and his crazy family, seems to have been bought by the fans who so idolize him.  He is not near to be the greatest at 130, 135, 140, 147 or any CW he decides to take part in.  Nobody can dispute that and I will tear down and rip to pieces ANY poster who claims he is the greatest at any of those weight divisions.  It's become a sickening disease to laud this man as if he is the second
coming of Ray Robinson and I feel his fans need to do some research on the sport of boxing pre-Mayweather so as to educate themselves and stop themselves from looking so abhorrently foolish in the future.
Method
2000-2010?

Ex. Has all the big names and THEN some.
Method
41-0 without the hype job and "good guy, I love the people, I am Mr. Humble" image. Raw talent with great work ethic. Opponents that were a challenge and not carefully hand picked or coming off of loses or horrible performances.

Interesting. So Gatti wasnt hand picked, or suffered losses? DLH? Corley? I mean, who the FUCK was Carlos Baldomir? He was selling fucking feather dusters on the street (that's worse than some of the custodial arts majors that Roy handpicked). Henry Brussels? In front of an EMPTY American Airlines Arena.
mrchitown
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 17 2011, 01:49 AM) *
With each post you sound more and more like a clown. To paraphrase a very famous quote on these boards, 'whaddya going to do, hit with me typeby?'

First you are 'stating the facts' then it's just your 'opinion.' Well which one is it? I'll say what I want about Zab, and that is that he hasn't had much of a career. Only one win against Cory Spinks and that's IT. Yet somehow in your Floydcentric world a win over Zab is better than a win over Morales, Barerra or JMM. I mean heck I'm happy to start a thread/vote where we can see which other fight fans think if it is a better win. You wanna put some money on who would win that bet?

Now go and suck on mommy's tit and if you're really lucky she may read you a bedtime story, clearly you like fairytales laugh.gif

Talking to you is like conversating with a teenager. My "opinion" includes "stating the facts". There's a difference idiot. I love floyd, manny, and bernard. But when you take a close look at their bodies of work as a whole manny isn't in the convo. In my "opinion" he hasn't beaten JMM. I think he's going to destroy JMM in Nov. He has beaten legends but he has losses in that time period, draws also, and contorversial wins(JMM). B hop and Mayweather can claim none of that. B hopp has controversial losses. By your acct, Zab is not a worthy W for Floyd. Ok, that's your opinion. But I could say the same for those victories over hatton and cotto. Cotto was busted up by margarito, he wasn't any good. And who has he beaten? Some believe he lost to sugar shane. It's just an observation. You believe what you want but yourdelusional to think that I favor one over the other due to being a fan as I'm a fan of floyd, manny, and b hop...who are clearly ahead of the pack for this kind of honor
caneman
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 17 2011, 11:31 AM) *
Talking to you is like conversating with a teenager. My "opinion" includes "stating the facts". There's a difference idiot. I love floyd, manny, and bernard. But when you take a close look at their bodies of work as a whole manny isn't in the convo. In my "opinion" he hasn't beaten JMM. I think he's going to destroy JMM in Nov. He has beaten legends but he has losses in that time period, draws also, and contorversial wins(JMM). B hop and Mayweather can claim none of that. B hopp has controversial losses. By your acct, Zab is not a worthy W for Floyd. Ok, that's your opinion. But I could say the same for those victories over hatton and cotto. Cotto was busted up by margarito, he wasn't any good. And who has he beaten? Some believe he lost to sugar shane. It's just an observation. You believe what you want but yourdelusional to think that I favor one over the other due to being a fan as I'm a fan of floyd, manny, and b hop...who are clearly ahead of the pack for this kind of honor

I NEVER heard anyone who thought Shane beat Cotto and for the record while I believe Pac fucked up bad by taking some of the fight he took as of late, mainly not going after Berto, IMO it's hard to knock his resume and say FMJ's is better! If you are gonna say who did Cotto ever beat, it is more so for Zab since that damaged Cotto you talk of smoked him! Whatever though...........
caneman
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Aug 17 2011, 10:25 AM) *
It is rather sad how Mayweather seems to have been given a pass for what is quite frankly a very poor resume post 2004.  Yes, I think we all agree Mayweather is a fantastically talented exponent of the noble art but in terms of quality of opposition he falls way behind most, if not all, of the great fighters some of his fans believe he is better than.

He has sadly managed to hypnotize the foolish into believing he is a ring legend but his inactivity, cherry picking and highly unimpressive resume begs to differ by quite some margin.  I won't deny that he is a far more formidable boxer than his resume suggests but in this sport if you don't face the best you cannot look back and claim you were the best.  You have to prove it.

His fans give him his dues for taking a big shot from Mosley, who we all know was old and slower than in his prime, and going onto dominate the fight.  Well Vernon Forrest dominated Mosley in a far superior  manner than Floyd managed to do and it was a much better version of Shane back then too.  He barely scraped past another old fighter in De La Hoya and yet he is excused for this.  Ricky Hatton was beaten at 147, a weight Ricky was very ineffective at, and is used as a good opponent whom Floyd defeated.  Ahem, this is the same Ricky Hatton who ALWAYS faced ridicule by fight fans before Floyd beat him.  Once he did are we supposed to be impressed?  Gatti was made for him, a good fighter but never a threat to Mayweather and never a threat to most genuine world class boxers.  Judah?  No, we can't have Judah on a list of the fighters he's beaten and be impressed by it.  The list goes on and on.

Yep, at 130 and 135 Floyd was a delight to watch and actually seemed to be in love with the sport.  He was genuinely exciting, genuinely magnificent to watch.  He perhaps lost the first Castillo fight but made amends in the rematch and everything pointed to him going onto become a modern ring legend.  Then I think he fell out of love with boxing, began to believe he was untouchable and adopted the fake gangsta persona he so badly fails to pull off.  His hip hop friends, his inactivity, his woeful resume post 2004, his diatribe and slanderous comments from both himself and his crazy family, seems to have been bought by the fans who so idolize him.  He is not near to be the greatest at 130, 135, 140, 147 or any CW he decides to take part in.  Nobody can dispute that and I will tear down and rip to pieces ANY poster who claims he is the greatest at any of those weight divisions.  It's become a sickening disease to laud this man as if he is the second
coming of Ray Robinson and I feel his fans need to do some research on the sport of boxing pre-Mayweather so as to educate themselves and stop themselves from looking so abhorrently foolish in the future.

Very good post with solid points IMO! Good work!!!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 17 2011, 11:31 AM) *
Talking to you is like conversating with a teenager. My "opinion" includes "stating the facts". There's a difference idiot. I love floyd, manny, and bernard. But when you take a close look at their bodies of work as a whole manny isn't in the convo. In my "opinion" he hasn't beaten JMM. I think he's going to destroy JMM in Nov.

Of course Manny (and Hopkins) took some losses, that is what is going to happen when you take on consistently tough guys.

Well since opinions count as facts in your reckoning it is the opinion of many posters on this board that Floyd did not beat Castillo in their first fight. So does that count as well? There you go again clinging to Floyd's 'O' like a life raft in the sea. If that's the case then perhaps we should bring Calzaghe into the convo?

Think before you type Sparky. Honestly you Mayweather fans are so easy to discredit it's a joke.

Next.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Aug 17 2011, 10:25 AM) *

You know I like your posting style and wish you would get off your lazy ass and post more often, this may be your best post to date. clapping.gif
Method
QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 17 2011, 02:26 PM) *
I NEVER heard anyone who thought Shane beat Cotto and for the record while I believe Pac fucked up bad by taking some of the fight he took as of late, mainly not going after Berto, IMO it's hard to knock his resume and say FMJ's is better! If you are gonna say who did Cotto ever beat, it is more so for Zab since that damaged Cotto you talk of smoked him! Whatever though...........

I thought Shane edged Cotto at the end, brother. Sorry. I thought he did just enough to win the fight. Unfortunately for me, Shane didnt think he won (as evidenced by his post-fight speech), so it's hard to argue for him. Haha.
caneman
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 17 2011, 04:46 PM) *
I thought Shane edged Cotto at the end, brother. Sorry. I thought he did just enough to win the fight. Unfortunately for me, Shane didnt think he won (as evidenced by his post-fight speech), so it's hard to argue for him. Haha.

I thought Cotto won by at least 2 and close to 3 rounds but all good!
Method
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 17 2011, 04:57 PM) *
Of course Manny (and Hopkins) took some losses, that is what is going to happen when you take on consistently tough guys.

That's where I'm at. Thing is, I thought Hopkins beat both Calzaghe AND Taylor. Despite that, even though he's had some "L's", he never got outboxed. He took both those cats to school. Anytime you can cut Calzags work rate in half, have him flailing shots, you're doing something. I dont think guys should be penalized for losing close decisions against top guys. They dare to be great. Can't penalize that. Especially if you're not getting your ass kicked.

Add Calzaghe and Taylor's name to Hopkins' resume, and it only bolsters his case for the decade.

This is just my opinion, and I obviously respect both Floyd and Pac as fighters.

That's why I have no idea how people are so quick to put Donaire, Martinez ahead of Hopkins on the P4P list. He's done so much more than those cats, and is STILL competing at an elite level.

That clip of Ex and Rashad is vintage stuff...well, maybe not vintage, but its pretty fucking cool to see him break that shit down the way he did.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 17 2011, 06:25 PM) *
That's where I'm at. Thing is, I thought Hopkins beat both Calzaghe AND Taylor. Despite that, even though he's had some "L's", he never got outboxed. He took both those cats to school. Anytime you can cut Calzags work rate in half, have him flailing shots, you're doing something. I dont think guys should be penalized for losing close decisions against top guys. They dare to be great. Can't penalize that. Especially if you're not getting your ass kicked.

Add Calzaghe and Taylor's name to Hopkins' resume, and it only bolsters his case for the decade.

This is just my opinion, and I obviously respect both Floyd and Pac as fighters.

That's why I have no idea how people are so quick to put Donaire, Martinez ahead of Hopkins on the P4P list. He's done so much more than those cats, and is STILL competing at an elite level.

That clip of Ex and Rashad is vintage stuff...well, maybe not vintage, but its pretty fucking cool to see him break that shit down the way he did.

And neither do I. This is where the Floyd fan boys hinge their whole argument, he's undefeated. Honestly I don't put a great deal of stock in that. I would much rather guys dare to be great as you say and a take a couple of close losses along the way.

Hey did you notice that little jab Hopkins put in during that clip with Evans? I think he was talking about the shoulder roll, "just like James Toney, do you remember him? Haha classic Hopkins.
mrchitown
QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 17 2011, 01:26 PM) *

I heard many writers and fans alike saying that they felt Shane won. I also believe that Shane won that fight but it definitely was one of those close fights that could've went either way. And your right it's definitely hard to knock manny's career credentials and that's not my intent as I'm a big fan of his but when i look @ the overall body of work in that time frame I would go with Floyd over Bernard and Manny. And I also agree that he should've pursued a Berto fight as he has taken alot of criticism due to his opposition as of late. And Cotto in my opinion is damaged, not during that fight with Zab which I felt the low blows were taking a toll on Zab, but after that he was in a tough scrap with Shane, he was getting rocked by Zab until Zab faded, He looked decent in his defenses against Gomez and got bricked by Margarito and demolished by Manny. That's what I mean by damaged. Truth is...He wasn't damaged when he fought Zab but he sure as hell was damaged a few fights after that
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 17 2011, 05:43 PM) *
Hey did you notice that little jab Hopkins put in during that clip with Evans? I think he was talking about the shoulder roll, "just like James Toney, do you remember him? Haha classic Hopkins.

yea i noticed that.. and was wondering what he meant by that??...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Aug 17 2011, 06:54 PM) *
yea i noticed that.. and was wondering what he meant by that??...

Probably just making the point that James is irrelevant whilst he is still the man. Hopkins is such an example of work ethic. I sincerely believe that if Toney had the same work ethic as Hopkins he would be top 5 p4p all time. However work ethic must be considered part of a fighters overall greatness and in this department James falls down badly. Probably worse than any great I can think of.
mrchitown
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 17 2011, 03:57 PM) *

Well since opinions count as facts in your reckoning it is the opinion of many posters on this board that Floyd did not beat Castillo in their first fight. So does that count as well? There you go again clinging to Floyd's 'O' like a life raft in the sea. If that's the case then perhaps we should bring Calzaghe into the convo?

Think before you type Sparky. Honestly you Mayweather fans are so easy to discredit it's a joke.

Next.

Cut the redneck act. How old are you, if you've read anything in a mature and consistent manner then you would've been able to see my point of view. You have an opinion and so do I. Just because I defend my opinion doesn't make me a dominant floyd fan and just because i seem to disagree with your views on manny in some ways...doesn't make me a pac hater. I like both. I like Hopkins as well, I just favor Floyd in this particular arguement. And I do believe Castillo beat Floyd the first fight and he came back and won the rematch. I don't and will Not give him credit for the JMM fight because I don't feel he's beaten him...YET. Once again this is my "opinion". When I said I stated "facts" is when I like you and many posters as you put it agree that Mayweather lost to Castillo. Or the draws and losses for manny and b hop. separate the 2 and pay attn friend. I'm not going to go back in forth with you if you can't bother to read and asess what I am saying in an accurate manner. I'm a fan ofall 3 of these great fighters and it's just an opnion devised of "facts". Good day to you Mr Fan Club
STEVENSKI
There is one man who can settle this debate & his word is final. Where is Jonnys Trainer?
Fitz
Give me Hopkins.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 17 2011, 07:03 PM) *
Cut the redneck act.

Please point out to me the 'redneck'posts I've made on the subject. I'm curious I really am. As to the rest of your post, I read it once (which was once too much) and couldn't understand a syllable of it. It was all over the place like a mad woman having a shit.

Now focus Mr Town and give us something intelligable!

I'd still like you to address the fights which you think are Floyd's greatest wins and how they rank over Hopkons or Pac's greatest wins. I've been quite clear I think 7 fights and only 1 loss to the 3 Mexicans trumps anything Floyd has done, De la Hoya included.

Same with Hopkins wins over Trinidad, Wright, Pavlik and Tarver. Again the only fighter I can put in that category for Floyd is Fishnets. I would put Castillo and Corrales probably in the Pavlik type category. Pretty good fighters with some great wins but peppered with a few too many losses to be ATG's.

Sure Hopkins lost a close disputed decision to Calzaghe but whom has Floyd fought in the last 5 years that was as good as Calzaghe?

If you don't want to go back and forth fine, but at least alert me to my redneck posts will you champ?
sduck
Yawn, I don't listen to haters, they're all the same to me. Hypocrites. Let's try to settle this in a non-biased fashion shall we? Let's look at and compare their notable resumes from 2000-2009.

Mayweather
1) Vargas - Moved down a weight class. 40-6 Coming off a reign of wins, Mayweather dominated and retained the WBC Super Featherweight title.
2) Augustus - Coming off a win, but a reign of losses. Mayweather moved up a weight class, came from a year hiatus, and KO'd Augustus and retained the WBC Super Featherweight title.
3) Corrales - Undefeated 33-0. Mayweather destroyed Corrales and retained the WBC Super Featherweight title.
4) C. Hernandez - Was 34-2 coming off a reign of wins. Mayweather broke both his hands half-way through the fight, still dominated and retained the WBC Super Featherweight title.
5) Chavez - Was 35-1 coming off a large reign of wins. Mayweather dominated him and retained the WBC Super Featherweight title.
6) Castillo 1 - Coming off wins, both fighters made weight transitions. Mayweather won a controversial UD, winning the WBC Lightweight and The Ring Lightweight World titles. Many feel like Castillo won this fight. Mayweather complained of an arm injury.
7) Castillo 2 - Mayweather shutdown all criticism by beating Castillo in a clear dominating fashion. Mayweather retained the WBC and The Ring Lightweight titles.
8) Sosa - Was 35-2 coming off wins. Mayweather dominated him to retain the WBC and The Ring Lightweight titles.
9) N'dou - 30-1 coming off a large reign of wins. Mayweather KO'd him, retaining the WBC and The Ring Lightweight titles.
-) Corley - Coming off a SD defeat to Judah losing the WBO light welterweight title. Mayweather wins in a dominating fashion for his first fight at Super Lightweight, for the WBC Super Lightweight Eliminator... opinion if you want to give him credit or not.
10) Bruseless - Not a very impressive fighter, but coming off wins. Mayweather KO'd him for the WBC Super Lightweight Eliminator.
11) Gatti - In many wars, but coming off wins. Mayweather KO'd him and won the WBC Super Lightweight title.
12) Mitchell - 56-4, coming off a TD victory and a TKO loss to Tszyu beforehand. Mayweather KO's Mitchell for his first fight at Welterweight.
-) Judah - Coming off a UD Decision loss to Baldomir, losing the WBC Welterweight title. Mayweather dominates him and wins the IBF and IBO World Welterweight titles... opinion if you want to give him credit or not.
13) Baldomir - Coming off a large reign of victories. Mayweather dominates him and retained the IBO Welterweight title, and won the WBC, IBA, and The Ring Welterweight titles.
14) De La Hoya - Coming out of retirement with a KO victory over Mayorga. Mayweather's first fight at Super Welterweight. Mayweather wins to attain the WBC Super Welterweight title.
15) Hatton - Undefeated 43-0. Both fighters made weight transitions. Mayweather KO'd him to retain the WBC and The Ring Welterweight titles.
-) Marquez - Coming off two dominating victories and a SD defeat to Pacquiao beforehand. Moved up two weight classes; fought at a catch-weight. Non-title fight. Mayweather came out of a 2 year retirement and dominated him.

Pacquiao
1) Barotillo - Not an impressive fighter but coming off wins. Pacquiao KO'd him to retain the WBC Super Bantamweight International title.
2) Chae - Was 23-0 undefeated. Pacquiao KO'd him to retain the WBC Super Bantamweight International title.
3) Hussein - Was 19-0 undefeated. Pacquiao KO'd him to retain the WBC Super Bantamweight International title.
-) Senrima - Coming off a UD loss for the Japanese Super Bantamweight title. Pacquiao KO'd him retained the WBC Super Bantamweight International title... opinion if you want to give him credit or not.
4) Sakmuangklang - Was 33-2 Coming off wins. Pacquiao KO'd him, retaining the WBC Super Bantamweight International title.
5) Ledwaba - Was 33-1 coming off a large reign of wins. Pacquiao KO'd him winning the IBF Super Bantamweight World title.
-) Sanchez - Fight concluded to a TD draw.
6) Julio - Was 44-3 coming off two wins, but two losses beforehand. Pacquiao KO'd him retaining the IBF Super Bantamweight World title.
7) Rakkiatgym - Was 37-2 coming off a large reign of wins. Pacquiao KO'd him retaining the IBF Super Bantamweight World title.
-) Yeshmagambetov - Not an impressive fighter, coming off a TKO victory, but a UD loss beforehand. Pacquiao KO'd him in a non-title fight.
8) Lucero - Was 21-0 undefeated. Pacquiao KO'd him retaining the IBF Super Bantamweight title.
9) Barrera 1 - Coming off wins. Pacquiao's first fight at Featherweight. Pacquiao dominated him and won The Ring Featherweight title.
-) Marquez 1 - Both fighters coming off a reign of wins. Fight concluded to a controversial draw. Fight was for the WBA and IBF Featherweight World titles.
10) Thawatchai - Was 44-7 coming off a draw, win, and loss. Pacquiao KO'd him to retain The Ring Featherweight title.
-) Morales 1 - Came off a MD loss to Barrera and lost the WBC Super Featherweight title. Pacquiao moved up a weight class. Pacquiao is dominated and loses to Morales. Pacquiao made many complaints. Fight was for Vacant WBC International and IBA Super Featherweight titles.
11) Velazquez - Not a very impressive fighter but coming off wins. Pacquiao KOs him and wins the Vacant WBC Super Featherweight International title.
-) Morales 2 - Came off a dominating title fight loss to Raheem. Weight-drained from moving down a weight class. Pacquiao KO'd him to retain the WBC Super Featherweight International title.
-) Larios - Came off a KO defeat. Pacquiao dominates him to retain the WBC Super Featherweight International title.
-) Morales 3 - Fought right after Morales 2. Pacquiao KO'd him this time in 3 rounds to retain the WBC Super Featherweight International title... opinion if you want to give him credit or not.
12) Solis - Was 33-0 Undefeated. Moved up a weight class. Pacquiao KO'd him to retain the WBC Super Featherweight International title.
-) Barrera 2 - Coming off a dominating UD defeat to Marquez and lost the WBC Super Featherweight title. Pacquiao dominates him and retains the WBC Super Featherweight International title.
13) Marquez 2 - Pacquiao wins by a one-point SD victory, winning the WBC and The Ring Super Featherweight titles. Most people felt Marquez won the fight, in almost a dominating fashion.
14) Diaz - Was 34-1 coming off wins. Pacquiao moved up a weight class. Pacquiao KO'd him, winning the WBC Lightweight title.
-) De La Hoya - Coming off a win, but a defeat to Mayweather beforehand. A non-title fight at a catch-weight; DLH was dehydrated and weight-drained. Pacquiao wins by KO.
15) Hatton - Came off two dominating victories, even though losing an undefeated battle to Mayweather beforehand. Pacquiao moved down a weight class. Pacquiao KO'd Hatton and won the IBO and The Ring Light Welterweight titles.
16) Cotto - Came off a TKO and SD victory, even though was TKO'd by Margarito beforehand. Fought at a catch-weight, but it benifited no fighter. Pacquiao moved up a weight class. Pacquiao dominated and won the WBO Welterweight title, and the WBC Daimond belt.

Hopkins
1) Echols - Not a very impressive fighter but coming off wins, Hopkins KO'd him to retain the IBF Middleweight title.
2) Holmes - Coming off wins, Hopkins dominated him to retain the IBF Middleweight title, and win the WBC Middleweight title.
3) Trinidad - Trinidad was 40-0 undefeated, but was dominated by Hopkins. Hopkins retained the IBF and WBC Middleweight titles, and won the WBA Super World Middleweight title.
4) Daniels - Coming off wins, Hopkins KO'd him, retaining the IBF, WBC, and WBA titles.
5) Hakkar - Coming off a defeat to Sanavia, but destroyed him in a rematch... Hopkins KO'd him, and retained the IBF, WBC, and WBA titles.
6) Joppy - Was KO'd by Trinidad beforehand, but came off two victories, one of them a KO, another against a 32-0 undefeated fighter. Hopkins retained the IBF, WBC, and WBA titles.
7) Allen - Coming off wins. Hopkins dominated and retained the IBF, WBC, and WBA Middleweight titles.
8) De La Hoya - Coming off a defeat to Mosley, and a UD victory over Sturm for his first fight at Middleweight. Hopkins KO'd DLH and retained the IBF, WBC, and WBA Middleweight titles, and won the WBO Middleweight title. Most people felt Sturm was robbed by DLH.
9) Eastman - Impressive fighter from Guyana, coming off a reign of victories. Hopkins dominated him and retained the IBF, WBC, WBA, and WBO Middleweight titles.
-) Taylor 1 - Undefeated 23-0, defeated Hopkins in a SD victory. Hopkins lost the IBF, WBC, WBA, and WBO Middleweight titles.
-) Taylor 2 - Once again defeating Hopkins, this time by a UD victory.
10) Tarver - Coming off two dominating victories. Hopkins dominated him and won the IBO and The Ring Light Heavyweight titles.
11) Wright - Coming off a reign of victories. Hopkins dominated him and retained The Ring Light Heavyweight titles.
-) Calzaghe - Undefeated 44-0, defeated Hopkins in a SD victory. Hopkins lost The Ring Light Heavywight title.
12) Pavlik - Undefeated 34-0, fought at a catch-weight in favor of Pavlik. Pavlik was dominated by Hopkins.
-) Ornelas - Ornelas coming off a KO victory, but a SD loss beforehand. Ornelas moved up a weight class. Non-title fight.

Showdown: Mayweather - Pacquiao - Hopkins
Record: 15-0 - 16-1-2 - 12-3 - Mayweather
Record in Title Fights: 13-0 - 16-1-2 - 11-3 - Mayweather
Titles Owned(Any "title"): 10 - 10 - 6 - Mayweather/Pacquiao
Weight Class Transitions(Including fluctuation): 7 - 8 - 1 - Pacquiao
Undefeated Fights(Regardless of who won): 2 - 3 - 5 - Hopkins
Longest Running Champion: 7 years - 9 years - 4 years - Pacquiao

Score: 3 - 3 - 1 - Draw: Mayweather/Pacquiao

If more things were included like "Most Money Earned". Mayweather would be the winner.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.