Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Mind of a Fighter
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Allmenjoi8
Having played collegiate tennis my mindset before each match was: stay focused and stay in the moment. I didn't want to talk to anyone neither did I want to look at my opponent until warm ups. The day of the match I was moody and excited at the same time after the match not matter the outcome, mentally I was drained and physically tired.
I never boxed and I never plan to, but I was wondering what is the psychological mindset of a boxer going into a fight and after a fight?
mgrover
when I went into my first fight I was nervous as hell, almost didn't feel real. After the fight I was just knackered, both mental and physically. But after that fight I just did my warm ups and walked in cool and casual. after the first time I realised there was nothing that could hurt me in there, as stupid as that sounds. Although one time I wasn't focusing, didn't train for the fight and took a proper beating. I think its different for everyone some prefer being hyped up, some prefer being relaxed. this was only amateur by the way
Method
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Aug 16 2011, 12:12 PM) *
Having played collegiate tennis...

Reg Dumb?
caneman
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 16 2011, 12:05 PM) *
Reg Dumb?

That would explain a few things honestly!
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 16 2011, 12:05 PM) *
Reg Dumb?

What? Reg dumb? explain, don't. Never mind do not feel like getting into a spat.
caneman
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Aug 16 2011, 12:58 PM) *
What? Reg dumb? explain, don't. Never mind do not feel like getting into a spat.

reg one was an old poster on here that played tennis! Believe me it was kinda funny in retrospect actually. It was no dig on you!
PColeman28
my mindest for any sport i did .... football, basketball, track and field, boxing, martial arts, was always to be relaxed.....it varies from person to person but regardless what sport you do you have to keep your mind clear, be relaxed, focus, and have short term memory....in fighting you want everything to be natural be reaction your faster that way when you think too much your slower movements become predictable(that's what training/sparring helps improve)...so for me staying calm and relaxed always allowed me to perform my best...i was always hyped up and excited/nervous but i never displayed it ( run around, screaming, yelling ,jumping) that just wasted energy it's better to conserve that and use it on your opponent, but that's how it was for me...it's different for everyone
and the NEW
After squats I get a very weird sensation in my legs, like they are about to collapse. It is the same sensation I get when entering the ring. I just remain confident, never fear anybody (some people when they know they are in with a real tough banger for example, will become more cautious knowing they will likely take some heat during the fight, you cannot have this mindset) and always try to hit the flow. As said above me, you cannot think about your punches or you will see a gap and it will be gone, you have to let it happen naturally. Unfortunately the only way to learn this is through thousands of hours of sparring and taking the shots to get the experience!
STEVENSKI
Reg One was the Arthur Ashe of the 80/90's. Unfortunately whitey held him down.
JONdaCON817
i played Basketball, Football, Tracc & Field and Boxing..

with Basketball it was all excitement. i was a coccy basketball player and i talked alot of shyt before a game.

Football was more of me ready to be on the field. i wasnt GREAT at football so my mindset was of not gettin hurt (or cracced, hitsticced, etc)

tracc and field was nerve reccing sitting on the bloccs waiting for the gun to go off

and Boxing by far had my nerves goin... anytime you stand across from someone waiting to take a beating has always gave me butterflies.. especially in the early stages when you DONT know whos across from you or what theyre capable of. once the bell rings its all relaxation, stayin focused, and tryin not to get mad or lose my cool...
caneman
Good to see you still talk shit bro!!! Lolz
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Aug 17 2011, 04:04 PM) *
i played Basketball, Football, Tracc & Field and Boxing..

with Basketball it was all excitement. i was a coccy basketball player and i talked alot of shyt before a game.

Football was more of me ready to be on the field. i wasnt GREAT at football so my mindset was of not gettin hurt (or cracced, hitsticced, etc)

tracc and field was nerve reccing sitting on the bloccs waiting for the gun to go off

and Boxing by far had my nerves goin... anytime you stand across from someone waiting to take a beating has always gave me butterflies.. especially in the early stages when you DONT know whos across from you or what theyre capable of. once the bell rings its all relaxation, stayin focused, and tryin not to get mad or lose my cool...

Are you a crip? That was a joke I noticed there are no ck's in your post
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.