Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where is the old guard?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
STEVENSKI
Seriously what has happened with this MB. All the old guard seem to vanished? JD, CEO & plenty of others seem to have just vanished. Is it the influx of the borderline retarded folk on here who only talk about one subject & two fighters?

What has happened to this site?
Method
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 18 2011, 04:05 AM) *
Seriously what has happened with this MB. All the old guard seem to vanished? JD, CEO & plenty of others seem to have just vanished. Is it the influx of the borderline retarded folk on here who only talk about one subject & two fighters?

Among other things.
STEVENSKI
Sad to see Meth. At least when we all had a difference of opinion we would be able to nut it out without "I am a boxing fan first but a fan of XXX second" & all the shit that seems to be spouted by some of the newer members.
Imperius3
The old guard is still around, just nothing real hot to talk about at the moment.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I don't know if they've even old old guard but I would like to see Keith and Blaze around. Man, Blaze would've schooled some of these Floydiots with his knowledge.

At least Jonny's trainer still pops in laugh.gif

And where has Snoop been hiding lately?
STEVENSKI
I was thinking about Blaze the other day. I remember he was real sick with his eye or something & then he dropped off the planet. Hope he is alright. Keith was coming along nicely as well.

I am becoming more & more convinced by the day that this board is populated by some hard working trolls as one second they are drinking the Mayweather cool aid & talking absolute nonsense & the next they are having rational debates that give the game away in my eyes.

I mentioned to CEO a couple of months ago that I thought this board had been infiltrated by some pretty good trolls & I stand by it. I should know I have trolled a few sites in my time & some of these new cats are either have shit for brains or are playing the game nicely. If so I take my hat off to them.

Pity as this was once the premier league boxing discussion platform on the net & is now a shadow of what it once was. We may not have had 10,000 members but the regulars here certainly knew their boxing & how to have a laugh at the same time.

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 18 2011, 06:59 AM) *
I was thinking about Blaze the other day. I remember he was real sick with his eye or something & then he dropped off the planet. Hope he is alright. Keith was coming along nicely as well.

I am becoming more & more convinced by the day that this board is populated by some hard working trolls as one second they are drinking the Mayweather cool aid & talking absolute nonsense & the next they are having rational debates that give the game away in my eyes.

I mentioned to CEO a couple of months ago that I thought this board had been infiltrated by some pretty good trolls & I stand by it. I should know I have trolled a few sites in my time & some of these new cats are either have shit for brains or are playing the game nicely. If so I take my hat off to them.

Pity as this was once the premier league boxing discussion platform on the net & is now a shadow of what it once was. We may not have had 10,000 members but the regulars here certainly knew their boxing & how to have a laugh at the same time.

I agree with the trolls theory. Don't know where they came from and it whether it is just a couple of dudes with different user names or a few of them. They all have very similiar sorts of names and very similiar writing styles so if I had to guess it would be just a few guys doing a job. And yeah I take my hat off to them too but it's like the joke has gone on a little too long and it is reducing the reputation and integrity of the boards. Maybe that has been their end-game all along.

Still this could all be fixed if the mods gave Torvix back his full status, high on power pellets and A-side meth I would bet my house that he would take down all these Floydiots singlehandedly.
SENTRAL

Far from being part of the old guard I am a relatively new poster here in relation to many of you guys.  I used to read the boards before I was a member and I was attracted to post here (albeit infrequently Ollie) because of the quality and lack of spamming.  Plus this site had rules which appeared to be adhered to.  I think there is still a sticky at the top of the page stressing no duplicate topics.

I have noticed a genuine decline in the quality of this board and feel it has become more like the other boards I don't even bother to read anymore.  Is it a forum raid?  Maybe.  The better posters here still keep the board alive but they are going round in circles making the same points in a different manner to the umpteen new guys who all have one agenda.

Well, you know what?  I don't blame the old time posters for
walking away.  I have had to frown at some of the stuff I have read of late including a nonchalant disregard by the sites admin for the guys who kept this board as the premier place to read boxing opinion when it wasn't infiltrated with a thousand douche bags.  It's almost as if Fighthype has decided to use the Floyd catchphrase for it's own purpose with a little twist on it....."If it makes traffic, it makes sense!"
caneman
I had noticed it started right after the after dark series and it got worse and worse. The boards were really slow at one point but now it has traffic but all the solid members are gone and no mods, sorry while he could ban me in a heartbeat, it's hard to count BigG as a mod! lol No offense!

From what I have seem multiple threads are fine these days cause it is said to bring traffic and if we don't like it, we don't need to post in it!!! I do think we have a troll problem in here though, not that it matters what I think! Truth be told, I think all message boards have taken a hit, it could be the economy it could be other things but no matter what, I
Think it was it covered by everyone above me and it was said very well!One thing that hasn't been covered though, this site is doing well on what it covers on the front page!
I do appreciate every ones hard work around here!
Cshel86
Im relatively new here, and I actually switched from boxingscene.com (of 18 months) to fighthype this summer. I started to question the credibility of the articles on the other site (bad spelling, bias articles, etc) along with the sources. Fighthype seems to have more order, and yes, I've noticed a decline in forum traffic myself. I think that everything revolving around boxing is taking a "Big Hit" because of the "Big Fight". It's caused the boxing world (and clueless fans) to choose sides and make a big fuss about it. That's where all of these newbies are coming from...believe me, boxingscene updates articles every few minutes on the strength of a simple quote from a fighter, so the debates and arguments got worse by the minute. It's still good to see Hype, Jack 1000, and other members with 10s of 1000s of posts active on the threads.
lloyd mayflower
Did CEO not say a couple of months ago he was taking a break from posting? Theres a lot of guys disappeared since I came on but the majority have coinciced with the influx of the T shirt team. Rusty Trombone and PR316 are another couple off the top of my head. PR liked to talk football which suited me
thehype
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Aug 18 2011, 07:37 AM) *
It's almost as if Fighthype has decided to use the Floyd catchphrase for it's own purpose with a little twist on it....."If it makes traffic, it makes sense!"

Yep!

laugh.gif

Funny, but I don't really see it being any better at other message boards at sites that do MORE traffic, and yet, have FAR MORE trolls and just plain childish posters. I really don't think it's as bad as some of you "old guard" say it is.

JD got married....CEO said he was taking a break...the rest of you grumpy old timers seem to still be around though. As for anyone who got banned...I ain't got a problem with them, so by all means, ask the mods who banned them if they can come back.

laugh.gif
daprofessor
i'm new to this board...but have noticed a trend on all boards. the "good ol' days" seems to be a hot topic that comes up from time to time. i get it. ppl like to recall good times but i think u have to take action in creating new ones. there will always be plenty to talk about in boxing. also, alienating/belittling posters will always lead to driving ppl away who might actually add to conversation. there's no need to shit on a guy because he happens to have a different point of view or is less informed. this place can use more traffic, but i think if we keep the conversations respectful more ppl will be inclined to participate.
thehype
The "good ol' days" of boxing were a lot better than now too.

laugh.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Aug 18 2011, 06:37 AM) *
I used to read the boards before I was a member and I was attracted to post here (albeit infrequently Ollie) because of the quality and lack of spamming.  Plus this site had rules which appeared to be adhered to.  I think there is still a sticky at the top of the page stressing no duplicate topics. ....."If it makes traffic, it makes sense!"

It's called my 'mind reversal motivation technique' designed to see promising members reach their full posting potential laugh.gif

I like the new slogan. Well I don't exactly like it but it sums up things well I think.
EAlbian
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 18 2011, 04:12 PM) *
The "good ol' days" of boxing were a lot better than now too.

laugh.gif

100% agree with you on that one haha. Idk what the "old gaurd" considers me, i'm relativly new here(been a member since 08 but didn't have time to post) but i enjoy a good boxing argument here and there and until im banned or get tired i'll keep posting. There are definitely some knowledgeable boxing fans on this site and some opinions i respect, doesn't mean i'm gonna agree with them tho haha
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
That's it. I'm gonna reach out to a Mod and ask them to extend the hand of friendship to Torvix, if only to see that crazy fuck go head to head with Floydiots. It would be epic, and very very funny.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 18 2011, 11:46 PM) *
That's it. I'm gonna reach out to a Mod and ask them to extend the hand of friendship to Torvix, if only to see that crazy fuck go head to head with Floydiots. It would be epic, and very very funny.

Motion seconded. Bring back MarzB too.
King Eugene
I've been around but dont post as much anymore because damn near every topic is the same or ends up becoming the same. Hell I barely even read some of the new posters post...I usually just skim over them until I see one of the older guys posting and if they are replying to a comment I'll read that but other than that its starting to all look the same. Instead of complaining I just ignore what I dont want to see.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 18 2011, 06:56 PM) *
I've been around but dont post as much anymore because damn near every topic is the same or ends up becoming the same. Hell I barely even read some of the new posters post...I usually just skim over them until I see one of the older guys posting and if they are replying to a comment I'll read that but other than that its starting to all look the same. Instead of complaining I just ignore what I dont want to see.

I'm finally coming around to this way of thinking.
thehype
You know, I seem to remember some private forum that was created for the "old guard" to continue to have their "more intelligent" conversations in a separate location....ironically, those guys never seemed to post in it, preferring instead to bring the conversation back out here.

Go figure.

dntknw.gif
sduck
I've been skimming this forum for a while but didn't decide to start posting until my join date... I only post on this board because there's more than just two sides of fans... most other boxing forums are just pactards vs floydiots. I personally don't mind the two-fighters (May-Pac) talk, I think it's entertaining a lot of the time, because the way I see it, if you're the biggest names in the sport (currently), of course you're going to be talked about the most... And it seems like a lot of the "old guard" can't stand it... it's best to just take King's advice.
lloyd mayflower
I dont have much experience, or interest in other forums, I dabbbled with boxingscene for about twenty minutes once, its shit. But anyway, my point is, I think its more about the sense of community this place has, or had. When I joined I did so because I was reading a round by round hype was doing while at work and quickly realised I liked it here. There was a strong sense of community and a certain level of self-policing. Everyone got on and anyone who got out of line was punished by the members, a lot of times before the mods even had a chance.

For me thats what has been diluted recently and probably what has driven some guys away. I'm not saying new blood is bad, far from it. What I think is bad is what has been described a million times over before, the influx of people who have no desire for discussion, debate, or anything else apart from praising Floyd Mayweather and taking issue with anyone who doesnt recognise him as god.

And before hype or anyone else tells me just to ignore those whose posts I dont like, remember, I'm still here, and will continue to be as long as I still enjoy it here. I hope most of the guys iv grown to like in the last few years stay too, and keep on calling spades spades
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 18 2011, 08:09 PM) *
You know, I seem to remember some private forum that was created for the "old guard" to continue to have their "more intelligent" conversations in a separate location....ironically, those guys never seemed to post in it, preferring instead to bring the conversation back out here.

Go figure.

dntknw.gif

I was proudly a member of Team FightHype but to be honest as you say most of the time the conversations were out on the main forum because there didn't seem to be a need to keep them private. I suspect if that forum was ressurected it would be getting a lot more use today laugh.gif

Can I at least have the little red Team FightHype letters back under my name? laugh.gif
Romulus9
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 18 2011, 08:33 PM) *
I was proudly a member of Team FightHype but to be honest as you say most of the time the conversations were out on the main forum because there didn't seem to be a need to keep them private. I suspect if that forum was ressurected it would be getting a lot more use today laugh.gif

Can I at least have the little red Team FightHype letters back under my name? laugh.gif

+1

Bring back Team FightHype. Institute a rule that prohibits a MENTION of Mayweather or Pacquiao, when they don't have a fight currently scheduled, that involves steroids, one of them being "afraid" of the other, or Mayweather/Pacquiao being the greatest fighter to ever put on gloves. If this rule is broken, a poll will be posted asking if said poster should be banned and/or pistol whipped.

Every damn topic turns into the exact same thing over and over. Threads about the next Klitschko fight SOMEHOW turn into a Mayweather and/or Pacquiao thread. As King Eugene said, you find yourself looking for one of the old guard and just talking to them so you don't completely lose your God blessed mind.
Hops
Make that private forum semi-private. New timers won't be able to post but they would be able to see what are posted.
Romulus9
QUOTE (Hops @ Aug 18 2011, 08:59 PM) *
Make that private forum semi-private. New timers won't be able to post but they would be able to see what are posted.

I like that idea too.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Hops @ Aug 18 2011, 08:59 PM) *

I'm not so sure, I mean how I am I supposed to discuss you behind your back? laugh.gif

Nah that seems an OK idea.
Big Slim Sweet
I've been around and continue to check in and chime in with something here and there but for the most part this is being done out of habit now more than anything else. Like King said, I often skim a thread and don't even read what most of the new posters are saying. Sometimes I'll go through 2-3 pages and not see a single poster I know. It's sad. Sometimes I feel like I want to post something, and then just can't be bothered.

From what I've gathered, there HAS been a change in the way the board is run now which has unsettled more than a few old timers, and it's Hype's board and he can do what he wants, but the place has kinda become no holds barred with every single conversation coming down to the same thing, the same guys, the same kind of comments, the same shit.

JD is gone. CEO is gone indefinitely and may or may not be back. Spyder is gone except for a little comical trolling here and there. As far as I can tell Snoop, Lightsout and DMarv are gone too. I'm sure there are other guys I'm not thinking of as well. Salvador? Mustard? I'm not counting guys like Blaze and Keith cause they were gone before this invasion of the trolls started. My guess is most still check in occasionally but for the most part find the content uninspiring.

I wholeheartedly agree with the Bring Back Team Fighthype sentiment. I know I'd be there.
Hops
Maybe I'm wrong. But I think the old guards post quality stuff... A LOT! Perhaps even the old trolls livened up these boards with their comedic values.

Now, the influx of Floydiots made the old guards disappear. That even though you have a lot of new posts coming from new timers, you also have less posts from the old timers. Almost the same amount of traffic. Low quality threads. I can't even smile at some posts the way I used to when I first came here.

Problem with the Floydiots is that they don't fuckin' have their own website. Maybe, we can make FightHype their own.
Mean Mister Mustard
I'm still here, though I don't post quite as often. The Mayweather-Pacquiao fans don't bother me. I'm actually enjoying their little battle. Same old arguments are being spouted off by both sides, and all the while I sit back and enjoy the show. I remember the old Btalk boards were like this, filled with DLH and Trinidad fans going at it. I missed them for a while, but now they are back. As fruity as it sounds, you guys should be making lemonade out of lemons, same as I'm doing.
Maxy
It's too easy to get banned these days and some of the people who've gone haven't really warranted that type of treatment. It's like the fuckin' gestapo have moved in. Who are the mods these days anyway? CEO is on an extended break, JD has disappeared....where did Rivado go? Used to enjoy the predictions league. Titlebelt ain't around either, Meth ain't a mod no more. Who else we got...um...black, yeah he still posts but is he still a mod?

I ain't too fussed by all the lame ass arguments about the same ol' topics day in day out cos it's on pretty much every board out there anyway. I'd just like to see a little bit more variation from the new posters because right now it seems like if Floyd and Pac retired they'd have nothing to say. What I've missed the most is the British forum.....that's been gone years now but it was the most varied forum in this place when it existed. Oh well, I don't post much these days anyway, I've kinda moved on to football boards and general boards elsewhere.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Maxy @ Aug 19 2011, 06:21 PM) *
It's too easy to get banned these days and some of the people who've gone haven't really warranted that type of treatment. It's like the fuckin' gestapo have moved in. Who are the mods these days anyway? CEO is on an extended break, JD has disappeared....where did Rivado go? Used to enjoy the predictions league. Titlebelt ain't around either, Meth ain't a mod no more. Who else we got...um...black, yeah he still posts but is he still a mod?

What moderating is done here? Even Jack is pretty much MIA these days.

For the record I have no problem with new members. I have a problem when some new members purely post on a certain subject or the subjects surrounding that first subject exclusively.
Maxy
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 19 2011, 03:46 AM) *
What moderating is done here? Even Jack is pretty much MIA these days.

For the record I have no problem with new members. I have a problem when some new members purely post on a certain subject or the subjects surrounding that first subject exclusively.

Same here and that was my 2nd point as it goes. I don't reckon too much modding is needed tbh but sometimes I reckon fellas have been banned when it wasn't necessary. They've been wound up and eventually when they respond in an underhand manner they get kicked out. In their place are a bunch who only talk about one subject. I can't even be arsed to make a new thread cos I know it might get 2 or 3 replies and when I next visit the board I'll be confronted with the same ol' trash that dominates shit, not just here, but everywhere.
Imperius3
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 18 2011, 02:19 PM) *
i'm new to this board...but have noticed a trend on all boards. the "good ol' days" seems to be a hot topic that comes up from time to time. i get it. ppl like to recall good times but i think u have to take action in creating new ones. there will always be plenty to talk about in boxing. also, alienating/belittling posters will always lead to driving ppl away who might actually add to conversation. there's no need to shit on a guy because he happens to have a different point of view or is less informed. this place can use more traffic, but i think if we keep the conversations respectful more ppl will be inclined to participate.

I agree. We don't need any trolls in here, but we also don't need any elitists either.

Also, what was up with that Team Fighthype crap? I never requested to 'join it' because I didn't really understand or care for it, but what kind of topics needed to be kept private? Seemed kind of silly.
Maxy
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ Aug 19 2011, 05:10 AM) *
I agree. We don't need any trolls in here, but we also don't need any elitists either.

Also, what was up with that Team Fighthype crap? I never requested to 'join it' because I didn't really understand or care for it, but what kind of topics needed to be kept private? Seemed kind of silly.

It fizzled out because nothing happened in there and even when topics were being discussed it was certainly nothing that needed to be kept private.

As for elitists I don't think there are any and I also don't think that is the point anyone is making either. I never look at post counts as a gauge of how good such and such a poster is. Doesn't matter shit if you've got 22,000 posts or 22 posts. Everyone likes to have a debate here but when its the same old song and dance routine month after month it gets tiresome.
Snoop
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 18 2011, 11:29 AM) *
I don't know if they've even old old guard but I would like to see Keith and Blaze around. Man, Blaze would've schooled some of these Floydiots with his knowledge.

At least Jonny's trainer still pops in laugh.gif

And where has Snoop been hiding lately?

Hiding out in Spain. Miss the board though. Be back in a couple of weeks.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Snoop @ Aug 19 2011, 01:54 PM) *
Hiding out in Spain. Miss the board though. Be back in a couple of weeks.

Lucky bastard. Try the tapas.
Snoop
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Aug 19 2011, 02:05 PM) *
Lucky bastard. Try the tapas.

You bet I am. I lived here 5 years ago and I love this country. Good to be back.
rusty_trombone
Damn, CEO don't post anymore. That dude was my bro, he was an official hater. He could haterize the shit out of someone. To be honest, boxing got boring, the story lines are like pro wrestling, and I realized what a jokebthe whole business is. Thats why I stopped posting, plus I got busy. I do miss ragging on caveman and Eugene about the canes though. Caveman, you are one crazy son of a bitch. And the Aussie contingent was always funny as fuck on here.
Seek
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 18 2011, 03:05 AM) *

Havn't seen them post for a while. Maybe they are on vacation or somethin. By the way, when is Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao fighting?
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 18 2011, 09:05 AM) *

As long as you and Fitz are on here, bro, I ain;t going anywhere else!!!

It'd be nice to have some of the old guys back, but some of the newer guys more than make up for it.

Beardo, Alban, 88 and some other guys are putting quality work in, and the newbie fan boys are entertaining, if for the wrong reasons!

Black
BGv2.0
It's not that people are gone...it's the sport.

If you recall just a few weeks ago for the Haye/Wlad fight....this board was jumping again for about a 2 week period, with EVERYBODY and then some putting in their two cents on a huge fight....

The problem is...there are MAJOR lulls between "HUGE" fights.....even the lower teir, yet still significant fights often are anti-clamatic or get called off...

the latest being Ghost and Maidana...that was a decent match-up, not worthy of PBF/Pac standards, but still a significant bout....now we may as well compare dick sizes because that fight's been called off!

It's the sport that is causing even die hards to not have too much of an interest.

I'll bet all the older posters do the same thing I do...I'll check the front page about 2 times per week and if there is something worthy of talking about I'll weigh in....but here of late...there has been very little.

PBF's fight is a a little ways off. I'm sure it will pick up a bit for the Vitali/Adamek fight...BUT...just until it turns out to be ANOTHER BORING Klit win...then it will stagnate again.

This is why I argue with those that claim "champs" like the Klits and PBF are anything other than horrible for the sport. Sure they have talent, sure they get the win...but when it's done in boring fashion (the excpetion being PBF's last scrap with Shane)...even die hard fans get VERY, VERY F'N bored with them.

Then you have spectacular guys like Gatti and Diaz that have passed away or retired....they may not have had the most talent, but they provided excitment. A lot of the younger guys coming up practive a saftey first stance and are not willing to lay it all on the line....this can be seen fromt he smaller division all the way up to HW....now you can argue as fans and spectators if that's a good or bad stand to have as far as health issues and whatnot....but as far as fans interest...once again...you have a guy like Zab Judah quit instead of going out on his shield...again...anti-clamatic...not worth discussing.

Between the lack of desire on fighter's parts....which often includes lack of conditioning, greed taking presidence over fights, ugly/dirty refs and judges, anti-climatic endings, boring champions, fights not taking place, too many PPVs...

well...there's just not a lot to discuss...for sure if you came from those older generations that saw excellent eras first hand.

That's why it really erks me to have to defend myself when people try to argue that this current HW division is "decent" or "not all that bad"......that's a younger fans argument...because if you had lived thru the 80's-90....you could never type that with a straight face.

The same can be said for the lighter divisions as well....although I do give them credit for not being AS BAD as the HW divison. That being said, they are still not the era of SRL and Herns and Hagler etc.

WHEN...or more to the point...IF boxing on the whole gets "better"....everything will get better from message boards to fan interest....

It's the sport....not the fan.

King Eugene
I like Team Fighthype because Hype use to come in there and give us the inside scoop and off the record stuff nobody else really knew about or reported. With his following Mayweather, I know he would have had some stuff to put in there that was cut out.

Also guys that actually knew fighters first hand would come in there and give us the word on something that is going on or what to look out for in the near future. Thing is it was so spaced out between post folks kind of just forgot about it.

I also liked the welcome to Team Fighthype thread when we voted on new members. It was quite a bit in there that I enjoyed.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I'll be around...Just don't post much cause I still have a couple classes to finish, need to study for the CPA exam, and I'm working. All that fun stuff in life, but this board is still top notch imo.
thehype
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 19 2011, 10:03 AM) *
Pissing and moaning, as usual.

laugh.gif
Jack 1000
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Aug 19 2011, 03:42 PM) *
It's not that people are gone...it's the sport.

If you recall just a few weeks ago for the Haye/Wlad fight....this board was jumping again for about a 2 week period, with EVERYBODY and then some putting in their two cents on a huge fight....

The problem is...there are MAJOR lulls between "HUGE" fights.....even the lower teir, yet still significant fights often are anti-clamatic or get called off...

the latest being Ghost and Maidana...that was a decent match-up, not worthy of PBF/Pac standards, but still a significant bout....now we may as well compare dick sizes because that fight's been called off!

It's the sport that is causing even die hards to not have too much of an interest.

I'll bet all the older posters do the same thing I do...I'll check the front page about 2 times per week and if there is something worthy of talking about I'll weigh in....but here of late...there has been very little.

PBF's fight is a a little ways off. I'm sure it will pick up a bit for the Vitali/Adamek fight...BUT...just until it turns out to be ANOTHER BORING Klit win...then it will stagnate again.

This is why I argue with those that claim "champs" like the Klits and PBF are anything other than horrible for the sport. Sure they have talent, sure they get the win...but when it's done in boring fashion (the excpetion being PBF's last scrap with Shane)...even die hard fans get VERY, VERY F'N bored with them.

Then you have spectacular guys like Gatti and Diaz that have passed away or retired....they may not have had the most talent, but they provided excitment. A lot of the younger guys coming up practive a saftey first stance and are not willing to lay it all on the line....this can be seen fromt he smaller division all the way up to HW....now you can argue as fans and spectators if that's a good or bad stand to have as far as health issues and whatnot....but as far as fans interest...once again...you have a guy like Zab Judah quit instead of going out on his shield...again...anti-clamatic...not worth discussing.

Between the lack of desire on fighter's parts....which often includes lack of conditioning, greed taking presidence over fights, ugly/dirty refs and judges, anti-climatic endings, boring champions, fights not taking place, too many PPVs...

well...there's just not a lot to discuss...for sure if you came from those older generations that saw excellent eras first hand.

That's why it really erks me to have to defend myself when people try to argue that this current HW division is "decent" or "not all that bad"......that's a younger fans argument...because if you had lived thru the 80's-90....you could never type that with a straight face.

The same can be said for the lighter divisions as well....although I do give them credit for not being AS BAD as the HW divison. That being said, they are still not the era of SRL and Herns and Hagler etc.

WHEN...or more to the point...IF boxing on the whole gets "better"....everything will get better from message boards to fan interest....

It's the sport....not the fan.

Thanks! This is exactly what I feel!

The problem is there is nothing in the sport to talk about anymore other than the occasional Mayweather-Pacquiao tidbits, and several of the recent fights and issues have been so disappointing, such as Klitschko-Haye. To be honest, the officiating in Mares-Agbeko left such a bitter taste in my mouth about the sport that it just won't go away. It like a bad dream from which you can't escape, and countless fights that have not lived up to the hype, and what there has been to talk about has been negative and controversial.

No one has done anything wrong. The problem is the only big thing in the sport is Mayweather-Pacquaio "take the test." stuff. You know the good thing about the shitty ref in Mares-Agbeko? For several days, we had conversation on this board that was NOT about Mayweather-Pacquiao. It was a breath of fresh air. However, now that the rematch has been mandated before December 14th, even everything that's had to be said about the controversy has been said. Unless new evidence comes out about the fight.

Magazines that used to cover boxing have gone under or have reduced their publications to almost nothing. The Internet took over from the printed medium, but you still have to have things in boxing to talk about. Keep in mind that it may take as little as ONE big event in boxing to get the board going again. Boxing's in a lull. There have been lulls throughout boxing history. Joe Louis' "Bum of The Month" club. Ali's exile from about 1968-1970 after Foley to before Quarry. A couple of mediocre heavyweights in the mid 80's, like some of the alphabet champions between the Holmes era and the Tyson era that could bore people to death, (i.e Bonecrusher Smith, Tony Tubbs, Greg Page.) In fact, the heavyweight division has reached that pile of shit today. maybe worse. It's totally the sport and a disenfranchised interest in the sport.

Announcers are aging, fighters are aging, judges are aging, and the vested interest in young people has moved to an MMA platform. People are reducing their Premium channel services, or cutting cable and TV vendors altogether and just going with OTA (over-the air) with an antenna, because of inflation and the economy. It's not just our forum, it's every boxing forum, every TV network, every publication for boxing, the interest is no longer there, because there's NOTHING INTERESTING happening in boxing at this point in time.

It is impossible to please everybody. Ben was happy to draw new traffic to the forum with the influx of Mayweather-Pacquiao posters and posts. I had no problem with that. I was upset that many of our long-time members are no longer around anymore. And maybe it is a real challenge, Striking a balance between the classic old members who made this place legendary, but giving some insight to the new members as well. Maybe their scope of boxing was/is limited to Mayweather-Pacquaio, and they might have not been accustomed to some of our forum expectations.

In my judgment, no one did anything to cause this lull in boxing concerning anything on the forum. It's the sport and the industry itself that right now is in the shitter. All we can do is wait and hope that the next big thing in the world of boxing, wthatever that may be, gets the interest going again. I second the argument, the problem is not the forums, it's the current state of the sport itself.

Jack

Administrator
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 19 2011, 07:35 PM) *
Thanks! This is exactly what I feel!

The problem is there is nothing in the sport to talk about anymore other than the occasional Mayweather-Pacquiao tidbits, and several of the recent fights and issues have been so disappointing, such as Klitschko-Haye. To be honest, the officiating in Mares-Agbeko left such a bitter taste in my mouth about the sport that it just won't go away. It like a bad dream from which you can't escape, and countless fights that have not lived up to the hype, and what there has been to talk about has been negative and controversial.

No one has done anything wrong. The problem is the only big thing in the sport is Mayweather-Pacquaio "take the test." stuff. You know the good thing about the shitty ref in Mares-Agbeko? For several days, we had conversation on this board that was NOT about Mayweather-Pacquiao. It was a breath of fresh air. However, now that the rematch has been mandated before December 14th, even everything that's had to be said about the controversy has been said. Unless new evidence comes out about the fight.

Magazines that used to cover boxing have gone under or have reduced their publications to almost nothing. The Internet took over from the printed medium, but you still have to have things in boxing to talk about. Keep in mind that it may take as little as ONE big event in boxing to get the board going again. Boxing's in a lull. There have been lulls throughout boxing history. Joe Louis' "Bum of The Month" club. Ali's exile from about 1968-1970 after Foley to before Quarry. A couple of mediocre heavyweights in the mid 80's, like some of the alphabet champions between the Holmes era and the Tyson era that could bore people to death, (i.e Bonecrusher Smith, Tony Tubbs, Greg Page.) In fact, the heavyweight division has reached that pile of shit today. maybe worse. It's totally the sport and a disenfranchised interest in the sport.

Announcers are aging, fighters are aging, judges are aging, and the vested interest in young people has moved to an MMA platform. People are reducing their Premium channel services, or cutting cable and TV vendors altogether and just going with OTA (over-the air) with an antenna, because of inflation and the economy. It's not just our forum, it's every boxing forum, every TV network, every publication for boxing, the interest is no longer there, because there's NOTHING INTERESTING happening in boxing at this point in time.

It is impossible to please everybody. Ben was happy to draw new traffic to the forum with the influx of Mayweather-Pacquiao posters and posts. I had no problem with that. I was upset that many of our long-time members are no longer around anymore. And maybe it is a real challenge, Striking a balance between the classic old members who made this place legendary, but giving some insight to the new members as well. Maybe their scope of boxing was/is limited to Mayweather-Pacquaio, and they might have not been accustomed to some of our forum expectations.

In my judgment, no one did anything to cause this lull in boxing concerning anything on the forum. It's the sport and the industry itself that right now is in the shitter. All we can do is wait and hope that the next big thing in the world of boxing, wthatever that may be, gets the interest going again. I second the argument, the problem is not the forums, it's the current state of the sport itself.

Jack

Administrator

Can't argue with that, Jack.
Hops
So let's ask the old guards. Oops! Some of them have already spoken. Probably 6/8 has something to say about the chaos in this board brought upon by the influx of Floydiots. The Pactards seemed to be back in their homebase, but the Floydiots are still here.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Hops @ Aug 20 2011, 01:08 AM) *
So let's ask the old guards. Oops! Some of them have already spoken. Probably 6/8 has something to say about the chaos in this board brought upon by the influx of Floydiots. The Pactards seemed to be back in their homebase, but the Floydiots are still here.

This board was never really full of Pactards to be honest. Only really Torvix but he more than made up for it, haha. There are Pac fans on the forum like myself, but there are things he has done that I'm not overly happy with. I wish he hadn't asked Cotto for those 2 pounds and just smashed him at fully fledged WW and I wish he hadn't fought Mosley, that was junk.

The Floydiots though are in a whole other league. At times their stupidity honestly takes my breath away. It has been a grind in the last few months no doubt but you'd have to think that it can't last forever and this too will pass....................

As I've discussed with Lloyd both publicly and privately the best thing to do is openly boycott their pissy threads and I'm sure in classic Lord of the Flys tradition they will soon end up turning on each other.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.