Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: With UFC (MMA) now on FOX, what does that say about boxing?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
thehype
UFC PARTNERSHIP WITH FOX INCLUDES 4 EVENTS AND LIVE TUF BROADCASTS WITH VIEWER PARTICIPATION

As expected, UFC President Dana White, along with UFC executive and part owner Lorenzo Fertitta, FOX Sports Media Group Chairman and CEO David Hill, Co-President and COO Eric Shanks, and FX President John Landgraf all made the announcement offical that the UFC and Fox have agreed to a partnership. The deal includes 4 major event broadcasts on FOX, 32 events on FX, as well as 2 LIVE runs of The Ultimate Fighter that will feature audience participation, allowing viewers to select the fights each week. "This is revolutionary television right here," remarked Dana White.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content10561.html

Let's hear everyone's thoughts. The FOX execs took a couple jabs at boxing...basically saying it's too boring and behind on the times when it comes to marketing. I think it says a lot that a sport that's perceived to be more "barbaric" than the Sweet Science by most non-fans can make it's way back to network television (for the second time mind you) relatively easy. Comments? Questions? Suggestions?

For the record, I think it's going to be very interesting to see the new LIVE format of TUF (The Ultimate Fighter), where viewers get to vote on the matchups before they happen that week.
gravytrain
i think the promoters are 100% responsible for boxing continuing to lose ground to MMA. and as long as people like DLH and Arum are making their money they just sit back and smile without caring about anything.
caneman
How about make boxing big on The Wild World of Sports again? My Daddy told me years ago it was going all PPV and I know your Daddy says fuck my Daddy ! lmao
MoneyMay
Whose headlining that UFC card? Cause if it ain't Brock lesnar it's not going to compete with pac
Hotsauce
boxing is dead?
sduck
I think if boxing were to change it style, like generally be more tournament-like, like bracket line-ups and whatnot, it'd draw much more attraction.
King Eugene
Believe it or not I've saw a lot of free boxing on TV besides Friday Night Fights. Golden Boy and Top Rank show cards on Fox Sports Net. Not the best of fighters but they have some damn good prospects on there like Jessie Vargas, Gomez, and Mikey Garcia. Fights come on, of course not mainstream basic cable if that makes any sense but you just have to find them.
Romulus9
NBC televises figure skating and gymnastics on Saturday afternoons. You're telling me that a title fight wouldn't easily trump those ratings?

It was only 1997 when Hopkins defended his belt against Glen Johnson on CBS! You've got too many people in television who live and die by a Nielsen ratings system that frankly hasn't been accurate or relevant in a long, long time. When your average viewer has, what, 150 channels available to them in addition to streaming media all over the place, the Nielsen numbers that would have been dreadful when there were only 30 or fewer channels around are now pretty successful. They can't figure it out. Why should they? They get paid anyway. As long as millions of people keep tuning in to mind-numbing "reality" TV, nothing is going to change.

Frankly, there are fights on PPV that need to me main events on HBO or Showtime (if that), HBO main events that should be undercards or ESPN2/Network main events, and main events on ESPN2, etc., that should be co-features. I still can't get over Jones-Hopkins II being a $50 PPV fight because that's what Jones wanted. With those two 'names' getting into the ring, I have to think that would do pretty well on ABC or NBC or CBS on a Saturday afternoon in June, as opposed to gymnastics, figure skating, or another God forsaken golf tournament.
zucrates
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 18 2011, 08:51 PM) *
Believe it or not I've saw a lot of free boxing on TV besides Friday Night Fights. Golden Boy and Top Rank show cards on Fox Sports Net. Not the best of fighters but they have some damn good prospects on there like Jessie Vargas, Gomez, and Mikey Garcia. Fights come on, of course not mainstream basic cable if that makes any sense but you just have to find them.

Yeah I catch those fights on Sats when there is not a Premium Cable fights on or i'll record them on the dvr
I've caught some scraps and funny Kos too
zucrates
QUOTE (zucrates @ Aug 18 2011, 10:07 PM) *
Yeah I catch those fights on Sats when there is not a Premium Cable fights on or i'll record them on the dvr
I've caught some scraps and funny Kos too

To be on topic though its good it's enough money out there for everyone to eat who knows the future could be a major boxing match and a major mma fight on the same card in a stadium or something dntknw.gif
mrchitown
I think it is just another big, blinking sign ahead that boxing needs to inject some newer, fresher, and more unique ways to get it's product out there. Getting back on a Fox or CBS or ABC is definitely a plus in the long run for boxing. And the promoters should set-up tournament style fights to crown "undisputed" champs in each division. It's so many belts floating around boxing that you can't take the organization or the fighters seriously sometimes
lloyd mayflower
Because of the nature of the UFC (run by White), it only pulls in one direction, which allows momentum to build.

That cant happen in boxing. Boxing has stood still during the rise of MMA and took no action to maintain competition. With Dana now coming up with fresh ideas like audience votes etc, MMA could get another shot in the arm.

UFC is young and aggresive and probably on roids.
Boxing is sitting in an armchair smelling of piss and pipesmoke talking about the good old days
gravytrain
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Aug 18 2011, 10:29 PM) *
Because of the nature of the UFC (run by White), it only pulls in one direction, which allows momentum to build.

That cant happen in boxing. Boxing has stood still during the rise of MMA and took no action to maintain competition. With Dana now coming up with fresh ideas like audience votes etc, MMA could get another shot in the arm.

Boxing is sitting in an armchair smelling of piss and pipesmoke talking about the good old days

i wouldn't go that far. boxing is just a group of people trying to make as much money as possible. all they care about is site fees, PPV money or both. one guy is trying to make his organization as much money as possible and the others are trying to make themselves money. both of them do a pretty good job at achieving their goals, the boxing promoters just don't care about the growth of the sport.

lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 19 2011, 04:25 AM) *
i wouldn't go that far. boxing is just a group of people trying to make as much money as possible. all they care about is site fees, PPV money or both. one guy is trying to make his organization as much money as possible and the others are trying to make themselves money. both of them do a pretty good job at achieving their goals, the boxing promoters just don't care about the growth of the sport.

Yeah, what im saying tho is that as long as that is happening boxing cant grow in the manner that UFC can
gravytrain
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Aug 18 2011, 11:34 PM) *
Yeah, what im saying tho is that as long as that is happening boxing cant grow in the manner that UFC can

i don't think anything will change to be honest. there might be a guy that comes along that brings a lot of attention to boxing but GBP or Arum will just milk him for everything he's worth. i think we'll see some growth in boxing but it'll just go into the pocket of the PPV star and his promoter.

lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 19 2011, 04:43 AM) *
i don't think anything will change to be honest. there might be a guy that comes along that brings a lot of attention to boxing but GBP or Arum will just milk him for everything he's worth. i think we'll see some growth in boxing but it'll just go into the pocket of the PPV star and his promoter.

I agree with you, im confident nothing will change. And as far as the whole boxing v MMA thing goes, that is a problem for boxing and makes the UFC look like the much more dynamic progressive and fan friendly sport.
Run and Gun Game Calls
To me it shows that the promoters have no vision.

Boxing would be so easy to save if we had more exposure for our amateur program. It builds national hype for athletes as they transition over to the pros, and get more kids exposed to the sport at an early age
Warlord
Boxing has too many problems to solve and there is no quick-fix solution. You could put professional boxing on prime time tomorrow and it would still bomb, because there are too many divergent interests going on for it to work. You'd rarely, if ever, get any big name fighters to actually fight each other because they're too busy being infantile little pricks (Gayweather and Pacroid).

I mean, seriously, do you want to have Mayweather beating up another past-it bum, only to shit out the following lines:

Generic mic holder: "Great job tonight, champ. It looked like you were in complete control tonight. Can you give us your thoughts?"

Generic Gayweather: "I just want to give a shout out to my kids, Chenanay and Boo Boo, daddy loves you. And of course a shout out to my wife, the lovely Ms. Jackson. Daddy's coming home."

Generic mic holder: "Floyd, whose next?"

Generic Gayweather: "I don't know. I'ma hafta sit down with my team, you know what I'm sayin? Talk with my team, and see what's up. If it makes dollars it makes sense, know what I'm sayin?"

Generic mic holder: "Do you want Pacquiao, Floyd?"

Generic Gayweather: "It don't even matter. If he wanna take da tests... take tha damn tests! 41 have tried, 41 have failed!"

Generic mic holder: "Floyd... what are you feeling right now?"

Generic Gayweather: "Boxing needs Money May, Money May don't need boxing. Mayweather may fight again, he may not. You know, Money May gonna sit down with his family and see what's next. But I'm definitely taking the next year off."

And you get the rest. Seriously, do you think that shit will really fly on prime time? Boxing has a TON of shit it needs to get right before we can even begin to fathom taking it to prime time. Namely, a legitimate fighter's union, and a legitimate commission that can oversee the sport, instead of a mish-mash of ignorant, selfish promoters, cable networks, and ABC belt orgs.

and the NEW
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Aug 19 2011, 02:29 AM) *

Exactly. But it is the roids in the UFC (MMA) that are going to stop the sport from ever becoming mainstream.

QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Aug 19 2011, 06:37 AM) *
To me it shows that the promoters have no vision.

Boxing would be so easy to save if we had more exposure for our amateur program. It builds national hype for athletes as they transition over to the pros, and get more kids exposed to the sport at an early age

This would be a HUGE benefit for boxing. Even a reality series following the national trials and the guys into the Olympics! Unfortunately, you would need to have these guys going to the Olympics signed beforehand by a promotor for anybody to want to put the money into it.

Boxing needs two major things:

1) 1 belt, make it 'the ring'. No 'sanctioning fees', I mean come on, WTF are guys paying to hold a belt for and we need one champion per division.
2) Promotors need to work together. GBP reached out to Arum (from rehab) and Arum needs to swallow his pride. If these ego maniacs could work together, they could really make things happen. That or someone needs to back a promotional company to buy out the other, so it can be like the UFC with one major promotion who runs the show.

BoxingStill#1
Be
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 18 2011, 04:09 PM) *
Let's hear everyone's thoughts. The FOX execs took a couple jabs at boxing...basically saying it's too boring and behind on the times when it comes to marketing. I think it says a lot that a sport that's perceived to be more "barbaric" than the Sweet Science by most non-fans can make it's way back to network television (for the second time mind you) relatively easy. Comments? Questions? Suggestions?

For the record, I think it's going to be very interesting to see the new LIVE format of TUF (The Ultimate Fighter), where viewers get to vote on the matchups before they happen that week.

I think this is going to double UFC marketability....

Do you know the time slots? And between what programs...

UFC has stolen the general public from boxing, this is only going to make matters worse..

What can I say, the shit is entertaining to watch!... but I still don't respect it as a SPORT....
ROLL DEEP
The thing that bugs me about the boxing world is how they're too stubborn to think that they need to do anything?

There general outlook is 'MMA, huh? Pffft, that's just a bunch of gays rolling on the floor. It'll NEVER be as big as boxing. Boxing is the greatest. We don't need to change one thing as we're the premier combat sport. We don't need to do anything. Boxing has been around for 100's of years and MMA is still in nappies. Why should we change?'.

The boxing world is stuck up it's arse so much that it thinks it doesn't need to change. Keep doing it and it'll keep dying.

UFC...whether you like it or not, is doing the right thing. It'll keep getting bigger and bigger whilst boxing will keep dying down.
Hotsauce
boxing has a lot of problems.

for some reason, they don't want to change.
ks1
C'mon now, let's not get carried away. Moving from Spike to Fox is a good thing for the UFC and should give it a bump but, as someone said earlier, "big network" TV is hardly the be and end all it once was. Also, all this talk of "prime time" is misleading. Network TV primetime is from 8-11pm EST Mon-Sun. The only shot UFC has to be on primtime is late Sat., or maybe Fri., which are by far the lowest rated primetime periods.

Dana White has done a brilliant job of copying every business tactic and promotional idea/stunt of Vince McMahon's WWE right dwon to the roids scandals but, even with the "shiny new toy" effect going for it, UFC luster's has started to dim a bit because most of the guys with crossover potential are either out, almost done or done. The real test of the UFC will come when the fighters start demanding more control of the careers and more money.

Yes as we all know in true Chicken Little fashion boxing has been dying!!! for some time now but while its problems are obvious and, to a large degree, fixable, its strengths are very underrated. So while the move to Fox is good for UFC, I don't think it means all that much for boxing because I don't think it's a zero sum game.
blackbelt2003
Look, we all know boxing needs a make over.

But it's not in the way you'd think. We don't need tournament formats, we don't need votes, we don't need to dumb down boxing for the MMA fans, we don't need to make it all rock music and "Way cool, dude!" like MMA has.

What boxing needs is to embrace what it does well, not try and be something it's not.

Boxing needs to get back in touch with it's history, it's roots and try and take it BACK not forwards.

To do that it needs significant attitude changes at the top level. Boxing as seen by the public is linked to it's biggest names, and when the biggest names, Floyd and Pac, are basically acting like a couple of prima donna bitches, of COURSE people are gonna tune in to MMA, where the guys lose as much as they win because they all take tough fights.

When boxing was at it most popular, the fighters fought often, they fought tough, and they were interested in fighting more than being businessmen. If they could just do that, then boxing wouldn't need all the hype, the razmatazz, the rock music and the flashy advertising MMA has received.

Black
gravytrain
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Aug 19 2011, 02:17 PM) *
Look, we all know boxing needs a make over.

But it's not in the way you'd think. We don't need tournament formats, we don't need votes, we don't need to dumb down boxing for the MMA fans, we don't need to make it all rock music and "Way cool, dude!" like MMA has.

What boxing needs is to embrace what it does well, not try and be something it's not.

Boxing needs to get back in touch with it's history, it's roots and try and take it BACK not forwards.

To do that it needs significant attitude changes at the top level. Boxing as seen by the public is linked to it's biggest names, and when the biggest names, Floyd and Pac, are basically acting like a couple of prima donna bitches, of COURSE people are gonna tune in to MMA, where the guys lose as much as they win because they all take tough fights.

When boxing was at it most popular, the fighters fought often, they fought tough, and they were interested in fighting more than being businessmen. If they could just do that, then boxing wouldn't need all the hype, the razmatazz, the rock music and the flashy advertising MMA has received.

Black

i think everything that made boxing interesting is pretty far gone. the fighters are lazy and don't want to prove anything because promoters are just trying to make hype jobs they can sell to HBO, there's no personality. PPV fighters take insignificant fights 99% of the time and promoters do nothing to try to change how a fight is marketed. if there's one good thing to come from the Mayweather and Pac bullshit it's that it forced HBO to step it up to compete with Showtime's offer and will now put shows on different channels to get fights more exposure.

checkleft
QUOTE (ks1 @ Aug 19 2011, 12:59 PM) *
C'mon now, let's not get carried away. Moving from Spike to Fox is a good thing for the UFC and should give it a bump but, as someone said earlier, "big network" TV is hardly the be and end all it once was. Also, all this talk of "prime time" is misleading. Network TV primetime is from 8-11pm EST Mon-Sun. The only shot UFC has to be on primtime is late Sat., or maybe Fri., which are by far the lowest rated primetime periods.

Dana White has done a brilliant job of copying every business tactic and promotional idea/stunt of Vince McMahon's WWE right dwon to the roids scandals but, even with the "shiny new toy" effect going for it, UFC luster's has started to dim a bit because most of the guys with crossover potential are either out, almost done or done. The real test of the UFC will come when the fighters start demanding more control of the careers and more money.

Yes as we all know in true Chicken Little fashion boxing has been dying!!! for some time now but while its problems are obvious and, to a large degree, fixable, its strengths are very underrated. So while the move to Fox is good for UFC, I don't think it means all that much for boxing because I don't think it's a zero sum game.

I agree with some of your points.

My opinion is that the ufc really can't compete with boxing when it comes to ppv, not even close. This is a smart move for the ufc to keep up with boxing. Because I don't think that boxing is behind the ufc by any means, if anything the ufc is still significantly behind. This will definitely help them though by bringing it to the masses.
But the biggest difference that I see between the two sports is that the ufc has incredible respect for its athletes while boxing analysts announcers promoters shit on boxings athletes and this continues through the fans. I think that's what truly is hurting boxing.
gravytrain
how is the UFC behind boxing? they put on like 12 PPVs a year and their average buy rate keeps rising. now it's getting fights on free TV and this shit has really only been relevant for like 8 years. i might not really care for MMA very much but it's just naive to think they've to catch up with boxing. there's no telling what kind of progress the UFC can have over the next decade but we all know where boxing will be and that's HBO PPV 2-3 times a year.
checkleft
Yes boxing is going bad and I could he wrong but the way I see it as a someone that's into marketing is that Dana badly wants the kind of money boxing pulls in, that's why he is doing all of this free programming on local and cable networks. From a marketing point of view it makes perfect sense, but they are behind. They are catching up to boxing though, and it doesn't help that boxing is going backwards.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (ks1 @ Aug 19 2011, 01:59 PM) *

That's a good point about the UFC not really having a lot of mainstream stars at the moment. Back in 05, when the UFC really started to gain momentum, people liked it because they had Chuck Lidell knocking guys out left and right. The average Joe loves knockouts and the people jumped aboard. Some new fans were made but a lot of other people got tired of it because they didn't like the grappling aspect of it. I wonder if MMA has hit a dead end as far as its popularity is concerned.

EAlbian
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 19 2011, 05:47 PM) *
That's a good point about the UFC not really having a lot of mainstream stars at the moment. Back in 05, when the UFC really started to gain momentum, people liked it because they had Chuck Lidell knocking guys out left and right. The average Joe loves knockouts and the people jumped aboard. Some new fans were made but a lot of other people got tired of it because they didn't like the grappling aspect of it. I wonder if MMA has hit a dead end as far as its popularity is concerned.

I think the sport has evolved, you can no longer dominate with just one style of fighting. The new hybrid fighters(Jon Jones/Jose Aldo/St Pierre/Anderson Silva) will continue to dominate. If you haven't seen Jose Aldo I suggest you invest 5mins in youtube. He is a true beast
daprofessor
With UFC (MMA) now on FOX, what does that say about boxing?

absolutely nothing.

they are two different sports with totally different demographics. the only thing they have in common is that they are combat sports.

i've never really been a fan of mma/ufc. i tried to watch but i can't. it bores me. don't get me wrong...i respect the sport and it's combatants...i just can't bring myself to watch it.

with that being said....ufc is one organization....headed in one direction. to compare it to all of boxing is ridiculous. boxing is international. there are fights being televised world wide several times a week. stadiums in the uk and germany are filled when guys like the klitschkos fight. boxing is probably the biggest it's ever been in history right now. it's just not in the mainstream the way it once was i suppose. i believe we've been riding a pretty good wave the last few years as far as fights go. promoters do need to step it up....and there is plenty that needs improvement in boxing. i'll take boxing with all of its' flaws any day over ufc.

*sidenote- there seems to be this competition between ufc/mma and boxing....moreso from the ufc/mma side. i hear these guys talk smack about boxing on the regular. why give them a free ride on a boxing website? i come to boxing websites to read/discuss/debate boxing, a sport i love...not ufc/mma a sport i have absolutely no interest in.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 19 2011, 09:16 PM) *
With UFC (MMA) now on FOX, what does that say about boxing?

absolutely nothing.

they are two different sports with totally different demographics. the only thing they have in common is that they are combat sports.

i've never really been a fan of mma/ufc. i tried to watch but i can't. it bores me. don't get me wrong...i respect the sport and it's combatants...i just can't bring myself to watch it.

with that being said....ufc is one organization....headed in one direction. to compare it to all of boxing is ridiculous. boxing is international. there are fights being televised world wide several times a week. stadiums in the uk and germany are filled when guys like the klitschkos fight. boxing is probably the biggest it's ever been in history right now. it's just not in the mainstream the way it once was i suppose. i believe we've been riding a pretty good wave the last few years as far as fights go. promoters do need to step it up....and there is plenty that needs improvement in boxing. i'll take boxing with all of its' flaws any day over ufc.

*sidenote- there seems to be this competition between ufc/mma and boxing....moreso from the ufc/mma side. i hear these guys talk smack about boxing on the regular. why give them a free ride on a boxing website? i come to boxing websites to read/discuss/debate boxing, a sport i love...not ufc/mma a sport i have absolutely no interest in.

I agree with you here. I've tried to give it a good go and like you totally respect the skills and heart needed to compete but it just does nothing for me. I'd rather watch tennis, seriously.

Dana White and everyone in the UFC has/is doing a fantastic for their sport and it would not be a new comment to say boxing promoters should take note. Just the their use of the internet alone (I"m thinking of Toney/Couture) to build buzz for a fight. So simple but boxing totally seems to miss these kind of opportunities.

However it remains to be seen how MMA will fare once another stronger organisation comes along to challenge UFC and it will happen eventually. That and the fighters themselves starting to ask for a bigger slice of the cake. The challenges that boxing has and is facing are yet to really hit MMA (as much as I can see) and it will be interesting to see how they cope.

Would I be right in thinking that UFC can get decent fights on FOX because the purses of the fighters are smaller? my assumption being that boxing now has so many PPV's so they can accomodate the purse demands of the fighters involved. If not then once again they have beaten boxing to the punch (pun intended) on the opportunity to broaden the fanbase for their sport.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Aug 19 2011, 06:51 PM) *
I think the sport has evolved, you can no longer dominate with just one style of fighting. The new hybrid fighters(Jon Jones/Jose Aldo/St Pierre/Anderson Silva) will continue to dominate. If you haven't seen Jose Aldo I suggest you invest 5mins in youtube. He is a true beast

The MMA fighters of today are definitely better, but that's not my point. The point is that as it stands right now, none of the champions in the UFC are as famous as Lidell, Ortiz or Couture were back in 05. Maybe that will change in the coming months though.
gravytrain
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 19 2011, 09:44 PM) *
I agree with you here. I've tried to give it a good go and like you totally respect the skills and heart needed to compete but it just does nothing for me. I'd rather watch tennis, seriously.

Dana White and everyone in the UFC has/is doing a fantastic for their sport and it would not be a new comment to say boxing promoters should take note. Just the their use of the internet alone (I"m thinking of Toney/Couture) to build buzz for a fight. So simple but boxing totally seems to miss these kind of opportunities.

However it remains to be seen how MMA will fare once another stronger organisation comes along to challenge UFC and it will happen eventually. That and the fighters themselves starting to ask for a bigger slice of the cake. The challenges that boxing has and is facing are yet to really hit MMA (as much as I can see) and it will be interesting to see how they cope.

Would I be right in thinking that UFC can get decent fights on FOX because the purses of the fighters are smaller? my assumption being that boxing now has so many PPV's so they can accomodate the purse demands of the fighters involved. If not then once again they have beaten boxing to the punch (pun intended) on the opportunity to broaden the fanbase for their sport.

i don't think the UFC is the only thing where time will tell the future of it. boxing wont be irrelevant in November or even a decade from now but if the UFC continues to grow and boxing sits around doing nothing it's hard to expect boxing not to take a backseat to the UFC. that and Fox signed them to a multi-year deal so they've to have some plans for it, Fox isn't going to give them 100 million a year for nothing.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 19 2011, 01:43 AM) *
Boxing has too many problems to solve and there is no quick-fix solution. You could put professional boxing on prime time tomorrow and it would still bomb, because there are too many divergent interests going on for it to work. You'd rarely, if ever, get any big name fighters to actually fight each other because they're too busy being infantile little pricks (Gayweather and Pacroid).

I mean, seriously, do you want to have Mayweather beating up another past-it bum, only to shit out the following lines:

Generic mic holder: "Great job tonight, champ. It looked like you were in complete control tonight. Can you give us your thoughts?"

Generic Gayweather: "I just want to give a shout out to my kids, Chenanay and Boo Boo, daddy loves you. And of course a shout out to my wife, the lovely Ms. Jackson. Daddy's coming home."

Generic mic holder: "Floyd, whose next?"

Generic Gayweather: "I don't know. I'ma hafta sit down with my team, you know what I'm sayin? Talk with my team, and see what's up. If it makes dollars it makes sense, know what I'm sayin?"

Generic mic holder: "Do you want Pacquiao, Floyd?"

Generic Gayweather: "It don't even matter. If he wanna take da tests... take tha damn tests! 41 have tried, 41 have failed!"

Generic mic holder: "Floyd... what are you feeling right now?"

Generic Gayweather: "Boxing needs Money May, Money May don't need boxing. Mayweather may fight again, he may not. You know, Money May gonna sit down with his family and see what's next. But I'm definitely taking the next year off."

And you get the rest. Seriously, do you think that shit will really fly on prime time? Boxing has a TON of shit it needs to get right before we can even begin to fathom taking it to prime time. Namely, a legitimate fighter's union, and a legitimate commission that can oversee the sport, instead of a mish-mash of ignorant, selfish promoters, cable networks, and ABC belt orgs.

Agree with Warlord,

The only thing left are the Mayweather-Pacquiao tidbits, and neither of these boxers, regardless of whether they fight or not are going to be around much longer. I touched on some of boxing's problems in a post in the "Old Guard Thread." The problem is also that the promoter wants to keep all his fighters in house and often refuses to work with other promoters. This is why the big fights a lot of times don't happen.

And worse, the promoters for boxing, boxers, alphabet federation organizations, and over-priced, undeserving PPV's make so much mllions of dollars. that there is no incentive for the powers that be who run boxing to change anything. And if they don't want to change anything, you will never convice these young, largely uneducated kids about boxing, that it used to be a great sport. Boxing PPV's for example are going to have to start BOMBING consistently, for any promoter to even begin to THINK about bringing boxing back to commercial TV. People keep buying mediocre PPV's, everyone makes tons of money, so the promoter thinks, "Why Change?"

Jack
AussieLad
You gotta remember, ortiz, couture and lidell have been around in the UFC since very early on. It takes time and a fair bit of chance (right personality, fighting style, match ups) to develop stars. I am glad that the UFC can get around the old stars moving on simply by continuing to put on the best available fights with quality match making. Eventually someone will emerge from the mix as a star to fill the void, its just a matter of time.
PColeman28
the way i look at is this fox deal is just like a counter to ESPN friday night fights...i get to watch boxing for free for X amount of weeks every friday it's the same for this ufc fox deal to me....unless i see the big stars fighting on this network like ortiz, evens, silva...then to me it won't be much of a difference than espn's friday night fights....rising stars will be put on the network i'm sure we'll get entertaining fights out of it, but it's just a way to promote the sport more...I love fighting so i'll watch both sports anyways...
Eighty88Eight
UFC is on the ascendency if it turns out great ratings on FOX. Boxing is on the slippery slope towards irrelevancy if some young guys don't come up and kick ass soon. There should be two good sizable match ups a month in the sport + a number of quality match ups between lesser fighters and prospects. Simply not enough exciting talent in boxing to sustain itself.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 21 2011, 05:01 PM) *
UFC is on the ascendency if it turns out great ratings on FOX. Boxing is on the slippery slope towards irrelevancy if some young guys don't come up and kick ass soon. There should be two good sizable match ups a month in the sport + a number of quality match ups between lesser fighters and prospects. Simply not enough exciting talent in boxing to sustain itself.

People always say the same thing, but there is always a stream of new fighters coming in and taking over the reins. When PBF and Pacquiao retire, it's not going to end boxing. Fans aren't going to walk away.
wolterb
QUOTE (checkleft @ Aug 19 2011, 03:35 PM) *
But the biggest difference that I see between the two sports is that the ufc has incredible respect for its athletes while boxing analysts announcers promoters shit on boxings athletes and this continues through the fans. I think that's what truly is hurting boxing.

if it does not hurt boxing it is retarded. on this message board there are always posts filled with hyperbole that, more than critique, belittle fighters. everyone has standards, but goddamn...some people on here act like if the fight does not end with a beheading of one of the fighters than the match is a total sign of the times. hindsight is always 2020 and who knows how this era of boxing will be remembered...i do know that none of the rhetoric contemporary fans use in describing its fighters will be used, though. i don't know any other sport where the fans demand more from the participants than boxing.

"vlad won again" "yeah but it was boring!"
well go fuck yourself.
Eighty88Eight
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 21 2011, 09:10 PM) *
People always say the same thing, but there is always a stream of new fighters coming in and taking over the reins. When PBF and Pacquiao retire, it's not going to end boxing. Fans aren't going to walk away.

Well, that isn't true. When Pac and Mayweather go away those viewers aren't necessarily absorbed by another fighter. Boxing is still contracting, which means many fans are becoming casual fans, who are, in turn, becoming former fans. The silliest notion by some people in boxing is that boxing is going to perpetually chug along in its current state. It can get worse.
Eighty88Eight
QUOTE (wolterb @ Aug 22 2011, 10:15 AM) *
if it does not hurt boxing it is retarded. on this message board there are always posts filled with hyperbole that, more than critique, belittle fighters. everyone has standards, but goddamn...some people on here act like if the fight does not end with a beheading of one of the fighters than the match is a total sign of the times. hindsight is always 2020 and who knows how this era of boxing will be remembered...i do know that none of the rhetoric contemporary fans use in describing its fighters will be used, though. i don't know any other sport where the fans demand more from the participants than boxing.

"vlad won again" "yeah but it was boring!"
well go fuck yourself.

It's part of sports. Criticizing the participants has been a part of the game since the Roman Olympics. Grow a pair.
and the NEW
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 22 2011, 06:29 PM) *
It's part of sports. Criticizing the participants has been a part of the game since the Roman Olympics. Grow a pair.

Don't you mean the Greek olympics? ha ha.

and the NEW
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 20 2011, 03:08 AM) *
The MMA fighters of today are definitely better, but that's not my point. The point is that as it stands right now, none of the champions in the UFC are as famous as Lidell, Ortiz or Couture were back in 05. Maybe that will change in the coming months though.

Brock Lesnar and GSP, by pure statistics are more famous than any of those guys you mentioned. They both do HUGE PPV numbers in comparison to those guys.
Mean Mister Mustard
I knew Brock did huge numbers but I wasn't aware that GSP did as well. I remember reading an article saying that when GSP fought in Toronto, there was a lot of anticipation in Canada but not nearly as enough in the U.S. The point is that MMA is still a niche sport, same as boxing.

And boxing fans are savvy enough and addicted enough to the sport that they won't be going away anytime soon. Yes boxing can get worse, but if it does, then the promoters are out of business as well, and since they are the problem right now, if they are threatened, then they can easily become the solution.
Eighty88Eight
QUOTE (and the NEW @ Aug 22 2011, 10:42 PM) *
Don't you mean the Greek olympics? ha ha.

those too.
Eighty88Eight
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 22 2011, 11:54 PM) *
I knew Brock did huge numbers but I wasn't aware that GSP did as well. I remember reading an article saying that when GSP fought in Toronto, there was a lot of anticipation in Canada but not nearly as enough in the U.S. The point is that MMA is still a niche sport, same as boxing.

And boxing fans are savvy enough and addicted enough to the sport that they won't be going away anytime soon. Yes boxing can get worse, but if it does, then the promoters are out of business as well, and since they are the problem right now, if they are threatened, then they can easily become the solution.

If boxing fans are savvy, they're not going to be fooled by some over-hyped media creation that a promoter is shoving down everyone's throat. The talent has to be there. Nonito Donaire is the future of boxing, I think, but he's not that young, and he's too preoccupied with moving up weight classes and being like Manny Pacquiao. Martinez is gonna get old before he gets big, and Gamboa isn't that good. You gotta think Pacquiao and Mayweather are going to fight next year. Could be a nice final coda for the sport instead of the "revival" that people will describe it as.
wolterb
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 22 2011, 01:29 PM) *

lol fair enuf

"maximus victorious again!" "but what a bore it was"
go sword yourself.
wolterb
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 23 2011, 08:20 AM) *
those too.

every fan criticizes the athletes i get it, i do too
seems like in boxing we have higher expectations...thats alright, not tryin to step on neones toes just stating

speakin of ancient spectacles why can't we get a decent indoor naval battle organized in this damn country of ours??
Col Reb
Boxing needs to follow the UFC marketing blueprint. Dana White knows how to get it done. If we were back on network tv, it would solve so many problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.