Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Povetkin 21(15)-0 v Chagaev 27(17)-1(1)-1
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
SmartyBeardo
Don't get me wrong, this should be a tough and entertaining heavyweight scrap. I just don't see much purpose in it for either fighter. I suppose this is a stepping stone fight for both. One steps up and one steps down.

It seems to me that Povetkin is waiting for The Siamese Klit to retire or become vulnerable. This fight does not prepare him for a run at them. This is like a minor league baseball game - a credible fight between two 2nd tier, undersized heavies. i suppose the winner might be matched v Helenius (if he gets by Liakhovich on the same card).

I suppose I just discovered the answer to my own question.

What do you think?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 24 2011, 10:50 PM) *
Don't get me wrong, this should be a tough and entertaining heavyweight scrap. I just don't see much purpose in it for either fighter. I suppose this is a stepping stone fight for both. One steps up and one steps down.

It seems to me that Povetkin is waiting for The Siamese Klit to retire or become vulnerable. This fight does not prepare him for a run at them. This is like a minor league baseball game - a credible fight between two 2nd tier, undersized heavies. i suppose the winner might be matched v Helenius (if he gets by Liakhovich on the same card).

I suppose I just discovered the answer to my own question.

What do you think?

fighting helenius would be a step in the right direction for povetkin to get ready for a klit fight... forget the opponent but my last viewing of povetkin had him looking like shit from what i recall... i dont think povetkin has loked anything like a threat since atlas took over as his trainer... just my opinion...
Romulus9
I lean toward the fact that it's a bigger deal for Povetkin, and the division, than it is for Chagaev.

As horribly inactive as he's been, this is a big fight for Povetkin. It's even bigger considering that, even though we know exactly what we're getting with Chagaev, it could mean a win over a former belt holder (I refuse to write 'champion' on principle alone) and a guy that is still ranked. A loss is destructive for Povetkin but is it REALLY that big of a deal for Chagaev? All a win for him would do is knock Povetkin off the list of real challengers to the two-headed Klitschko monster at the top of the division.

If Povetkin impresses, he could very well be best in line. If Chagaev wins, Povetkin isn't next in line but neither is Chagaev. We've already seen ten rounds of beatdown there and I don't need anymore.

I have nothing, NOTHING, against the Klitschkos. They act with class, they stay in shape, they train, they win. Much respect. We need a big moment. We didn't get the big moment on July 2, apparently due to the Broken Pinky Toe of Doom. An Adamek win on September 10 could be monumental. Adamek will fight, he'll make it entertaining, and he'll dodge no one.

Helenius would be a nice matchup for Povetkin, pending a win over Chagaev, and that could clear things up a bit. At the very least, I'm hoping this is at least an entertaining scrap. A Povetkin win is better for the sport so that's what I'm hoping for.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 25 2011, 08:05 AM) *
Adamek definitely has a legit chance to out point Klit the Elder. That would be huge. The Povetkins of the world would have hope if it happened.

My only problem with The Siamese Klit is that they rule that way. OTOH, The Siamese Klit is unique history happening before our eyes. I actually like the droll bastards but I would like an upset even more.

man i wish i could agree with you but i just dont see adamek being competitive at all... i think if grant had more life in him he could have got adamek out of there in their fight... just something about adamek im not liking at heavy... we shall see in a few... lol..
STEVENSKI
This is a very good high quality heavyweight fight between two quite evenly matched opponents. People need to appreciate fights for what they are not what they will potentially do in the future.

I may or may not watch this dependant on streams & what football is on but these type of fights are a good thing. These cats should be credited with at least facing each other instead of a parade of scrubs to earn a mandatory.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 25 2011, 08:32 AM) *
This is a very good high quality heavyweight fight between two quite evenly matched opponents. People need to appreciate fights for what they are not what they will potentially do in the future.

I may or may not watch this dependant on streams & what football is on but these type of fights are a good thing. These cats should be credited with at least facing each other instead of a parade of scrubs to earn a mandatory.

UGH!!!...Man....it is bad when a person can actually consider this a "good high quality HW fight"....

Due to styles....you may as well watch a blank screen and imagine what you would like to happen....because I can almost bet you any imginary situation you come up with will be more exciting than this matchup.

It's going to be a boring snooze fest that does little for the winner.

I think Povitkin wins a boring but close UD or SD......no KDs....

Basic boring HW crap we've had for several years now.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Aug 26 2011, 02:49 AM) *
UGH!!!...Man....it is bad when a person can actually consider this a "good high quality HW fight"....

A fight between two legit contenders is a good thing. The high quality aspect is relative to what state the division is in at the moment. As it happens this is a high quality heavyweight fight that would have been a poor one 10 years ago.
JLUVBABY
i havent seen too much of povetkin but he looks a little on the heavy side to me... chagaev looks to be in good shape... if chagaev has anything left we will find out just how much of the truth povetkin really is... personally i havent liked the way povetkin has looked since he got with atlas...
jimmygootz
http://www.boxinginsider.com/headlines/ale...4_5007147152493

3 week training camp for biggest fight of Povetkin's career? Atlas placing blame before the fight starts? I can't believe this guy is really walking into the ring with 3 weeks under his belt. Crazy.

If I was a betting man, I think this is an easy choice. Luckily, when Povetkin loses, Atlas can wash his hands of this ridiculous situation.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (jimmygootz @ Aug 28 2011, 07:34 AM) *
http://www.boxinginsider.com/headlines/ale...4_5007147152493

3 week training camp for biggest fight of Povetkin's career? Atlas placing blame before the fight starts? I can't believe this guy is really walking into the ring with 3 weeks under his belt. Crazy.

If I was a betting man, I think this is an easy choice. Luckily, when Povetkin loses, Atlas can wash his hands of this ridiculous situation.

So I see Povetkin won. I guess Atlas will be taking the "look what I did in 3 weeks credit" haha. Good for them though.

More interestingly Helenius knocked out Liakhovich. That means he's now done Brewster, Peter and the White Wolf. That dude sounds like no joke. He and Mansour (misspelling?) would be a good tear up.
gravytrain
i think the wedding i went to was probably better than Povetkin's fight. i can't wait until Wlad crushes him and shuts Atlas up.
SmartyBeardo
Anybody actually see it?
Romulus9
Waiting to download a DVD so I can watch it along with the Helenius/Liakhovich fight.
BGv2.0
You can take my advice above. BUT...now that you know Povetkin won, just make him the winner in your imginary situation. Please DO NOT actually sit and try to watch this crap....I know I stopped years ago.

On a related note....this Nordic Nightmare dude is starting to have a decent list of named KOs on his resume....Brewster, Levin, Peter and now Lyochovitch....not bad.

I'm sure it could be argued that ALL of those guys were pretty well shot when they got in the ring with the guy...but he is at the very least getting them out of there by KO.

I've not seen any of these fights...but the one thing that does bother me is that it looks like he is getting stoppages late...around 8/9....and he's tall like the Klits...6'6....

Has anybody seen this guy fight? Is this guy nothing more than a Klit Klone?

Jab...Jab...overhand right?

If so thanks but no thanks...I've already caught that show for the last 10 years and I'm ready for it to END!
gravytrain
i don't mind his fights but he looks pretty raw. and i really don't care if all he's is a jab and right hand, he takes guys out. i think he can have a good fight with one of the Klits in the future.

i wonder where this puts Povetkin in terms of fighting a Klit. is he going to fight them or wait more? i think he'll pull a Haye and hold off until he can get a better deal.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 28 2011, 11:51 AM) *
i don't mind his fights but he looks pretty raw. and i really don't care if all he's is a jab and right hand, he takes guys out. i think he can have a good fight with one of the Klits in the future.

i wonder where this puts Povetkin in terms of fighting a Klit. is he going to fight them or wait more? i think he'll pull a Haye and hold off until he can get a better deal.

Povetkin v Helenius makes sense to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.