Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Preview and Discussion of Mayweather-Ortiz Undercard
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
A pretty good card considering the crap we have been getting. Easy to call the winners I think. However, the losers might do a little better than expected.

Vargas vs. Lopez: Vargas by decision. Lopez may have his moments, but if rounds are close, the "O' record of Vargas will be taken into consideration by the judges.

Morales vs. Matthysse: Morales by Split and perhaps controversial decision. Lucas just can't get a break, and with the WBC bending over backwards to get Erik another title, I think Matthysee almost needs a KO to win. I think the best thing that Matthysse gets out of this fight on the cards is a draw. (And in reality, Lucas should have won by about 9-3.) Another negative is that in his fighting style, sometimes he is not busy enough.

Alvarez vs. Gomez: Mismatch and beat down Alvarez TKO 7

Jack
EAlbian
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 25 2011, 03:33 PM) *
A pretty good card considering the crap we have been getting. Easy to call the winners I think. However, the losers might do a little better than expected.

Vargas vs. Lopez: Vargas by decision. Lopez may have his moments, but if rounds are close, the "O' record of Vargas will be taken into consideration by the judges.

Morales vs. Matthysse: Morales by Split and perhaps controversial decision. Lucas just can't get a break, and with the WBC bending over backwards to get Erik another title, I think Matthysee almost needs a KO to win. I think the best thing that Matthysse gets out of this fight on the cards is a draw. (And in reality, Lucas should have won by about 9-3.) Another negative is that in his fighting style, sometimes he is not busy enough.

Alvarez vs. Gomez: Mismatch and beat down Alvarez TKO 7

Jack

I like Vargas by KO, the kid is talented and has real power. I think he gives Lopez opportunities but catches him.

Mathyesse by KO rd 6, too much for Morales at this stage. Does it with body work

Alvarez by savage beating in 10rds
lloyd mayflower
Dont know much about Vargas, but il stick my neck out and say that both Matthyse and Alvarez will win by KO
Eighty88Eight
i just hope all the favorites lose by devastating first round knockout. since matthyse and morales is a toss up, i hope they knock each other out in an exchange and both get a loss.
Eighty88Eight
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 25 2011, 10:40 PM) *
Its that time of month, eh?

Vargas UD

Matthysse TKO 8

Alvarez UD

do you think matthyse is better than maidana?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 26 2011, 02:40 PM) *
Its that time of month, eh?

Vargas UD

Matthysse TKO 8

Alvarez UD

I like these except I might swap Alvarez for the KO and Matthysse for the UD.
Cshel86
Vargas by close decision or late stoppage: Josesito throws decent combinations and he's also an exceptional body puncher. Though these are factors in the fight, Im sure Mayweather wouldn't put Vargas in there with somebody that he couldn't run all over, especially on a big PPV card like this dntknw.gif

Matthysse by 8th round TKO or Morales by close decision: This fight is still a toss-up, depending upon the pace. If Morales boxes all night (which is not likely to happen ALL night), then his exchanges with Matthysse will be limited. If he chooses to brawl all night, then it may be a short night. Matthysse always starts slow against boxers or quick opponents, so there's always that possibility of him losing those first 4-5 rounds, inflict damage in the middle rounds, and leaving the last two rounds in the air for anybody to grab...thats how he always loses. Since this is somewhat of a last minute opponent for Morales, Im sure he is going to play it smart, since Khan and a rematch with Maidana was already in his Hello Kitty planner.

Alvarez (stoppage or UD) or Gomez by TKO: Alvarez is supposed to win this fight according to what the boxing world says, but that isn't necessarily the gospel either. Like I said in another thread pertaining to this bout, Gomez and the rest of us know that this is his last shot at the big stage...at least for another long while. At this point, he has nothing to lose and Im sure that he will go for broke to make a statement. He knows what a beatdown feels like, but Alvarez doesn't. All it takes is one punch to change the trajectory of this fight.

Mayweather by UD: If all else fails, Mayweather will make sure this fight ends in a UD. For some reason, I believe he's gonna try to stop Ortiz, or maybe he's implying a stoppage for promotional purposes. Ortiz has the first 3 or 4 rounds to fuck the night up for Mayweather, if not, Ortiz will be up against faints and straight rights all night.
Eighty88Eight
i don't know vargas, so i can't say

Mathysse by UD

Alvarez by KO

and after seeing Ortiz-Berto again, I say Mayweather possibly by KO.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 26 2011, 02:56 PM) *
i don't know vargas, so i can't say

Mathysse by UD

Alvarez by KO

and after seeing Ortiz-Berto again, I say Mayweather possibly by KO.

Did you see my post earlier? Let's not forget how Matthysse screws himself. He isn't busy enough in those first 4-5 rounds, then he puts in work in the middle rounds, only to leave the last couple of rounds in the air for anybody to walk away with. This bout is being sanctioned by the WBC (who happens to show Mexican fighters favortism), and the well-known Mexican fighter is supposed to win on Mexican Independence weekend. Matthysse by TKO, or another robbery is progress as we speak.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 26 2011, 08:41 PM) *
Did you see my post earlier? Let's not forget how Matthysse screws himself. He isn't busy enough in those first 4-5 rounds, then he puts in work in the middle rounds, only to leave the last couple of rounds in the air for anybody to walk away with. This bout is being sanctioned by the WBC (who happens to show Mexican fighters favoritism), and the well-known Mexican fighter is supposed to win on Mexican Independence weekend. Matthysse by TKO, or another robbery is progress as we speak.

+1

And really surprised that others don't see it this way:

1.) Mexican Independence Day

2.) A Golden Boy Promotion that makes big $$$ off of the Mexican/Hispanic Community

3.) The WBC going out of their way in catering to Morales by giving him this shot in the first place. Yes, this is better Barrios, but the writing's on the wall,

4.) Lucus not busy enough and shooting himself in the foot by fighting that way.

5.) This has Dalby Shirley and Gale Van Hoy type judging written all over it. The third judge will probably be fair. But all you need is the majority going a certain way. UNLESS with the recent terrible decisions in recent fights and the stench of Russell Mora's officiating in Mares-Agbeko, you might think that the scales might bend somewhat towards justice. Just not enough. Issues 1-3 overpower all else.

Jack
gravytrain
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 27 2011, 12:39 AM) *
+1

And really surprised that others don't see it this way:

1.) Mexican Independence Day

2.) A Golden Boy Promotion that makes big $$$ off of the Mexican/Hispanic Community

3.) The WBC going out of their way in catering to Morales by giving him this shot in the first place. Yes, this is better Barrios, but the writing's on the wall,

4.) Lucus not busy enough and shooting himself in the foot by fighting that way.

5.) This has Dalby Shirley and Gale Van Hoy type judging written all over it. The third judge will probably be fair. But all you need is the majority going a certain way. UNLESS with the recent terrible decisions in recent fights and the stench of Russell Mora's officiating in Mares-Agbeko, you might think that the scales might bend somewhat towards justice. Just not enough. Issues 1-3 overpower all else.

Jack

NSAC said Mora would get experience reffing undercard fights. maybe Morales vs Matthysse is one of the undercard fights lol.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 26 2011, 11:58 PM) *
NSAC said Mora would get experience reffing undercard fights. maybe Morales vs Matthysse is one of the undercard fights lol.

LOL!!! RUSSELL MORA WORKING THE MORALES-MATHYSSEE FIGHT! LOL!

Warning number 1: "Erik, come on now, you gotta stop hitting him low like that."

Waning number 20: "Come on now Erik, get them up now."

Warning number 50: "Now, look Erik, I don't wanna take a point away!"

Lucus hits Erik low in retaliation: "Ok, that's one point off here." Keep em up."

Lucus spins Erik into the ropes: "Ok, you can't spin him like that, another point off."

Frustrated, Lucus pushes Erik into Mora. "Ok, that's it, a DQ" You can't push him like that.!"

Lucas screams "WTF!!!? I'm done with this boxing shit!!!"

Mora: "Hey, I warned you three times, I enforce the rules!"

LOL!

Jack
Eighty88Eight
i dont agree, if matthyse wins clearly, i don't think they will be that transparent about robbing him. morales may have an edge in a close fight
Big Slim Sweet
I don't know Vargas, but if he's Mayweather's protege and he's putting him on the undercard, I'm guessing they know what they're doing.

Vargas UD Lopez

Morales SD Matthysse (surprised to see the majority thinking so strongly otherwise)

Alvarez KO 5 Gomez (I really think Ginger Pubes shines in this one)

Mayweather UD Ortiz (cakewalk)
Seek
Vargas vs Lopez - Only seen Vargas fight once but he looks promising

Canelo TKO Gomez

I'm positive Morales wins decisively

Mayweather by TKO
Cshel86
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Aug 27 2011, 02:28 AM) *
I don't know Vargas, but if he's Mayweather's protege and he's putting him on the undercard, I'm guessing they know what they're doing.

Vargas UD Lopez

Morales SD Matthysse (surprised to see the majority thinking so strongly otherwise)

Alvarez KO 5 Gomez (I really think Ginger Pubes shines in this one)

Mayweather UD Ortiz (cakewalk)

Exactly!
Cshel86
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 27 2011, 01:55 AM) *
i dont agree, if matthyse wins clearly, i don't think they will be that transparent about robbing him. morales may have an edge in a close fight

I have to agree to disagree with ya on this one. Morales having the edge on a close fight is likely, but Matthysse clearly winning it just wont happen. He will have to KO Morales if he wants the victory. Maidana is waaay busier than Matthysse, thats why he wiggled his way past a possible robbery against Morales, though he went tooth-to-nail with him. Matthysse is always going to be one of those guys to get screwed out of a decisions...as we have witnessed as of late. Kinda reminds me of how they used to do Clottey...
Cshel86
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that if Gomez does get beat to submission, it will probably be by way of the white flag being waved...
sduck
Never seen Vargas or Lopez fight.

Matthysse will beat Morales if he doesn't get robbed again lol

Alvarez will beat Gomez. I'm saying that without seeing Gomez fight, but I usually expect Alvarez to win in dominating fashion. I want to see Alvarez fight someone who is very sharp with speed and power. All the people I've seen him fight recently lacked most of those things.

Mayweather will beat Ortiz easily. Ortiz has a shitty ass defense, swings wild, doesn't take punishment too well. Ortiz will start off strong but he'll eventually slow down and will look silly. It probably won't go the distance.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (sduck @ Aug 27 2011, 04:39 PM) *
Never seen Vargas or Lopez fight.

Matthysse will beat Morales if he doesn't get robbed again lol

Alvarez will beat Gomez. I'm saying that without seeing Gomez fight, but I usually expect Alvarez to win in dominating fashion. I want to see Alvarez fight someone who is very sharp with speed and power. All the people I've seen him fight recently lacked most of those things.

Mayweather will beat Ortiz easily. Ortiz has a shitty ass defense, swings wild, doesn't take punishment too well. Ortiz will start off strong but he'll eventually slow down and will look silly. It probably won't go the distance.

Alverez over Gomez.......easy.

Matthyse couldn't even get past a shop-worn Judah. Some say the wrong decision favoring Zab, but at least that fight was close. Morales still wins on the cards, or at the very LEAST, gets no worse than a draw. Lucas COULD stop him, but it's unlikely unless Erik has aged overnight. Was the Maidana fight a one fight wonder, classic war in Erik's comeback quest?

Jack

gravytrain
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 27 2011, 01:53 AM) *
LOL!!! RUSSELL MORA WORKING THE MORALES-MATHYSSEE FIGHT! LOL!

Warning number 1: "Erik, come on now, you gotta stop hitting him low like that."

Waning number 20: "Come on now Erik, get them up now."

Warning number 50: "Now, look Erik, I don't wanna take a point away!"

Lucus hits Erik low in retaliation: "Ok, that's one point off here." Keep em up."

Lucus spins Erik into the ropes: "Ok, you can't spin him like that, another point off."

Frustrated, Lucus pushes Erik into Mora. "Ok, that's it, a DQ" You can't push him like that.!"

Lucas screams "WTF!!!? I'm done with this boxing shit!!!"

Mora: "Hey, I warned you three times, I enforce the rules!"

LOL!

Jack

Schaefer "Mora did a fantastic job"
Jack 1000
Some bad news (according to Fightnews)

Lucas Matthysse has been forced to pull out of his fight with Erik Morales due to a viral infection. Story here:

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/morales-ma...cancelled-94787

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 8 2011, 08:20 PM) *
Some bad news (according to Fightnews)

Lucas Matthysse has been forced to pull out of his fight with Erik Morales due to a viral infection. Story here:

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/morales-ma...cancelled-94787

Jack

Man fuck boxing! This is the second fuck-up in under a month's time frame. Im through with Matthysse any damn way, to be honest. Damn I hope Maidana steps in and takes the fight. He is scheduled to fight some guy in Argentina on Sept. 16th, so hopefully they can make this rematch happen. Golden Boy needs to call Maidana and get his to The States asap, to avoid that jet lag and so forth. If not, then we will be forced to watch some bum end up taking the fight on short notice and get wiped put
Jack 1000
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 8 2011, 07:32 PM) *
Man fuck boxing! This is the second fuck-up in under a month's time frame. Im through with Matthysse any damn way, to be honest. Damn I hope Maidana steps in and takes the fight. He is scheduled to fight some guy in Argentina on Sept. 16th, so hopefully they can make this rematch happen. Golden Boy needs to call Maidana and get his to The States asap, to avoid that jet lag and so forth. If not, then we will be forced to watch some bum end up taking the fight on short notice and get wiped put

Exactly!

Hey Maidana wanna step in? GBP let's work this out to save this undercard!

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 8 2011, 09:09 PM) *
Exactly!

Hey Maidana wanna step in? GBP let's work this out to save this undercard!

Jack

Tell me about it! This undercard was really worth the wait and the money, and all of a sudden Matthysse gets "sick". I was actually looking forward to this fight more than the main event. This should've happened about two or three weeks ago, so the replacement could've had some time to prepare, instead of taking the fight on a 9 days notice. There is no other last-minute opponent I would rather see in there, other than Maidana. He's already trained up and ready to scrap, so his opponent in Argentina can take a seat and watch him fight somebody that the people know. Besides, how else would we ever see that fight in Argentina?
checkleft
That would probably be better than the mathysse morales fight.. I hope they make it happen. Cause even if morales wins he already was quoted saying he wouldn't unify the belts with Khan. But if maidana wins we get maidana Khan 2. So it would set up 2 rematches of very close exciting fights.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 9 2011, 01:13 AM) *
That would probably be better than the mathysse morales fight.. I hope they make it happen. Cause even if morales wins he already was quoted saying he wouldn't unify the belts with Khan. But if maidana wins we get maidana Khan 2. So it would set up 2 rematches of very close exciting fights.

GBP would have to move fast with money and promoting. It would be great if we could get something say, Monday night. Oscar and Richard, make it happen!!!!

Jack

PS. And yea, I thought Maidana squeaked out a decision against Khan in such a great fight! I would LOVE to see both these fights again!!!!
Big Slim Sweet
Maidana apparently already was offered the fight and turned it down to stay in Argentina.

I believe Matthysse is really sick. This was a great opportunity for him. No way he's lying.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Sep 9 2011, 02:44 PM) *
Maidana apparently already was offered the fight and turned it down to stay in Argentina.

I believe Matthysse is really sick. This was a great opportunity for him. No way he's lying.

Im pretty sure we will hear something by the end of this weekend (hopefully). Maidana was probably going to make a nice grip for the Guerrero fight, but of course it was called off. As we all know, money talks...so he may want to make up for the money he would've made against Guerrero, by rematching Morales on a huge PPV undercard. At this point, he is in shape to fight, and his opponent is obviously a last-minute bum, so this offer may not be a deal-breaker. All it takes is the right amount of money, and Im sure GBP will have his ass on a jet en route to the states by Sunday evening.

Im pretty sure Oscar and Shaeffer dont want to 'f' up this card by getting everybody excited about Morales/Matthysse, just to throw a bum in there at the last minute due to the circumstances. Besides, this PPV is going to put some nice money in GBP's pockets, so making an exciting last-minute adjustment to the card will only attract more last-minute PPV buyers. If they saw the first Morales/Maidana fight, and their only chance to see the rematch would be through ordering the Star Power card, then thats a few more guaranteed sales.
Cshel86
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Sep 10 2011, 07:32 AM) *
What's the Baby Faced Assassin doing next Saturday night?

Hahahahaha!!! That would be a good one...Im sure the Baby Faced Assassin is itching to screw up Morale's plans that he's jotted down in his Hello Kitty planner.
Jack 1000
Morales will now be fighting for the world championship against leading contender Cano. A rising superstar with KO power!

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/morales-ca...5098#more-95098

Jack
SmartyBeardo
Jessie Vargas 16(9)-0 v Josesito Lopez 29(17)-3 just might be the fight of the weekend. This is a significant step up for Vargas. Lopez is tough, throws in bunches and can take heat. He does hard work to the body, but that is also probably his biggest weakness from what I have gathered. He stopped another touted prospect in his last fight (Dallas).

Vargas is tough too. In ways these guys are a mirror image. Vargas has more skill but Lopez has been through more tough wars . . . and this is going to be a full on firefight.
Eighty88Eight
an ugly premonition tells me that this is going to be a disappointing night of boxing. I'm almost always wrong when I get those.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Sep 15 2011, 11:37 PM) *
an ugly premonition tells me that this is going to be a disappointing night of boxing. I'm almost always wrong when I get those.

I hope that you are wrong again, this time. I would hate for ANY of these fights to get stopped by way of a cut...or somebody quitting. Thanks to Ortiz's history, quitting is another game-blowing probability, along with an accidental cut.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.