Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chavez jr pulls out of fight.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
checkleft
http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=6897402

The "injury" sounds very fishy, and dibella is already calling him out on it. The "injury" was said to take place two weeks ago but dibella said he was sparring with marg as recent as two days ago.

Any thoughts.
mgrover
both fighters seem undeserving of that title. then again if chavez jr lost hearns might of fought martinez after....nah that's only in dream land.
gravytrain
i don't think there should be any question whether it's real or not. he definitely faked it. and the WBC will keep on playing favorites with him and Canelo
thehype
Before he pulled out (about 5 days ago), Alex Ariza told me that he just got done recovering from a hand injury that required stitches, so I assume the injury was legit. Now, whether or not he actually fully recovered from it and could have fought, I have no idea.
gravytrain
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 26 2011, 05:15 PM) *
Before he pulled out (about 5 days ago), Alex Ariza told me that he just got done recovering from a hand injury that required stitches, so I assume the injury was legit. Now, whether or not he actually fully recovered from it and could have fought, I have no idea.

do you think Arum being against the fight or Roach not being able to work with him influenced his decision the most?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Real or legit he shouldn't have put into a fight with 4 weeks notice. I'm no fan of the dude but that seems insane.
checkleft
It was only two stitches so it didn't sound huge. But only they know the severity, I do bet that arum had a lot to do with it though.
JLUVBABY
i was actually half assed looking forward to this fight... i thought it would have been a better than expected fight pitting two half talented fighters... lol... slight edge to chavez jr but then again chavez is no where near the level of sturm in my opinion so hearns had a shot...
Cshel86
If this fight wasn't going to be on the Star Power PPV card, then who was really going to watch it? I'm not a Chavez Jr. fan by a longshot, but I guess will have some type of interest in viewing it on the rescheduled date since it's still boxing. That fight was out together on short notice anyway.
jimmygootz
Senior is my favorite fighter of all-time, and it's so difficult for me to get behind this kid.

He shouldn't be on PPV, period. Ever. It's terrible for the sport. So this can only be a blessing. Hope he heals up and trains until his skill level increases...a lot.
JONdaCON817
we all saw this coming... no way he was gonna fight someone with a pulse or a fight the same time as May... thats a lose, lose, lose situation.
Cshel86
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Aug 27 2011, 03:42 PM) *
we all saw this coming... no way he was gonna fight someone with a pulse or a fight the same time as May... thats a lose, lose, lose situation.

You aint never lied. Like I said earlier, I may watch it on the rescheduled date when Im not distracted by bigger fight cards.
Jack 1000
Chavez Jr. would be huge money against a comebacking former champion:

Hatton
Delahoya
Trinidad

Jr. could add these names to his resume, but they would be too shot to pose a threat. Eactly what the WBC wants.

Jack
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 27 2011, 06:06 PM) *

Hatton
Delahoya
Trinidad

Jr. could add these names to his resume, but they would be too shot to pose a threat. Eactly what the WBC wants.

Jack

I think Cotto/Chavez Jr would be good.... it would make as a good gauge to see if Chavez is making any progress and actually gettin better with Ariza and Roach and to see if Cotto still has a pulse left.. it would sell.. it would add heat to the Mexico vs PR rivalry... and it would actually be some what entertaining fight. Cottos never in a boring fight and Chavez loves to be in your face eating punches.. with a heavy handed puncher like Cotto this could play out to be a blood bath.
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 27 2011, 02:45 PM) *
You aint never lied. Like I said earlier, I may watch it on the rescheduled date when Im not distracted by bigger fight cards.

Bro ide only watch it if someone told me Chavez got decapitated by Hearns in the ring. lol
gravytrain
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 27 2011, 07:06 PM) *

Hatton
Delahoya
Trinidad

Jack

i think DLH is the most likely to comeback but that would require a pretty good payday and a year or 2 to buildup the fight. i think he could comeback against Canelo in the future if Jr is out of the picture at 160. DLH could just stay busy against cans and have a miracle comeback then Canelo fights him for the title. that fight would be huge, i wouldn't expect less than 1.5 mil buys. Jerry Jones getting the fight would be unlikely but i think it could fill that place up with ease.

mgrover
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 28 2011, 12:06 AM) *

Hatton
Delahoya
Trinidad

Jack

Hatton on a comeback? this just speculation or any type of source?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 26 2011, 08:29 PM) *
If this fight wasn't going to be on the Star Power PPV card, then who was really going to watch it? I'm not a Chavez Jr. fan by a longshot, but I guess will have some type of interest in viewing it on the rescheduled date since it's still boxing. That fight was out together on short notice anyway.

that would be one of those b level fight card ppv's id order... lol... if its no boxing on ill order ppv fights in a heartbeat... ive actually got my moneys worth on a few of them... forget who it was on this site that used to laugh at some of the cards ive ordered... but if you wanna see certain fights or as in my case i got a fight collection you gotta pay the cost to be the boss... lol...
Jack 1000
QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 27 2011, 07:40 PM) *
Hatton on a comeback? this just speculation or any type of source?

Just speculation and example. Put it in the UK and get Mickey Vann as ref, and Hatton might win! hahahaha!

Jack
Jack 1000
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Aug 27 2011, 06:25 PM) *
I think Cotto/Chavez Jr would be good.... it would make as a good gauge to see if Chavez is making any progress and actually gettin better with Ariza and Roach and to see if Cotto still has a pulse left.. it would sell.. it would add heat to the Mexico vs PR rivalry... and it would actually be some what entertaining fight. Cottos never in a boring fight and Chavez loves to be in your face eating punches.. with a heavy handed puncher like Cotto this could play out to be a blood bath.

Cotto-Chavez Jr would be good. Economically HUGE! How much does Cotto have left, and could Chavez Jr. pass a test against someone who could be a threat? However, we may have to wait for that. Hearns I think is going to be out of the picture, and they are going for Manfredo in November. UGGHH!

Seriously, Jose Sulaiman is the only one behind Julio's kid. Jr. seems like a nice kid. He is going to almost have to fight guys that don't represent a threat, because any half-assed decent fighter is going to beat him. Maybe that opponent won't get the decision, but at least unofficially beat him. The WBC and Arum can only protect Julio Jr. for so long.

At least Chavez Jr. vs. Cotto would be war. And it's an interesting fight, despite ugly WBC politics giving Chavez Sergio Martinez's title in the first place.

Jack
gravytrain
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 27 2011, 11:45 PM) *
Cotto-Chavez Jr would be good. Economically HUGE! How much does Cotto have left, and could Chavez Jr. pass a test against someone who could be a threat? However, we may have to wait for that. Hearns I think is going to be out of the picture, and they are going for Manfredo in November. UGGHH!

Seriously, Jose Sulaiman is the only one behind Julio's kid. Jr. seems like a nice kid. He is going to almost have to fight guys that don't represent a threat, because any half-assed decent fighter is going to beat him. Maybe that opponent won't get the decision, but at least unofficially beat him. The WBC and Arum can only protect Julio Jr. for so long.

At least Chavez Jr. vs. Cotto would be war. And it's an interesting fight, despite ugly WBC politics giving Chavez Sergio Martinez's title in the first place.

Jack

i don't agree with you on the WBC, it's getting to the point where they can do everything but hand the fighter a title. their ratings are fucked up, they can give fighters soft mandatories, they can make champs vacate or strip them and then have their guy fight a bum for the vacant title and there's really nothing anyone can do about it.
Cshel86
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Aug 27 2011, 07:26 PM) *
Bro ide only watch it if someone told me Chavez got decapitated by Hearns in the ring. lol

laugh.gif Im over here laughing because thats the only way I would watch it past the first 3 or 4 rounds, is if somebody shot me that news. I watched Ward/Abraham last night, and I couldn't stand to watch it after round 3...had the volume down and had the laptop open watching another fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.