Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floyd's childhood isnt as bad as many make it out to be.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Deevel79
Floyd's upbringing was actually quite luxurious compared to other boxers. He and his fanboys should stop whining about how rough it was. Look at other fighters upbringings such as Miranda, Ouma, Ortiz, Pacquiao, etc.

When Floyd says that he was abandoned at 5yrs old or that his parents cooked his dog just so they had food to eat, or was forced to kill as a child soldier, then I'll feel sorry for him. His childhood was actually quite typical considering where he came from. I myself had it worse than Floyd growing up.

Floyd never even had to work a regular job a day in his life. He was supported by his grandmother, and spent his entire youth in a boxing gym.
Eighty88Eight
who cares? floyd is probably dominating the former child soldier as we speak.
mgrover
ive never heard him bring his childhood up. he does make a big statement of how he works hard but not his childhood. but i guess i havent seen enough
EAlbian
as bad as who makes it out to be? work a regular job? is that as difficult as boxing?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Deevel79 @ Aug 29 2011, 10:16 AM) *
Floyd's upbringing was actually quite luxurious compared to other boxers. He and his fanboys should stop whining about how rough it was. Look at other fighters upbringings such as Miranda, Ouma, Ortiz, Pacquiao, etc.

When Floyd says that he was abandoned at 5yrs old or that his parents cooked his dog just so they had food to eat, or was forced to kill as a child soldier, then I'll feel sorry for him. His childhood was actually quite typical considering where he came from. I myself had it worse than Floyd growing up.

Floyd never even had to work a regular job a day in his life. He was supported by his grandmother, and spent his entire youth in a boxing gym.

is anyone arguing that? i don't think so.

so u had it worse.....but are u in a better position than floyd now?
blackbelt2003
Take the tes'. All roads lead to Floyd Mayweather. Legacy don't pay bills. 41 have tried, 41 have failed.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

Black
Cshel86
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 29 2011, 12:37 PM) *
ive never heard him bring his childhood up. he does make a big statement of how he works hard but not his childhood. but i guess i havent seen enough

mgrover
what i havent lol am not joking on that one. only time ive heard him mention it is in that 24/7 video about being 17 or something.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 29 2011, 02:25 PM) *
what i havent lol am not joking on that one. only time ive heard him mention it is in that 24/7 video about being 17 or something.

This dude (Mayweather) repeats stuff until it gets stuck in everybody's head, whether you like him or not. You may have to check the Maywether/De La Hoya 24/7 and I have to find that video clip on youtube where he talks about it.
FinitoElDinamita
QUOTE (Deevel79 @ Aug 29 2011, 07:16 AM) *

You sound like a little queer. You can't walk a mile in FLoyd's shoes, son.. Just shut up about him.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (FinitoElDinamita @ Aug 29 2011, 06:50 PM) *
You sound like a little queer. You can't walk a mile in FLoyd's shoes, son.. Just shut up about him.

Just had the Ivy League on the blower, they want their arsehole back
mgrover
QUOTE (FinitoElDinamita @ Aug 29 2011, 07:50 PM) *

course he cant walk a mile in his shoes. there too damn small....
EAlbian
QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 29 2011, 04:24 PM) *
course he cant walk a mile in his shoes. there too damn small....

Is this a slight at his size or his accomplishments?? either way another quality post
JONdaCON817
i mean shyt His family was semi successful boxers and trainers.. cant be that bad, so his dad was a cracc head, all that means is you get to do whatever the fucc you want while yo daddy lays in bed cracced out.
mgrover
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Aug 29 2011, 10:28 PM) *
Is this a slight at his size or his accomplishments?? either way another quality post

not really a dig at mayweather, just at the metaphor i think it is and finito.
AussieLad
FLOYD

FLOYD FLOYD FLOYD FLOYD FLOYD FLOYD FLOYD FLOYD FLOYD FLOYD FLOYD

CrazyBuffalO
QUOTE (Deevel79 @ Aug 29 2011, 10:16 PM) *
Floyd's upbringing was actually quite luxurious compared to other boxers.

Which is all the more impressive. Because other kids growing up with this luxury would probably use their money relaxing and eventually end up nothing when they grow up (and I've seen many like that).

Floyd was not that kind of kid. He used whatever money he was provided with into good (training himself hard and etc...) and grew up to be a GREAT boxer.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (CrazyBuffalO @ Aug 31 2011, 11:25 PM) *
Which is all the more impressive.

Not really.
CrazyBuffalO
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 31 2011, 07:27 PM) *
Not really.

Well it impressed me all the more.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (CrazyBuffalO @ Aug 31 2011, 11:32 PM) *
Well it impressed me all the more.

You're obviously easily impressed.
CrazyBuffalO
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 31 2011, 08:48 PM) *
You're obviously easily impressed.

Not at all.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (CrazyBuffalO @ Aug 31 2011, 11:52 PM) *
Not at all.

If you think a kid who has grown up in comparative luxury and been trained in boxing from year dot is as impressive as one's who literally live on the streets, have no kind of formal boxing training, live in a poverty of the worst kind imaginable and in some cases even witness genocide then you are either one of two things.

Easily impressed OR a Floyd jizz drinker supreme. If it's the latter then welcome you should fit right in with the latest recruits laugh.gif
Eighty88Eight
It's impressive to become the best fighter in the world. I'm not sure ones upbringing makes one bit of difference as to future prospects in boxing. You just better have a hard heart.
thehype
I think it depends on your definition of childhood and what's bad.

Obviously, I don't think his childhood can be compared to someone who went through financial struggles, someone who got molested, or something like that.

If you wanted to draw a comparison to someone, I'd say his childhood was similar to Michael Jackson's childhood. He was a kid being groomed to be the greatest at one thing, therefore, exactly how much of a childhood did he really have? If you think about it, that really explains a lot.

On another note, speaking of someone who got molested, how much longer do you think it will be before Sugar Ray Leonard finally comes out of the closet?

dntknw.gif
jlupi
floyd is a grown man that acts like a teenage punk. Him glossy eyed over "fitty" was telling.
SmartyBeardo
I'm so tired of people blaming their childhoods as rationalizations for how fucked up they are. I don't know many people who had idyllic childhoods. Grow the fuck up and take responsibility for your life and decisions.
thehype
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 31 2011, 11:09 AM) *
I'm so tired of people blaming their childhoods as rationalizations for how fucked up they are. I don't know many people who had idyllic childhoods. Grow the fuck up and take responsibility for your life and decisions.

I don't know if anyone in boxing is blaming their childhood for anything...at least I don't recall anyone talking about their childhood...well...anyone other than Sugar Ray Leonard. That was just the TS bringing it up.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 31 2011, 08:22 AM) *
I don't know if anyone in boxing is blaming their childhood for anything...at least I don't recall anyone talking about their childhood...well...anyone other than Sugar Ray Leonard. That was just the TS bringing it up.

I was talking in general.
CrazyBuffalO
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 31 2011, 08:57 PM) *
If you think a kid who has grown up in comparative luxury and been trained in boxing from year dot is as impressive as one's who literally live on the streets, have no kind of formal boxing training, live in a poverty of the worst kind imaginable and in some cases even witness genocide then you are either one of two things.

Easily impressed OR a Floyd jizz drinker supreme. If it's the latter then welcome you should fit right in with the latest recruits laugh.gif

Those who lived in the streets, have had nothing but informal boxing training, grew up in extreme poverty has all the advantage of “motivation.”
They thirst for money, and so they have a lot in terms of motivation -- from a psychological standpoint that is. So it’s not so difficult for such people to “strive” in life. They wake up every morning motivated.

BUT for a kid who lived in comparative luxury, what is there to wake up for everyday, other than to breathe just for the sake of breathing? Obviously money wasn’t the issue. Life’s good and all. So there is immense disadvantage in terms of being motivated. And yet Floyd is the greatest of all in his profession.
You ask why he is so great. It’s all inborn. It’s IN HIM. Boxing is his second nature since birth. He’s the one truly doing it FOR THE SPORT. Not so he could get out of poverty (like Ortiz/Pacquiao…).
With guys like Ortiz or Pacquiao there is always the “hidden agenda” of wanting to box only to get out of poverty. It’s not for the sport anymore. These guys they don’t do it for the sport anymore.
But with Floyd you don’t get any hidden agenda like that. He’s always been honest that he loves luxury and earns his money from boxing. But he doesn’t have any hidden agenda of using the sport (or rather, TAKING ADVANTAGE of the sport and its fans) just so to get rich quick and escape from poverty.
Eighty88Eight
QUOTE (CrazyBuffalO @ Aug 31 2011, 12:04 PM) *
Those who lived in the streets, have had nothing but informal boxing training, grew up in extreme poverty has all the advantage of “motivation.”
They thirst for money, and so they have a lot in terms of motivation -- from a psychological standpoint that is. So it’s not so difficult for such people to “strive” in life. They wake up every morning motivated.

BUT for a kid who lived in comparative luxury, what is there to wake up for everyday, other than to breathe just for the sake of breathing? Obviously money wasn’t the issue. Life’s good and all. So there is immense disadvantage in terms of being motivated. And yet Floyd is the greatest of all in his profession.
You ask why he is so great. It’s all inborn. It’s IN HIM. Boxing is his second nature since birth. He’s the one truly doing it FOR THE SPORT. Not so he could get out of poverty (like Ortiz/Pacquiao…).
With guys like Ortiz or Pacquiao there is always the “hidden agenda” of wanting to box only to get out of poverty. It’s not for the sport anymore. These guys they don’t do it for the sport anymore.
But with Floyd you don’t get any hidden agenda like that. He’s always been honest that he loves luxury and earns his money from boxing. But he doesn’t have any hidden agenda of using the sport (or rather, TAKING ADVANTAGE of the sport and its fans) just so to get rich quick and escape from poverty.

nono.gif

what ridiculous generalizations. it's unhealthy to think in such stark contrasts.
scallum
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Aug 29 2011, 05:43 PM) *
i mean shyt His family was semi successful boxers and trainers.. cant be that bad, so his dad was a cracc head, all that means is you get to do whatever the fucc you want while yo daddy lays in bed cracced out.

Crackheads don't get sent to the feds for 3 n half years. If a guy does that type of Fed time usually means he was what we call in the hood a" baller". Crackheads usually get drug diversion n probation wit little actually jail time first few offenses. Sr getting 3 years of FED time means he was likely drug supplier to street drug dealers.He was likely buying what they call weight n got snitched on by one of the street dealers
Cshel86
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 31 2011, 11:09 AM) *

Thank you! I have that unique dislike towards the ones who use a "bad childhood" as a reason for not succeeding in life, but yet, they are still having fun (reproducing, smoking, drinking, drugs, etc) while simply "getting by" in life. Like you stated, people need to grow up and take responsibility for the decisions that they are "entitled" to make as an adult.
daprofessor
QUOTE (CrazyBuffalO @ Aug 31 2011, 12:04 PM) *

good well thought out post.

i'll just add...kids who come up in poverty deal with adversity daily. when u think of guys like duran, pac, ouma, miranda, the peterson brothers and ortiz...these guys had to struggle just to eat. more than likely they got into their daily scraps. fighting in the streets can be a very dangerous thing. to a kid fighting in the streets daily where u don't know what can happen or who's going to hit u with what...boxing can be fun because it's much more structured and it's one on one.

i don't think anyone in boxing is using their childhood as an excuse. if anything...they're using their childhood as motivation. for any kid who has gone thru hardships such as poverty, physical or mental abuse...abused kids become abused adults...hurt ppl hurt ppl. and if there is no one there to guide them or show them the right way...it's very rare for them to ever get things right or come out of those bad habits or ways. it's easy to dismiss ppl like this and say..."they need to grow up!" or "they need to take responsibility!" but how can u do or be something u've never had as an example? that's where trainers come in. many of these guys have taken kids off the streets and given them examples to live by. they've given them discipline and hope thru boxing. it can be a beautiful thing when it's done right.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 2 2011, 02:53 PM) *
good well thought out post.

i'll just add...kids who come up in poverty deal with adversity daily. when u think of guys like duran, pac, ouma, miranda, the peterson brothers and ortiz...these guys had to struggle just to eat. more than likely they got into their daily scraps. fighting in the streets can be a very dangerous thing. to a kid fighting in the streets daily where u don't know what can happen or who's going to hit u with what...boxing can be fun because it's much more structured and it's one on one.

i don't think anyone in boxing is using their childhood as an excuse. if anything...they're using their childhood as motivation. for any kid who has gone thru hardships such as poverty, physical or mental abuse...abused kids become abused adults...hurt ppl hurt ppl. and if there is no one there to guide them or show them the right way...it's very rare for them to ever get things right or come out of those bad habits or ways. it's easy to dismiss ppl like this and say..."they need to grow up!" or "they need to take responsibility!" but how can u do or be something u've never had as an example? that's where trainers come in. many of these guys have taken kids off the streets and given them examples to live by. they've given them discipline and hope thru boxing. it can be a beautiful thing when it's done right.

The bottom line is, ADULTS MAKE THE WORLD THAT CHILDREN LIVE IN. If Floyd had a bad childhood, then his parents are the blame for it. As far as I know, Sr. and Roger claimed to have had a bad childhood, and who's the blame for that? THEIR parents. Im sure Sr. and Roger's parents had a bad childhood also, and whose the blame for that?! What does this sound like? The blame game. Who has control of the outcome? The person complaining about their childhood. Moral of the story...grow up and take responsibility for your "adult" life, since you aren't a child that has to listen to an adult anymore. So, if your dad messed up your chidhood and he's "in your way" and you dont like it, then simply repeat, "Get the fuck up out my gym!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.