Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather Acknowledges "the few things he knows he doesnít do as well as he used to"
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Eighty88Eight
http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/...rs_age_cat.html

Floyd playing coy with whatever he's not quite as good at as he used to be. But he says it ain't his legs, "If I have to move on a guy, of course, thatís what Iím going to do. Of course, Iím not in the sport to take no abuse."

Not sure why the best boxing writers are Mayweather buttboys, but that seems to be the case.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 29 2011, 03:57 PM) *

Floyd playing coy with whatever he's not quite as good at as he used to be. But he says it ain't his legs, "If I have to move on a guy, of course, thatís what Iím going to do. Of course, Iím not in the sport to take no abuse."

Not sure why the best boxing writers are Mayweather buttboys, but that seems to be the case.

Thanks for the link. This is in no way meant to be disrespectful and while I wouldn't use the phrase "butt boys," but maybe it's because they understand the sweet science and all of the nuances that can be involved. Damn, I love boxing!
Eighty88Eight
it was used affectionately. ben thompson and david mayo are the bess
BoxingFan86
Based on what Floyd said, I think he has lost a step or 2 (due to age), but I don't know what it is. At this point, it's not obvious. Although the aforementioned may be true, I honestly believe it's Floyd's ring intelligence that carries him so far, not just his boxin' skills alone.
Eighty88Eight
he clearly isn't as fast as he used to be, but he is more precise, so the small difference in speed is probably neutralized. He says he won't be moving against Ortiz but I don't quite buy it. Ortiz isn't just gonna be standing there gesticulating like Mosley.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 29 2011, 05:06 PM) *
he clearly isn't as fast as he used to be, but he is more precise, so the small difference in speed is probably neutralized. He says he won't be moving against Ortiz but I don't quite buy it. Ortiz isn't just gonna be standing there gesticulating like Mosley.

His speed deteriorated? If so, is it defensively, offensively, or both? I've never noticed, but maybe I wasn't observin' well enough. Nice observation, though. I'll be checkin' on September 17th.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 29 2011, 05:06 PM) *

The minute he puts too much thought into what he's doing or what's going on...we will be blessed with front row seats to the "Safe Unanimous Decision" that Mayweather shoots for regardless no2.gif
EAlbian
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 29 2011, 04:28 PM) *
The minute he puts too much thought into what he's doing or what's going on...we will be blessed with front row seats to the "Safe Unanimous Decision" that Mayweather shoots for regardless no2.gif

I think we see a stoppage in this fight
AussieLad
FLOYD

FLOYD FLOYD FLOYD FLOYD FLOYD FLOYD FLOYD FLOYD FLOYD FLOYD FLOYD

JONdaCON817
Aussie i feel like i must commend you on your awesome sig....

and i dont mean the 2 fat chiccs fighting over a cupcake. lol
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 29 2011, 04:45 PM) *
it was used affectionately. ben thompson and david mayo are the bess

Got it.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Aug 29 2011, 05:11 PM) *
His speed deteriorated? If so, is it defensively, offensively, or both? I've never noticed, but maybe I wasn't observin' well enough. Nice observation, though. I'll be checkin' on September 17th.

My guess would be mostly defensively, or at least the defence that's athleticism/reflexes based and no matter who you are, age and athleticism/reflexes are inversely related. Obvious example being RJ Jr., but IMO, Floyd doesn't rely on his athleticism nearly as much as RJ Jr. did.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Aug 29 2011, 06:22 PM) *
My guess would be mostly defensively, or at least the defence that's athleticism/reflexes based and no matter who you are, age and athleticism/reflexes are inversely related. Obvious example being RJ Jr., but IMO, Floyd doesn't rely on his athleticism nearly as much as RJ Jr. did.

I agree with the bold.

FMJ has not been through the wear and tear that many have at his age, but he also hasn't fought a young, hungry lion that can match him physically in a long time . . . especially after nearly a year and a half of inactivity.
Cshel86
Maybe this is Floyd's prelude to losing in the future. He has to have an excuse that "makes sense" when he loses a bout, so let's all hang on and see what's next... I like him as a fighter, but we have to look at the fact that he's getting older, so he's going to use that to the fullest extent...so let's expect to hear the "Im getting older" and the deterioration talks...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 29 2011, 10:41 PM) *
I agree with the bold.

FMJ has not been through the wear and tear that many have at his age, but he also hasn't fought a young, hungry lion that can match him physically in a long time . . . especially after nearly a year and a half of inactivity.

Definitely looking forward to the 17th, including the undercard, Star Power for real!
mrwigi
A lot of times it boils down to how a fighter has taken care of there body. With that being said, if BHOP can fight at the age of 45, i dont see why people are saying now that he may get old in the ring. Has anyone ever see Floyd out of shape? EVER?
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrwigi @ Aug 30 2011, 06:32 PM) *
A lot of times it boils down to how a fighter has taken care of there body. With that being said, if BHOP can fight at the age of 45, i dont see why people are saying now that he may get old in the ring. Has anyone ever see Floyd out of shape? EVER?

no...but i have seen him drinking soda....and eating candy.....and popeyes chicken. bhop keeps a strict diet. no junk food.
Cheesey1

IMO BHop's overall style is very different from Floyd's. For a long time the words dirty fighter were synonymous with the name Bernard Hopkins (a lot of holding, elbows, sly headbutts etc.). Although Floyd isn't purely reflexes and athleticism he definitely uses his reflexes a lot to avoid punches and counter punch, but that is complimented by the fact that he really pays attention to what the other guy is doing, his patterns etc. BHop and Money are similar in the cerebral approach they take to the sweetest of sciences, but apart from that there are definitely obvious differences. So, even though top notch reflexes aren't all that Floyd has to offer they definitely help a counter puncher more than a boxer that has more of a work man like style. Which brings me back to my belief that time has a definite and marked effect on a person's reflexes. That being said, for my money, Money is still the best out there.
Eighty88Eight
I don't think those Mayweather genetics are too reliable either...
mrchitown
Interesting read, I don't really know What to make of Floyd's remarks butnhenis getting up in age. I haven't noticed much of a decline from him but only he knows his body so maybe there is something to it. His ring intelligence is a key factor in his wins now, I'm sure that will see him thru to some more wins in the future.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 30 2011, 09:55 PM) *
I don't think those Mayweather genetics are too reliable either...

It's obvious that tact doesn't run in the family, but being punch-drunk doesn't help keep it under control either! Ask Roger and Floyd Sr....
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 29 2011, 10:41 PM) *
I agree with the bold.

Exactly! This is why I don't understand why people insist on sayin' this fight will be a re-run of Floyd's fight with Marquez. Although I believe FMJ will emerge victorious, I still think the fight will be more competitive than a lot of people think.

BINGO! And nah, I've never seen Floyd out of shape.

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 30 2011, 10:21 PM) *
Interesting read, I don't really know What to make of Floyd's remarks butnhenis getting up in age. I haven't noticed much of a decline from him but only he knows his body so maybe there is something to it. His ring intelligence is a key factor in his wins now, I'm sure that will see him thru to some more wins in the future.

Enough said, case closed.
CrazyBuffalO
As a saying goes ďyouth and skill canít beat age and treachery.Ē
duwdu
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 29 2011, 03:57 PM) *

Thank you very much for the link.

The article itself is indeed very well written. However, to me, the gem in the article is the concise, yet comprehensive, historical summary - at the bottom of the main article - of the careers of the greatest practitioners of the sweet science that have ever lived. The whole thing is going into my own archives.

P34c3
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.