Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Elite Level Fighters
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JONdaCON817
Juss wanted some peoples opinion on which fighters they would call "Elite Level" Fighters.

We have obvious choice such as Pacquaio and Mayweather.

Then we fighters who may be peaking in there Careers, like Ortiz or Khan.

and we also have fighters like Bernard Hopkins who dont necessarily have the "Physical" Elite skills, like great hand speed, foot speed, or Punching power, but are Elite because of there ring generalship, Boxing IQ, etc.

who do you guys think?
mgrover
sergio martinez in a couple of fights when he cleans out the division or moves up in weight and successfully campaigns.
SmartyBeardo
The Siamese Klit has to qualify.

If Ward defeats Froch and Pute he would qualify.

SMartinez is at the threshold but he needs to go deal with Spurm, and the rest to unify.

BHop qualifies no matter what happens v that dude whose nuts are locked is his wife's jewelry drawer.

JMM qualifies in a lesser (though similar) way than BHop.

Donaire has it all but needs some work.

If Amere Khan can keep winning he will eventually qualify.

I thought Guerrero was on the road there but he keeps getting sidetracked.

. . . and of course prima donas 1 & 2.
Plah
Agree 100% with Beardo.
gravytrain
HW-WW
winner of Froch vs Ward
Vitali and Wlad
Mayweather
Pac
Sergio Martinez
Hopkins

Eighty88Eight
Hopkins is pretty fucking quick for a light heavyweight, i dont know what you're talking about, tc.

What's interesting is that everybody has listed fighters who are probably best known for their brain power. Nobody has put Berto and Gamboa in the "elite" category despite the fact that they're physically as elite as anybody.

I don't think Martinez is elite. He can fight, he's quick, but he isn't that good. He was a combination or two away from being stretched by Kelly Pavlik before being saved by a bad cut and a bad corner. We already saw what an elite fighter should do against someone like Pavlik.
daprofessor
bhop
mayweather
pac
jmm
donaire
martinez
ward
gamboa
bradley
linares

these guys are elite.
EAlbian
1st Class:
Wladimir Klitschko
Vitali Klitschko
Bernard Hopkins
Andre Ward
Sergio Martinez
Miguel Cotto
Manny Pacquiao
Floyd Mayweather
Juan Manuel Marquez
Chris John
Jorge Arce
Nonito Donaire
Pongsaklek Wonjongkam

2nd Class
Steve Cunningham
Antonio Tarver
Chad Dawson
Carl Froch
Amir Khan
Erik Morales
Yuriokis Gamboa
Omar Narvaez
Joseph Agbeko
Fernando Montiel
Ivan Claderon
Giovanni Segura

HM
Tomasz Adamek
Marco Huck
Jean Pascal
Tavoris Cloud
Mikkel Kessler
Erislandy Lara
Victor Ortiz
Andre Berto
Timothy Bradley
Marcos Maidana
Robert Guerrero
Brandon Rios
Juan Manuel Lopez
Guillermo Rigondeaux
Abner Mares
Vic Darchinyan
Hugo Cazares
gravytrain
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 30 2011, 09:15 AM) *
Hopkins is pretty fucking quick for a light heavyweight, i dont know what you're talking about, tc.

What's interesting is that everybody has listed fighters who are probably best known for their brain power. Nobody has put Berto and Gamboa in the "elite" category despite the fact that they're physically as elite as anybody.

I don't think Martinez is elite. He can fight, he's quick, but he isn't that good. He was a combination or two away from being stretched by Kelly Pavlik before being saved by a bad cut and a bad corner. We already saw what an elite fighter should do against someone like Pavlik.

you really want to talk about Berto in an elite fighters thread and then question Sergio Martinez? the only time the fight with Pavlik was close was when Martinez took rounds off and even then Pavlik wasn't doing anything impressive. i think Gamboa has potential to make the list but he needs elite level fights to get there.
mrchitown
Manny
Floyd
B hop
Amir khan if he keeps winning
Andre ward if he gets past froch and can beat bute will deserve to be considered elite
The Klitschko brothers
Donaire
JMM
Martinez
Gamboa
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Aug 30 2011, 01:01 PM) *
1st Class:
Wladimir Klitschko
Vitali Klitschko
Bernard Hopkins
Andre Ward
Sergio Martinez
Miguel Cotto
Manny Pacquiao
Floyd Mayweather
Juan Manuel Marquez
Chris John
Jorge Arce
Nonito Donaire
Pongsaklek Wonjongkam

I definitely should not have overlooked John and Wonjongkam.
EAlbian
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 31 2011, 11:10 PM) *
I definitely should not have overlooked John and Wonjongkam.

Both of them i think deserve some accolades. I guess it all boils down to what you deem "elite" and if elite and P4P are different in your mind. Elite to me means who's the man to beat in a division and has that guy been the man for a while or has he done it in other divisions.
JONdaCON817
Good list gentleman. Pretty spot on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.