Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WE NEED MORE MAIDANAS, NOT PRIMA DONNAS :aggressive:
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
Marcos Maidana has consistently proven himself in the sport and found some type of way to break his opponents in the ring (win or lose). Not once have I heard him complaining about "the best need to fight the best" and so on. He's not crying about the big names not wanting to fight young up and coming fighters, he just gets in there and make his presence known, even if he is the underdog. He draws the attention of fighters with/seeking drawing power, and guarantees boxing fans a grueling fight every time. He upset Ortiz in '09, landed Fight of the Year in '10 against Khan, was one of the first fighters in 140 lb division (in a while) to headline a PPV in '11 against Morales, and almost went through with a bout against Guerrero this past weekend. In my opinion, dude has proven himself enough to create his own big fight, or a fight with a bigger name. We need more fighters like this in the sport...
daprofessor
hard not to like the dude. he definitely comes to fight and is very exciting. i wish we could have seen his rise to the top. unfortunately...he's now on the downslide. i don't think he beats any of the top guys at 140...but i'd love to see him fight matthysse. i don't think he beats him either.
Fitz
Maidana is a good example, but nothing is better than Vic Darchinyan as an example now. Unifies, and continues to want to fight the best. He will literally fight anyone, and exactly how a champion should conduct himself.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 30 2011, 06:45 PM) *
Maidana is a good example, but nothing is better than Vic Darchinyan as an example now. Unifies, and continues to want to fight the best. He will literally fight anyone, and exactly how a champion should conduct himself.

favorite dic varchinyan fight: nonito donaire smile.gif

Fitz
That's great to hear sport.

Tell me more...
daprofessor
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 30 2011, 06:49 PM) *
That's great to hear sport.

Tell me more...

2nd favorite: king kong agbeko smile.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
I agree. Other boxers who are helping the sport are Darchy, Froch, Bradley, Morales, JMM, Katsidis, Guerrero, Rios, Martinez, Williams, and Johnson. These dudes will fight anyone, no questions asked.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 30 2011, 06:53 PM) *
I agree. Other boxers who are helping the sport are Darchy, Froch, Bradley, Morales, JMM, Katsidis, Guerrero, Rios, Martinez, Williams, and Johnson. These dudes will fight anyone, no questions asked.

But dont get nearly as much press as they should! Seems like you have to go out of the way and smack the public in order to get some attention in this sport if you aren't headlining PPV's once or twice a year.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 30 2011, 06:39 PM) *
hard not to like the dude. he definitely comes to fight and is very exciting. i wish we could have seen his rise to the top. unfortunately...he's now on the downslide. i don't think he beats any of the top guys at 140...but i'd love to see him fight matthysse. i don't think he beats him either.

Downslide?! I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one. What top guys at 140? If anything, those "mystery top guys" at 140 wouldn't fight him. Bradley? It would be a "heart and skill tester" and help Bradley build fan base (or lack there of), but he would probably decline that fight. He's already fought Khan and Morales, so there are no more top guys in the division (in my opinion) that will take the fight. Matthysse may want to take a stab at it, but we already know (hopefully) that he's fought Maidana 3 times in the past (amateur career) and lost...it would be a great scrap though. Alexander is screaming welterweight, so we can count him out...besides, Maidana brings out an expected but unexpected adversity during fights, so I dont think Devon will hang too tough with him in the later rounds.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 30 2011, 06:45 PM) *

Vic is one of those game fighters that we dont see often...I always appreciates this guys fights. That nose always seems to be the first thing to bleed, but he fights like a freakin' mountain lion! Cant deny this dude...
Fitz
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 31 2011, 09:05 AM) *
Vic is one of those game fighters that we dont see often...I always appreciates this guys fights. That nose always seems to be the first thing to bleed, but he fights like a freakin' mountain lion! Cant deny this dude...

Win or lose, he always comes to fight, and even after a loss, his whole demeanor doesn't change. He was an undisputed champion, always looking for the best fighters he can fight, and when he does lose, he wants to avenge his losses.
I really respect him as a fighter, and I think one of the few guys that acts like a champion should act.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 30 2011, 07:00 PM) *
But dont get nearly as much press as they should! Seems like you have to go out of the way and smack the public in order to get some attention in this sport if you aren't headlining PPV's once or twice a year.

Yeah, boxing fans know them, but whenever they fight, a 4000 live audience is the best they can do.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 30 2011, 07:10 PM) *
Win or lose, he always comes to fight, and even after a loss, his whole demeanor doesn't change. He was an undisputed champion, always looking for the best fighters he can fight, and when he does lose, he wants to avenge his losses.
I really respect him as a fighter, and I think one of the few guys that acts like a champion should act.

Thats what the sport is lacking nowadays. All we have now are the guys that lose and reveal that "mystery injury" that they came into the fight with..then at the end of the hog wash, they say that they aren't trying to use any excuses, smh.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 30 2011, 07:12 PM) *
Yeah, boxing fans know them, but whenever they fight, a 4000 live audience is the best they can do.

If that many. Your best bet is to fight at home as much as possible to develop a fan base, win in impressive fashion in at least your first 15-17 fights, and be a crowd pleaser. If not...you'll barely sell out rec gym.
Cshel86
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 30 2011, 07:16 PM) *
If that many. Your best bet is to fight at home as much as possible to develop a fan base, win in impressive fashion in at least your first 15-17 fights, and be a crowd pleaser. If not...you'll barely sell out rec gym.

laugh.gif Shiiiit, some of these rec gyms are getting bigger, so some of these fighters are already in trouble.
King Eugene
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 30 2011, 07:27 PM) *
laugh.gif Shiiiit, some of these rec gyms are getting bigger, so some of these fighters are already in trouble.

laugh.gif Damn!
Cshel86
Maidana has established himself as he "fighter to beat". When guys want to erase all past shortcomings, show that they have heart, or try to increase drawing power...who do they call out?...none other than this dude. I swear this guy fights like he's on PCP or somethin'. He cant be hit, but him being hurt in a fight is hard to determine. I swear he was playing possum in that Ortiz fight because he just kept getting up after 3 knockdowns...talkin' about something messing with your mental...
SmartyBeardo
Maidana is not a great boxer. His footwork sucks. He can't seem to find a cup that fits. He is easy to hit. But, I will go out of my way to watch him fight anyone. All fucking heart.

He could have folded v Morales, but he finished another ugly performance.

He could have stayed down in round one v Khan but he gutted it out and nearly pulled it out in a great fight for both boxers.

Marcos The Test Maidana.

Vic is a warrior.

JMM is great.

Froch is a crowd pleaser.

Arce is rugged.

SMartinez.
Cshel86
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 30 2011, 11:12 PM) *
Maidana is not a great boxer. His footwork sucks. He can't seem to find a cup that fits. He is easy to hit. But, I will go out of my way to watch him fight anyone. All fucking heart.

He could have folded v Morales, but he finished another ugly performance.

He could have stayed down in round one v Khan but he gutted it out and nearly pulled it out in a great fight for both boxers.

Marcos The Test Maidana.

Vic is a warrior.

JMM is great.

Froch is a crowd pleaser.

Arce is rugged.

SMartinez.

Yeah he puts me in the mind of a more cautious Mayorga. Win or lose, Mayorga always put up a fight and put on a show. I would buy this guy's fights to this day...just bought the recent Cotto/Mayorga PPV months ago. Maidana is one of those "I will try whatever to win this fight no matter how sloppy it looks" type of fighters. Thank God he can take a punch.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 30 2011, 11:24 PM) *
Yeah he puts me in the mind of a more cautious Mayorga. Win or lose, Mayorga always put up a fight and put on a show. I would buy this guy's fights to this day...just bought the recent Cotto/Mayorga PPV months ago. Maidana is one of those "I will try whatever to win this fight no matter how sloppy it looks" type of fighters. Thank God he can take a punch.

I agree... maidana reminds me of mayorga is so many ways...

Maidana is going to simply be a gate keeper I think..

Good enough to compete with the best, but not good enough to beat them...

(Unless mistakes are made)
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Aug 31 2011, 09:36 AM) *
I agree... maidana reminds me of mayorga is so many ways...

Maidana is going to simply be a gate keeper I think..

Good enough to compete with the best, but not good enough to beat them...

(Unless mistakes are made)

I agree with the whole gate keeper role as it relates to both Maidana and Mayorga, though Mayorga was a undeniable character and somewhat of a threat to his opponents, if they made mistakes. He lost almost all of his big fights, but the fact of the matter is, he was chosen for those big fights and earned them along the way. The fact that Maidana tests ALL of his opponents and fights to the bitter end and doesn't cry about not getting big money fights, is a sure-as-shit way to land them (in my opinion).
daprofessor
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 30 2011, 07:02 PM) *
Downslide?! I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one. What top guys at 140? If anything, those "mystery top guys" at 140 wouldn't fight him. Bradley? It would be a "heart and skill tester" and help Bradley build fan base (or lack there of), but he would probably decline that fight. He's already fought Khan and Morales, so there are no more top guys in the division (in my opinion) that will take the fight. Matthysse may want to take a stab at it, but we already know (hopefully) that he's fought Maidana 3 times in the past (amateur career) and lost...it would be a great scrap though. Alexander is screaming welterweight, so we can count him out...besides, Maidana brings out an expected but unexpected adversity during fights, so I dont think Devon will hang too tough with him in the later rounds.

he's been in wars with ortiz, khan and morales. we know he lost to khan already....and a lot of ppl thought he lost to morales. i think his best days are behind him. i could be wrong. i don't think he can hang with bradley and his face first style will only serve to shorten his career. he can beat alexander. i'd still like to see him fight matthysse.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 31 2011, 03:12 PM) *
he's been in wars with ortiz, khan and morales. we know he lost to khan already....and a lot of ppl thought he lost to morales. i think his best days are behind him. i could be wrong. i don't think he can hang with bradley and his face first style will only serve to shorten his career. he can beat alexander. i'd still like to see him fight matthysse.

Help me to understand how his best days are behind him, when fighters are avoiding him and challenging him to prove to fans that they have heart? Maidana is considered The Test on this board. I see him having more credible fights/wars ahead of him, and he could possibly be moving to welterweight sooner than later. I dont see him being as effective past welterweight, but who knows.
daprofessor
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 31 2011, 05:10 PM) *
Help me to understand how his best days are behind him, when fighters are avoiding him and challenging him to prove to fans that they have heart? Maidana is considered The Test on this board. I see him having more credible fights/wars ahead of him, and he could possibly be moving to welterweight sooner than later. I dont see him being as effective past welterweight, but who knows.

that's just a gut feeling i have based on his fight with morales. morales is old and past his best weight. i know styles make fights...but i think other fighters would have beaten morales more convincingly. sure....he's going to be a test for anyone because of his punching power. that's usually the last thing to go. at welter...who knows if he'll bring his punch with him? he may be killing himself to make 140, so the move up could actually benefit him. that all remains to be seen. if it proves to be true, i'll be the first to admit i was wrong.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 31 2011, 05:20 PM) *
that's just a gut feeling i have based on his fight with morales. morales is old and past his best weight. i know styles make fights...but i think other fighters would have beaten morales more convincingly. sure....he's going to be a test for anyone because of his punching power. that's usually the last thing to go. at welter...who knows if he'll bring his punch with him? he may be killing himself to make 140, so the move up could actually benefit him. that all remains to be seen. if it proves to be true, i'll be the first to admit i was wrong.

Now Im clear on that.
Fitz
Mayorga and Maidana are not comparable, Mayorga is definitely better. The competition he lost to was good.

He beat Forrest twice and was a unified welter weight champion, that's better than anything Maidana has ever done. Maidana hasn't even been able to pick up a paper title, let a lone become a unified welter weight champion by beating someone like Forrest.
They are both crude fighters, but at this point, that's where the comparison ends.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 31 2011, 05:51 PM) *
Mayorga and Maidana are not comparable, Mayorga is definitely better. The competition he lost to was good.

He beat Forrest twice and was a unified welter weight champion, that's better than anything Maidana has ever done. Maidana hasn't even been able to pick up a paper title, let a lone become a unified welter weight champion by beating someone like Forrest.
They are both crude fighters, but at this point, that's where the comparison ends.

Thats the point I was aiming for. Hell, I almost forgot that Mayorga has the welterweight champ for a sec, lol. I remember the Forrest upset though...that was a quiet night.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.