Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins vs Cleverly at Millenium Stadium next year?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/otherspor...ony-Bellew.html

It would make Cleverly a major name in British boxing, and allow him to follow in the footsteps of his idol Joe Calzaghe, who defeated Hopkins on a memorable night in Las Vegas in 2008. But first Cleverly must defeat the obdurate, tenacious Bellew, on his home patch.

The Cleverly-Bellew world title match was announced in London yesterday, though the Liverpudlian arrived over two hours late for the news conference after train delays.

Come fight night, the contest could resemble a train crash given the enmity between the pair. Bellew, five years the senior with a longer distinguished amateur pedigree has stalked ringside at Cleverly’s contests insisting he could not wait to knock out his rival.

In the meantime, ‘Clever Boy’ Cleverly has finished a degree in Applied Mathematics at Cardiff University and won the British, Commonwealth and European 175lbs titles in record time.

Jealousy, rivalry, whatever it is, or wherever it has come from, the fight is on. Big time. Cleverly accepted going into Bellew’s home patch with alacrity.
Related Articles

“It wasn’t really a tough decision. It was my choice where I wanted to fight – Wales or in Liverpool, and we were struggling to find the right venue in Wales. At the end of the day the Liverpool venue [The Echo Arena with a 10,000 spectator capacity] is almost guaranteed to sell out, and it’s in a boxing ring where the action will take place.

"Wherever we fight it is still Tony Bellew, and I’m still a world champion. I will definitely beat this guy and it is a grudge match which has developed over the years. I turned pro and won the belts, he stayed amateur and is about six fights behind me. Does he deserve a world title shot? Probably ‘no’, but it’s a fight I want to get out of the way.”

Regardless of 23-year-old Cleverly’s self-belief, Bellew brings with him his own deep faith in his own fighting nous and this contest will be a war from the build-up to the last bell.

Both men enjoy a tear-up. Both are unbeaten. Bellew insists he will come to fight.

Cleverly says he will not back down. On the same night, Oct 15, Bernard Hopkins, the oldest world boxing champion in history, now aged 47, will defend his WBC light-heavyweight world title against former champion Chad Dawson, in the United States.

Frank Warren, promoter of both Bellew and Cleverly, explained: “I have spoken with Richard Schaefer [Hopkins’s promoter, and the CEO of Oscar de la Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions] and if Bernard Hopkins comes through this, he could fight the winner of Cleverly-Bellew.

"This is a very lively division in the world at the moment. If Nathan Cleverly wins, the fight [with Hopkins] will be at the Millennium Stadium, most likely early next year. Hopkins is the fighter who has impressed me more than any other fighter in the world in the last couple of years.”

Cleverly insisted he is not looking past the challenge Bellew sets him, but is ultra-motivated at the prospect of facing Hopkins, too.

“I definitely want the Hopkins fight. I’m 24 now, and I believe still four years away from my peak. Bernard Hopkins is special. I’ve always watched him, he is a major American boxer, he oozes class, and I’m now in the position of being one fight away from beating a legend.

"I watched him for a week at close quarters when Joe Calzaghe, who was once my mentor, fought him in Las Vegas, and I think he would struggle against my style.

“I never thought at the time that I would get to fight him – I thought he’d be retired by the time I was a world champion. He seems to be getting better and better and is a genius at what he does.

“But I’ve got to beat Tony Bellew first. I won’t be taking a backward step in that fight. I know I take risks, but fans like boxers who come to fight, and who are exciting.”
King Eugene
This kid is getting in over his head... smh.
Method
When asked weeks ago on his twitter page, Hopkins didn't even know who Cleverly was. Not happenin'.
mgrover
at least the kids not scared to be calling out big names rather than fighting nobodies and claiming to be the greatest. although am not sure how i see it. is he calling out hopkins because and no offence to the man his physical abilities have been in decline. or is it because he wants to prove himself as a contender by taking out a ring legend.
King Eugene
QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 30 2011, 08:35 PM) *
at least the kids not scared to be calling out big names rather than fighting nobodies and claiming to be the greatest. although am not sure how i see it. is he calling out hopkins because and no offence to the man his physical abilities have been in decline. or is it because he wants to prove himself as a contender by taking out a ring legend.

He wants to attemtp to follow Calzaghe's footsteps.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 31 2011, 10:16 AM) *
This kid is getting in over his head... smh.

I agree but I give him credit for looking to face the biggest & best name he can & get his domestic rival out of the way first.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 31 2011, 10:22 AM) *
When asked weeks ago on his twitter page, Hopkins didn't even know who Cleverly was. Not happenin'.

He would make more money going to the UK than anywhere else.
Fitz
QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 31 2011, 10:35 AM) *

See this is the issue I don't like. Yeah Hopkins is on the decline, but these are the facts:

• Still regarded as a top 5 p4p fighter in the world
  • Considered the best 175 fighter in the world

The man maybe is older and on the decline (hey, even Mayweather you could say that he isn't in his prime, but still a very good fighter), but one of the top fighters in the world, and the best guy at 175 at the moment.

Maybe it's all of the above? Wants to beat a ring legend, the best fighter at 175 and a top 5 p4p'er in the world.

They are great credentials for anybody at 22, 25, 29, 33 or 46. Just seems like people still treat Hopkins like an old shot fighter, and think there is an agenda when people want to fight him. It's a credit to Hopkins for where he is right now, and people should treat him like he is a top fighter in the world.
I think bringing up age and should come when he is putting up RJJ type of performances, until then, just treat him like one of the top fighters in the world, because that's what he is.
Cshel86
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 30 2011, 08:50 PM) *
He would make more money going to the UK than anywhere else.

If Hopkins will go to the UK remains to be seen. I remember him clowning RJJ for getting knocked out by Danny Green over seas. "Roy should've known better, we all know what happens when you go over there and fight" (paraphrased)
Method
He'll go over seas for Calz. That's it.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 30 2011, 09:39 PM) *
He'll go over seas for Calz. That's it.

Now this is a situation where the money will be "right enough" for him to go over seas.
Method
I'm just telling you what I've read on his twitter page. Yeah, the money component plays big, but there's also legacy component that weighs strongly too. Ex dont know Cleverly, won't feel like Clev enhances the legacy, and he ain't gonna serve himself up on a platter to be the"infomercial" for the kid.
Eighty88Eight
who the fuck is cleverly
Method
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 30 2011, 09:58 PM) *
who the fuck is cleverly

Exactly.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 30 2011, 09:58 PM) *
who the fuck is cleverly

Exactly! I bet he has more fans than some of these up and coming fighters...you can bet that no2.gif Sad, but true...
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 31 2011, 12:01 PM) *
Exactly! I bet he has more fans than some of these up and coming fighters...you can bet that no2.gif Sad, but true...

It is sad that a undefeated, educated & articulate 175lb beltholder is popular? He may have more fans than other up n comers because he has shown he will fight whoever is put in front of him & is promoted correctly.
Cshel86
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 30 2011, 10:58 PM) *
It is sad that a undefeated, educated & articulate 175lb beltholder is popular? He may have more fans than other up n comers because he has shown he will fight whoever is put in front of him & is promoted correctly.

+1
I definitely can't argue with you on this one...and notice that I didn't even attempt to. This shit will end up being a Calzaghe (spell check) repeat...dude beat the hell outta Lacy, RJJ, and Hopkins (barely), and finished his career. Dude came with a fan base and all.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 31 2011, 02:00 PM) *
+1
I definitely can't argue with you on this one...and notice that I didn't even attempt to. This shit will end up being a Calzaghe (spell check) repeat...dude beat the hell outta Lacy, RJJ, and Hopkins (barely), and finished his career. Dude came with a fan base and all.

One thing you have to give up to the Europeans is that they get behind & support their fighters. The UK has a thriving domestic scene & their fighters at all levels get heavy mainstream media promotion relative to what happens in other countries.

The fact that they are covered by the media from early on (British titles up) helps build their supporter base.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 30 2011, 09:58 PM) *
I'm just telling you what I've read on his twitter page. Yeah, the money component plays big, but there's also legacy component that weighs strongly too. Ex dont know Cleverly, won't feel like Clev enhances the legacy, and he ain't gonna serve himself up on a platter to be the"infomercial" for the kid.

I already know B-Hop aint goin' out like that anyway...if he took the fight, he would do anything possible to school this kid.
lloyd mayflower
Clev is popular because like Stevenski said, he is aritculate, educated, he tends to be in pretty exciting fights. Since his run from domestic to world level (and leaving Enzo) he has stepped up in terms of power and has improved his KO percentage. He got badly fucked about by Jurgen Braehmer but never the less is a title holder. At the age of 23 and still with some learning to do he is looking to fight the best in his division. Somebody shoot him.

The fact of the matter is, Clev could most likely fill the millenium stadium for the right fight with a half decent undercard. There are only a handful of fighters in America who can fill more than a phone box, and not many of them are American. Some of you guys should consider that when you refuse to look past Americas borders.

Cshel, maybe i'm misunderstanding you, but your post reads to me like you think Cleverly is some bum who doesn't deserve a fan base? Who do you consider a more deserving "up and comer" than a 23 year old champion who has shown willing to fight anyone and until recently boxed basically part time whilst studying for a degree?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 31 2011, 12:35 PM) *
he calling out hopkins because and no offence to the man his physical abilities have been in decline. or is it because he wants to prove himself as a contender by taking out a ring legend.

He is calling out Hopkins because:

1) It sounds ballsy.

and

2) He knows it will never happen.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Aug 31 2011, 07:38 PM) *
Clev is popular because like Stevenski said, he is aritculate, educated, he tends to be in pretty exciting fights. Since his run from domestic to world level (and leaving Enzo) he has stepped up in terms of power and has improved his KO percentage. He got badly fucked about by Jurgen Braehmer but never the less is a title holder. At the age of 23 and still with some learning to do he is looking to fight the best in his division. Somebody shoot him.

The fact of the matter is, Clev could most likely fill the millenium stadium for the right fight with a half decent undercard. There are only a handful of fighters in America who can fill more than a phone box, and not many of them are American. Some of you guys should consider that when you refuse to look past Americas borders.

Cshel, maybe i'm misunderstanding you, but your post reads to me like you think Cleverly is some bum who doesn't deserve a fan base? Who do you consider a more deserving "up and comer" than a 23 year old champion who has shown willing to fight anyone and until recently boxed basically part time whilst studying for a degree?

Excellent post Lloyd. Not saying this kid is a world beater (who knows) but he is having a go & putting bums on seats.
Cshel86
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Aug 31 2011, 05:38 AM) *

Oh noooooo!!! Trust me, with the likes of Calzaghe, Hamed, Hatton, Green, Khan (almost), and so forth, fighters from overseas have their shit together when they challenge big name fighters in the states. They either have a huge fan base in their country and challenge an American fighter to come to them, or they come over and dismantle American fighters.
Cshel86
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 31 2011, 12:26 AM) *
One thing you have to give up to the Europeans is that they get behind & support their fighters. The UK has a thriving domestic scene & their fighters at all levels get heavy mainstream media promotion relative to what happens in other countries.

The fact that they are covered by the media from early on (British titles up) helps build their supporter base.

Yeah I cant argue with that at all, being the fact that we have fighters over here who cant put any other asses in seats (other than their family members, training team, and entourages), but they feel that the world owes them something no2.gif
Cheesey1
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 31 2011, 08:17 AM) *
Excellent post Lloyd. Not saying this kid is a world beater (who knows) but he is having a go & putting bums on seats.

I like Cleverly. Even though they never show his fights over here I always catch them online whenever I can. Hopkins vs. Cleverly would be good for the sport, as is Dawson vs. Hopkins. What I think would be great for the sport would be Cleverly vs. Tavoris Cloud. Two, very good, well respected in their respectve countries, young boxers mixing it up. Now that I think about it, I'd be much more interested in watching Cleverly Vs. Cloud. Come on promoters, make it happen!!!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Sep 1 2011, 02:26 AM) *
I like Cleverly. Even though they never show his fights over here I always catch them online whenever I can. Hopkins vs. Cleverly would be good for the sport, as is Dawson vs. Hopkins. What I think would be great for the sport would be Cleverly vs. Tavoris Cloud. Two, very good, well respected in their respectve countries, young boxers mixing it up. Now that I think about it, I'd be much more interested in watching Cleverly Vs. Cloud. Come on promoters, make it happen!!!

That would be a excellent fight IMO. If it was nice & competitive they could make a couple of fights.
Method
From Hopkins' Twitter page...

@THEREALBHOP BERNARD HOPKINS EX

Y is this nathan cleary keep using my name. I dont kno him neva seen him fight.

30 Aug
lloyd mayflower
I dont understand how a "student of the game" like Bernard doesnt know who one of the champions are in his division.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.