Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2007 Oscar De La Hoya vs 2007 Miguel Cotto
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
EAlbian
How well do you guys think a 2007 version of Miguel Cotto would have fared against ODLH? This is the Miguel Cotto who fought Judah, pre-Mosley, pre-Margarito versus the version of Oscar who in the last year destroyed Mayorga. This fight would have been in place of the Mayweather fight, before we saw any real slippage in ODLH( ie. the Forbes fight).

Obviously this is a hypothetical fight and I know he wouldn't have fought Cotto because his wife is from PR.

This fight would have been @154
streetlion1
I wouldve loved to see this fight because both are/were my favorite fighters....I would call it a toss up but at that point in time I dont think Miguel wouldve been ready for 154 so I would lean towards DLH.

A better question would be Mayweather vs Cotto....I still think to this day that stylistically Cotto would be the best/toughest fight for Mayweather.
EAlbian
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Sep 1 2011, 12:09 PM) *
I wouldve loved to see this fight because both are/were my favorite fighters....I would call it a toss up but at that point in time I dont think Miguel wouldve been ready for 154 so I would lean towards DLH.

A better question would be Mayweather vs Cotto....I still think to this day that stylistically Cotto would be the best/toughest fight for Mayweather.

yea i was trying to leave Mayweather out of this thread because it seems to be the outcome of every thread on this site haha.

I think it would have been a good fight and i would have leaned towards DLH as well. I think he could have weathered anything Cotto would have thrown at him and dictated the action with the jab and range.

Eighty88Eight
Oscar by knockout. Aside from the Mosley victory, an aberration, this guy hasn't looked good against anybody. Oscar chops him up good, knocks him out sometime after the 6th round.
mrchitown
I would've loved to see this fight. At that time I don't believe Cotto was ready for 154 , but I'm sure he would've took the fight regardless. I could envision Cotto trying to do that bodywork which he was so great at around that time. But I'd go with Oscar to break him down with sharp accurate punches and win by TKO in the 9th round
daprofessor
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Sep 1 2011, 10:58 AM) *
How well do you guys think a 2007 version of Miguel Cotto would have fared against ODLH? This is the Miguel Cotto who fought Judah, pre-Mosley, pre-Margarito versus the version of Oscar who in the last year destroyed Mayorga. This fight would have been in place of the Mayweather fight, before we saw any real slippage in ODLH( ie. the Forbes fight).

Obviously this is a hypothetical fight and I know he wouldn't have fought Cotto because his wife is from PR.

This fight would have been @154

'07 cotto destroys '07 dlh.
thehype
Hmmmmmmm. 2007 was the year of the Fishnet Scandal. I'll take Cotto over Cocaína De La Hoya.
Mean Mister Mustard
2007 was Cotto's best year and one could say that he was at the peak of his powers back then. DLH was past it, understandable since he had become a part time fighter, yet he still had enough to give Mayweather a hell of a fight.

Cotto would try and box DLH, rather than pursue him. DLH would enjoy the height and reach advantage , but I feel that Cotto had better timing. A good jabber always seemed to be able to get to DLH, with or without the reach disadvantage, and I don't think this would have been any different. I think Cotto would hit DLH with one shot and get out of the way of DLH's flurries.

That being said, DLH did have the heart of a true competitor and he would no doubt always land something for every time Cotto hit him. Cotto does have a tendecy to square up and that would have left him open for DLH's combos and jab.

The interesting part would be near the end of the fight. Both guys have a tendency to fade down the stretch, and in this case I think that DLH, due to his age, would have slowed down more than Cotto, which would give the Puerto Rican the edge. I still see it as being a close fight.
Cshel86
Assuming that you are saying Cotto was able to make 154 back then with his '07 skill level...I would still lean a bit towards De La Hoya. Oscar's slight height advantage and that jab and left hook would've been a big factor going down the stretch. Cotto was terrible about leaning his forwards and sitting there inviting punches to bounce off his face, but he's been better about it nowadays. The first part of the fight would've been a scratch and sniff affair for the both of them, but Oscar's jab trumps everything...when he decides to use it or doesn't fade down the stretch. De La Hoya was also the king of the waist guard/cup protector being up too high, so those Cotto body shots would've been weathered before anybody said anything about it.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
This would be a battle of who gasses first. Either Hoya early or Cotto points.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.