Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andre Berto v Dejan Zavec (No Spoilers, Preview Only)
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
SmartyBeardo
Dejan Zavec is no pushover. He is 31(18)-1 but has been on a demolition roll for the past 3 years, stopping 4 of 5 of his opponents. His only loss is a SD. He reminds me of a miniature Marciano or Tyson. He throws a lot of hard punches. Berto better be serious about this one because I am convinced that Zavec could win this. Zavec has good hooks, but therein lies his weakness - he throws too much wide stuff and can be had down the middle. This is a good test for Doe Puff.
Cshel86
I agree with this fight possibly going towards Zavec. He has a decent defense, unlike most of Berto's opponents who just stand there to be sacrificed and land a part in his highlight films. The only kicker is, can he handle some of Berto's punches? If so, then it will be a long night and another roller coaster for Berto. Let's see if Conte injected some confidence in Berto laugh.gif

* If RJJ is part of the commentary, let's see how many times he messes up Zavec's name with those gay lisps that does.
Jack 1000
What are the chances of Zavec being robbed on the cards to protect HBO's "Poster Boy?" With Zavec being such an unknown, is he gonna need a TKO/KO to win?

Jack
checkleft
I am actually rooting for berto. He has all the tools to be great, it just seems like he lacks confidence or drive or heart. Whatever it may be if the fight is close I don't have a hard time believing the judges would score it Lara-Williams style.
EAlbian
QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 2 2011, 02:03 PM) *
I am actually rooting for berto. He has all the tools to be great, it just seems like he lacks confidence or drive or heart. Whatever it may be if the fight is close I don't have a hard time believing the judges would score it Lara-Williams style.

If he lacks drive, confidence, or heart he's missing some pretty important tools to be great
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 2 2011, 02:51 PM) *
What are the chances of Zavec being robbed on the cards to protect HBO's "Poster Boy?" With Zavec being such an unknown, is he gonna need a TKO/KO to win?

Jack

There's always a chance for him to get robbed on the cards. A TKO/KO isn't out of the question, since Zavec has somewhat of a blueprint on how to do it...he just needs to execute it. Im sure this fight was made to make sure Berto wins, but I don't think this guy as one of those pushover "ABC mandatories that HBO broadcasts to get slaughtered by the known fighter.
JLUVBABY
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 2 2011, 01:51 PM) *

Jack

my guess is zavec needs a ko to earn a draw and id like to see him pull it off.. something about berto im just not liking... he has the skills but he lacks something... cant put my finger on it but he lacks that EXTRA SOMETHING to make him the extra ordinary fighter he shows he can be.. to me thats a waste of talent...
EAlbian
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Sep 2 2011, 03:04 PM) *

for those of you who don't know this is Hlatshwayo who at this point only had a points loss to Kendal Holt and wins over Cassius Baloyi, Nate Campbell, and a draw and win over Delvin Rodriguez. Not a scrub by any means. Zavek is a tough customer and if Berto isn't ready to work more than 35 sec a round he's going to get Ortiz'ed again
Cshel86
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Sep 2 2011, 04:12 PM) *
for those of you who don't know this is Hlatshwayo who at this point had a points loss to Kendal Holt and wins over Cassius Baloyi, Nate Campbell, and a draw and win over Delvin Rodriguez. Not a scrub by any means. Zavek is a tough customer and if Berto isn't ready to work more than 35 sec a round he's going to get Ortiz'ed again

Oh shit!!! laugh.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Sep 2 2011, 03:40 PM) *
If he lacks drive, confidence, or heart he's missing some pretty important tools to be great

As long as he has this, then he should be okay with recovering from that Ortiz loss. Now that I have watched it for the 50th time, Berto didn't really lose anything after that fight, just like Alexander didn't lose much after the Bradley fight because the loss wasn't so bad. I say this because I've said it in many other threads, Ortiz handled Berto in those first 5 rounds, but ended up getting wacked by Berto in the 6th, and was 2-3 punches away from losing the fight.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 2 2011, 02:51 PM) *

Jack

he's going to have to stop Berto to win this one. i've thought about an upset in this fight but i don't know if it'll happen. i do think they're underestimating Zavec though, this could end up being a lot harder than he thinks it'll be. i'm going to call the ref being very easy on Berto's holding though, i expect to see hit and hug Berto in full effect.
mrwigi
I'm just curious as to how Berto responds after the loss.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (mrwigi @ Sep 2 2011, 05:54 PM) *
I'm just curious as to how Berto responds after the loss.

Interesting! Do you foresee Berto getting stopped or losing a decision?

Jack
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 2 2011, 01:51 PM) *

Jack

Berto is overall the better fightre i think ppl are counting out berto cause of the ortiz loss but that ortiz would have beaten most WW today.

Berto within 5 rds.

Gary Russell is also fighting on the undercard keep an eye out for this kid he can fight.
Mean Mister Mustard
Zavec looks like a tough customer. Berto's speed and power is usually enough to befuddle most fighters, but if Zavec is solid and can walk through them, will Berto have a plan B?
Cshel86
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 2 2011, 09:23 PM) *
Zavec looks like a tough customer. Berto's speed and power is usually enough to befuddle most fighters, but if Zavec is solid and can walk through them, will Berto have a plan B?

+1
EAlbian

Berto look great, he looks like he trained his ass off. I thought this whole conte shit was bullshit but he looks like he's finally taking this shit seriously
Cshel86
Let's see how those Conte vitamins tomorrow laugh.gif (just pickin')
Jack 1000
For some reason,

I can't get up for this fight. Maybe it is because no one knows who Berto is fighting, and Berto is over-rated. This probably means it will turn out to be a decent fight! hahaha.

Do you think HBO expects this dude Zavec to be a pushover?

Jack
mrwigi
I'm really not sure. I dont think Dejan can get the gift of a decision against Berto. I wuldnt be surprised if Berto was stopped, or at least wobbled and sat down. We will have to see how he reacts after getting hit.
Sunni6Killer
Zaveck survives Berto early and win a close decision, probably by SD.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 3 2011, 06:04 AM) *
For some reason,

I can't get up for this fight. Maybe it is because no one knows who Berto is fighting, and Berto is over-rated. This probably means it will turn out to be a decent fight! hahaha.

Do you think HBO expects this dude Zavec to be a pushover?

Jack

i think they see this as Berto getting another title. most definitely. but the big problem for Berto in this fight is his low activity level and low quality of opposition, i think it hurt him against Ortiz too. when he got in the ring with someone that made it a fight he looked confused and took rounds to adjust, even after he made adjustments he looked like prospect that tried to jump too far.

i expect a close fight where Berto gets generous scoring.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Sep 3 2011, 02:52 PM) *
i think they see this as Berto getting another title. most definitely. but the big problem for Berto in this fight is his low activity level and low quality of opposition, i think it hurt him against Ortiz too. when he got in the ring with someone that made it a fight he looked confused and took rounds to adjust, even after he made adjustments he looked like prospect that tried to jump too far.

i expect a close fight where Berto gets generous scoring.

Agreed

Regardless of the title, this is a crossraod fight for Berto. Not only for the Ortiz rematch or Floyed fight, but for his entire relevancy.
Mean Mister Mustard
I'm surprised at the amount of people who are picking Zavec to either beat, or make it a close fight against Berto. I was waiting for the "he's nothing but an European fighter" comments.
Cshel86
Hope Berto's brother doesn't make up all that noise in his corner tonight. I cant stand that sh!t, then he always has that white stuff on the corners of his mouth, smh...
Cshel86
Man Zavec aint no punk. Zavec landed some good shots, but I still gave the first to Berto.
Cshel86
Im a bit baffled by the outcome of this one. Zavec had decent defense, and I have never saw ANY of Berto's opponents look like this after a fight with him. Im just wondering...
caneman
Wow Berto gets a belt back!
gravytrain
QUOTE (caneman @ Sep 3 2011, 11:59 PM) *

he's going to either way lol. Zavec really didn't look bad though, the only problem with him was him not opening up more. Berto was there to be hit and got Berto to the body and head without too much trouble. i think the worst thing about this fight was the ref, Berto didn't even get warned about holding or laying on Zavec when they were on the ropes. then he separates them when Zavec is putting in work with Berto on the ropes because Berto had his hand behind Zavec's head?
EAlbian
I want to see more Zavek. I thought he was doing a good job, his punches seemed to be the ones snapping Bertos head back. This would have been a real interesting fight in the later rounds. I think Zavek deserves another HBO date. I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch. I'd love to see a Berto vs Maidana, someones getting stopped brutally.
Cshel86
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Sep 4 2011, 10:55 AM) *
I want to see more Zavek. I thought he was doing a good job, his punches seemed to be the ones snapping Bertos head back. This would have been a real interesting fight in the later rounds. I think Zavek deserves another HBO date. I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch. I'd love to see a Berto vs Maidana, someones getting stopped brutally.

+1
Zavec just didn't open up as much as he should've and we all saw that Berto was there to be hit. For some odd reason, I dont think too many are going to go in there balls to the wall like Ortiz did and pound this guy. I wouldn't mind seeing Zavec again on HBO.
gravytrain
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Sep 4 2011, 10:55 AM) *

i would like a rematch but it wont happen. Zavec said he wont hold his belt hostage, Berto will.
EAlbian
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Sep 4 2011, 02:41 PM) *
i would like a rematch but it wont happen. Zavec said he wont hold his belt hostage, Berto will.

I don't think we'll get an immediate rematch, but i wouldn't mind seeing them throw another fighter in there with Zavek and see if he can spark a following. I think the guy is good for boxing. He reminds me of Abraham with more speed and less devastating one punch power. He seemed extremely willing and if his face would have held up he would have been a night mare for Berto in the later rounds
Cshel86
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Sep 4 2011, 03:55 PM) *
I don't think we'll get an immediate rematch, but i wouldn't mind seeing them throw another fighter in there with Zavek and see if he can spark a following. I think the guy is good for boxing. He reminds me of Abraham with more speed and less devastating one punch power. He seemed extremely willing and if his face would have held up he would have been a night mare for Berto in the later rounds

That would've been the result if that eye wasn't so bad. Berto knew this as much as we did. That mouse under Berto's left eye was starting to swell, and Zavec had no problem with exchanging punches. I agree, he didn't have much power, but he was quick and slick enough to land them and snap Berto's egg head back a few times.
Cshel86
QUOTE (caneman @ Sep 3 2011, 11:59 PM) *

I know right? How fair is that? Guess he is exempt from losing a belt and having to work his way back to another one. Guess this is the best that they could give him, cause he blew his chance at a big fight with Floyd...whether Floyd is willing to admit his real reason for attending the fight or not.

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Sep 10 2011, 08:26 AM) *
Good fight that was about to develop into a special fight if Zavec's face could have held up.

Yeah, another special case of discouragement was brewing for Berto, if Zavec's face would've held up. Berto needs an assistant trainer, and drop his cotton-mouth brother and his dad who finds it useful to yell mumbo-jumbo between rounds.
duwdu
Someone please identify the guy on your right (Berto's left) in the photo, together with the two guys who appear to be his sons, and what they do? I see them in the ring quite a number times during introductions and post-fight interviews as they try to motivate fighters.

TIA.

P34c3

TheFonz
same ole berto
kingknockout
laugh.gif berto beat the heck out of this dude and ppl still want to see more of him.....

lol at all the comments before this fight counting out berto..

they gave berto this belt, i didnt even know who this dude was.....I knew this was going to be an easy win for berto. He was supposed to win this fight.
duwdu
QUOTE (duwdu @ Sep 10 2011, 08:09 PM) *
Someone please identify the guy on your right (Berto's left) in the photo, together with the two guys who appear to be his sons, and what they do? I see them in the ring quite a number times during introductions and post-fight interviews as they try to motivate fighters.

TIA.

P34c3

I can bet my life the photo appeared properly in my original post as intended, but somehow it became just a placeholder later.

here's another link to the screen capture... and I still need help to identify the characters in the photo. TIA.

Zaveck-Berto_post-fight_image

P34c3
gravytrain
QUOTE (duwdu @ Sep 11 2011, 07:15 PM) *
I can bet my life the photo appeared properly in my original post as intended, but somehow it became just a placeholder later.

here's another link to the screen capture... and I still need help to identify the characters in the photo. TIA.

Zaveck-Berto_post-fight_image

P34c3

Sam Watson and his sons.

QUOTE (kingknockout @ Sep 10 2011, 10:45 PM) *
laugh.gif berto beat the heck out of this dude and ppl still want to see more of him.....

lol at all the comments before this fight counting out berto..

they gave berto this belt, i didnt even know who this dude was.....I knew this was going to be an easy win for berto. He was supposed to win this fight.

he'd a close fight with him. fights like that are why Berto gets counted out.
duwdu
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Sep 11 2011, 07:32 PM) *
Sam Watson and his sons.

Thank you gravy.

P34c3
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.