Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The truth behind this picture?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
SENTRAL
I stumbled across this intriguing photograph today and wondered if any of you guys have any idea if this and the story which goes with it are fake or not?

http://www.grtleeds.co.uk/Culture/boxing.html

Does anyone have any additional info?
mgrover
no way thats a young ali. he seems fat and old.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (mgrover @ Sep 4 2011, 11:52 PM) *
no way thats a young ali. he seems fat and old.

I don't think there's a date on it. maybe he as fighting exhibitions later on his a career. THAT would make any knock down more plausible, but if it is true I'm really really surprised it hasn't come out by now.
bosco
Just because he's on the ground doesn't mean it was a knockdown...He could have slipped, been pushed down or if was an exhibition he could've been putting on a show to add drama...There's also no referee standing over him counting. A still picture can't tell the whole story but a video would've been better...lol
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (bosco @ Sep 4 2011, 01:44 PM) *
Just because he's on the ground doesn't mean it was a knockdown...He could have slipped, been pushed down or if was an exhibition he could've been putting on a show to add drama...There's also no referee standing over him counting. A still picture can't tell the whole story but a video would've been better...lol

Or the photo could be a fake. I'm no photo expert but im not convinced. I'm also just not buying that skinny pasty little pikey fucker dumped Ali on his arse
JONdaCON817
and you found this on a Gypsy site Sentral?...

anywho, Johnny Frankham was a British light-HW. 28(5)-11-1. fought from 1970-1976.

nothing a lil Google cant fix. laugh.gif

thehype
I think the better story is how did Sentral stumble across this gypsy website?

laugh.gif
mgrover
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 4 2011, 01:08 PM) *
I don't think there's a date on it. maybe he as fighting exhibitions later on his a career. THAT would make any knock down more plausible, but if it is true I'm really really surprised it hasn't come out by now.

it said, in that link at the time he was still being called Clay, but in that picture he seems a lot older and has put on quite a bit of weight.
sduck
Could definitely be fake. Not in the same weight class. Neither have each other on their resume. That looks like the same shorts Ali wore when he was knocked down by Frazier.
EAlbian
Ali was known for doing exhibitions, i think this one may have taken place at the Albert in '72. I'm pretty sure the knockdown wasn't legit, Ali was a showman and Frankham was far from a puncher. Probably a little sale for the crowd
JLUVBABY
this is what i found on the knock down pic... never was one to join oxrec site but if someone has an account maybe you can post the whole article... but this little bit should tell the story you guys want to know... i googled the knockdown for thos e who want clarifacation...

Boxing Record Archive • View topic - Johnny Frankham
boxrec.com › Board index › British & Irish - Cached - Block all boxrec.com results
Feb 7, 2010 – Sad news about 'Gypsy' John Frankham. read the following. Former British light heavyweight boxing champion who once floored legend Muhammed Ali has been jailed for trying ... I am glad he is paying for what he did - ripping off old age ... The Frankham knockdown was a stunt 'pulled' by Ali, by the way. ...
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 4 2011, 12:29 PM) *
I think the better story is how did Sentral stumble across this gypsy website?

laugh.gif

i said the same thing!!
daprofessor
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Sep 4 2011, 05:22 AM) *
I stumbled across this intriguing photograph today and wondered if any of you guys have any idea if this and the story which goes with it are fake or not?

http://www.grtleeds.co.uk/Culture/boxing.html

Does anyone have any additional info?

ppl do some amazing things with photoshop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.