Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can Carl Froch cause an upset.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
SENTRAL
Does Carl Froch stand any hope of upsetting super six favorite Andre Ward when the pair of them settle the long drawn out, but ultimately successful tournament next month.

Does Froch need to knock Ward out to gain a split decision?  Could Froch get a decision in the States seriously?  OK, let's assume we will not have to suffer another controversy next month because boxing can seriously do without that.

Who you got to win this fight and how are they going to achieve their victory?   My guess is the majority view points to a wide decision win for the favored Ward.  So how could Carl Froch cause an upset?

Andre Ward isn't always credited with the abundance of defensive nuances he actually has and he's very cute in the art of parrying.  Most guys assume Ward will win this fight by boxing smartly from the outside but I believe he can be equally effective on the inside too.  Looking at the Johnson-Froch fight I noticed how Glen was able to get inside merely by dropping a jab to the body whilst dipping his head to the left which enabled him to slip Carl's jab and get inside.  However, he nullified his own good work by repeatedly falling into a clinch resulting in the referee separating them.

Ward will not operate in such a manner when he gets inside and lets make no bones about it, Ward will definitely get inside.  Kessler proved a good fighter can get inside and work Carl and Ward can take it up another notch.  If Carl had a more commanding jab he could make things more difficult for Andre but the truth is, his jab is almost lazy which will enable Ward to parry easily and be inside without any effort.  Or Ward could simply shift and pop the right hand over the top, a shot Froch is far too susceptible to.

Ward might be vulnerable to the uppercut but Carl doesn't deliver his uppercut in the correct fashion to trouble Andre.  His uppercut is wild, almost crude and easy to spot.  Ward will be very aware of this shot and will have little problem avoiding or blocking the shot.  If Carl could tighten his uppercut and stiffen his jab he might have a chance of registering an unlikely upset but he won't do this, he perhaps isn't even capable of altering his shot technique at this stage of his career.  Lucien Bute is able to disguise his uppercut, throws it short and subtly.  Froch's team should at least attempt to emulate that punch because it could prove very rewarding and Andre will not be prepared for it.

However, in summary, Andre Ward is simply a class apart from Froch.  His ring IQ is well above anything Carl has seen or known before, his ability to box on the outside, to fight hard on the inside, his toughness, his almost Hopkinsesque ring smarts will take him to a wide and clear one sided unanimous points decision.

And then it's on to Bute.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Sep 4 2011, 06:26 AM) *
Does Carl Froch stand any hope of upsetting super six favorite Andre Ward when the pair of them settle the long drawn out, but ultimately successful tournament next month.

Does Froch need to knock Ward out to gain a split decision?  Could Froch get a decision in the States seriously?  OK, let's assume we will not have to suffer another controversy next month because boxing can seriously do without that.

Who you got to win this fight and how are they going to achieve their victory?   My guess is the majority view points to a wide decision win for the favored Ward.  So how could Carl Froch cause an upset?

Andre Ward isn't always credited with the abundance of defensive nuances he actually has and he's very cute in the art of parrying.  Most guys assume Ward will win this fight by boxing smartly from the outside but I believe he can be equally effective on the inside too.  Looking at the Johnson-Froch fight I noticed how Glen was able to get inside merely by dropping a jab to the body whilst dipping his head to the left which enabled him to slip Carl's jab and get inside.  However, he nullified his own good work by repeatedly falling into a clinch resulting in the referee separating them.

Ward will not operate in such a manner when he gets inside and lets make no bones about it, Ward will definitely get inside.  Kessler proved a good fighter can get inside and work Carl and Ward can take it up another notch.  If Carl had a more commanding jab he could make things more difficult for Andre but the truth is, his jab is almost lazy which will enable Ward to parry easily and be inside without any effort.  Or Ward could simply shift and pop the right hand over the top, a shot Froch is far too susceptible to.

Ward might be vulnerable to the uppercut but Carl doesn't deliver his uppercut in the correct fashion to trouble Andre.  His uppercut is wild, almost crude and easy to spot.  Ward will be very aware of this shot and will have little problem avoiding or blocking the shot.  If Carl could tighten his uppercut and stiffen his jab he might have a chance of registering an unlikely upset but he won't do this, he perhaps isn't even capable of altering his shot technique at this stage of his career.  Lucien Bute is able to disguise his uppercut, throws it short and subtly.  Froch's team should at least attempt to emulate that punch because it could prove very rewarding and Andre will not be prepared for it.

However, in summary, Andre Ward is simply a class apart from Froch.  His ring IQ is well above anything Carl has seen or known before, his ability to box on the outside, to fight hard on the inside, his toughness, his almost Hopkinsesque ring smarts will take him to a wide and clear one sided unanimous points decision.

Not a bad analysis at all and overall, agreed.
mgrover
am inbetween on froch, he doesn't seem to be in the same class as ward, but he acts so confident, one thing i don't like is comparing wins, or when he lost to kessler saying that it would of gone his way if he was fighting at home, making excuses. I think Ward will win around the 8th round either TKO or frochs corner will throw in the towel. he prides himself on being able to take punishment, but if he's taking without giving back they'll have no choice.
mgrover
am inbetween on froch, he doesn't seem to be in the same class as ward, but he acts so confident, one thing i don't like is comparing wins, or when he lost to kessler saying that it would of gone his way if he was fighting at home, making excuses. I think Ward will win around the 8th round either TKO or frochs corner will throw in the towel. he prides himself on being able to take punishment, but if he's taking without giving back they'll have no choice.
lloyd mayflower
I think Carl has showed in his last couple of fights that hes capable of following a gameplan. This is a different challenge to Abraham and Johnson. That said, we know if they come up with the right plan Froch can box to it. I certainly think given the way Froch's fights since the Pascal fight have gone we're going to see a close competitive and hopefully pretty entertaining scrap. Dont think its finishes early either way tho. Personally I hope Froch can do it. He has just started to get mainstream exposure over here and id like him to keep up a good run if only for the benefit of boxing. Plus for all Andre Ward actually seems like a decent guy and pretty humble, i,m not particularly keenm on his style and I feel he lets himself down witht that Soldier of God bullshit.
streetlion1
In one word....no! Ward is just simply too good for Froch....Andre Ward is the next great American fighter....not only do I think he beats Ward but I think he would destroy Bute.
Cshel86
Froch has proven to be able to take a punch (which Ward doesn't necessarily possess) and make it a fight, regardless. Ward executes the sweet science of boxing, but he just bores me to death. Froch has that decent power to change the trajectory of the fight, so he can cause an upset if he lands with confidence and accuracy. Dont believe this will be an easy one for Ward.
STEVENSKI
I think Ward is favourite for a reason but Froch is a high caliber opponent who always brings his all.

A fitting finale to a overly long tournament.
gravytrain
i see Ward making Froch box him all night. i think at this point Froch can steal some rounds but Ward's use of angles and feints will throw him off. i think Ward wins 8-4 but Froch will get a lot of respect for putting in his best effort and making no excuses.
Mean Mister Mustard
If Ward fights on the outside, then he's giving Froch a chance to make this close. Yes, Froch hits harder, but on the inside Ward has the advantage. Froch had pretty good defense; like most world class fighters you can't hit him clean with a combo, but in his case he's pretty easy to set up for at least 1 punch. Ward has a great ability to find 1 punch that lands, and he just keeps it up for 12 rounds. I think that on the outside Froch is going to enjoy his best moments, but Ward wins a decision.
D-MARV
Let's just remember that Ward wasn't suppose to get this far. This was a tournament set up for the Euro Fighters to shine. It backfired!
Seek
I'm a fan of both but I know Ward will dominate Froch. I don't see anyway Froch can win.
Big Slim Sweet
I expect Froch to make this a VERY dirty fight.
knowledge
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 4 2011, 11:22 PM) *
If Ward fights on the outside, then he's giving Froch a chance to make this close. Yes, Froch hits harder, but on the inside Ward has the advantage. Froch had pretty good defense; like most world class fighters you can't hit him clean with a combo, but in his case he's pretty easy to set up for at least 1 punch. Ward has a great ability to find 1 punch that lands, and he just keeps it up for 12 rounds. I think that on the outside Froch is going to enjoy his best moments, but Ward wins a decision.

ward could actually fight either outside or inside. he is to fast and strong for froch, and froch doesnt hit harder than ward! froch is actually a bum! andre dirrell whoop his butt easily and they robbed dirrell!! it wasnt even close. its called a home town robbery!! ward will expose his bumness, i promise you that! froch is either going to be knocked out or his face is going to be brutally beat up!!
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Sep 5 2011, 08:55 AM) *
Let's just remember that Ward wasn't suppose to get this far. This was a tournament set up for the Euro Fighters to shine. It backfired!

i dont agree d.. i had ward pegged to win this when it was signed.... not ward and dirrell like some... ward... tho in reality it would have been nice to see those two face off... loss to the fans... but i always had ward winning this...
mrchitown
Froch has some underrated skills and he fights every second of every round. Ward is going to have to do some serious work in this fight. I think for Froch to win he's going to have to make it a dirty fight as he did with Direll, and I don't believe he beat Diirell, I think Direll's work was good but the way he reacted to the rough tactics did him in and allowed that home cooked meal for Froch. I think Ward can outbox Froch but I'd think he'd consider some inside work to frustrate Froch and deter Froch mentally from executing his game plan. I see Ward winning a UD but Froch will make him work for the W.
daprofessor
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Sep 4 2011, 06:26 AM) *

solid post. there will be nothing controversial about ward dominating froch. froch doesn't possess the skills to make it close and he doesn't have the time or the coach to acquire them. the only controversial win in the tournament was froch's win over dirrell.
daprofessor
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Sep 6 2011, 01:40 AM) *
i dont agree d.. i had ward pegged to win this when it was signed.... not ward and dirrell like some... ward... tho in reality it would have been nice to see those two face off... loss to the fans... but i always had ward winning this...

same here. no one thought ward was going to get past kessler. i've seen enough of ward to know he was going to win this thing. i'm disappointed in dirrell's performance in the tournament.
streetlion1
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Sep 6 2011, 12:40 AM) *

Yeah....I agree I had Ward winning this from the beginning. There is just no one in the division who can match his skill set...He fights inside, outside, speed, underrated power and a style similar to the great Bernard Hopkins.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.