Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody ever see a fight in theaters? What's it like?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Eighty88Eight
I'm considering watching Ortiz Mayweather at the movie theater, but I don't wanna have to buy tickets and find that the volume is low and the audience is all quiet. I wanna see people going nuts, because I don't wanna have to be the only person shouting and shit.
Hotsauce
you should go

that mosley/mayweather fight was fucking crazy, especially the 2nd round.

BGv2.0
I LOVE it...and have easily swaped it for the bar/friends PPV party scene.

The picture qaulity is amazing and huge....the sound is great. NOW....from the times I've been...you might be put off by the reserved sense of the audience.

It seem s to me, the people that are willing to pay $20 to see a fight on the big screen, seem to be very educated fans of the sport....so the times I've been there is very little shit talking, no loud yelling.

It's not perfectly silent like watching a fight in Japan or anything...but it's for sure more reserved than the bar scene or at your buddy's house.

At the end of the day....it's cheaper than actually buying the PPV....it's a bigger view and sound...and you can eat theater popcorn...I LOVE it!

This one is going to be a loaded card too....the main event, plus Morales and even that little red head fucker with Gomez.

I cannot wait!

CDeezFoo
sweet question, i was wondering the same thing and think i will try it out. ill come back after the fight and let you all know what i think...another thing i was wondering is if they have security cameras in the theater because i definitely will be taking my other buddies with me...henny an red bull
bosco
I saw Mayweather vs Mosley at the theater and it wasn't a big crowd there. It was cool though. I probably was the loudest person there thanks to liquor in the 7up bottle I sneaked in. The sound was good too just like watching a movie.
daprofessor
last fight i saw in a theater was pryor/arguello. chicago amphitheater. i was a kid. it was amazing! closest thing to being at a real fight.
Jack 1000
Years ago I went to several fights downtown in the theaters and the place was electric!!!

Hagler-Hearns: The most vocally excited and insane crowd ever for a fight! I screamed so loud after that first round I had laryngitis for two days after!

Also saw Hagler-Duran, Hagler-Mugabi, and Leonard-Hagler on Closed-Circuit.

Could you have imagined what Corrales-Castillo I would have been like in a closed circuit setting!!!!!! HOLY SHIT!!!!!

Times have changed, and the crowds have gotten smaller because of the influx of PPV. My friend went to Mayweather-Marquez and there were only about 20 people there! It's not the same. But he was in a small town where people don't really care about boxing.

In the past-You had to pay about $30 for a closed circuit ticket. The recent showings for the last big Mayweather and Pacquaio fights, for which closed-circuit is being tried again have reduced prices at $15-$20. There some downsides to think about:

1.) There AFAIK is no liquor license at the theaters, so for many of my fight people, that's an immediate turn off.
2.) By the time you get food and other crap at the theater, that $15 ticket with just a few friends, equals the cost of the $60 PPV.
3.) You don't know who is going to be sitting next to you. My friend said that for Mayweather-Mosley, the people next to him were complete jerks.
4.) No bathroom just a few feet away.

Is the picture really better today? Even with the advent of HDTV technology on people's 40-60 inch screens? In years past, the picture at times was fuzzy. And I know of several instances where signal transmissions were lost on closed-circuit telecasts. They usually get them back right away.

I researched closed circuit locations in my state, and learned back in 1974 that the video part of Ali-Foreman went out from rounds 2-6, where fans only got a radio broadcast! UGGHHH! It came back on in round 7. Amazingly, the fans were OK and just listened to it like it was a radio transmission during the time it was out.

Keeping the above in mind, people should still try to go. I made a post of Mayweather-Ortiz locations a few weeks ago. Here is the link again:

http://www.fathomevents.com/sports/event/m...ther_ortiz.aspx

Jack

Eighty88Eight
i might just try it out, they're playing it a few blocks from me. thanks for the replies!
JONdaCON817
this Card should be electric so if your thinkin about tryin this thing out, THIS WOULD BE THE CARD TO DO SO. if this card doesnt cause atleast 1 uproar during the fight then you should never go watch a Fight on the big screen again. Im thinkin i might try this... as there are a couple theatres around that serve food and drinks (including alcohol).
caneman
My 1st PPV was closed circuit for Ali/Frazier 1 and it was great back than so it should only better now. I think I seen 4 or 5 total in the 70's!
SouthernFloydFan
[quote name='Eighty88Eight' date='Sep 6 2011, 12:14 PM' post='535153']
I'm considering watching Ortiz Mayweather at the movie theater, but I don't wanna have to buy tickets and find that the volume is low and the audience is all quiet. I wanna see people going nuts, because I don't wanna have to be the only person shouting and shit.
I have gone to all of Floyd's fights at the movies. It was really nice. It is loud and people engaging with each other.
It is a good experience.
JLUVBABY
i watched holyfield foreman at a theater... i wasa junior in highschool at the time... had a blast... i won the tickets on channel 12 answering a trivia question... question was... "who was the last man to beat geaorge foreman?"... at the time... jimmy young... won 2 tickets and my aunt dropped me and my cuzzin off... the only regret i have is not being old enough to buy beer... lol... i remember during the morrison fight (he was fighting yuri valin a russian heavy that was decent)... morrison was getting beat early and i told my cuzzin (had to speak loud cuzz of all the noise)... that morrison would lose to ray mercer if they fought... well this big ol cowboy setting in fron of me turned around and yelled at me bullshit and some other stuff i forget!!!! well he didnt know id made friends with this big crazy beer drinking hispanic dude next to me and he told the guy turn his ass around and leave the kid alone... it was a crazy night.. but i told the big cowboy IF the fight happens i hope i get to see you to tell you i told you so... i never forgot that... lmao... and when morrison did fight mercer...
till this day i think about that big cowboy and with i could throw this fight in his face... lmao... but anyway that is my one experience at the theater... i told my mother bout what happened and ive been ordering the fights ever since... lol... but hey it was a great time... if i wasnt ordering everything to watch in the comfort of my home id most def go to the theaters... meet some crazy people there...
Jack 1000
I was wondering if any forum members can comment on their experiences at the closed circuit theaters for any of the Mayweather or Pacquaio fights that have been shown? Is it similar to how it was back in the day when closed-circuit was king and PPV was not known? My guess is much smaller crowds:

1.) How much was your ticket?

2.) Number of people you went with to see the fight? Number of people in the theater?

3.) Did you talk to other people at the theater? Were they boxing fans, or just decided to catch the fight because they arrived late for their intended movie?

4.) Were people respectable?

5.) If you went to Mayweather-Ortiz, were people pissed at the controversial ending? I mean, sure they were, but I wonder if things might have been worse in a public place than people watching at home?

6.) What do you guys get for food and stuff? I know that most of the theaters don't have liqueur licenses?

7.) How was the sound and picture quality?

I saw the lists from Fatham Sports who distributes the closed-circuit events. I just think in several communities where people don't give a shit about boxing, I could see 7 people looking at a screen. In areas were say Manny is popular among Hispanic and Latin American States, I could see maybe the big 100 people crowd. I wonder how Floyd did in his theaters in Michigan?

Jack
FinitoElDinamita
I caught Floyd-Ortiz at the movie theatre for the first time and it was a decent experience... The viewing itself was great because of the huge screen but I was really annoyed by the crowd who were mostly casual observers and dudes who dont know shit about boxing..

This one black guy who sat in front of me kept screaming whenever Canelo threw a punch... Muthafucker kept hollering, " yea ! yea! , that's the guy... Canelo is the next big thing and he's the guy who's going to beat Floyd Mayweather "...... I didnt even bother in the beginning but he kept getting louder and louder and his statement got even more stupid so I told him to sit down and stfu... I told that foo, " ey you dont know shit about boxing.. stop talking nonsense "

I dont think im going to watch fights at the theatre ever again..... I dont like being surrounded by a bunch of novices when im watching a fight.. It really bugs me.

Jack 1000
QUOTE (FinitoElDinamita @ Sep 26 2011, 02:31 AM) *
I caught Floyd-Ortiz at the movie theater for the first time and it was a decent experience... The viewing itself was great because of the huge screen but I was really annoyed by the crowd who were mostly casual observers and dudes who don't know shit about boxing..

This one black guy who sat in front of me kept screaming whenever Canelo threw a punch... Muthafucker kept hollering, " yea ! yea! , that's the guy... Canelo is the next big thing and he's the guy who's going to beat Floyd Mayweather "...... I didnt even bother in the beginning but he kept getting louder and louder and his statement got even more stupid so I told him to sit down and stfu... I told that foo, " ey you don't know shit about boxing.. stop talking nonsense "

I don't think im going to watch fights at the theater ever again..... I don't like being surrounded by a bunch of novices when im watching a fight.. It really bugs me.

My friend who's a big guy went to Mayweather-Marquez and these guys next to him where really being shits. Just loud and obnoxious crap. He's a 230lb weight lifter, so he can probably afford to say STFU to some shit-heads. I'm a slender guy who would get turned into mincemeat if I pissed somebody off. I think I talked to someone several years ago who said some people got too loud and he just asked them nicely to calm down and they did.

That's one issue, you don't know who you're gonna be sitting next to. And even there are people like in movie theaters that talk though the whole fucking movie!

Maybe the bar/restaurant scene might be a little better, cuz you can sit with the people that you know, and they are all close boxing fans. I think the cover charge the night of the fight might be the same as a theater ticket, maybe a little less. The idea is for everyone to have a great time, and if someone's being a POS, that can put a damper on the evening.

Jack
BGv2.0
WOW...it's really amazing how different things can be in different locations, I've seen about 3 at our local theaters including May/Ortiz and everytime I've gone it's been nothing but very quite, respectful...seemingly knowledable folks in the crowd.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.