Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martirosyan Turns Down Angulo
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
salvador
Like most here, I've read way more about Martirosyan's greatness than I've actually seen in the ring. I don't have any idea what 3X his biggest purse actually was (the amount he supposedly turned down to fight Anuglo), but I would think that, at 25, the opportunity to fight an all action damaged contender on HBO would be a godsend for any serious prospect. And the idea that his manager somehow has the balls to say that he and Angulo are the two best fighters in the division (and so the fight needs to marinate) is hilarious.

On paper, Angulio-Martirosyan is a natural because both fighters are at an age where they need to make things happen. Angulo is in a great position to fight Cotto, Margarito, or Canelo (yes, I realize Golden Boy and Top Rank are at odds, but both promoters are going to see money in these fights). Martirosyan, on the other hand, isn't. He doesn't have a fan base and if he's half as good as he says he is, then why would Canelo or Cotto be in any hurry to give him a payday?

Obviously I have no idea about the details or the specific circumstances, but on paper Martirosyan looks like he's ducking Angulo in spite of being offered 3X his biggest paycheck and an opportunity to fight an action fighter on HBO - which is incredible given the amount of talking Martirosyan does.

I hope Fighthype will keep Martirosyan off the front page until he actually proves himself in the ring.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (salvador @ Sep 11 2011, 11:42 AM) *
Like most here, I've read way more about Martirosyan's greatness than I've actually seen in the ring. I don't have any idea what 3X his biggest purse actually was (the amount he supposedly turned down to fight Anuglo), but I would think that, at 25, the opportunity to fight an all action damaged contender on HBO would be a godsend for any serious prospect. And the idea that his manager somehow has the balls to say that he and Angulo are the two best fighters in the division (and so the fight needs to marinate) is hilarious.

On paper, Angulio-Martirosyan is a natural because both fighters are at an age where they need to make things happen. Angulo is in a great position to fight Cotto, Margarito, or Canelo (yes, I realize Golden Boy and Top Rank are at odds, but both promoters are going to see money in these fights). Martirosyan, on the other hand, isn't. He doesn't have a fan base and if he's half as good as he says he is, then why would Canelo or Cotto be in any hurry to give him a payday?

Obviously I have no idea about the details or the specific circumstances, but on paper Martirosyan looks like he's ducking Angulo in spite of being offered 3X his biggest paycheck and an opportunity to fight an action fighter on HBO - which is incredible given the amount of talking Martirosyan does.

I hope Fighthype will keep Martirosyan off the front page until he actually proves himself in the ring.

Good post, agree that Matirosyan barks a hell of a lot more than he bites. Fuck him, I hope he signs to fight Angulo and gets his shit pushed in
Cheesey1
QUOTE (salvador @ Sep 11 2011, 07:42 AM) *

Agreed, good post. I'm interested to see who Angulo fights now.
BlueMercury
I keep reading that Angulo fights James Kirkland in Mexico next.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (BlueMercury @ Sep 12 2011, 02:36 AM) *
I keep reading that Angulo fights James Kirkland in Mexico next.

Wow, that fight would be amazing as long as it lasts!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 12 2011, 06:43 PM) *
Wow, that fight would be amazing as long as it lasts!

It will last as long as it takes to shatter Kirkland's glass jaw.
daprofessor
vanes is on and off....sometimes he looks promising...other times he looks like crap. he's supposedly trained by freddie roach, but he's at the back of a very long line of champions and prospects. i thought he looked like crap in his fight against ouma. i actually thought he lost...but he has looked decent in other match ups. i believe he and angulo have sparred in the past. a sharp vanes should be able to outbox angulo...but if he is anything less than 100% ready angulo will eat him up.

also, if the fight is in mexico (angulo has visa problems) i can't say i blame vanes for turning it down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.