Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Larry Merchant
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
xxxxxx
Larry Merchant is a bitter old jealous hater who needs to hang up the mic. Here we have a fighter in Floyd who busts his ass for 8-9 weeks to take on a fighter that was considered dangerous and the WBC Champ. He goes into the fight doing well and Victor has a mental error and head butts Floyd Clearly on Purpose. The action continues and Floyd hits the guy with a 1-2 that stops Ortiz. Then after that at the post fight interview where it's suppose to be Floyds time, Larry completely spoils it Again for Floyd. Even during the fight Larry's comments were completely aganist Floyd pointing out the negatives. I can understand why Floyd lost his cool with Larry. Larry needs to go. The FNF crew is better than Larry.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Sep 18 2011, 02:17 AM) *
Larry Merchant is a bitter old jealous hater who needs to hang up the mic. Here we have a fighter in Floyd who busts his ass for 8-9 weeks to take on a fighter that was considered dangerous and the WBC Champ. He goes into the fight doing well and Victor has a mental error and head butts Floyd Clearly on Purpose. The action continues and Floyd hits the guy with a 1-2 that stops Ortiz. Then after that at the post fight interview where it's suppose to be Floyds time, Larry completely spoils it Again for Floyd. Even during the fight Larry's comments were completely aganist Floyd pointing out the negatives. I can understand why Floyd lost his cool with Larry. Larry needs to go. The FNF crew is better than Larry.

Remember its Larry's job to go in there and get the best interview possible. I think he accomplished his goal. The fact that we're talking about it, says it all.
kidbazooka1
Naw Larry was cool like mentioned thats all part of his job he asked what he was suppsoed to ask and Floyd was just being Floyd.
Method
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Sep 18 2011, 02:21 AM) *
Remember its Larry's job to go in there and get the best interview possible. I think he accomplished his goal. The fact that we're talking about it, says it all.

I have no problem w how Mayweather retaliated on Ortiz.

I did think he went apeshit on Larry for no real reason. I mean, it had me thinking WWF all the way.
Eighty88Eight
i love larry merchant despite not always agreeing with him. i don't know why everyone is all incredulous. it was a good night of boxing, floyd scored a legit KO, and now on to the next business at hand on Nov 12.
caneman

lmfao!
sduck
Floyd flippin out on Merchant was uncalled for. He was probably still upset about the fight.
checkleft
I can't agree.. hbo time and time again disrespects the fighters that actually provide their income. Ive been waiting for someone to go off on these guys. After a fight a man is either at his highest/lowest/most frustrated state of the night and to constantly hear the hbo guys ask disrespectful to them at this point is completely out of line. I don't think any other sport attempts to take away from their athletes accomplishments as much as boxing does. People need to respect the fighters, they are the reason they get a pay check.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 18 2011, 02:26 AM) *

I did think he went apeshit on Larry for no real reason. I mean, it had me thinking WWF all the way.

I like what Larry said at the end of thebroadcast. he thought Floy went apeshit because he though the manny questions were coming next. Maybe Larry has a point.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (sduck @ Sep 18 2011, 02:32 AM) *
Floyd flippin out on Merchant was uncalled for. He was probably still upset about the fight.

Doubt he's upset about the fight. He won and he got paid a lot.
Eighty88Eight
leonard ellerbe is a fuckin faggot
sduck
I don't remember Merchant saying anything right then that should of pissed him off. He was probably still upset about the headbutt, and was aware of the coming critiquing of how the fight ended.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 18 2011, 01:34 AM) *
I can't agree.. hbo time and time again disrespects the fighters that actually provide their income. Ive been waiting for someone to go off on these guys. After a fight a man is either at his highest/lowest/most frustrated state of the night and to constantly hear the hbo guys ask disrespectful to them at this point is completely out of line. I don't think any other sport attempts to take away from their athletes accomplishments as much as boxing does. People need to respect the fighters, they are the reason they get a pay check.

That was exactly my point. Why discredit a fighter after all the hard work. Floyd DIDNT cut the interview short because Merchant was going to ask about Pacman. That is just ignorant talk. He gets asked that question time and time again. He answers it the same way. To fight the best you got to take the test. It doesnt get any more simple than that. He cut the interview short because it was only gonna get worse. Larry wasnt gonna show any respect to Floyd. Cant believe people cant see that.
checkleft
Me either, hbo does it all the time. I know on a couple of occasions I was surprised the fighters didn't punch max or Larry(who let's face it, is either drunk most of the time, senile, or both).
gravytrain
QUOTE (caneman @ Sep 18 2011, 02:31 AM) *
lmfao!

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/vide...s0fAYJ6BVjmq9k1

Merchant is the man.
Method
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Sep 18 2011, 02:47 AM) *

The greatest picture of ALL TIME!!!!!!!!
mrchitown
Merchant is a character to me. In really don't care for his commentary all that much these days but the dialog between him and Floyd was entertaining. But HBO does have a habit of ridiculing fighters and expecting them to sit back and take it and that is not right
Lil-lightsout
Now that was funny!!! laugh.gif
gravytrain
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 18 2011, 02:49 AM) *
The greatest picture of ALL TIME!!!!!!!!

the best thing was Ellerbe telling Merchant "you heard him!"
BGv2.0
I cannot believe # 5000 and my CW status has do with the REAL F'N Entertainment of the night! Larry Merchant telling Floyd he would kick his ass if he was 50 years younger! That was pure F'N funny and worth the price of admission! lol clapping.gif

And for those trying to somehow make excuses for Floyd's BS tirade.....you need to really rethink your stance. These guys get paid millions and tough interviews after fights....for sure in fights where questions do exist.... are part of the job.

HBO does not treat their fighters in any disrespectful way...they do however, ask the hard questions no matter if it has to do with a questionable outcome, an upcoming opponnent or their performance in the ring.

Hard interviews, tough questions and expected answers are part of the job....I have no sympathy for ANY boxer in relation to that....it's part of the game always has been always will be.

Maybe Floyd can handpick Lerry for his next fight! lol
PColeman28
I like watching merchant and floyd after his fights, merchant always gives floyd a hard time after fights but that's merchant he should have kept his cool but i'm sure floyd was irritated with the whole 4th round situation, but that wasn't the first time floyd got irritated with merchant here's an interview after his 37th win lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIINQ_bcGEs
Roi

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Roi @ Sep 18 2011, 07:50 PM) *

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is a PPV I'd buy in a heartbeat. Larry late in a Rocky-style knockout. I can actually see his corner giving him a whiskey in between rounds laugh.gif
jlupi
controversial ending. god forbid floyd be asked any questions about it.
Snoop
The interview alone was almost worth the entire PPV. I was laughing my ass off while the Mayweather and Merchant were going at it; for a minute I thought Floyd was about to punch Merchant in the mouth. It was even better when Merchant said he still probably couldn't kick Floyd's ass 50 years ago, but he'd try. That was actually a pretty witty response.
Imperius3

Larry Merchant 50 years ago.

Floyd wouldn't fight that man unless he underwent full drug testing first.

Merchant would test inconclusive a number of times and have to retest because his high blood-alcohol level may not give a clear reading on at least some of those.
HazConvictedFelonMane
Larry Merchant is ok in my book. I think he's entertaining, cold, and brutally honest. Sometimes he can appear to go extra hard on the hate but, it's all good. It's a part of the game. Larry did get a tad bit disrespectful. He just cut him off in mid sentence, he threw in the 'talk to the hand' and I'm sure Mayweather didn't appreciate that. Larry has been doing a lot of hating on Floyd. When he fought Mosley, Merchant said he didn't see any power shots. He only saw Floyd beating Shane to the punch. When Shane got his head pushed back from a laser of a straight right hand, Larry had to give it up and say, 'now those are good shots'. Victor had what he got coming and so did Larry Merchant.
Mean Mister Mustard
Merchant is known for asking the questions everyone wants to hear, and he can be brutally honest. I don't know why some people hate that, especially Mayweather fans, who claim to like Mayweather because he too is supposedly an honest guy.

By the way, Merchant should have probably kept his cool and remain professional but god damn that some funny shit. Poor Floyd got confronted by an old man.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 18 2011, 01:26 AM) *

That was 16 years of built of frustration. Larry has been on May's ass from day one
Method
QUOTE (sduck @ Sep 18 2011, 02:40 AM) *
I don't remember Merchant saying anything right then that should of pissed him off. He was probably still upset about the headbutt, and was aware of the coming critiquing of how the fight ended.

Because he wasnt saying anything to piss him off. He was actually in the process of giving him props, "You were in control of the fight..."...and then Floyd just went off about no fair shake. It was completely out of left field. Almost as if it was scripted? Would Floyd prefer to be interviewed by Jim Gray? Larry handled it great.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Sep 18 2011, 10:44 AM) *
That was 16 years of built of frustration. Larry has been on May's ass from day one

Actually he had already snapped at him in 2006 after the Baldomir fight. In this one, Mayweather was still pissed about the headram and lost his cool.

Another funny detail was Ellerbe loyally standing by his man and telling Merchant "You heard him" lol.
Method
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 18 2011, 04:03 AM) *
This is a PPV I'd buy in a heartbeat. Larry late in a Rocky-style knockout. I can actually see his corner giving him a whiskey in between rounds laugh.gif

Yeah, Larry's chief second in between rounds, "Pass me the bottle that I prepared...the single malt!"
Method
QUOTE (PColeman28 @ Sep 18 2011, 03:28 AM) *
...but that's merchant he should have kept his cool

Merchant DID keep his cool. Bro, Floyd is a little guy, and he was bigger than Merchant and in his face. Merchant is fucking 80. Larry reacted only at the tail end, but Floyd was all up in his grill like it was 24/7 Ep 1 - Act II.
PColeman28
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Sep 18 2011, 07:44 AM) *

hell yea lol
JONdaCON817
50 is a big number.. if he was 50 yrs younger? Floyd would have to be 50 years younger too to get whooped by Larry.. Hell, Larry would prolly still be 50!! lmao
Cshel86
If there's anybody else in the world that Merchant hates, other than Floyd, it would be none other than Zab Judah. He gave Floyd the best interview after that fight and also gave him several accolades throughout the fight.
wolterb
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 18 2011, 05:55 PM) *
If there's anybody else in the world that Merchant hates, other than Floyd, it would be none other than Zab Judah. He gave Floyd the best interview after that fight and also gave him several accolades throughout the fight.

lol yea i thought it was ironic that floyd blew up on larry after this fight. i mean, i understand why. but, if there was ever a fight where larry didn't shit on mayweather...it was last night's! he even seemed satisfied with the ending for gods sakes!

i bet merchant was pissed cause he put forward some effort towards appreciating aspects of floyds skill last night...and ended up bein told, in front of everyone who bought the ppv, that he should be fired.

Snoop
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 18 2011, 03:04 PM) *
Merchant DID keep his cool. Bro, Floyd is a little guy, and he was bigger than Merchant and in his face. Merchant is fucking 80. Larry reacted only at the tail end, but Floyd was all up in his grill like it was 24/7 Ep 1 - Act II.

Merchant definitely kept his cool, evidenced by the post-post-fight interview comment about not really thinking he could have kicked his ass 50 years ago, but he would have tried it. That shit was classic.

Merchant even gave Floyd his props, declaring him the "winner" of the whole debacle and even calling his performance "outstanding" immediately after it first happened. I think Floyd was just frustrated with the whole situation; I'm sure that's not how he wanted to win and he just went off on anyone reminding him of that.
Jack 1000
What would Teddy Atlas have done if Floyd had said. "You should be fired! You don't know shit about boxing!" Now that would have been classic!!!!

Jack
gravytrain
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 18 2011, 06:41 PM) *
What would Teddy Atlas have done if Floyd had said. "You should be fired! You don't know shit about boxing!" Now that would have been classic!!!!

Jack

fuck Atlas, i wish RJJ would have been in the ring. he would have slapped the fire out of Mayweather and Ellerbe.
TheFonz
If Atlas would would have been there instead of Merchant there would have been a riot in the arena, lol.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 18 2011, 06:41 PM) *

Jack

Atlas is a bit thuggish, if you ask me. Im sure he would've said more than Merchant did at that time, and it would've continued somewhere in the dressing room area or in the parking lot. Atlas is the type of guy to use a weapon or be arrested for trying to use one, especially if he pulled a gun on Mike Tyson back in the day.
Cshel86
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Sep 18 2011, 06:49 PM) *
fuck Atlas, i wish RJJ would have been in the ring. he would have slapped the fire out of Mayweather and Ellerbe.

You must not know much about Teddy Atlas. Pretty hot-tempered dude, and Im sure retaliation would've lingered in his mind waaaay after the fact. RJJ wouldn't have been dumb enough to even go there with Floyd, because he knows how the sport goes...in and out of the ring. Merchant stood alone with that one, but he wouldn't be Merchant if he didn't say most of the things that he says, lol. Im pretty sure Kellerman would've gotten owned again, though he isn't cotton candy himself.
gravytrain
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 18 2011, 07:12 PM) *
You must not know much about Teddy Atlas. Pretty hot-tempered dude, and Im sure retaliation would've lingered in his mind waaaay after the fact. RJJ wouldn't have been dumb enough to even go there with Floyd, because he knows how the sport goes...in and out of the ring. Merchant stood alone with that one, but he wouldn't be Merchant if he didn't say most of the things that he says, lol. Im pretty sure Kellerman would've gotten owned again, though he isn't cotton candy himself.

Atlas could think about it but RJJ's country ass would have had a Montell Griffin II flash back.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 18 2011, 06:12 PM) *

Well, Max I think is a Mayweather groupie, and with most interviews is not confrontational. He would probably just let Floyd talk. He has obvious favorable biases toward slick boxers over action brawlers. Max is more, "I'm just happy to be here." and will follow the trend of what HBO wants him to do. The same with Lamply and the pom-pom shaking for the fighters under HBO Contract. But I do give Lamps credit when a decision is bad, Jim is honest and direct about it.

Jim should stop trying to be a PR man for the network and their fighters, and do what he does so greatly. Bringing even more excitement to already exciting fights! He wasn't a pom-pom shaker for fighters, until Roy Jones came to the network. Than with Oscar and Floyd it got even worse, especially with Oscar. If Jim Lampley was gay, he'd would be sleeping with Oscar every night! LOL!

Jack
Big Slim Sweet
LMFAO. Merchant 'sonned' Mayweather with that 50 years ago comment.
Method
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 18 2011, 09:29 PM) *
If Jim Lampley was gay, he'd would be sleeping with Oscar every night! LOL!

IF Jim Lampley was gay?!?!?
Spyder
QUOTE (caneman @ Sep 18 2011, 02:31 AM) *

"WTF did this motherfucker just say to me?!"
Cshel86
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Sep 18 2011, 07:58 PM) *
Atlas could think about it but RJJ's country ass would have had a Montell Griffin II flash back.

Hahahaha!!! Classic shit! Good ol' RJJ!
Cshel86
QUOTE (Spyder @ Sep 18 2011, 10:28 PM) *
"WTF did this motherfucker just say to me?!"

Priceless!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.