Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PPV BOXING
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
True-Boxing-Fan
After that shit we witnessed last night, it has me starting to think twice about my love for the sport and I'm mad as hell. But in order for me to feel better. I just wanted to know from some of y'all, and I'm not talking about the floydiot new comers here, since yall only know all things floyd and nothing else, when is the last time you were happy that you purchased a PPV fight. A PPV fight that was worth your hard earned money? Because after last night, I aint buying anymore. I'm just asking this question to maybe remind me it ain't all bad in boxing, it's only these last 5-10 years are what's wrong. What do you say?
pimpfighterROQ
hm PPV fights that was ACTUALLY worth buying for entertainment...

Cotto vs Mosley

Lennox vs Klitschko

Pacquiao vs Cotto

Pacquiao vs Margarito (even though heavily one sided. It was worth seeing Pacquiao fighting one handed when he got hit with a body shot lol)

hmm I think I'll buy the Pacquiao vs Marquez 3 and the Margarito vs Cotto 2...any other fights aren't worth your $70
Cshel86
Pissing and moaning as usual no2.gif I'll wait to hear you ranting after you order the Pacquiao/Marquez fight.
SouthernFloydFan
How can we be sooooo upset when for years we all were paying $50 to see
Mike Tyson full well knowing that the fights might end in 1 round? And trust
me when I say not all of his fights had the type of undercards that we saw last night.
I paid my $64.99 gladly last night.

Would I have liked to see a different outcome being a Mayweather fan, yes.
But anything can happen in the sport so you pay to support your favorite athlete
and move on.
Snoop
WTF? Am I the only one that thought this PPV was worth it?

Vargas vs Lopez: a classic action packed fight between a boxer and a stalker that wouldn't give up. We saw some resilience from Lopez, perseverance from Vargas, and more importantly, the fight was judged correctly.

Morales vs Cano: a young prospect stepping up the a legend and getting spanked but losing no face in the process. Great action from both sides, classic textbook rights from El Terrible, and plenty of blood.

Alvarez vs Gomez: the contender going after the champ and doing a good job of it in the beginning, but the getting overwhelmed by a barrage of power combos. Might have been stopped early, but a foregone conclusion coming 5 or 6 seconds later.

Mayweather vs Ortiz: great display of experience vs youth. Mayweather was putting on a great show before all the fouling happened, and even though it was a shitty way of ending a fight, I found it pretty damn entertaining. And Merchant gave us some of the best post-interview material I've seen in a while.

All those fights could have been headliners on B.A.D or HBO Championship boxing. Tell me, when was the last time that the ENTIRE card delivered?
wolterb
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 18 2011, 01:13 PM) *
Pissing and moaning as usual no2.gif I'll wait to hear you ranting after you order the Pacquiao/Marquez fight.

last night was great and i'm happy i bought it.
wolterb
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 18 2011, 01:13 PM) *

last night was great and i'm happy i bought it.
checkleft
Most of the fights were pretty good.. especially the vargas one. The mayweather fight had some action while it lasted. Here you are complaining for a good night of boxing when people wasted good money on pacquiao clottey pacquiao mosley I think people payed for haye vladimir in Europe. And hello did you watch the morales maidana ppv? That ppv was definitely worth every penny.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Snoop @ Sep 18 2011, 02:24 PM) *
WTF? Am I the only one that thought this PPV was worth it?

Vargas vs Lopez: a classic action packed fight between a boxer and a stalker that wouldn't give up. We saw some resilience from Lopez, perseverance from Vargas, and more importantly, the fight was judged correctly.

Morales vs Cano: a young prospect stepping up the a legend and getting spanked but losing no face in the process. Great action from both sides, classic textbook rights from El Terrible, and plenty of blood.

Alvarez vs Gomez: the contender going after the champ and doing a good job of it in the beginning, but the getting overwhelmed by a barrage of power combos. Might have been stopped early, but a foregone conclusion coming 5 or 6 seconds later.

Mayweather vs Ortiz: great display of experience vs youth. Mayweather was putting on a great show before all the fouling happened, and even though it was a shitty way of ending a fight, I found it pretty damn entertaining. And Merchant gave us some of the best post-interview material I've seen in a while.

All those fights could have been headliners on B.A.D or HBO Championship boxing. Tell me, when was the last time that the ENTIRE card delivered?

+1
Vargas/Lopez: I saw another Cotto/Margarito happening...Vargas better be glad it was only 10 rounds.

Morales/Cano: I wanted El Terrible to run through him, but he played it smart. Cano's face just wouldn't hold up, but punches were the result of the damage, so Morales did his thing.

Alvarez/Gomez: Gomez gave it what he had, but if he had more power, then Im sure Canelo wouldn't have stood there in a shoulder-roll position and let him fire off. Canelo's punches always have pop them 'em, but I still wasn't impressed with his performance last night. Gomez should've taken a knee, but maybe "the Mexican" in him kicked in and told him otherwise. Hot wife though!

Mayweather/Ortiz: Im through talking about the ending, but it was a decent scrap while it lasted. Ortiz was in uncharted territory, and it was starting to show. The anthems were great, and the Mexican chick singing the Mexican National Anthem...whew!!! Goodness! Jasmine Villegas was pelasing to the eye too! Damn!

I got my money's worth, and all of these fights were HBO headliner worthy!
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Sep 18 2011, 11:23 AM) *
After that shit we witnessed last night, it has me starting to think twice about my love for the sport and I'm mad as hell. But in order for me to feel better. I just wanted to know from some of y'all, and I'm not talking about the floydiot new comers here, since yall only know all things floyd and nothing else, when is the last time you were happy that you purchased a PPV fight. A PPV fight that was worth your hard earned money? Because after last night, I aint buying anymore. I'm just asking this question to maybe remind me it ain't all bad in boxing, it's only these last 5-10 years are what's wrong. What do you say?

AND YOUR NAME IS "TRUE BOXING FAN" LMAO fuck.gif
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Sep 18 2011, 12:52 PM) *
AND YOUR NAME IS "TRUE BOXING FAN" LMAO fuck.gif

Because I'm a true boxing fan means I have to accept these bullshit PPV'S and be happy about it? I would feel the same way if it wasn't Floyd. If Cotto or Donaire or Hopkins won the way floyd won i would be just as pissed. The fighters i admire i always want then to win the right way and not the way Floyd won last night. We all know Floyd was on his way to a great victory last night and for him to win that way, that takes the luster off the win. You Floyd gusslers should be disappointed he won that way, but instead yall ride his nuts no matter what. If it was on free tv then I wouldn't have much to complain about because it was my fault I watched it. But I paid for this shit and it's why there is tons and tons of people that are pissed. You Floyd gusslers are in the minor when it comes to being satisfied with last nights fight. Y'all may have infiltrated these boards but that dont mean shit.
gravytrain
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Sep 18 2011, 04:15 PM) *
Because I'm a true boxing fan means I have to accept these bullshit PPV'S and be happy about? I would feel the same way if it wasn't Floyd. If Cotto or Donaire or Hopkins won the way floyd won i would be just as pissed. The fighters i admire i always want then to win the right way and not the way Floyd won last night. We all know Floyd was on his way to a great victory last night and for him to win that way that take the luster off the win. You Floyd gusslers should be disappointed he won that way, but instead yall ride his nuts no matter what. If it was on free tv then I wouldn't have much to complain about because it was my fault I watched it. But I paid for this shit and it's why there is tons and tons of people that are pissed. You Floyd gusslers are in the minor when it comes to being satisfied with last nights fight. Y'all may have infiltrated these boards but that dont mean shit.

i agree about that. i was real disappointed at first. my stream was the HBO telecast and you didn't hear Cortez call time in on the fight or wave them to fight so it looked like Cortez stepped back to talk to someone ringside but counted Ortiz out after he got hit. the stream was a lot less than the PPV but i felt like i wasted money on that. the main event left me more interested in the argument between Mayweather and Merchant than anything. shit like this is why i stream instead of getting PPVs, the only thing buying a PPV does is put money in the pockets of people that just want to get paid and don't care about the sport.
wolterb
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Sep 18 2011, 04:15 PM) *
Because I'm a true boxing fan means I have to accept these bullshit PPV'S and be happy about it? I would feel the same way if it wasn't Floyd. If Cotto or Donaire or Hopkins won the way floyd won i would be just as pissed. The fighters i admire i always want then to win the right way and not the way Floyd won last night. We all know Floyd was on his way to a great victory last night and for him to win that way, that takes the luster off the win. You Floyd gusslers should be disappointed he won that way, but instead yall ride his nuts no matter what. If it was on free tv then I wouldn't have much to complain about because it was my fault I watched it. But I paid for this shit and it's why there is tons and tons of people that are pissed. You Floyd gusslers are in the minor when it comes to being satisfied with last nights fight. Y'all may have infiltrated these boards but that dont mean shit.

yer just a complainer.

and we all dont know floyd was on his way to a "great" victory.

the outcome of the fight was not at all sealed - neither dude had done much damage to eachother
and i agree that a lot of the luster got taken off the win. i def wanted to see em' keep goin. but im not gonna bitch about the money i spent. its fuckin' boxing. if you were a true fan you'd know what kinda chance you take by purchasing any sort of ppv in this fringe-sport.

and boxing has always been a fringe-sport. anyone who says otherwise is DELUSIONAL
Cshel86
QUOTE (wolterb @ Sep 18 2011, 04:44 PM) *
yer just a complainer.

and we all dont know floyd was on his way to a "great" victory.

the outcome of the fight was not at all sealed - neither dude had done much damage to eachother
and i agree that a lot of the luster got taken off the win. i def wanted to see em' keep goin. but im not gonna bitch about the money i spent. its fuckin' boxing. if you were a true fan you'd know what kinda chance you take by purchasing any sort of ppv in this fringe-sport.

and boxing has always been a fringe-sport. anyone who says otherwise is DELUSIONAL

Thank you...you beat me to it. You dont even have to be a fan of combat sports to know that whenever you purchase something that is "non-refunadable", you need to be prepared to suck up the outcome of the purchase. That may have been his last $60 or $70, but who's problem is that? The complainers need to take their whining out on their cable providers, but oh yeah, the disclaimer stated that it was "non-refundable"...translation...be happy with your purchase, or go and f*ck yourself. There's nothing he can do about it, so he brings his pissing and moaning to this board, smh. Im nursing yet another hangover this week, and now this sh!t? Lucky us, huh?
Jack 1000
I don't do PPV's anymore, because they are over-priced. The main point being is that I can't afford to be ripped off anymore.

I read about the round-by-round stuff on here. Watch the replay a week later, and if the fight is good to great, get a custom DVD from a dear friend whom I have known for twenty years. That way, I can build up a library of fights based on customizing what I want, and know that I won't get ripped off if the live event doesn't deliver.

When we went to Triple Play for Cable, Internet, and Phone Service, plus HBO and Showtime, along with Sports Pass, our family got a $185 cable bill.

A $60 PPV is just pushing that bill up too high. Even for one night.

Some cable systems and U-Verse wanted $70 for the HD Feed!

When I just had digital cable, I would order the PPV's if the fights were good on paper at $50 or less a shot. However, the value at $60 or more is no longer there. You get a bad ending, you might as well take that $60 and flush it down the toilet. But that's the risk you take with a live-call event.

However, when does the cost get too much to take that risk $60? $70? $80. Could Mayweather-Pacquiao be the first $100 PPV? PPV represents less and less of a lasting value for boxing fans. It's too hard on the wallet. For $60 or more, I want some tangible item that is going to produce quality and value. And $60 to yell at a TV screen, has to be my cut-off. If you don't have a price cut-off, even as a strong boxing fan. where do you draw the line for purchasing PPV's?

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 18 2011, 06:09 PM) *
I don't do PPV's anymore, because they are over-priced. The main point being is that I can't afford to be ripped off anymore.

I read about the round-by-round stuff on here. Watch the replay a week later, and if the fight is good to great, get a custom DVD from a dear friend whom I have known for twenty years. That way, I can build up a library of fights based on customizing what I want, and know that I won't get ripped off if the live event doesn't deliver.

When we went to Triple Play for Cable, Internet, and Phone Service, plus HBO and Showtime, along with Sports Pass, our family got a $185 cable bill.

A $60 PPV is just pushing that bill up too high. Even for one night.

Some cable systems and U-Verse wanted $70 for the HD Feed!

When I just had digital cable, I would order the PPV's if the fights were good on paper at $50 or less a shot. However, the value at $60 or more is no longer there. You get a bad ending, you might as well take that $60 and flush it down the toilet. But that's the risk you take with a live-call event.

However, when does the cost get too much to take that risk $60? $70? $80. Could Mayweather-Pacquiao be the first $100 PPV? PPV represents less and less of a lasting value for boxing fans. It's too hard on the wallet. For $60 or more, I want some tangible item that is going to produce quality and value. And $60 to yell at a TV screen, has to be my cut-off. If you don't have a price cut-off, even as a strong boxing fan. where do you draw the line for purchasing PPV's?

Jack

Yeah I hear you on those PPV prices. Those $50, $60, or $70 charges can and will add up on your bill, especially of your bill is high anyway. I just pick and choose which ones I want to order in advance and save up to pay for it on fight night instead of letting them add up on my bill. Hell, if I go to a sports bar to watch it, my bill will easily hit about $50 or $60 anyway (food and drinks), especially if it's a group of us...and I always seem to drink like a fish when I go to bars anyway, smh.

Drinking and being courteous always seems to catch up with me when the bill hits the table...oh yeah, let's not forget about the tip. If I go to somebody's house to watch the fight, then there's always a high possibility that there wont be enough food, the food sucks, or there isn't enough alcohol. Some dudes are so cheap that they say "BYOB" or they may have warm beer there...no deal. To avoid it all, I save up and order it, and make sure I have plenty of hot food and cold drinks (Im a helluva host).

Other than, to avoid these PPVs adding up, I just enjoy (try to) B.A.D. (which I pay for anyway) and call it a night. Im sure that they wil try to jack up the price of the Mayweather/Pac fight, but Im also sure that people will pay for it as well.
Mean Mister Mustard
For the past 3 years, HBO had been going easy on the PPV's but it seems like they are back in force again. Hopkins-Dawson should not be on PPV.

Worst of all, Showtime had two PPV's this year as well.

Last night's PPV was good though, but the 60 dollar price tag was too much.
Snoop
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 19 2011, 12:13 AM) *
For the past 3 years, HBO had been going easy on the PPV's but it seems like they are back in force again. Hopkins-Dawson should not be on PPV.

Worst of all, Showtime had two PPV's this year as well.

Last night's PPV was good though, but the 60 dollar price tag was too much.

Cotto/Margarito, maybe. Hopkins/Dawson is a fucking travesty. Stylewise, that fight is going to be a snoozefest. Last night's was worth it to me, even with the $60 price tag. It was better than all their recent PPV cards combined.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Snoop @ Sep 18 2011, 07:33 PM) *
Cotto/Margarito, maybe. Hopkins/Dawson is a fucking travesty. Stylewise, that fight is going to be a snoozefest. Last night's was worth it to me, even with the $60 price tag. It was better than all their recent PPV cards combined.

Yes it was very good. And the ending to the main even was exciting in a way as well.

By the way, if Rios is in the Margarito-Cotto undercard, then they can charge 100$ for all I care.
daprofessor
ppv is not good for the sport period. it limits viewership. the fights that are being sold as ppv's these days were less than what we got on network tv in the early 80's. i have not paid for a ppv since cotto/malignaggi and that was because i wanted to see a personal friends fight on the undercard. the last ppv i bought before that was bhop/joppy. last nights fights were great....ortiz/floyd included...despite the "controversial" ending. i think the spin doctors at hbo kill the ppv's more than anything with their always negative commentary. i watched bob sheridans commentary on the same fight and it was very enjoyable.
Snoop
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 19 2011, 03:18 AM) *
ppv is not good for the sport period. it limits viewership. the fights that are being sold as ppv's these days were less than what we got on network tv in the early 80's. i have not paid for a ppv since cotto/malignaggi and that was because i wanted to see a personal friends fight on the undercard. the last ppv i bought before that was bhop/joppy. last nights fights were great....ortiz/floyd included...despite the "controversial" ending. i think the spin doctors at hbo kill the ppv's more than anything with their always negative commentary. i watched bob sheridans commentary on the same fight and it was very enjoyable.

The emergence of PPV's as a whole is killing boxing. Yes I agree with that sentiment. But last night's card was one of the better cards I've seen in a while. Not really one that warrants another "I'm never ordering another PPV boxing card again" type thread.
Jack 1000
Some dudes are so cheap that they say "BYOB" or they may have warm beer there...no deal

I got a beer story about warm beer. We had a family friend who was a lush with drinking beer, and he would bring over like one or two cases and never put it in the refrigerator! UGGHHH! Awful! It's like drinking piss!!!!

Jack
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (Snoop @ Sep 18 2011, 09:15 PM) *
The emergence of PPV's as a whole is killing boxing. Yes I agree with that sentiment. But last night's card was one of the better cards I've seen in a while. Not really one that warrants another "I'm never ordering another PPV boxing card again" type thread.

So PPV boxing is killing boxing as a whole but in your mind this past weekend fights were a plus? Really? Have you talked to any fringe fan that watched it who came away happy and satisfied? I thought the undercard fights were good and everything but those fights only don't make for a successful card as a whole, especially if the main event laid a big turd. Only the die hard fans are truly concerned with the undercard. It's the main event that sells everything. How could anybody be satisfied with the main event? It's crazy and for the one who eat, sleep, and drink mayweather how could you be satisfied with his win? Don't you want to see him win legitimately? I know his KO punch was legal but in all honesty it was a legal cheap shot KO. I'd hate and be mad if the fighters I admire won like that. But to each his own.

Anyway, for you Snoop, if Pacquiao and mayweather traded places last Saturday and Pacman won the way mayweather did, you would be screaming to high heaven about how BS the fight was and you wouldn't be praising the undercard and saying how good the card was. Just be real for once Snoop.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 19 2011, 12:30 AM) *
I got a beer story about warm beer. We had a family friend who was a lush with drinking beer, and he would bring over like one or two cases and never put it in the refrigerator! UGGHHH! Awful! It's like drinking piss!!!!

Jack

Hahahaha!!! What an ass he was! Thats a major violation, almost as bad as somebody sitting on the cooler and looking at you crazy when you try to grab a beer, smh. Warm beer is the quickest way to get a headache!
Snoop
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Sep 19 2011, 04:34 PM) *
So PPV boxing is killing boxing as a whole but in your mind this past weekend fights were a plus? Really?

Yes, because given that we are already in the era of PPVs, good PPV cards are better than bad ones, no?

Have you talked to any fringe fan that watched it who came away happy and satisfied? I thought the undercard fights were good and everything but those fights only don't make for a successful card as a whole, especially if the main event laid a big turd. Only the die hard fans are truly concerned with the undercard.It's the main event that sells everything. How could anybody be satisfied with the main event?

So by your own admission, only die hard fans care about the undercards and consider them in the equation for what makes a quality PPV. Okay, well I guess I'm a die hard fan then. Since you seem to have your panties in such a bunch about the main event and therefore are calling the entire PPV trash, you, by your own definition, are a fringe fan. Wait, I thought you were a "True Boxing Fan".

laugh.gif

It's crazy and for the one who eat, sleep, and drink mayweather how could you be satisfied with his win? Don't you want to see him win legitimately? I know his KO punch was legal but in all honesty it was a legal cheap shot KO. I'd hate and be mad if the fighters I admire won like that. But to each his own.

Tell me how I "eat, sleep, and drink mayweather." Please also show me where I said I am satisfied with his win? In fact, one of the only things I had to say about the fight was:

This pretty much sums it up for me. It cheapen[ed] what would have been a great performance.

found here: http://www.fighthype.com/community/index.p...7612&st=270

Anyway, for you Snoop, if Pacquiao and mayweather traded places last Saturday and Pacman won the way mayweather, you would be screaming to high heaven about how BS the fight was and you wouldn't be praising the undercard and say how good the card was. Just be real for once Snoop.

laugh.gif

Right. You have no idea what I would be saying about a PPV chalked full of talent on the undercard with Pacquiao headlining. If I have in the past, please show me. Otherwise, quit throwing around accusations based on what you think you know about me rather than what you actually know about me.
Cshel86
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Sep 19 2011, 11:34 AM) *
So PPV boxing is killing boxing as a whole but in your mind this past weekend fights were a plus? Really? Have you talked to any fringe fan that watched it who came away happy and satisfied? I thought the undercard fights were good and everything but those fights only don't make for a successful card as a whole, especially if the main event laid a big turd. Only the die hard fans are truly concerned with the undercard. It's the main event that sells everything. How could anybody be satisfied with the main event? It's crazy and for the one who eat, sleep, and drink mayweather how could you be satisfied with his win? Don't you want to see him win legitimately? I know his KO punch was legal but in all honesty it was a legal cheap shot KO. I'd hate and be mad if the fighters I admire won like that. But to each his own.

Anyway, for you Snoop, if Pacquiao and mayweather traded places last Saturday and Pacman won the way mayweather did, you would be screaming to high heaven about how BS the fight was and you wouldn't be praising the undercard and saying how good the card was. Just be real for once Snoop.

If you are true fan of boxing and you know that anything could happen, then why complain about it? The main event could've ended by way of a cut from a punch, headbutt, or whatever. Hell, Somebody could've got disqualified, somebody could've quit, it could've been a boring UD, a robbery on the cards, or just a complete freakin' travesty. Im sure you've watched enough fights to know that there's always a possibility of such events, so why not keep that in mind before ordering it? Hell, look at how the Gamboa/De Leon fight ended.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.