Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FLOYD MAYWEATHER DID NOTHING WRONG
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
SouthernFloydFan
FLOYD MAYWEATHER DID NOTHING WRONG
By Stephen "Breadman" Edwards

Floyd Mayweather Jr. did absolutely nothing wrong in his knockout victory over Victor Ortiz. Everybody who has ever watched a boxing match can recite the specific instruction to protect yourself at all times. The question the critics should be asking is, why did Victor Ortiz declare war, then immediately try to initiate a peace treaty.

That's exactly what he did by purposely head butting Mayweather, then hugging and kissing him to apologize afterwards. I warned everybody about Ortiz's behavior at the weigh in, namely the kissing and hugging. Allowing Mayweather to choke and dig his fingers in his face was a sign of mental weakness. A good friend of mine and well respected figure in boxing, told me I gave too much credence to the weigh-in. But no one can tell me what my eyes see. I saw an immature, glad to be hear, weak minded kid about to go on the BIG stage.

Ortiz is half pit bull, half mutt. He was better off headbutting Mayweather, accepting the point deduction and continue to fight like an animal. He was having his best round and the sight of Mayweather's blood could have gave him confidence. But in typical mutt fashion, he asked for forgiveness. Then he engaged in another hug. How long is Mayweather supposed to hug this man?

Mayweather punched Shane Mosley and Arturo Gatti both in the face for not protecting themselves at all times. Ortiz should have known better. I believe Ortiz found a way to quit again. That's what weak minded fighters do. They find clever ways to pack it in. Zab Judah just did it against Amir Khan. Ortiz was not knocked out by the 1st blow, but he kept his hands down. He accepted his fate. Afterwards he had that same dumb smile on his face, he had at the weigh in and after the Maidana fight. He was not upset at all. He was relieved it was over.

I will never support another Victor Ortiz fight and I wouldn't care if he ever fought again. People pay thousands of dollars for lodge and travel to see satisfying endings to big events. The ending was not controversial in my opinion but it was not satisfying either. This is the second time Ortiz has done this to us. But yet somehow Mayweather gets the blame. I may be a fool for something nice, but I won't be a fool for the same thing twice.

HBO's broadcast team should also be ashamed of themselves. Jim Lampley should have went after Ortiz full force. Instead he makes a comparison between Mayweather and Sugar Ray Robinson and Sugar Ray Leonard. I have said many times that Mayweather is not as good as either man, but the comparison was unwarranted. Then Larry Marchant gets in the ring and attacks Mayweather some more. Merchant has public beefs with Bernard Hopkins, Roy Jones, Pernell Whitaker, George Foreman and now Floyd Mayweather. I respect Larry Merchant but some will say that it's no conicidence that Merchant keeps having these feuds with this many outstanding black fighters. I am not going to go there yet, but I will say it's just not a good look. Merchant and Lamply were both less critical and much nicer to the guilty Ortiz.

I know Mayweather has done plenty of wrong in front of all of our eyes. But in this case, he is an innocent man. He out smarted a guy who blatantly fouled him first and scored a legal knockout. The only controversy in this fight, was Joe Cortez was out of position and he did not see the punches land. So he was counting over a man, when he didn't know whether Ortiz was punched or kicked.

I hope we do not see a rematch. Four rounds is all we need to see. Mayweather is the better fighter and more importantly he is stronger mentally. Critics, please be fair with Mayweather. Take all of your personal feelings out of the equation and look at the turn of events. Ortiz got just what he deserved and wanted. Yes you didn't misread my statement. Ortiz wanted to lose, when he realized he couldn't win. The headbutt was desperation, the hugging was capitulation, and walking to Mayweather with his hands down was submission.

Before this fight, a well respected coach whom I will not name. Told me he watched Ortiz, drop his hands and allow Amir Khan to reel off about 20 unanswered punches to his face. The referee stopped the fight. History sure does have a way of repeating itself.
checkleft
Robert Garcia said that in an article. No secret
Method
Great points by Bread. I saw him comment about the weigh in in his Saturday morning mail bag and he was dead on. Ortiz shoulda popped Mayweather in the mouth. He didn't. It was telling.

I said it after the Face Off. Ortiz is in way over his head.
PColeman28
Yea, he was in over his head...if he would have kept his cool he would have realized that he was still in the fight and might have won rd 4 with 8 rounds left to fight....i think he just wanted out
HazConvictedFelonMane
Are you trying to write 'articles' in the threads? Whatever, it was a nice read full of valid points. While the ending may have been sketchy, the method of victory is what the people wanted to see. Manny Pacquiao was criticized in his last fight for being too friendly. They were touching gloves and hugging. Of course I did not buy that fight. If I would have, I wouldn't want to see the hugging. I paid for violence. If I wanted to see 2 guys hugging, I'd go to a self help meeting. Floyd promised us a KO, and he delivered. Khan would get knocked out too.
BoxingStill#1
The punch wasn't premature, in fact it was thrown at the perfect time. I don't understand how anyone would turn it ugly, then expect Floyed not to retaliate...

IMO,.. he was on his way out anyway. 2 more rounds and we would have seen the same result.

That flurry and headbutt was his last hurrah,..

I agree, FLOYED DID NOTHING WRONG...

We could argue about unsportsman like it was, but after a deliberate foul (admitted by ortiz)...I wouldn't expect any less...

A rematch is pointless, Floyed took what little heart Ortiz had.

Its a shame given the talent Ortiz has..
PColeman28
Ortiz has good talent and he look good to me physically, but no heart whatsoever for a guy who supposedly was raising himself for pretty much his whole life he sure doesn't have a heart like someone who's gone through hell his whole life....
JONdaCON817
i dont wanna see Ortiz fight again unless its someone who he juss as weak minded... i wouldnt mind watching Ortiz fight Khan tho!!
Cheesey1
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Sep 18 2011, 03:50 PM) *
i dont wanna see Ortiz fight again unless its someone who he juss as weak minded... i wouldnt mind watching Ortiz fight Khan tho!!

I agree, that would be good, Khan vs. Ortiz. If Khan beats Ortiz, then I think they could make some ridiculously massive PPV numbers for Mayweather vs. Khan
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Sep 18 2011, 04:35 PM) *
I agree, that would be good, Khan vs. Ortiz. If Khan beats Ortiz, then I think they could make some ridiculously massive PPV numbers for Mayweather vs. Khan

We already know how this will go. Khan and Ortiz will have it out (great fight), then Khan will be dumb enough to call Mayweather out, as if he truly accomplished something. Then Mayweather will say "You just beat my leftovers, I already knocked Ortiz out", end of story. I see a Khan/Ortiz and a Ortiz/Alvarez fight coming out of this, but for Khan to use a victory over Ortiz to get to Mayweather is senseless. Mayweather/Alvarez could be next. Floyd may start a short streak of fighting younger inexperienced fighters and landing big paydays, just to convince the public that he's challenging himself by fighting young popular fighters.
kidbazooka1
Naw Khan will get KTFO if he fights Ortiz. I'll put $$$ on that.

Floyd was beating Ortiz but he never had him in trouble. Ortiz was warming up before the sucker punch he had some moments and IMO was gonna be a lil more competitve but lose a UD.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Sep 18 2011, 05:24 PM) *
Naw Khan will get KTFO if he fights Ortiz. I'll put $$$ on that.

Floyd was beating Ortiz but he never had him in trouble. Ortiz was warming up before the sucker punch he had some moments and IMO was gonna be a lil more competitve but lose a UD.

The reason I don't completely agree with this is because I do believe Floyed was gonna knock him out. No real fatigue had set in yet. It was gonna get ugly, but floyed was gonna home in. Early in the 4th he dominated with a combination. ...

Point is, .. that outcome was inevitable
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (SouthernFloydFan @ Sep 18 2011, 12:19 PM) *
I believe Ortiz found a way to quit again. That's what weak minded fighters do. They find clever ways to pack it in. Zab Judah just did it against Amir Khan. Ortiz was not knocked out by the 1st blow, but he kept his hands down. He accepted his fate. Afterwards he had that same dumb smile on his face, he had at the weigh in and after the Maidana fight. He was not upset at all. He was relieved it was over.

Ortiz got just what he deserved and wanted. Yes you didn't misread my statement. Ortiz wanted to lose, when he realized he couldn't win. The headbutt was desperation, the hugging was capitulation, and walking to Mayweather with his hands down was submission.

I agree with these two points specifically. Ortiz was looking for a way out, and found it.

This whole build up he acted more like he was on American Idol than preparing for the fight of his life.
mrchitown
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Sep 18 2011, 07:01 PM) *
The reason I don't completely agree with this is because I do believe Floyed was gonna knock him out. No real fatigue had set in yet. It was gonna get ugly, but floyed was gonna home in. Early in the 4th he dominated with a combination. ...

Point is, .. that outcome was inevitable

I totally agree. Floyd had Victor in trouble in the 3rd round I believe it was. Victor wasn't hurt but the accumulation of those clean right hands were clearly taking it's toll on Victor. I think Floyd would've taken him out sighing the next 2 or 3 rounds. Ortiz is a young, strong fighter but he's there to be hit and he needs his opponent to come at him ala Berto. He'll be back and I hope he can get his issues together because he clearly gave up in the fight last night
BigMoneySlayer
Bottom line Ortiz should've had his guard up, knowing he just head butted Mayweather on purpose and He could've reacted after Mayweather landed that first punch

Ortiz didn't do his homework on Floyd..Floyd don't like to do too much talking during the fight especially after being intentionally head butted..look at the Mosley fight..Mosley was trying to talk to Floyd with his hands down during the fight and Floyd jabbed him..common sense tell you to have your guard up after you foul someone..cause you know they probably wanna get you back
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.