Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Was the Ortiz fight fixed?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
pimpfighterROQ
The ending of the Mayweather vs Ortiz fight..a lot of people (including me) are left with that bitter taste if that fight was scripted or what not.

-Even though Mayweather was dominating from the start, Ortiz wasn't doing that bad at all. He was losing but certainly putting up a fight.

-Out of character headbutts from Victor. Of course it's inevitable with how southpaws fight an orthodox fighter and the aggressiveness of Ortiz. (Look at Berto fight). That shit was way obvious, he went NASA on Mayweather lol.

-Ortiz was looking at Mayweather when first punch landed...he then looked at Cortez; second punch landed. Isn't it body instinct for you to defend yourself instantly after that first punch? Also he was still looking at the ref as if exposing his chin for Mayweather. If you look at that 1-2 punch...it wasn't chained together (ex. Mosley fight, when Mayweather cracked him while talking). Mayweather hesitated for a second while Ortiz was looking at the ref.

Ortiz went down and couldn't get up...when he did, he had a smile in his face. Like embarrased/glad it was over smile. Berto punched him quite hard and he still got up, shaky but got up. (Idk..i guess it's different if you don't see the punch).

His reaction post fight bein all happy and shit after saying all that jazz about beating him and giving him his first loss. I wonder what his coach was thinking of him after that loss.

Bottomline...it looked scripted. Such a shame, Mayweather was really dominating the fight. I wanted him to bruise Ortiz up real bad with those right hands...

What do you guys think?
pimpfighterROQ
Makes me think of that one round knockout of Marquez...like a way of Mayweather saying to Pacquiao...You'll be exactly handled like this.

Don't even get me started on Pacquiao vs Clottey....
wolterb
i dont think it was

but the way mayweather hit ortiz while the ref was lookin away was classic wwf lol
CrazyBuffalO
I don't think the fight was scripted.

However, I do believe that the headbutt from Ortiz was PLANNED way before the fight started. Maybe someone taught him to do that (Someone close to him who wants Floyd to lose). That's the only way to potentially open up a cut on Floyd's face. And even if he gets penalized for it (assuming that their plan worked on cutting Floyd and the fight went on), he would have only been penalized for points in that one round, whereas Floyd would be continuing the rest of the rounds with a bleeding face which could have affected his vision and rendered him handicapped for the remaining rounds of the fight.

Ortiz was just a puppet. Someone's pulling the strings for him in that fight. I really think someone told him to do that butt so they could sit back and watch Floyd's defeat. Maybe it's DLH or something. My first suspect is DLH.

But sorry for them it just didn't work out. Floyd can't be beat.
Snoop
Scripted as in they BOTH planned for Ortiz to headbutt and then Floyd knock him out with a 1-2 after an apology or scripted as in Ortiz was looking for a way out of the fight and had no intention of continuing the second he found one? No to the first one and yes to the second. The sequence of events would be unnecessarily complicated if they were trying to fix a fight.
HazConvictedFelonMane
For the pactards and the sour grapes, the fight was fixed. For the people that have a functioning brain and some common boxing knowledge, it went down the way it's supposed to. This was a 12 round championship prize fight that involved one of the best fighters that ever laced up. I bet nobody would've said anything about it being fixed if it had been Ortiz who scored the KO. Stop being a bunch of cry babies and accept reality.
pimpfighterROQ
Im not a pactard nor questioning Mayweather's knockout win. But it all seemed to be over too fast in a very controversial end. Lets not forget he was handpicked by Mayweather himself. By all means it was a legal shot. But for Ortiz, fOr it to end that way. Im sour graping on my $70 for hd ppv on direct tv though

Oh well the undercard was awesome. Erik Morales fight was amazing.
pimpfighterROQ
Also to add in there...Miss Jackson (Mayweather's big chinned but very hot fiance) placed a bet on Mayweather by knockout on the 4th round. Hmmm wonder why?? What a great guess
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Snoop @ Sep 19 2011, 10:36 AM) *
Scripted as in they BOTH planned for Ortiz to headbutt and then Floyd knock him out with a 1-2 after an apology or scripted as in Ortiz was looking for a way out of the fight and had no intention of continuing the second he found one? No to the first one and yes to the second. The sequence of events would be unnecessarily complicated if they were trying to fix a fight.

Exactly Snoop.

Ortiz is a very weak-minded individual who didn't really care whether he won or lost. He was just happy to be there this whole time.

No way a guy with that kind of heart and desire was ever going to be the one to beat PBF.
MrChampagne123
1 Ortiz been headbutting his entire career look at his prior footage. 2. Ortiz wasnt GAME for this fight he was getting outclassed all the way. Remember 2nd rond Ortiz through a head aswell and in the first rnd he did it again. I believe he broke down decided to throw it again. Either way I belive Ortiz wanted a way out of there. he was breaking down mentally in the 3rd rnd clear as day. Ortiz got what he deserveds he doesnt deserve a rematch he needs to give Berto a rematch.
Snoop
QUOTE (MrChampagne123 @ Sep 19 2011, 06:57 PM) *
1 Ortiz been headbutting his entire career look at his prior footage. 2. Ortiz wasnt GAME for this fight he was getting outclassed all the way. Remember 2nd rond Ortiz through a head aswell and in the first rnd he did it again. I believe he broke down decided to throw it again. Either way I belive Ortiz wanted a way out of there. he was breaking down mentally in the 3rd rnd clear as day. Ortiz got what he deserveds he doesnt deserve a rematch he needs to give Berto a rematch.

I don't know about previous fights, but Ortiz was definitely gouging his head into Floyd's quite a bit in the previous rounds. The 4th round I think Ortiz got caught in the moment and just lost his cool though.

I still don't think the entire thing was premeditated by both sides; there just seems to be so many more simplier ways to fix a fight.

And in addition to Berto, who Ortiz really needs to rematch is Maidana.
PColeman28
QUOTE (pimpfighterROQ @ Sep 19 2011, 07:56 AM) *
The ending of the Mayweather vs Ortiz fight..a lot of people (including me) are left with that bitter taste if that fight was scripted or what not.

-Even though Mayweather was dominating from the start, Ortiz wasn't doing that bad at all. He was losing but certainly putting up a fight.

-Out of character headbutts from Victor. Of course it's inevitable with how southpaws fight an orthodox fighter and the aggressiveness of Ortiz. (Look at Berto fight). That shit was way obvious, he went NASA on Mayweather lol.

-Ortiz was looking at Mayweather when first punch landed...he then looked at Cortez; second punch landed. Isn't it body instinct for you to defend yourself instantly after that first punch? Also he was still looking at the ref as if exposing his chin for Mayweather. If you look at that 1-2 punch...it wasn't chained together (ex. Mosley fight, when Mayweather cracked him while talking). Mayweather hesitated for a second while Ortiz was looking at the ref.

Ortiz went down and couldn't get up...when he did, he had a smile in his face. Like embarrased/glad it was over smile. Berto punched him quite hard and he still got up, shaky but got up. (Idk..i guess it's different if you don't see the punch).

His reaction post fight bein all happy and shit after saying all that jazz about beating him and giving him his first loss. I wonder what his coach was thinking of him after that loss.

Bottomline...it looked scripted. Such a shame, Mayweather was really dominating the fight. I wanted him to bruise Ortiz up real bad with those right hands...

What do you guys think?

I don't think it was fixed i would say that it's possible ortiz purposely let mayweather hit him for a couple reasons maybe he was letting may get payback (like when your a kid and you break your friends toy and you give him yours to make up for it) or he simply was trying to get a point deducted from mayweather so the round could be even or he simply just didn't want to fight anymore because in his mind he was gonna be down 40-36 minus the poing 40-35 so making up that 5 point difference would have taken one hell of an effort(assuming he didn't score a knockout) to bounce back from, and he gave up and that was a way out....i would agree that he could have defended himself easily multiple times may put his hands up before the left hook, he threw the left hook, paused and threw a right hand...so ortiz purposely decided not to fight back. I believe may waited to throw right because he most likely wasn't sure if ortiz would try and counter/respond to the hook, once he realized he didn't respond to the hook,he hit him again...IMO definitely not fix though because the fight wouldn't have lasted that long and mayweather wouldn't have pounded ortiz eye the way he did....Ortiz is simply a quitter...point blank period *cough *cough Maidana fight
bosco
This is an idiotic thread. Of course it wasn't fixed. Ortiz was just getting outclassed and lost it mentally. Ortiz looked to the ref for help and got popped. Floyd did right by 2 piecing him because when you launch your head into someones face like that multiple times like Ortiz did you were intending to cut him or hurt him pretty bad. You could tell how much Ortiz was trying to apologize that he had no more fight in him anyway. He was submissive. His aggression wasn't gonna be there anymore so it would've been a matter of time anyway.
BGv2.0
I don't think it was fixed....the only thing I do not get is how a punch that he was simply walking through the entire fight suddenly put him out for the 10 count....

I did think that was odd.

I mean, I suppose the argument that he never saw it coming could be a plausable explanation....but it still seemed odd to me.

bosco
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Sep 19 2011, 02:52 PM) *
I don't think it was fixed....the only thing I do not get is how a punch that he was simply walking through the entire fight suddenly put him out for the 10 count....

I did think that was odd.

I mean, I suppose the argument that he never saw it coming could be a plausable explanation....but it still seemed odd to me.

because he was braced for the earlier right hands but if your not braced and your chin gets pushed into you chest its lights out.
wolterb
QUOTE (bosco @ Sep 19 2011, 04:01 PM) *
because he was braced for the earlier right hands but if your not braced and your chin gets pushed into you chest its lights out.

+1
AlynK
i dont think it was fixed but i do think that Ortiz has character issues inside the ring. When he gets frustrated he's more apt to fight dirty or find another way out (like quitting altogether). I don't think he planned to get knocked out or anything but he was definitely starting to give up. He was probably looking for Cortez to deduct a point from Mayweather. He was just desperate for some help.

Jack 1000
QUOTE (Snoop @ Sep 19 2011, 10:36 AM) *
Scripted as in they BOTH planned for Ortiz to head-butt and then Floyd knock him out with a 1-2 after an apology or scripted as in Ortiz was looking for a way out of the fight and had no intention of continuing the second he found one? No to the first one and yes to the second. The sequence of events would be unnecessarily complicated if they were trying to fix a fight.

But why would Ortiz want an out after being competitive in the fight? Floyd was certainly winning, but it was not total domination. I had Floyd up 2-1. Not only that, he was successful with the blatant head-butt to Floyd's mouth and face, and than your just gonna quit? Doesn't make sense to me. He wasn't getting pummeled. He had not been down multiple times in a two sided fight. Why give up the biggest fight of his life? I think he COULD have found a way out if he was taking a beating later in the fight. However, there was still too much competitiveness for the fight to be fixed?

And Floyd's "sucker punch" was that fixed too? No evidence of that, We should be talking about the real problem. Cortez's loss of control after the point was taken away from Victor. The smiling thing is just Ortiz. He learned that from Delahoya. Delahoya could be at a funeral and sit there grinning. LOL!

In a fix, you have to find someone responsible for it, and collect evidence to prosecute their ass. In this fight, I don't see any evidence of fixing. I see evidence of a ref who is losing it due to age.

Jack
checkleft
[quote name='bosco' date='Sep 19 2011, 03:01 PM' post='537646']

That's 100

Idk what ortiz was thinking.. Floyd had already put his hands up when vic tried to hug him. But I do think Floyd wasn't trying to knock him out, I think he just wanted payback. But it is what it is
jlupi
yeah it was fixed. Ask Jesse Ventura, sheesh
HazConvictedFelonMane
QUOTE (pimpfighterROQ @ Sep 19 2011, 12:44 PM) *
Im not a pactard nor questioning Mayweather's knockout win. But it all seemed to be over too fast in a very controversial end. Lets not forget he was handpicked by Mayweather himself. By all means it was a legal shot. But for Ortiz, fOr it to end that way. Im sour graping on my $70 for hd ppv on direct tv though

Oh well the undercard was awesome. Erik Morales fight was amazing.

Well, that's an issue you'll have to address at your next self help meeting. You and the gang can have a big circle hug and complain about how the fight was over too soon. If the fight goes the distance with no KO, he's a feather fist. If it ends early, it's still not good enough. Sheesh. Sour graping is for girls who only got 1:45 worth of sex before their mate ejaculated. All of the fights on the undercard blew to me. The highlight of the Morales fight was how Cano (who was being called 'Canoe' by the announcers) left the ring looking like the joker. Why so serious? Direct TV sucks too.
Prov0
the kid lost it felt stupid for the headbutt it was on purpose and looked for a way out i thought he could have gotten up but he probably felt stupid and for those who say he was inthe fight.Are u serious lol .everytime he would throw he missed and Floyd would shake his head No. Ortiz had no shot and if it didnt end like that Floyd would have been pissed and whooped his ass anyways
sduck
I watched it with my brother, and it looked very fixed as it happened. The face expressions and reactions of everyone was just a bit off... My brother still thinks it's 100% fixed, but re-looking at it, it could of been real, just happened so fast, made it look very bizarre.
bosco
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 19 2011, 04:00 PM) *
But why would Ortiz want an out after being competitive in the fight? Floyd was certainly winning, but it was not total domination. I had Floyd up 2-1. Not only that, he was successful with the blatant head-butt to Floyd's mouth and face, and than your just gonna quit? Doesn't make sense to me. He wasn't getting pummeled. He had not been down multiple times in a two sided fight. Why give up the biggest fight of his life? I think he COULD have found a way out if he was taking a beating later in the fight. However, there was still too much competitiveness for the fight to be fixed?

And Floyd's "sucker punch" was that fixed too? No evidence of that, We should be talking about the real problem. Cortez's loss of control after the point was taken away from Victor. The smiling thing is just Ortiz. He learned that from Delahoya. Delahoya could be at a funeral and sit there grinning. LOL!

In a fix, you have to find someone responsible for it, and collect evidence to prosecute their ass. In this fight, I don't see any evidence of fixing. I see evidence of a ref who is losing it due to age.

Jack

I don't think Cortez lost control of the fight...He deducted a point like he was supposed and he told the fighters to continue...he sorta hesitated to come from between the fighters but he did and then he was looking at the time keeper and said "time in" but in a question type fashion to make sure they had started the clock back up and then Floyd tattooed Ortiz with a 3-2 combo. I wouldn't say Cortez lost control of the fight..he was just trying to make sure the time keeper restarted the clock and then boom.
Prov0
the kid lost it felt stupid for the headbutt it was on purpose and looked for a way out i thought he could have gotten up but he probably felt stupid and for those who say he was inthe fight.Are u serious lol .everytime he would throw he missed and Floyd would shake his head No. Ortiz had no shot and if it didnt end like that Floyd would have been pissed and whooped his ass anyways
mrchitown
Wasn't nothing about that fight fixed, I strongly believe Ortiz could've gotten up but he was defeated mentally. He found his way out of the fight
Spyder
Ortiz was smiling, and thanked Floyd after getting "sucker punched"...then Floyd ended the post-fight interview when asked about it...fixed ain't the word for that.

SET UP.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
This shit was scripted for sure, I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd had rung up Vince McMahon and asked to borrow a couple of scriptwriters from the WWE to put it all together.

There were hints of this earlier when Floyd said in an interview on a late night talk show leading up to the fight that he considered WWE a real sport and that he had broken Big Show's nose for real. I'm sure Floyd was prepared to take some stitches in the lip in exchange for all the coverage that this fight got thus leading to a lucrative rematch and another excuse to stay away from the GOAT!

Shoot even Larry Merchant was probably paid a couple of bucks to do his part. WWE fake shit!
Jack 1000
In my view,

I am about 50 times more suspicious of Russell Mora's conduct in Mares-Agbeko concerning a fix, than in Mayweather-Ortiz.

Jack
Snoop
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 19 2011, 09:00 PM) *

Jack

Valid point. I was having a conversation with a friend that thought the same thing. Definitely possible. But there are two things we can agree on:

1) Shitty ending to what could have been a great fight.

2) Joe Cortez fucking sucks.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Snoop @ Sep 20 2011, 01:13 AM) *
Valid point. I was having a conversation with a friend that thought the same thing. Definitely possible. But there are two things we can agree on:

1) Shitty ending to what could have been a great fight.

2) Joe Cortez fucking sucks.

+1!

Jack
lloyd mayflower
Its blatantly obvious that this was a fix. When I cheated in tests at school, even at a young age I knew you didnt run home with an A+. That shit is just as unrealistic as a legit KO4 for Floyd "Pillows" Mayweather. I mean really, give us some credit.

It wasnt a good idea tho, not least for JMM's health, because Manny may have took it easy on him since hes a good guy, but now he will go out and outdo Floyd, which spells crushing first round KO for Juan Manuel.

Of course, we will then hear that Manny has just beaten another one of Floyds leftovers.
gonefishing
Floyd Mayweather I think is a racist as well. Victor Ortiz is dirty and he pulls that cheap shot. When it was Zab Judah that hit him cheaply, he went down and let his uncle and corner come to his rescue and start an assault in the ring. He was close to stopping Zab and after that he cruised to a decision and did not show that cunt in him like he did when it was Ortiz.
I can guarantee that if he was ever to fight Bradley, Mayweather would not treat Bradley in the same way he treated Ortiz. What a disgrace.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (gonefishing @ Sep 20 2011, 05:25 AM) *
Floyd Mayweather I think is a racist as well. Victor Ortiz is dirty and he pulls that cheap shot. When it was Zab Judah that hit him cheaply, he went down and let his uncle and corner come to his rescue and start an assault in the ring. He was close to stopping Zab and after that he cruised to a decision and did not show that cunt in him like he did when it was Ortiz.
I can guarantee that if he was ever to fight Bradley, Mayweather would not treat Bradley in the same way he treated Ortiz. What a disgrace.

what? his camp looks like the rainbow coalition!!!!!
streetlion1
I dont know about fixed...I just think Joe Cortez fucked up and Floyd took advantage with a sucker punch. I gave the 1st 2 rounds to Ortiz...Floyd was chopping with the right hand but when Ortiz opened up he put Floyd on the defensive and the fight looked different. Then in the 3rd round Ortiz just stopped throwing punches and Floyd made it look easy. I dont know why in the hell Ortiz butted him...it was a little early to be frustrated. That could have been a pretty good fight.
Snoop
QUOTE (gonefishing @ Sep 20 2011, 11:25 AM) *

Yes. Floyd hates Mexicans. End of story.
neophyte7
Cortez called time and stepped out of the way... I get it, Cortez likes Blacks better than his latino brethren so he allowed Floyd to get a cheap shot in??? People making this out to be a racist act really need to take the tampons out of their pussies and realize that it is "protect yourself at all times" and when the ref calls time it is on.. period point blank. Ortiz showcased the reality that he is overrated and in the Zab Judah league of undistinguished "mental midgets". Great instincts by Mayweather as well as ring intelligence. If Victor knew the rules he would have faired better.. besides he had a chance to beat the count. He seemed overjoyed afterwards and one can tell he was happy to be out of the ring with mayweather. how is that Ortiz can commit a sick foul and yet people focus on the "legal" punches thrown by mayweather??? If the roles were reversed people would demand Floyd's license be suspended for a head butt like that
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.