Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto vs Margarito II
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
JONdaCON817
Does a Cotto win help his career? His only 2 losses have come at the hands of 2 "Supposed" cheaters...

Where does a win put him on the list of ALL TIME great Puerto Rican fighters?

Will Cotto fight with a vengence or will he look fearful after the first pummling he took?
gravytrain
Cotto kills him, Margarito is going to get worked like a day laborer.
checkleft
This fight is gonna be good.. but I think marg has cotto traumatized, i think I'm going to take marg by late tko again.
PColeman28
I Like Cotto he's been doing ok lately, though i don't think he has good defense, neither does margarito, plus marg hasn't fought since his last azz whoopin and almost going blind 1 year ago, who knows where his mental state will be fight night so, i think Cotto will get him
JONdaCON817
Do you think Cotto actually thinks he can win? I mean don't get me wrong for asking, I'm Puerto Rican, I love Cotto. But Idk if he's traumatized or not... And I deff think Marg cheated....
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (PColeman28 @ Sep 19 2011, 09:52 PM) *
I Like Cotto he's been doing ok lately, though i don't think he has good defense, neither does margarito, plus marg hasn't fought since his last azz whoopin and almost going blind 1 year ago, who knows where his mental state will be fight night so, i think Cotto will get him

Marg doesn't seem like the type to get shook. Maybe its Cottos quiet/humble demeanor that makes him seem all sad and shyt. He looks like someone juss ran over the family dog. Smh....
checkleft
Oh I think he definitely cheated. But he just hasn't been the same, I love the way he used to fight though. I hope cotto wins but I'm still leaning towards marg.
PColeman28
I don't think he's bothered because he's performed decently even with those 2 BRUTAL losses...he got pounded in both loses, but since his last loss he's won 2 fights by stoppage and has a title, and he fought marg like 3 years ago, i think cotto is tough so he should be alright mentally
PColeman28
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Sep 19 2011, 08:02 PM) *
Marg doesn't seem like the type to get shook. Maybe its Cottos quiet/humble demeanor that makes him seem all sad and shyt. He looks like someone juss ran over the family dog. Smh....

hahahaha he does always look like that lol
Method
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Sep 19 2011, 09:17 PM) *
Cotto kills him, Margarito is going to get worked like a day laborer.

Im so long on Margarito it aint funny. +160 right now? I already started amassing a position. Margarito gonna retire Cotto.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 19 2011, 11:11 PM) *
Im so long on Margarito it aint funny. +160 right now? I already started amassing a position. Margarito gonna retire Cotto.

well after you lose all your money you wont be able to retire, you'll be picking oranges with Margachico. so will kylie the spinks fan
Cshel86
For some reason, this is a toss-up...but Im slightly leaning towards Margarito again. Cotto boxed good the first 6 rounds, though he was getting touched by Margarito. I guess Steward will have a better plan for Cotto this time around. As for Margarito, loaded gloves or not, he was still successful at making contact with Cotto that many times throughout the first fight...thats why I give him the slight edge.

I thought I was about to witness Cotto/Margarito all over again last weekend during the Vargas/Lopez bout. Lopez took Vargas's punches well and stalked him the same way Margarito did Cotto. His punches were harder and louder when he made contact with Vargas, but Vargas wiggled his way to that split decision.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 19 2011, 11:33 PM) *
For some reason, this is a toss-up...but Im slightly leaning towards Margarito again. Cotto boxed good the first 6 rounds, though he was getting touched by Margarito. I guess Steward will have a better plan for Cotto this time around. As for Margarito, loaded gloves or not, he was still successful at making contact with Cotto that many times throughout the first fight...thats why I give him the slight edge.

I thought I was about to witness Cotto/Margarito all over again last weekend during the Vargas/Lopez bout. Lopez took Vargas's punches well and stalked him the same way Margarito did Cotto. His punches were harder and louder when he made contact with Vargas, but Vargas wiggled his way to that split decision.

Im a fan of Cotto, and loathe Margs....

Cotto loses...

Marg is wrong for Cotto 7 nights outta 10
mrchitown
I really would love to see Cotto beat Margarito, but I think Margarito stylistically, is a bad matchup for Cotto. I say Margarito by late stoppage
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Sep 19 2011, 11:51 PM) *
Im a fan of Cotto, and loathe Margs....

Cotto loses...

Marg is wrong for Cotto 7 nights outta 10

+1
Margarito is wrong for Cotto 7 nights outta 10?! Hahahaha!!! Thats a great way of putting it, and you're absolutely right. Lol
streetlion1
Im going Cotto by K.O. in this one...both guys are different fighters now and Margacheato wont have loaded gloves. With Emanuel Steward Cotto has become a better and more patient fighter....using his jab...circling instead of being backed up into the ropes and his punches are more short and accurate. Margacheato has gotten worse...he is even slower now and his chin isnt what it used to be.
BGv2.0
This is an easy call....without loaded cement in his F'N hands Cotto wins it. Anybody that seriously thinks Margarito did all that damage in a legit fashion is lying to themselves!

Cotto has been in a lot f ring wars over the years and we have seen him bloody.....but in all of those fights you NEVER saw him look the way he did in that fight with Margarito with loaded gloves....he was bleeding out of ever opening on his body....his nose, mouth, eyes, ears, anus pores...lol

Why do you think that is? threaten.gif

I'm telling you without loaded gloves this guy gets beat by Cotto....it's the ONLY thing that got him the fight last time. AND HE KNOWS IT!

People are questioning Cotto's mind set....they need to be thinking about Margarito's....a guy that KNOWS he cheated last time out and even with loaded gloves lost half the fight and damn near let the guy make it to the end of the fight....how do you think his mind will work knowing he does not have that advantage?
Big Slim Sweet
I think Margarito has Cotto shook too but if Cotto can box from the outside and not run out of gas he should be able to win on points. Without the loaded gloves (fuck yes I think he had them for their first fight) I don't think Tony scores the come from behind KO this time around.

I'm looking at Cotto by decision in a MUCH more boring fight that people are expecting. He won't be throwing nearly as much early, which is too bad for him cause I don't think Margarito still has the desire or determination to walk through that kind of fire anymore. But Cotto will be preoccupied with not blowing his wad, and he'll do a lot of circling and jabbing, and anytime Margarito closes the distance Cotto will be tying him up instantly.
King Eugene
I honestly think Margarito is a little vulnerable at this point in his career. He's been broken down and beat up twice. I like Cotto's chances especially with Manny in his corner.

Then again he could get caught on the ropes in one exchange, have flashbacks, and it could get ugly. I still think he wins though...hell he was winning on my card until he got stopped. Minus the wraps he'll go life and death but he'll finish that fight with his hands raised.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I really hope Cotto thinks Margarito had loaded wraps that first time. If that's why he thinks Tony won that first fight, he's in for a miserable night on Dec. 3. There is still no proof he had loaded wraps that night either, and Cotto has been busted up before. Maybe not as bad, but who has hit Cotto as much as Margarito did in those last few rounds. Judah cut Cotto pretty bad too. So those body shots in the early rounds didn't impact Cotto? The constant pressure, which Cotto has never dealt with well, didn't impact Cotto? No, of couse it only has to be loaded wraps. Cotto has always had trouble dealing with pressue. Cmon, Mayorga was taking rounds from Cotto last March. Clottey had Cotto doing the four quarters defense when he put pressure on him. It's clear that Cotto doesn't deal well with pressure fighters, and that fact will show again in December.

Cotto can build himself up again all he wants, but all those bad memories will resurface. Cotto is not that much better under Steward. He beat an overrated fighter in Yuri Foreman, and cmon Foreman lost every round to Wolak and was stopped. He didn't look that great against Mayorga either. What is the main difference between Cotto now and in 2008? Are Yuri Foreman and Ricardo Mayorga the best indicators for an improved Miguel Cotto?

As for being the fresher fighter, Pacquiao fucked Cotto up for 11 rounds as well. Margarito gave him a beating too. He's had rough fights with others as well. Both have had some taken from them, but that hurts Cotto more. Cotto is the boxer in this fight, and he'll need that speed and reflexes. Margarito will stop Cotto sooner this time, and have his career back on track.
gravytrain
the only career Margarito has after Cotto is construction work.
TheFonz
All I can say is what a class act Cotto is. This guy doesn't make any excuses, doesn't talk about the loaded gloves, doesn't call Margarito out of his name, just wow. I can't say thay I would be handling this fight in the same way if I where him.

That said, I think Cotto beats him. I'm sure that the Mosley, Clottey and Cotto fights are in heavy rotation in Steward DVD player. Cotto will have solid game plan and he is talented enough execute the game plan.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Putting emotion and 'what's right' to one side Margarito every day of the week.

This isn't (I believe) about loaded gloves and we all know it aint about boxing technique (Cotto gets dragged into brawls almost as easily as Evan Fields) it's about the fact that Cotto can't hurt Margarito. That's a fact that gets overlooked in these debates, he loaded up on Tony and that fucken Mexican shit sandwich just smiled at him and kept coming.

Cotto relies on guys to step back so he can take breaks in the middle of rounds, he hates pressure guys and guys that walk him down. I think one of the reasons he gasses is because he's a little like De La Hoya, he fights kinda tight and guys that offer 3 minutes of pressure and don't give him those 20 second breaks drain him.

If Margarito brings nothing else to the table he brings that. He will walk through Cotto, walk him down and Cotto will fold in the late rounds somewhere between 9 and 11 and Meth will bank his money.

Look I wish it wasn't so but that's the way it will be.
TheFonz
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 21 2011, 06:03 AM) *
Putting emotion and 'what's right' to one side Margarito every day of the week.

This isn't (I believe) about loaded gloves and we all know it aint about boxing technique (Cotto gets dragged into brawls almost as easily as Evan Fields) it's about the fact that Cotto can't hurt Margarito. That's a fact that gets overlooked in these debates, he loaded up on Tony and that fucken Mexican shit sandwich just smiled at him and kept coming.

Cotto relies on guys to step back so he can take breaks in the middle of rounds, he hates pressure guys and guys that walk him down. I think one of the reasons he gasses is because he's a little like De La Hoya, he fights kinda tight and guys that offer 3 minutes of pressure and don't give him those 20 second breaks drain him.

If Margarito brings nothing else to the table he brings that. He will walk through Cotto, walk him down and Cotto will fold in the late rounds somewhere between 9 and 11 and Meth will bank his money.

Look I wish it wasn't so but that's the way it will be.

I think Steward will have Cotto punching, circling and clinching like Mosley did. There in nothing that Mosley did in the fight with Marg that Cotto can't duplicate, nothing.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Sep 21 2011, 11:08 PM) *
I think Steward will have Cotto punching, circling and clinching like Mosley did. There in nothing that Mosley did in the fight with Marg that Cotto can't duplicate, nothing.

It won't matter because if you read my previous post Cotto can be lured into a brawl almost as easy as Holyfield could. Once the red mist descends Cotto will go into warrior mode-and lose.

It always makes me chuckle when fighters bring on certain high profile trainers at the end of their career, like somehow they can make a leopard change its spots. I'm sure Steward can make some technical adjustments but can he change Cotto's natural fighting instincts?
TheFonz
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 21 2011, 07:33 AM) *
It won't matter because if you read my previous post Cotto can be lured into a brawl almost as easy as Holyfield could. Once the red mist descends Cotto will go into warrior mode-and lose.

It always makes me chuckle when fighters bring on certain high profile trainers at the end of their career, like somehow they can make a leopard change its spots. I'm sure Steward can make some technical adjustments but can he change Cotto's natural fighting instincts?

See, I don't agree and the Mayorga fight is great example of Cotto NOT being lured into a brawl (which is what Mayo wanted. He outboxed Mayo for 12 rounds and then knocked his ass out. Cotto is cool character, and he follows Steward's instructions very well. In between the 11 an 12 round of the Mayo fight Steward told Cotto to throw everything short so he can get Mayo's ass out of there and he followed those instructions to a tee. Cotto would have been bloodied up had he fought Mayo six years ago but he came out of that fight pretty much unscathed. Granted that wasn't a prime Mayo, but he was there to fight and he was going after Cotto.
wolterb
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Sep 21 2011, 07:42 AM) *
See, I don't agree and the Mayorga fight is great example of Cotto NOT being lured into a brawl (which is what Mayo wanted. He outboxed Mayo for 12 rounds and then knocked his ass out. Cotto is cool character, and he follows Steward's instructions very well. In between the 11 an 12 round of the Mayo fight Steward told Cotto to throw everything short so he can get Mayo's ass out of there and he followed those instructions to a tee. Cotto would have been bloodied up had he fought Mayo six years ago but he came out of that fight pretty much unscathed. Granted that wasn't a prime Mayo, but he was there to fight and he was going after Cotto.

yea i thought the mayorga fight def showed cotto what he can do at a controlled pace.
controllin mayorga and margarito gonna be two totally different things tho...

whenever a taller skinnier dude is fightin' i gotta root for em'...
hands o' stone margarito wins via k.o.!
if it goes to the scorecards ain't no way cotto isn't gettin' the W. poetic justice is what everyone wants to see in this fight.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Sep 21 2011, 11:42 PM) *

As limited as he is I still thinks Margarito walks down a guy better than Mayorga does.
xxxxxx
I'm already starting to look forword to this one and it's still a few months away. Originally I felt Margarito should have been banned for life for his idiotic move with the loaded gloves, but I'm extremely happy for Cotto to get his revenge. I've always been a fan of Cotto and his boxing style. I could even see a third fight here if the second one is competitive which I believe it will be. This fight has a lot riding on it. If Cotto wins easily people will conclude that Margarito cheated in the Cotto bout and if Margarito wins convincingly he can say he won the first one fairly. But the truth is no matter what the outcome, it really doesnt prove anything other than who is the better man Now. Either way both men are gonna fight hard and this is a great fight to end the boxing year in 2011. I will be rooting hard for Cotto and redemption. He's a borderline hall of famer and this one could put him over the top. I'm no fan of Bob Arum, but this will be a nice treat for the fans.
Cshel86

I hope this 70's stuff isn't coming back, smh. Tight shirts, big shades, Bruce Lee/Justin Bieber haircuts, etc. Kinda cool though, makes 'em look less Mexican, lol. (no pun intended)
caneman
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 24 2011, 10:32 AM) *

I hope this 70's stuff isn't coming back, smh. Tight shirts, big shades, Bruce Lee/Justin Bieber haircuts, etc. Kinda cool though, makes 'em look less Mexican, lol. (no pun intended)

Things have a way of coming back around don't they? The 2 that kill me are tiny jeans or the other extreme of sagging so bad that they are constantly pulling them up...both are crazy! I want some room but both of these kill me! lmao
Cshel86
QUOTE (caneman @ Sep 24 2011, 11:57 AM) *
Things have a way of coming back around don't they? The 2 that kill me are tiny jeans or the other extreme of sagging so bad that they are constantly pulling them up...both are crazy! I want some room but both of these kill me! lmao

Lmao! Yes! Tell me about it. No guy should walk around with their jeans painted on there legs, nor should they sag them so hard that their thighs are showing. I tried on a pair of skinny jeans by accident, and I've felt violated since then no2.gif
Method
Cotto will be retired on Dec 3rd.
mgrover
i can see cotto not making it out of the 9th. I think Margarito will hit him, he'll realize it hurt just as much as before, and he'll think in his mind, damn he beat me fair and square, and then be a broken man
Cshel86
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 24 2011, 12:09 PM) *

Yep, thats just about it right. Margarito was the first to buss his bubble and take the steam out of 'em, and he simply finish the job.

QUOTE (mgrover @ Sep 24 2011, 12:25 PM) *
i can see cotto not making it out of the 9th. I think Margarito will hit him, he'll realize it hurt just as much as before, and he'll think in his mind, damn he beat me fair and square, and then be a broken man

It's obvious that Cotto cant take a punch anymore, and nobody should make a practice of it anyhow. Pacquiao took at least three years off of Cotto and Margarito's career with those beatings he handed them. At this point, this fight boils down to who can withstand the most punishment and continue fighting until the final bell, and we all know who is willing to fight to the bloody end. Im sure Steward has a gameplan for Cotto, because he will definitely need it.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 24 2011, 11:09 AM) *

I sure hope your wrong on this one Method. I think Manny will have Cotto better prepared for this one. As long as Cotto doesn't bang with Margarito to much there is no reason he couldn't pull off the decison win. He needs to get inside and tie up when Margarito gets going at times and box smart. Everybody knows Margarito has the better chin and longer frame, but that don't guarantee no victory. Cotto does get pulled into slugfests at times which could hurt him in this one being the smaller man, but that's where experience and Manny come in. As long as Cotto is focused and don't let his emotions get pulled in he wins a close hard fought decison of scores of 115-113 across the board setting up a trilogy fight.
gravytrain
Cotto will kill Margartio. Margarito will cry the whole way back to Mexico in his 86 Dodge Caravan riding 20 deep.
Method
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Sep 24 2011, 02:12 PM) *
Cotto will kill Margartio. Margarito will cry the whole way back to Mexico in his 86 Dodge Caravan riding 20 deep.

El Camino?
gravytrain
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 24 2011, 03:31 PM) *
El Camino?

no, he's a real Mexican. he'll have his old van with 30 people in it and he'll be driving around 10 mph under the speed limit with a blinker on.
Cshel86
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Sep 24 2011, 02:12 PM) *

QUOTE (Method @ Sep 24 2011, 03:31 PM) *
El Camino?

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Sep 24 2011, 04:09 PM) *
no, he's a real Mexican. he'll have his old van with 30 people in it and he'll be driving around 10 mph under the speed limit with a blinker on.

Hahahahaha!!! How about 8-deep in a Bonneville? I've witnessed that with my own two eyes, lol.
AlynK
If Steward helps Cotto build up his endurance, I think Cotto has a chance of making it through the 12 rounds. Margarito effectively slowed him down with the buildup of body shots and uppercuts and that's how he lost most of his steam in their last fight. Cotto can't jab & hook all night, he needs to learn how to get on the inside and hit him with body shots as well. Even though Cotto isn't one for bad mouthing, there is clearly some animosity there. So if he can set his focus on his performance it can make for a great fight and a well-prepared Cotto.
Lil-lightsout
All Cotto has to do is relax more and not be so tense when he punches. He wasted so much steam early on last time trying to hurt Margarito. He just needs to be smart and out box him and break him down methodically, and maybe shoot for a late stoppage from a busted up and frustrated Margarito.

I got Cotto by easier than expected win. I see him being extremely motivated for revenge and him getting the win.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 24 2011, 10:58 PM) *
All Cotto has to do is relax more and not be so tense when he punches. He wasted so much steam early on last time trying to hurt Margarito. He just needs to be smart and out box him and break him down methodically, and maybe shoot for a late stoppage from a busted up and frustrated Margarito.

I got Cotto by easier than expected win. I see him being extremely motivated for revenge and him getting the win.

He did his best to box him throughout the first half, but like you said, he was too busy trying to hurt Margarito. What's worse is that he was trying to hurt him upstairs, big mistake! The only fighter that succeeded with that was Mosley. Pac just fucked his face up terribly, but his best work that hurt him throughout the fight, was his body work.

Body work is Cotto's bread & butter, but he abandoned it that night and tried his hand at breaking him down upstairs, bad move. I still see Margarito possibly taking this one again, but Cotto may not take the beating he tooks from him years ago. You may have a good argument though, because Cotto's has always been great at listening to his corner, and he's better about not leaning in head first and sitting there...thats how he ate all of those uppercuts.
TheFonz
Cotto will hit Marg so hard his head will explode!
Cshel86
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Sep 30 2011, 05:57 PM) *
Cotto will hit Marg so hard his head will explode!

...thought you were on PPV strike, Fonz dntknw.gif
TheFonz
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 30 2011, 06:02 PM) *
...thought you were on PPV strike, Fonz dntknw.gif

I never said that. I specifically talking about the fighters involved in that perticular dibacle.
Cshel86
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Sep 30 2011, 06:06 PM) *
I never said that. I specifically talking about the fighters involved in that perticular dibacle.

You'll buy their next fights too.
BoxingEinstein

Very anticipated fight and rightly so, I'm reading some of you guys comments and some don't make sense. How can Cotto hurt Margarito when Cotto literally threw everything at Marg's except the kitchen sink? Margs still was coming forward with them slow ass uppercuts hitting Cotto. Cotto just doesn't hit hard enough to keep The Tijuana Tornado off him and to respect his punches. Heck, even Manny had some trouble keeping Marg's off him and if Marg's was a pure power puncher like Angulo or Kirkland he would've KO'd Manny and would've took Cotto out earlier than 11 rounds.

I think Cotto's best bet is to simply box Margs and slip those slow ass uppercuts like he should've been doing in their last fight. I also think Steward will instruct Cotto to go after Marg's right eye especially after he had a surgery so it might still be a bit touchy we'll see. I don't see Cotto stopping Marg's and I don't see Marg's stopping Cotto this time either. I give this fight to Cotto by SD or close decision.
Method
Man, at BEST this is a pick 'em fight, but SHOULD favor Margarito. With MArgarito +160, y'all should be laying your money down on the Tijuana Tornado.
King Eugene
I think what will determine the outcome is when Margarito lands a hard shot on Cotto. Of course his wraps will be throughly checked before the fight so when Marg lands on Cotto and it feels the same as last time will he be thinking "oh shit, those werent wraps...not this shit again" or will it not phase him and he sticks to boxing. Its all about Cotto's mental because he definitely has the physical to beat him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.