Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO Boxing
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
xxxxxx
In my opinion HBO would be wise to replace Larry Merchant. He doesn't bring any entertainment to the table unless of course Floyd is the fighter he is talking to. It would be nice to see Teddy Atlas get that job. Just my opinion though and I'm sure some will disagree.
BigDDatHomey
I agree. As Mayweather said let's get an expert on who knows about being in the ring. A fighter that can still speak well or at least a trainer. All Merchants experience in boxing is from outside the ring. This is why real NFL fans love to tune into NFL Playbook, NFL Network, and listen to what their analysts have to say. Most of them are either players or coaches who bring a realistic point of view. And for the record, if Merchant was 50 years younger, he would get his as whooped like the rest of them.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ Sep 22 2011, 02:44 PM) *
I agree. As Mayweather said let's get an expert on who knows about being in the ring. A fighter that can still speak well or at least a trainer. All Merchants experience in boxing is from outside the ring. This is why real NFL fans love to tune into NFL Playbook, NFL Network, and listen to what their analysts have to say. Most of them are either players or coaches who bring a realistic point of view. And for the record, if Merchant was 50 years younger, he would get his as whooped like the rest of them.

Only if Larry will TAKE THE TESS!!!

You cant have broadcasts that are just full of ex athletes (in whatever discipline you want to discuss). You need them for their expert analysis, but you also need TV guys.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Sep 23 2011, 02:48 AM) *

You cant have broadcasts that are just full of ex athletes (in whatever discipline you want to discuss). You need them for their expert analysis, but you also need TV guys.

Larry would only face PBF if he takes the TESS!! YEAR ROUND RANDOM TESTING that is. That's how Laza would want it......Oh hold on Pretty Boy isn't keen on all year random testing at ALL.

I sense another 2 year retirement comin up.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 22 2011, 02:55 PM) *
Larry would only face PBF if he takes the TESS!! YEAR ROUND RANDOM TESTING that is. That's how Laza would want it......Oh hold on Pretty Boy isn't keen on all year random testing at ALL.

I sense another 2 year retirement comin up.

Yeah, he dont need the sport of boxing, the sport of boxing need him.

Larry would have rinsed Floyd out 50 years ago.
EAlbian
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Sep 22 2011, 09:48 AM) *

cosign

Merchant isn't the problem, Floyd whines like a bitch. He shoulda answered the question and gave it back to Larry in a controlled manner, I woulda rather see him handle it by questioning Larry's accolades inside the ring. Instead he threw a tantrum and looked uneducated and over-emotional. To the fans who do not know Mayweather and were casually tuning in he looks like a jackass and a bitch. Floyd has cross-over appeal and ability to play the good guy but instead chooses to go about things the wrong way and because of that will never be loved by the mainstream media or casual fans. However, i do believe this will really help sell a Pac fight. Cheap-shot asshole vs Demigod Congressman in a battle of good vs evil for the fate of boxing haha i can see it now.

Merchant is on his way out but I think he's better than Kellerman for the interviews. I'd like to see Max take his spot during the fight and Merchant just do the interviews, like Jim Grey
Method
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Sep 22 2011, 09:22 AM) *
In my opinion HBO would be wise to replace Larry Merchant. He doesn't bring any entertainment to the table unless of course Floyd is the fighter he is talking to. It would be nice to see Teddy Atlas get that job. Just my opinion though and I'm sure some will disagree.

It would be a TERRIBLE look for HBO to fire Larry Merchant because Floyd can't handle being asked anything other than soft-ball, lollipop shit.

Mike Tyson didn't like him, and they refused to get rid of Merchant for Mike. It would be bad if they did it just to appease Floyd.

Larry Merchant pisses me off sometimes, but he's good for the sport.

Should ESPN fire Brien Kenny for getting into it w Floyd?

People are concerned about GBP buying Ring Mag as a potential compromise of integrity? They should be just as concerned if HBO fires Larry Merchant to appease FMJ.

Shit, Larry was mid-sentence into giving Mayweather his props when Floyd went off about a fair shake, etc. It was so left field (I guess, hence the look on Merchant's face that everyone is cropping.
Method
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Sep 22 2011, 11:06 AM) *
I do believe this will really help sell a Pac fight. Cheap-shot asshole vs Demigod Congressman in a battle of good vs evil for the fate of boxing haha i can see it now.

Hahahaha. I'd like to see both Larry and Max work together. They both have their moments...and their lapses, and I think would be a good checks & balances tandem.
Big Slim Sweet
If they wouldn't fire him for Tyson, who at the time looked to have at least 10 more years of big fights ahead of him, I can't imagine they'd do it for Floyd, who has 2-3 more fights left tops.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Sep 22 2011, 10:06 AM) *
I'd like to see Max take his spot during the fight and Merchant just do the interviews, like Jim Grey

Not a bad idea.
TheFonz
FOH Larry needs to stay and all you Floyd huggers need to quit Parroting what your idol says. The dude isn't that smart so 7 times of 10 what he is saying is pure garbage.
BGv2.0
NO way....guys like Larry and Jim Grey ask the hard questions...just because PBF and his nut licking fans can't handle being asked tough..YET...valid questions...that's on them....NOT LM.

For all those bitching about it being a bad time after a fight to get interviewed...quit your crying already.....these guys get paid MILLIONS....I don't think having them answer tough questions is out of their price range....it's an aspect that comes with the job...ALWAYS has....

lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Sep 22 2011, 04:54 PM) *
NO way....guys like Larry and Jim Grey ask the hard questions...just because PBF and his nut licking fans can't handle being asked tough..YET...valid questions...that's on them....NOT LM.

For all those bitching about it being a bad time after a fight to get interviewed...quit your crying already.....these guys get paid MILLIONS....I don't think having them answer tough questions is out of their price range....it's an aspect that comes with the job...ALWAYS has....

And Larry hadn't even started asking tough stuff yet. Floyd throws a bitch fit so someone should be put out a job??? Not having that.
Cshel86
HBO is fine with who they have, they just need to stop bitching and shoving a Pac/Mayweather fight up everybody's asses. I have never been a big Merchant fan, but if he wasn't there anymore, then I really wouldn't know how to act.

Max Kellerman: Grew on me. Now he's a great commentator, sometimes kisses too much ass, and he's a great asset on the station.

Jim Lampley: Irreplaceable, period.

Emmanuel Steward: His experience and feedback is great, though I hate his "I knew this was gonna happen" predictions.

Larry Merchant: Capable of getting under any and everybody's skin, but HBO wouldn't be the same without him...he's just one of those guys.

RJJ: Good for the program, educates viewers, shares his ring experience, and toots his own horn more than necessary, but thats what makes him Roy.

If Floyd isn't busy "not answering" questions, then he's busy blowing his top about questions being asked...or before they are even asked.
EAlbian
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 22 2011, 11:59 AM) *
HBO is fine with who they have, they just need to stop bitching and shoving a Pac/Mayweather fight up everybody's asses. I have never been a big Merchant fan, but if he wasn't there anymore, then I really wouldn't know how to act.

Max Kellerman: Grew on me. Now he's a great commentator, sometimes kisses too much ass, and he's a great asset on the station.

Jim Lampley: Irreplaceable, period.

Emmanuel Steward: His experience and feedback is great, though I hate his "I knew this was gonna happen" predictions.

Larry Merchant: Capable of getting under any and everybody's skin, but HBO wouldn't be the same without him...he's just one of those guys.

RJJ: Good for the program, educates viewers, shares his ring experience, and toots his own horn more than necessary, but thats what makes him Roy.

If Floyd isn't busy "not answering" questions, then he's busy blowing his top about questions being asked...or before they are even asked.

They've got a great team, their production value is what keeps them relevant when the fights are lackluster. Bob Papa sucks. Max should do all the BAD cards with Roy. I still think that B-Hop would be the guy HBO could pick up, he comes off as well spoken and his craft and knowledge are unparalleled. He's been doing it at the top level longer than anybody else out there. RJJ is great but sometimes he says stuff that sounds like Florida backwoods shit plus most of his career was athleticism-based, Hopkins could come from a more fundamental side. jus my opinion
Spyder
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Sep 22 2011, 11:06 AM) *
cosign

Merchant isn't the problem, Floyd whines like a bitch. He shoulda answered the question and gave it back to Larry in a controlled manner, I woulda rather see him handle it by questioning Larry's accolades inside the ring. Instead he threw a tantrum and looked uneducated and over-emotional. To the fans who do not know Mayweather and were casually tuning in he looks like a jackass and a bitch. Floyd has cross-over appeal and ability to play the good guy but instead chooses to go about things the wrong way and because of that will never be loved by the mainstream media or casual fans. However, i do believe this will really help sell a Pac fight. Cheap-shot asshole vs Demigod Congressman in a battle of good vs evil for the fate of boxing haha i can see it now.

Merchant is on his way out but I think he's better than Kellerman for the interviews. I'd like to see Max take his spot during the fight and Merchant just do the interviews, like Jim Grey

Naw, he looks that way to the boxing fans that know him too.
EAlbian
QUOTE (Spyder @ Sep 22 2011, 12:43 PM) *
Naw, he looks that way to the boxing fans that know him too.

well I guess that depends on your definition of "Boxing Fans" haha, as crazybuffalo happened to point out you can be a boxing fan if you worship only one fighters nut sack
Cshel86
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Sep 22 2011, 01:36 PM) *
They've got a great team, their production value is what keeps them relevant when the fights are lackluster. Bob Papa sucks. Max should do all the BAD cards with Roy. I still think that B-Hop would be the guy HBO could pick up, he comes off as well spoken and his craft and knowledge are unparalleled. He's been doing it at the top level longer than anybody else out there. RJJ is great but sometimes he says stuff that sounds like Florida backwoods shit plus most of his career was athleticism-based, Hopkins could come from a more fundamental side. jus my opinion

Bob Papa does suck, notice that I didn't even mention his name...though he does make laugh when he gets excited when a knockdown happens. I agree with your analysis about Jones and Hopkins in reagrds to their fighting styles and commentating. Roy is better for the show, if you ask me. Hopkins can be too long-winded and abstract at times, which can throw unqualified viewers off. His passion and knowledge in the sport spells trainer, and I laugh because he doesn't want to be a trainer..that's weird!
Fitz
I like Merchant and always have. He can be a dick at times, but he asks questions that people are thinking to themselves. I don't want an interview after a fight where you have a guy just stroking their ego. Not that I expect someone to be a cunt just for the sake of it, but if there is a legitimate question, I want to hear it asked even if it's a question that a fighter may not like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.