Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holyfeld-Povetkin in December
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
Fight News is reported that Holyfield has vacated some nothing belt to challenge Povetkin for their "Regular" title. The alphabet confusion can be simplified this way. This is going to mean an interim fight, and should Evander win, I could see Wlad Klitschko salivating over this for the WBA/IBF Titles (Easy win for Wlad, suicide for Holyfield.)

Would a Holyfield-Vitali Klitschko bout FINALLY send the message to Holyfield that he would be beaten badly and needs to stop fighting? Let's just hope that Povetkin wins, as that should prevent the fight from happening. The thing is, so little is known about Povetkin, that could Holyfield have another Valuev performance in him? A match that many people believed Evander won handily?

I am more worried about a potential Holyfield-Wlad fight than Povetkin.

Jack
Cshel86
Holyfield doesn't care if he dies in the ring or not...kinda reminds me of Bret Favre on the field.
PColeman28
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 22 2011, 03:07 PM) *
Holyfield doesn't care if he dies in the ring or not...kinda reminds me of Bret Favre on the field.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
BGv2.0
I LOVE it! AND....as soft as Povetkin looked in his last fight...I'm not so sure it's the 100% win for him people might expect.

People can say what they want to and berate Holy all day long....the fact of the matter is the guy is ligit ranked in the top 20 and unlike many of the younger guys has been active...hell this will be his 3rd fight this year. YES...he's old. slow and a shell of his former self....but a Holyfield at even 40-50% of what he was can still be competitive with the crap that passes for top 10 nowadays.

As long as he's not being KO'd ugly everytime out...I say let him keep going.

As for a Klit fight int he future...I would not be too worried about that. Both Bros. have said they would never fight him out of respect for him....although IF he were to get a decent win over Povetkin in Switzerland....they might change..but I highly doubt it.

You gotta give Holy credit....as old as he is...still willing to fight 3x a year...top 10 guys...and even so much as going to Europe to do it....

You can question his mindset....but you cannot question his desire and balls!
dhoward126
This is an awful fight and it's a shame that it's happening. Who has Holyfield fought to remotely deserve this opportunity? He quit against a freebie when he fought Sherman Williams last February whereas we saw Povetkin overcome a top five Heavyweight in Chagaev in piss-poor shape. Teddy Atlas WILL NOT let Povetkin give Holyfield respect or let him be carried to the final bell (a la Jones-Lebedev), he's going to come in the best shape of his career and off of his best training camp because Atlas doesn't want Povetkin to look bad and at the same time have a dominant stoppage win over a guy that doesn't belong in the ring with this caliber of opposition. I don't see this ending well for Holyfield, or Toney for that matter when he gets in the ring with Lebedev.
jlupi
Who has Holyfield fought to remotely deserve this opportunity? He quit against a freebie when he fought Sherman Williams last February whereas we saw Povetkin overcome a top five Heavyweight in Chagaev in piss-poor shape. >

even his recent record is as good as most other hvys. Holy knows the risks. If he can pass the tests to get a licence I have no problem. If you do dont watch. I dont think its anybodys job to protect a sane man from himself. Thats a slippery slope we are already on.
There was a article in the NY daily news recently how Triathlons should be outlawed because there are to many deaths. where does it end. Seatbelt laws, bicycle helmet laws, there are over 400 deaths per/y involving people falling from bed in the US alone and god knows how many injuries. Shouldn't someone save these people?
xxxxxx
It's hard not to admire Holyfield for his grit and courage. He's obviously Clearly past his best days, but hasnt been completely dominated and pounded for quite awhile. Until that happens I would allow him to fight. Who am I to say a fighter shouldn't be fighting anymore because he's old and not as good as he use to be. Especially a fighter who gave us so many great fights and wants to keep fighting.
Cshel86
I cant wait! I hope he gets one of the Klitschko brothers, so they can end his foolish and delusional journey for HW supremacy once and for all. I pass by this guy's ESTATES (yeah estates with an 's') daily, and you would think of it as an investment, but thats not the story. On top of that, I guess he couldn't remember to pull out, because he has kids all over the world (even Devon Alexander, lol), and he's gonna have to pay for those forever no2.gif I hope he does get a decent payday with one of the Klitschko bros, but we already know what comes with that payday.
mrchitown
Holyfield has given so much to the sport of boxing that I say he earned his shot based on that. However, he really gave up against Williams and althoughnhe hasn't been dominated, when he fights top caliber heavyweights, he looks horrible (with the exception of the Valeuv fight). I think Atlas will have Povetkin ready to fight and in great shape because we all known what Holyfield can do to opponents. Half of his best now is better then most in the division now. But I think Povetkin will win it. If Holyfield does win, I can see a beating at the hands of one of the Klitschko brothers in his future. Maybe that would be enough to persuade him to retire
BGv2.0
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Sep 24 2011, 01:26 AM) *
This is an awful fight and it's a shame that it's happening. Who has Holyfield fought to remotely deserve this opportunity? He quit against a freebie when he fought Sherman Williams last February whereas we saw Povetkin overcome a top five Heavyweight in Chagaev in piss-poor shape. Teddy Atlas WILL NOT let Povetkin give Holyfield respect or let him be carried to the final bell (a la Jones-Lebedev), he's going to come in the best shape of his career and off of his best training camp because Atlas doesn't want Povetkin to look bad and at the same time have a dominant stoppage win over a guy that doesn't belong in the ring with this caliber of opposition. I don't see this ending well for Holyfield, or Toney for that matter when he gets in the ring with Lebedev.

OK if it's such a shame you need to redirect that line of who is to blame toward Teddy and Povetkin...NOT Holyfield. Atlas and his boy chose to take Evander as a fight....so according to you, THEY are at fault for chosing to beat up an old man. There are plenty of other fights Povetkin could have taken. NO..they took this fight because they are not yet ready for the Klits and it's the next name on the list that will net them cash.

AND...bieng a realist...Povekin proablly does win....but I will have signature bet with you that he DOES NOT stop Holyfield....he might very well get the UD...maybe even a one-sided UD...but he will not stop Holy.

And you can in NO WAY claim Holy has not fought a handful of guys to get the shot...he's done more than most....he's fought 3 times this year...tha ALONE compared to half these lazy fucks should net him some consideration. BUT...you have to go back to last year as well...so his list includes Botha, Williams (yes disapointing outcome, but still a fight that took place with named opposition) and Neilson....sad as it is to say...THAT IS a LOT more than most.
dhoward126
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Sep 25 2011, 01:57 PM) *
OK if it's such a shame you need to redirect that line of who is to blame toward Teddy and Povetkin...NOT Holyfield. Atlas and his boy chose to take Evander as a fight....so according to you, THEY are at fault for chosing to beat up an old man. There are plenty of other fights Povetkin could have taken. NO..they took this fight because they are not yet ready for the Klits and it's the next name on the list that will net them cash.

AND...bieng a realist...Povekin proablly does win....but I will have signature bet with you that he DOES NOT stop Holyfield....he might very well get the UD...maybe even a one-sided UD...but he will not stop Holy.

And you can in NO WAY claim Holy has not fought a handful of guys to get the shot...he's done more than most....he's fought 3 times this year...tha ALONE compared to half these lazy fucks should net him some consideration. BUT...you have to go back to last year as well...so his list includes Botha, Williams (yes disapointing outcome, but still a fight that took place with named opposition) and Neilson....sad as it is to say...THAT IS a LOT more than most.

It's a shame because it is happening period!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.