Full Version: Is it Hype's email that got into Dougie's Mail Bag today
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
pesticid
Here is the link:
http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/169300-...-friday-mailbag

and here is the email:

WHY THE HATRED?

Fischer,

Ring magazine need to stop you writing about Floyd Mayweather. Seriously, your bias against the man makes it embarrassing to read your views on him. You are supposed to be a proffesional writer, that means you are supposed to give an objective view on what you're watching, not spew some YouTube-esque hatred against someone you don't like.

Pre-fight you gave Ortiz a great shot at beating Floyd, then after Mayweather outclassed him in every department, (giving away 14 pounds by the way, funny you didn't mention that) Ortiz is suddenly some naive ''manchild'' Mayweather had a duty of care over. No doubt had Ortiz succeeded in his intentions with that headbutt and broke Mayweathers nose or fractured a cheekbone, you'd have said that it's all part of the fight game. Mayweather retaliates with a street move of his own and it's a step above biting chunks out of another mans ear. I urge you to tone it down Doug, it's unbecoming of an institution like 'The Ring' to publish such bile from a supposed sports writer. -- Ben

Thank you Ben! I used to love Dougie, but he's lost all respect that I have for him. How can you say that Mayweather's punch or punches were one step below Mike Tyson biting Evander's ear? At first I though he was referring to Ortiz's actions, but apparently it has to do with Floyd knocking Ortiz out.
Doug makes an esxuse that his opinion is only in his mailbags, BS, he said in a column that Mayweather's actions were almost as close as Tyson's ear biting. I think he is still very bitter that Mosley didn't come true for him. He was so certain that Shane would knock out Floyd and then Mayweahter outclasses him like nobody has including Forrest and Winky. Never gave Floyd any credit though. They should fire Fischer and Merchant both.
lloyd mayflower
Here is Dougies reply, just to save everyone from having to look

Why is it “unbecoming” of THE RING for me to dislike Mayweather’s cheap shot? And why does it bother you so much?

It’s not like I applauded Ortiz for his intentional foul. It’s not like I completely condemned Mayweather for the “legal sucker punch” that ended the fight. I didn’t get on a soap box and express outrage at what Mayweather did in some scathing post-fight column. All I’ve done is share my uneasy feelings about what happened last Saturday in two mailbags.

Yes, it’s true that journalists are supposed to be as objective as they can be. Believe it or not, I do strive for balance when I cover boxing events. However, it’s the job of a columnist to clearly state his or her opinion, especially on controversial or polarizing figures and events. The mailbag is my column, kiddo. If you don’t care for my opinions on a particular fighter, it might be a good idea for you to skip the mailbag the week before and after that fighter, ahem, performs.

And yeah, I gave Ortiz a shot. I didn’t pick him to win. I didn’t think he would pull off the upset (for the same reason that EVERY boxing writer in the freakin’ world predicted a Mayweather victory -- because the young man was not ready!). But even if I predicted an Ortiz victory, why get bent out of shape about that? And if he had broken Mayweather’s nose or cheekbone with a headbutt he would have been instantly DQ’d by Mr. Fair-but-Firm and I would have condemned him along with the rest of the planet.

If you think otherwise you live in a fantasy world. (And I’m sure it’s a gangsta world full of "street knowledge" and tolerance for retaliatory “street moves” in the ring and every day life.)

By the way pesticid, why do YOU feel they should fire Merchant?
pesticid
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Sep 23 2011, 09:10 AM) *
Here is Dougies reply, just to save everyone from having to look

By the way pesticid, why do YOU feel they should fire Merchant?

He disrespects fighters, it's as simple as that. George Foreman used to get in verbal tussles with him about it, but Larry just likes to demean fighters. He is saying that it was the crowd booing that forced Mayweather to go off at him or that it was upcoming Pac questions. No, it's none of that, it's about having some common courtesy and tact, which Larry has none of.

Floyd began to say how he wanted to thank the fans and Larry interrupted him right there saying that he knows that he is a great promoter but he is in the ring as a figher and he should answer the question. That would've put me off too.

It's like this, if you're a good guy who likes to brawl, bleed and take punches, you're ok with Larry. Like Pacquiao and the late Gatti. If you're a sound technician who doesn't bleed and take too many punches then you're just another "gladiator" that hasn't entertained the crowds to his liking and all you deserve is scorn and belittlement if there is a such word.

Going back to Vitaly and Lennox. I hated Lennox and I love Vitaly, but what Merchant did to Lennox was disgusting. How is Lennox's fault that Vitaly's face became a mess and they stopped the fight. Yet Merchant was making some crazy bold accusations against Lennox. As a Lennox "hater" (I don't hate that much btw) that put me off so much.

Who the fuk is Larry anyway? The only reason they brought him back is because of Mayweather. Mayweather will sell fights whether Merchant commentates or not. Merchant cannot sell 1 pay per view on his own. Larry should be more respectful, no other sport treats its fighters like HBO boxing. You watch NFL, NBA, UFC, you name what sport or league and you won't find anybody so bitter to the point of demeaning the athletes and the sport. Why is boxing losing popularity, cause larry and group keep talking shit about all the fights that aren't Micky Ward vs Arthuro Gati fights.
thehype
LOL. No, that's not any email I ever sent.

First and foremost, I wouldn't email any writer to complain about something they say about Floyd Mayweather. I could care less about that shit.

Second, I usually don't read articles written by anyone else...I just don't have the time...therefore I don't even know what he may or may not have said about the fight.

Third, I have their phone numbers, so I'd call or shoot a text message if I had a problem with any of them.

Fourth, I really don't speak to any of them. I live in my own world and try to have as little contact with them as possible.

Most of those "respected journalists" don't like me. They smile in my face at events, but talk behind my back. I hear through mutual sources what they have to say about me, however, and I just smile, ignore them, and keep it moving. I really don't have a need to speak to any of them, therefore, I really don't have a need to send any emails to them.

In short, I don't contact them...they contact me...like when Steve Kim called me to chop it up about the story I dropped regarding Fat Man Scoop and a potential move to HBO: http://www.fighthype.com/media/audio/voice...ail04262011.mp3
Method
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 23 2011, 09:42 AM) *
In short, I don't contact them...they contact me...like when Steve Kim called me to chop it up about the story I dropped regarding Fat Man Scoop and a potential move to HBO: http://www.fighthype.com/media/audio/voice...ail04262011.mp3

Who was he calling to chop it up about?
thehype
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 23 2011, 11:11 AM) *
Who was he calling to chop it up about?

Fat Man Scoop. You don't recognize the nickname?
Method
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 23 2011, 11:31 AM) *
Fat Man Scoop. You don't recognize the nickname?

Naw, man. Scoop Malinowski?

I dunno, bro. I went and googled it, but nothin boxing related came up, and I couldnt undrstand Steve in the audio (well, I understood everything but the name).

NEVERMIND. I got it.
thehype
LOL. Okay...cool. I was about to say...damn bro...FAT MAN...SCOOP. LOL. Guess I could've saved you the trouble and just said Dan Rafael too.
Method
All good. Just took me to Fatmanscoop's website and started blaring techno music. Not a good look on the trading desk.

Man, we need to open up the TEAM FIGHTHYPE section again so you can get down off-record about scoops n shit.

so did you ever wind up "chopping it up" w K-9?
Cshel86
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 23 2011, 11:44 AM) *
LOL. Okay...cool. I was about to say...damn bro...FAT MAN...SCOOP. LOL. Guess I could've saved you the trouble and just said Dan Rafael too.

The successful of the two brothers...
The unsuccessful of the two...

Wonder why he's so miserable???
checkleft
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 23 2011, 12:07 PM) *
The successful of the two brothers...
The unsuccessful of the two...

Wonder why he's so miserable???

That's just awesome
Snoop
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 23 2011, 04:47 PM) *
All good. Just took me to Fatmanscoop's website and started blaring techno music. Not a good look on the trading desk.

Man, we need to open up the TEAM FIGHTHYPE section again so you can get down off-record about scoops n shit.

so did you ever wind up "chopping it up" w K-9?

YES. We do.
JONdaCON817
yeaa... and some FightHype Merchandise...
Cshel86
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Sep 23 2011, 03:56 PM) *
yeaa... and some FightHype Merchandise...

+1
Sunni6Killer
Good for Dougie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.