Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How can peterson go about defeating Khan?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
kingknockout
Or do you think he doesn't stand a chance?

I haven't seen too many of khans fights but the one's I've watched I know he has speed and he throws a gang of punches, and he has range.....he also stood up to the pressure of maidana's punches, for someone to be way faster than maidana he did get caught alot in their bout...so how can peterson go about beating khan?

should he pressure him and use alot of body punches to slow him down? or try to box him and counter khan's shots?
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Sep 23 2011, 04:24 PM) *
Or do you think he doesn't stand a chance?

I haven't seen too many of khans fights but the one's I've watched I know he has speed and he throws a gang of punches, and he has range.....he also stood up to the pressure of maidana's punches, for someone to be way faster than maidana he did get caught alot in their bout...so how can peterson go about beating khan?

should he pressure him and use alot of body punches to slow him down? or try to box him and counter khan's shots?

I think Peterson has the tool set to edge Khan but ultimately Khan has the advantage in reach, height, length and jab speed. Peterson has the edge in opposition, punching power, jab skill, inside game, head movement and combo's.

Peterson has to take it to Khan and get Khan's respect early or Khan will just fire off with hooks and right hands. If you notice Khan respects boxers who has punching power and fights on the outside more via Maidana but when he doesn't respect your power he goes in recklessly like he did in the 3rd round against Judah. If Lamont can't get Khan to respect his power then he's in for a long night to be soundly outboxed by the man with a quicker jab.

Peterson is a decent counter puncher he will have to rely on those skills, keep his guard up, and bait Khan in with counter hooks when Khan comes in recklessly. He will have to break Khan's body down and then counter attack the chin mercilessly when Khan rushes in.
cuzzo707
Maidana had Khan out on his feet in there fight. Peterson should work from the ground up working the body then going to the head. Amir chin is still questionable I think people forget that. The ref could have stopped the fight because Khan was out on his feet that's why everyone wants them to go at it again. Good head movement will make Khan hesitant with that lengthy jab.
JONdaCON817
ide say Lamont will have to Bully Khan around... stay out the center of the ring... force khan against the ropes and do a lil dirty boxing... fight on the inside and work the body... he can possibly get that KO but only if hes knoccing on the foundation... if he tries to load up then he wont land... he needs to fight his fight and try to hurt Khan and get him out of there in 1 fell swoop... Peterson needs to get off early nd often... reluctancy wont be his friend in this fight..
TheFonz
If he can find a way to fight him on the inside and keep it there he has a very good shot.
HazConvictedFelonMane
By showing heart, having good defense, staying close, and landing a long rang looping right hand. He showed heart against Ortiz and began to pepper him in the late rounds with combinations, and sitting down on the right hand shot. I believe that Peterson is good enough to catch Khan with a shot he doesn't see coming. Khan will get respect for beating this kid. Peterson's no slouch. I Khan wins on that night, he'd have earned his pay. I'm interested in this fight. Khan would look really dumb if he loses this fight.
PColeman28
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Sep 23 2011, 04:14 PM) *
By showing heart, having good defense, staying close, and landing a long rang looping right hand. He showed heart against Ortiz and began to pepper him in the late rounds with combinations, and sitting down on the right hand shot. I believe that Peterson is good enough to catch Khan with a shot he doesn't see coming. Khan will get respect for beating this kid. Peterson's no slouch. I Khan wins on that night, he'd have earned his pay. I'm interested in this fight. Khan would look really dumb if he loses this fight.

I agree this is a good match up peterson has a shot at this...idk if he'll edge Khan i suppose it depends on how Khan approaches this fight if he doesnt take peterson seriously, lamont will get him
Cshel86
Lamont needs to move just as much as Khan is gonna move, use good head movement, and put extra mustard on every body punch he throws. He doesn't have much power, so he better hope Khan sustains a cut by a class of heads. I really dont see this fight going in Peterson's favor, and I dont see any profit in Khan fighting him.
kingknockout
this fight might lead to an upset. If khan get's hurt, who knows what can happen.
Lil-lightsout
I like this fight a lot. This should be a good test for Khan, and though I favor him, I would not count out Peterson.

I think a Peterson has got to throw between Khan's flurries, not wait for him to finish and move out of range. And from what I remember Peterson kind of froze up sometimes while fighting Ortiz, he needs to be more busy and not give respect to Khan and let his hands go more. I think Peterson cracks decent enough to hurt Khan, the question is if he can get to him. I really think this will be an exciting fight with many punches being thrown.

Sicko
I will call this right now....I think Lamont Peterson takes Khan to HELL AND BACK and GETS ROBBED because he don't have Golden Boy Promotions backing him like Khan does, GBP will do what ever they can to protect Khan career

you thought McCloskey made Khan look amateur by making him miss A LOT during that fight...Peterson will make him look even WORSE!

All Peterson has to do is start faster and pressure Khan and GET IN HIS CHESS and TEAR HIM UP INSIDE with Uppercuts, Maidana was landing those Uppercuts ALL NIGHT during their fight when he got inside of Khan and had him against the ropes

so I think to beat Khan you have to SMOTHER HIM similar to what he did to Cayo, do give him the spacing to use those fast hands, plus he is EXTREMELY WEAK INSIDE, he has no skills fighting inside, I also think his POWER...IS VERY OVERRATED just like Ortiz power was, all the hype they get about their Power...WHO IN THE F@CK have Khan KO'd that was any good, I am talking about a LEGIT AND CLEAN KO??? Dimitry Salita??? lol

A lot of these YOUNGER fighters, we are slowly finding out that A LOT OF THEM are EXTREMELY TALENTED...but VERY OVERRATED and neither are ready for that BIG STAGE, all of them have so many holes and so many weaknesses...the one fight who I think IS ready for that next stage is TIMOTHY BRADLEY, but unfortunately for he didn't have the Promotional Backing like Ortiz and Khan and Alexander

so I got Peterson getting Robbed in either a CONTROVERSIAL STOPPAGE or CONTROVERSIAL DECISION or Lamont Peterson just flat out PULL OFF THE UPSET

Khan is EXTREMELY OVERRATED and he will lose AGAIN before he even makes it to Mayweather
kingknockout
QUOTE (Sicko @ Sep 23 2011, 09:46 PM) *
I will call this right now....I think Lamont Peterson takes Khan to HELL AND BACK and GETS ROBBED because he don't have Golden Boy Promotions backing him like Khan does, GBP will do what ever they can to protect Khan career

you thought McCloskey made Khan look amateur by making him miss A LOT during that fight...Peterson will make him look even WORSE!

All Peterson has to do is start faster and pressure Khan and GET IN HIS CHESS and TEAR HIM UP INSIDE with Uppercuts, Maidana was landing those Uppercuts ALL NIGHT during their fight when he got inside of Khan and had him against the ropes

so I think to beat Khan you have to SMOTHER HIM similar to what he did to Cayo, do give him the spacing to use those fast hands, plus he is EXTREMELY WEAK INSIDE, he has no skills fighting inside, I also think his POWER...IS VERY OVERRATED just like Ortiz power was, all the hype they get about their Power...WHO IN THE F@CK have Khan KO'd that was any good, I am talking about a LEGIT AND CLEAN KO??? Dimitry Salita??? lol

A lot of these YOUNGER fighters, we are slowly finding out that A LOT OF THEM are EXTREMELY TALENTED...but VERY OVERRATED and neither are ready for that BIG STAGE, all of them have so many holes and so many weaknesses...the one fight who I think IS ready for that next stage is TIMOTHY BRADLEY, but unfortunately for he didn't have the Promotional Backing like Ortiz and Khan and Alexander

so I got Peterson getting Robbed in either a CONTROVERSIAL STOPPAGE or CONTROVERSIAL DECISION or Lamont Peterson just flat out PULL OFF THE UPSET

Khan is EXTREMELY OVERRATED and he will lose AGAIN before he even makes it to Mayweather

yep.....I agree on the power thing....Khan's speed is his power.....but far as having natural power, like as if to say just him standing toe to toe and being able to knock someone out with one punch like a tito trinidad, he doesn't have that...his speed is his source of power, he's so fast with his punches that of course when they land you're going to feel them, especially the one's you don't see coming...if peterson can make sure he doesn't use his range, and cut his punches short by fighting close khan will have trouble.
checkleft
I like Peterson he's a tough crafty smart fighter. If he time Khan with a few rights and starts pushing him back, but unless he makes the fight sloppy like mcklowskey did or he lands something good than i see this going something like how th maliganagi fight did. But Peterson will make it a little more competitive, but I see the reach being too much.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Khan seems to be a funny and polarizing fighter. Before the Maidana fight many on this board predicted he didn't have the chin to deal with Maidana's power and he would lose. Then came the Judah fight and a surprising amount of people said Judah would beat him.

From memory even back to when he fought an old Barerra there were many on these boards who said the old man would pull the upset.

And now it's Peterson. I suppose once he gets past him y'all be saying he won't beat Bradley and once he gets past him it will be Mayweather. I'm not a huge fan of Khan but what I will say is he trains like a beast, always comes in very professional shape and obviously listens to his trainer because he is improving. However no matter who he beats you swiftly forget it and pull another name out of your arse.

Sure I'm no fan of Mayweather, I think his career choces leave a lot to be desired, but at least I can appreciate the fact that he beats every guy they out in front of him and realistically there is only one guy at 147 that stands half a chance. Now I'm not comparing the 2 but geez at least give the guy his kudos when he goes out and wins especially if it's against guys you picked to beat him.
kingknockout
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 23 2011, 11:16 PM) *
Khan seems to be a funny and polarizing fighter. Before the Maidana fight many on this board predicted he didn't have the chin to deal with Maidana's power and he would lose. Then came the Judah fight and a surprising amount of people said Judah would beat him.

From memory even back to when he fought an old Barerra there were many on these boards who said the old man would pull the upset.

And now it's Peterson. I suppose once he gets past him y'all be saying he won't beat Bradley and once he gets past him it will be Mayweather. I'm not a huge fan of Khan but what I will say is he trains like a beast, always comes in very professional shape and obviously listens to his trainer because he is improving. However no matter who he beats you swiftly forget it and pull another name out of your arse.

Sure I'm no fan of Mayweather, I think his career choces leave a lot to be desired, but at least I can appreciate the fact that he beats every guy they out in front of him and realistically there is only one guy at 147 that stands half a chance. Now I'm not comparing the 2 but geez at least give the guy his kudos when he goes out and wins especially if it's against guys you picked to beat him.

I don't be on these boards much to know that people always counted khan out. damn lol, seems like dude is always the underdog.
Sicko
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 23 2011, 08:16 PM) *

you want respect you gotta EARN IT IN THE RING, his last two damn fights ended in CONTROVERSY...I should be impressed by that? Yes he has talent, nobody is denying that, but he hasn't done ANYTHING to even be listed as a potential opponent for Mayweather...HELL he haven't even fought at 147 yet...this is were the "OVERRATED" tag comes in because the dude talks as if he is in that Mayweather and Pacquiao category and right now...HE IS NOT!

Fight Peterson, then after that maybe Move Up to 147 and take on A FEW GOOD OPPONENTS...AND THEN start talking about fighting Mayweather because his last few fights I haven't been all that impressed and I see A LOT OF WEAKNESSES!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Sep 24 2011, 03:37 PM) *
I don't be on these boards much to know that people always counted khan out. damn lol, seems like dude is always the underdog.

Mate in the last fight I think the poll had close to 50% Judah winning the fight. Judah!
Cshel86
QUOTE (Sicko @ Sep 23 2011, 11:38 PM) *
you want respect you gotta EARN IT IN THE RING, his last two damn fights ended in CONTROVERSY...I should be impressed by that? Yes he has talent, nobody is denying that, but he hasn't done ANYTHING to even be listed as a potential opponent for Mayweather...HELL he haven't even fought at 147 yet...this is were the "OVERRATED" tag comes in because the dude talks as if he is in that Mayweather and Pacquiao category and right now...HE IS NOT!

Fight Peterson, then after that maybe Move Up to 147 and take on A FEW GOOD OPPONENTS...AND THEN start talking about fighting Mayweather because his last few fights I haven't been all that impressed and I see A LOT OF WEAKNESSES!

I believe this is what he's planning on doing. Peterson as his upcoming opponent, could have been Bradley, Guerrero, Maidana, Matthysse, Morales, or whoever at 140, but everything pretty much fell through. Im not the biggest Khan fan in the world, but he has grown on me, and the sickening antics of the 140 lb division have driven me to make this decision. He is the only consistent guy in the division, and everybody else is either having contract issues, sick, have pre-existing and recurring injuries, mental midgets, too damn old, needs to move up in weight, or they just plain dont have it in them to be a champion.

In my opinion, Khan is taking advantage of all this mess going on in the division. He is closer to a Mayweather fight than anybody else at 140, and thats my true belief. If he isn't doing anything else, he is becoming a star at 140; and stars are what we were promised a few years ago when this division began to boom. Remember that? Im sure we all remember a loaded division full of promising and rising stars, and what are all stuck with?...a bunch of roaches after the light switch flips on.
kingknockout
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 23 2011, 11:39 PM) *
Mate in the last fight I think the poll had close to 50% Judah winning the fight. Judah!

lol i don't know if I voted in that thread, but if I did it probably was because I didn't know enough about khan, and just wanted judah to win.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Sicko @ Sep 24 2011, 03:38 PM) *

The fight with Judah only ended in controversy coz Judah acted like a bitch coz he knew he was getting handed it bad. Just like Ortiz he was lookin for a way out. that was not khan's fault. the fact that you even brings it up just shows your bias against the guy.

He beat Judah for every minute of every round in that fight. Deal with it.

The McCloskey stoppage as well he had nothing to do with and again that was a fight he was controlling. As for deserving his shot at Mayweather, oh yeah Ortiz and guys like Judah deserved their shot at him? Nice try mate.
PColeman28
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 23 2011, 04:44 PM) *
Lamont needs to move just as much as Khan is gonna move, use good head movement, and put extra mustard on every body punch he throws. He doesn't have much power, so he better hope Khan sustains a cut by a class of heads. I really dont see this fight going in Peterson's favor, and I dont see any profit in Khan fighting him.

when he fought cayo on espn lol...both them dudes had zero power that night, i couldn't believe they were title contenders....that's i think if khan just comes out like a beast it'll be easy work for him, unless he comes out sluggish
Cshel86
QUOTE (PColeman28 @ Sep 24 2011, 02:12 PM) *
when he fought cayo on espn lol...both them dudes had zero power that night, i couldn't believe they were title contenders....that's i think if khan just comes out like a beast it'll be easy work for him, unless he comes out sluggish

Tell me about it, if anything, they had decent power, but not power that changes the pace of a fight. When I heard this fight was made, I was disappointed for Khan and concerned for Peterson, he could've taken any other fight instead of this one. I believe Peterson was a mandatory, but I cant remember. If Khan plays his cards right, then he could come out looking like a beast in this fight, but he should be careful because he is in there with a slick boxer.
PColeman28
exactly
Sicko
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 23 2011, 11:00 PM) *
The fight with Judah only ended in controversy coz Judah acted like a bitch coz he knew he was getting handed it bad. Just like Ortiz he was lookin for a way out. that was not khan's fault. the fact that you even brings it up just shows your bias against the guy.

He beat Judah for every minute of every round in that fight. Deal with it.

The McCloskey stoppage as well he had nothing to do with and again that was a fight he was controlling. As for deserving his shot at Mayweather, oh yeah Ortiz and guys like Judah deserved their shot at him? Nice try mate.

Ortiz moved up to 147 and had a good match with Berto (who was the #2 or #3 rated Welterweight at the time regardless if he was OVERRATED and UNTESTED) that created a huge Buzz for him and earned his way to the #2 spot in the Welterweight Division...so yeah, he did earn his way into a match with Mayweather...Mayweather was going to fight the winner of Berto vs Ortiz regardless according to some

Khan is talking Mayweather, but then he turns around and say "After A Few More Fights"...if your not ready now...then stop talking about him!
kingknockout
i think peterson need to use that right straight in this fight when he's on the outside, khan will be a sucker for it, he needs to sneak it in there and bring it back fast to keep him safe from a counter....alot of fighters fail on throwing that right..just like they fail on using that jab...and that's what makes timothy so dangerous, he uses his jab and he doesn't abandon his right hand....I seen tim use both in the first couple of rounds of the witter fight, he used it in his holt bout, and he kept sticking to it in the peterson bout, which all gave him the victory, he also uses body shots on top of that, his offensive skills are quite good, and I can tell out of alot of fighters, he's one that actually sticks to some of the basics and he listens to his corner.

he fights smart and does what he supposes to.....Khan can be beat in this fight, but peterson will need to listen to his trainer and stick to the basics.
Cshel86
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Sep 24 2011, 06:30 PM) *
i think peterson need to use that right straight in this fight when he's on the outside, khan will be a sucker for it, he needs to sneak it in there and bring it back fast to keep him safe from a counter....alot of fighters fail on throwing that right..just like they fail on using that jab...and that's what makes timothy so dangerous, he uses his jab and he doesn't abandon his right hand....I seen tim use both in the first couple of rounds of the witter fight, he used it in his holt bout, and he kept sticking to it in the peterson bout, which all gave him the victory, he also uses body shots on top of that, his offensive skills are quite good, and I can tell out of alot of fighters, he's one that actually sticks to some of the basics and he listens to his corner.

he fights smart and does what he supposes to.....Khan can be beat in this fight, but peterson will need to listen to his trainer and stick to the basics.

You are on point with this post, especially with the straight right hand hand because Khan is a sucker for it. Most of his opponents forget the gameplan and get distracted by his constant movement. As tired as Maidana was, he walked Khan down and caught him with a nasty broadcasted overhand right, so there's no reason a fighter cant be successful with a straight right hand, especially if its somewhat of a quick one.

Great observation on Bradley, and I definitely saw it in the Peterson fight that I just watched again a couple of days ago (thanks to Lightsout, lol). Lamont is a better listener than his brother, because Anthony gets frustrated and goes into this knucklehead trance when being outgunned. Barry Hunter is gonna be on his ass about that jab, so look out that. "Look son, the jab is what's happening. Whats wrong with your jab? Whats the matter?" Hahahaha!!! Sound like Hunter?
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 23 2011, 10:39 PM) *

it was more of wishful thinkin......
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Sep 24 2011, 05:30 PM) *

+1

you also forgot to mention..... that HEAD!!
mrchitown
I believe that Peterson has a chance but he'll have to make Khan fight backing up. I think he can achieve this through working the body in those earlier rounds and then shooting that right hand in there. Focus and head movement will also play a factor in how the fight plays out. If Lamont can slip Khan's jabs and hooks and bang the body, he might come out with the W
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Sicko @ Sep 25 2011, 08:04 AM) *
Ortiz moved up to 147 and had a good match with Berto (who was the #2 or #3 rated Welterweight at the time regardless if he was OVERRATED and UNTESTED) that created a huge Buzz for him and earned his way to the #2 spot in the Welterweight Division...so yeah, he did earn his way into a match with Mayweather...Mayweather was going to fight the winner of Berto vs Ortiz regardless according to some

Khan is talking Mayweather, but then he turns around and say "After A Few More Fights"...if your not ready now...then stop talking about him!

Mate you should know that half the job in modern boxing is building the hype towards a fight and get the buzz going in advance. Mayweather did it really well when he targeted Fishnets. Now even I'm not insane enough to put Khan on the same level as Mayweather talent wise but I see nothing wrong following his blueprint for hyping fights.

Another really good example is the way Tarver dogged RJJ's to get that first match. Tarver already had a loss on his record, just like Khan, but that didn't stop him from talking his way into a big fight.

Khan is already a BIG 140 pounder and Mayweather is the biggest name in the sport. He's already ruled out facing Pac because of the friendship/trainer situation so Mayweather is the obvious name to target and he gets asked a lot about it by the press. Why not talk it up? You'd be nuts not to. I mean at the same time Mayweather is talking up Vargas to face Khan and frankly speaking I think he has les chance in that fight than Khan has against Mayweather but that doesn't stop PBF talking it up.

I just love how offended you get that Khan should even want to discuss Mayweather as possible future opponent like that's the worst thing a fighter could ever do, talk about guys he'd like to fight. laugh.gif
Cshel86
Khan will hit Peterson from a distance that he cant fire back, but thats where Lamont's head movement is supposed to come in.
Sicko
QUOTE (Sicko @ Sep 23 2011, 05:46 PM) *

^THIS GUY IS A GENIUS HAHAHAHA taunt.gif thumbsup_anim.gif

Naw seriously though congrats to Peterson...glad he did not get ROBBED because Golden Boy Promotions is just as bad and Corrupt as Top Rank IMO

Khan fans QUIT B!TCHING...A Mere Con is lucky he did not get a DQ with all the dirty tactics he was doing, Headlocks, PUSHING, HOLDING THE BACK OF PETERSON HEAD

Like I said PETERSON IS NO JOKE and A Mere Con is EXTREMELY OVERRATED! Even if they would have given Khan the Decision, he did not impress ANYONE with that fight...NOT EVEN HIS OWN FANS!

Stop talking about Mayweather and focus on 140, I think Robert Guerrero would school Khan as would Timothy Bradley (as I have said many of times before) and I think the two young up and comers in the division: Danny "Swift" Garcia and Vernon Paris would probably beat him, Garcia actually has the Power to probably Knock Him Out! And Paris Body Punches would kill Khan especially since Khan can't fight inside to save his life
kingknockout
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Sep 24 2011, 05:30 PM) *

laugh.gif called it.
Cshel86
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Dec 13 2011, 08:18 PM) *
laugh.gif called it.

+1

I didn't see Peterson making it out to be a fight, but shit, I didn't see him outhustling and fight to a draw either.
kingknockout
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 13 2011, 08:48 PM) *
+1

I didn't see Peterson making it out to be a fight, but shit, I didn't see him outhustling and fight to a draw either.

i just want to know how long can he keep his titles
Cshel86
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Dec 13 2011, 09:13 PM) *
i just want to know how long can he keep his titles

Who knows? He may surprise us. Hell, he showed us that Khan is just as questionable as some of these other fighters when it comes to facing live opposition.
kingknockout
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 13 2011, 09:20 PM) *
Who knows? He may surprise us. Hell, he showed us that Khan is just as questionable as some of these other fighters when it comes to facing live opposition.

is that a shot at gamboa and froch? laugh.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Dec 13 2011, 09:23 PM) *
is that a shot at gamboa and froch? laugh.gif

laugh.gif

You may have a point!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.