Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bob Arum's Take On Things (Topics Merged)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
HazConvictedFelonMane

Tell me what you guys think. Is he making excuses? Skip to 3:30
HazConvictedFelonMane
To get to the nitty gritty, skip the video to the 3:30 mark. That's the issue at hand. Give me your UNBIASED opinion on what you hear Mr. Arum say.
caneman
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Sep 25 2011, 11:13 AM) *
To get to the nitty gritty, skip the video to the 3:30 mark. That's the issue at hand. Give me your UNBIASED opinion on what you hear Mr. Arum say.

You 1st...I bet you can't or you wouldn't have made this thread! focus.gif
JONdaCON817
well i think the entire interview was BS... i doubt he really believe Margs gloves werent loaded...

and to get to the Mayweather part... yea it sounds like BS with his dumb studdering ass...

i mean yeaa May needs to get his legal shyt together but thats not whats keeping this fight from happening...
Cshel86
Seems like the majority of the boxing world is on coke:

Margarito had no idea his gloves were loaded.
Mayweather is slowing losing his sanity.
Arum says that the OSDT has been agreed upon for a year and a half.
Ortiz believes that he was getting the best of Mayweather and he deserves a rematch
Oscar is tweeting in Ortiz's defense and believes that Ortiz was just warming up.
Zab Judah quit in a fight and believed that he was hit low...though he never attempted to speak up at the scene of the incident. Then he decides to protest it.
DiBella wants OSDT
Bradley believes he's worth a high 7-figure payday
Russell Mora didn't recall any lowblows in the Mares/Agbeko fight, but he kept tellin Mares to "keep 'em up" the whole fight
Joe Cortez (the Master Meddler), wasn't his usual meddling self last weekend.

I could go forever...see the pattern of drug abuse?
caneman
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 25 2011, 12:12 PM) *

Ortiz believes that he was getting the best of Mayweather and he deserves a rematch
Oscar is tweeting in Ortiz's defense and believes that Ortiz was just warming up.
Zab Judah quit in a fight and believed that he was hit low...though he never attempted to speak up at the scene of the incident. Then he decides to protest it.
DiBella wants OSDT
Russell Mora didn't recall any lowblows in the Mares/Agbeko fight, but he kept tellin Mares to "keep 'em up" the whole fight

great points bro!!!! I don't care what Arum says BTW!
Cshel86
QUOTE (caneman @ Sep 25 2011, 01:21 PM) *
great points bro!!!! I don't care what Arum says BTW!

Thanks! It seems like everybody is crying about PEDs nowadays, but they are ruling out coke for some reason! Nobody's above a sniff or two. Lol
HazConvictedFelonMane
QUOTE (caneman @ Sep 25 2011, 12:52 PM) *
You 1st...I bet you can't or you wouldn't have made this thread! focus.gif

Well. my UNBIASED opinion says that both guys are lying and may be a little apprehensive about facing the other. Both sides have contradicted themselves on many occasions. I think that the fans need this fight. I'm one of them, and I don't care how they get it done, they need to get it done on the double time.
lloyd mayflower
I think what Bob is saying is basically that you shouldnt beat down upon females or it will catch up to you.
duwdu
Basically, Bob was saying that he hoped Mayweather goes to jail during 2012 on account of his current legal troubles so there may not be a need for the super fight after all. In my opinion, he (Arum) was (1) diverting attention away from the emerging financial trauma engulfing him and Pacquiao, and (2) giving notice that he might not make/agree to the fight after all.

P34c3
Cheesey1
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 25 2011, 01:29 PM) *
Thanks! It seems like everybody is crying about PEDs nowadays, but they are ruling out coke for some reason! Nobody's above a sniff or two. Lol

I know that you were joking but OSDT, obviously includes tests for cocaine.
mgrover
whats a fucking bitch i hope he dies, slowly, preferably by what he's destroying, if boxing kills him slowly and painfully it would be great
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Sep 25 2011, 05:29 PM) *
I know that you were joking and but OSDT, obviously includes tests for cocaine.

Uh duh, no shit. How many fighters are actually doing OSDTing anyway? How many fighters talk wreckless, delusional, nonsense when given the opportunity? Like I tell everybody else, check your spelling and grammar before you try to rain on my parade. It was a joke for God's sake, but what's not funny is your jacked up post...I know that you were joking and but OSDT, obviously includes tests for cocaine. C'mon Cheesey1...
HazConvictedFelonMane
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Sep 25 2011, 03:17 PM) *
I think what Bob is saying is basically that you shouldnt beat down upon females or it will catch up to you.

You have to be the only clown huh?
caneman
Call the kettle black much black?
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 25 2011, 12:12 PM) *

DiBella wants OSDT

+1 to this entire post... "cocaine is a helluva drug"
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (duwdu @ Sep 25 2011, 04:15 PM) *
Basically, Bob was saying that he hoped Mayweather goes to jail during 2012 on account of his current legal troubles so there may not be a need for the super fight after all. In my opinion, he (Arum) was (1) diverting attention away from the emerging financial trauma engulfing him and Pacquiao, and (2) giving notice that he might not make/agree to the fight after all.

P34c3

He knows Pac is gonna lose...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 25 2011, 05:37 PM) *
Uh duh, no shit. How many fighters are actually doing OSDTing anyway? How many fighters talk wreckless, delusional, nonsense when given the opportunity? Like I tell everybody else, check your spelling and grammar before you try to rain on my parade. It was a joke for God's sake, but what's not funny is your jacked up post...I know that you were joking and but OSDT, obviously includes tests for cocaine. C'mon Cheesey1...
Definitely wasn't trying to rain on your parade and yes, in hindsight, my post was on the redundant side of things.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Sep 25 2011, 08:21 PM) *
Definitely wasn't trying to rain on your parade and yes, in hindsight, my post was on the redundant side of things.

Well I felt rained on for a second, but its cool. Lol. Maybe because we were out of Budweisers, but thats taken care of too.
Cshel86
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Sep 25 2011, 07:58 PM) *
+1 to this entire post... "cocaine is a helluva drug"

Tell me about it! Lol!
gravytrain

that video kind of reminds me of this
BoxingEinstein

Fuck Mayweather, Fuck Pacman, Fuck Arum

There are other more important fights besides there 3 fuck tards. I like Mayweather as a boxer. I like Pacman as a fighter. But Arum is part of the reason why the fights we wanted see didn't happen. SMH
checkleft
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Sep 26 2011, 01:30 PM) *
Fuck Mayweather, Fuck Pacman, Fuck Arum

There are other more important fights besides there 3 fuck tards. I like Mayweather as a boxer. I like Pacman as a fighter. But Arum is part of the reason why the fights we wanted see didn't happen. SMH

Love it

Great post man.

The sport would be better off without all three probably.
daprofessor
shit interview with a bunch of meatball questions.

is it just me...or does maxboxing seem like shills for toprank? never read or heard them ask a tough question to bob or any of his fighters.

-margarito should be banned for life.

-making this rematch with cotto is a disgrace.

-ufc/boxing....there is no competition and all that talk is ridiculous.

-the question about testing should have been...'did pacquiao agree to olympic style testing all the way up until the day of? answer: no.
torvix3000
No no no! The question is: Is the OSDT the only thing left that Floyd wants?
Cshel86
QUOTE (torvix3000 @ Sep 27 2011, 04:22 AM) *
No no no! The question is: Is the OSDT the only thing left that Floyd wants?

If this is the case, then its all on Arum from this point on. Im pretty sure Floyd will make a fuss about money this time around, cause that 50/50 split was so long ago and his bipolar disorder will kick in sooner or later.
Allmenjoi8
If reports are true and Manny is struggling financially he needs this pay day. If Arum gets 30% of Manny's earnings then this fight will make him even richer. Not to mention merchandise,PPV, gate money, and everything else that can be sold each fighter can make probably 100 million off this fight. The question is after Manny fight May and vica versa where do they go from there? There is Khan and Martinez but after that then what? Each fighter has 3 fights left in them. I do not think Pac is a big problem for Manny and maybe Arum and Manny knows this. If Manny loses to May then his career is done. So maybe he is trying to rack up as much money and wins before he calls it quits. He does plan to retire in 2013
caneman
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Sep 27 2011, 09:47 AM) *
If reports are true and Manny is struggling financially he needs this pay day. If Arum gets 30% of Manny's earnings then this fight will make him even richer. Not to mention merchandise,PPV, gate money, and everything else that can be sold each fighter can make probably 100 million off this fight. The question is after Manny fight May and vica versa where do they go from there? There is Khan and Martinez but after that then what? Each fighter has 3 fights left in them. I do not think Pac is a big problem for Manny and maybe Arum and Manny knows this. If Manny loses to May then his career is done. So maybe he is trying to rack up as much money and wins before he calls it quits. He does plan to retire in 2013

How does 1 loss to an ATG make a career over? Where do you come up with with this ish???? laugh.gif
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (caneman @ Sep 27 2011, 10:45 AM) *
How does 1 loss to an ATG make a career over? Where do you come up with with this ish???? laugh.gif

Because it will be the only fight he can generate that kind of money. If May loses it is over for him. That 0 keeps his career interesting. SO if Manny fights the one person that can beat him and he loses he will be second best and they know May will be the top dog. So why fight the seond best when you can get twice as much fighting the top dog. I will say this his market will go down. It will not be an end all to his career but the interest will not be generated to him like it is now. By them not fighting generates interest to the hope of them fighting. If Pac loses what does he have to prove? Beating, Khan, Berto, Ortiz etc? My question if he loses to May what else does he have to look forward too? And vica versa? A rematch maybe, it will depend how each guy wins/loses. Can you understand where I am coming from?
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Sep 27 2011, 05:06 PM) *
Because it will be the only fight he can generate that kind of money. If May loses it is over for him. That 0 keeps his career interesting. SO if Manny fights the one person that can beat him and he loses he will be second best and they know May will be the top dog. So why fight the seond best when you can get twice as much fighting the top dog. I will say this his market will go down. It will not be an end all to his career but the interest will not be generated to him like it is now. By them not fighting generates interest to the hope of them fighting. If Pac loses what does he have to prove? Beating, Khan, Berto, Ortiz etc? My question if he loses to May what else does he have to look forward too? And vica versa? A rematch maybe, it will depend how each guy wins/loses. Can you understand where I am coming from?

Okay, I caught your drift at the end. Whew! You are right, neither one of them have another "money-generating" opponent to look forward to after they fight eachother. I cant necessarily agree that it will be the end of their careers if one of them were to lose. If either were to lose, it would definitely be a rematch and possibly a rubber match.

If FMJ loses, it will be a new and painfully humbling situation, but he would look at his paycheck, suck it up and sign for a rematch. The only way a rematch wont happen is if, May loses, and then he is offered less money in the rematch. This would be grounds for him to raise all hell and find a reason to refuse a rematch. If Pac loses, then he would surely be upset, but it wouldn't be a new situation for him. He would look at his paycheck, suck it up, and sign for the rematch as well.

You got good ol' Sergio out there willing to kill himself to come down to "150" to fight either of these guys no2.gif The weight drain woul dmake his less effective and FMJ would probably just box this guy, because slugging with him is just not smart. If he fights Pac at that ridiculous weight, it would be somewhat of a Pacquiao/De La Hoya repeat...may not as bad though.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 28 2011, 01:20 PM) *
Okay, I caught your drift at the end. Whew! You are right, neither one of them have another "money-generating" opponent to look forward to after they fight eachother. ough.

Even if they fight and one loses either guy has an enormous fan base and if either fought on they would still make multi-million dollars paydays which I would consider 'money generating.'
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Sep 28 2011, 03:47 AM) *
I do not think Pac is a big problem for Manny and maybe Arum and Manny knows this.

Good to see you've finally caught on AllMAN, you're right Manny is no problem for himself. He only needs to look in the mirror to realize his own awesomeness.

For the record I don't think he has a problem with Floyd either.
Cshel86
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 27 2011, 09:14 PM) *
Even if they fight and one loses either guy has an enormous fan base and if either fought on they would still make multi-million dollars paydays which I would consider 'money generating.'

I get what you're saying, but I dont see Mayweather fighting anybody other than Pacquiao and getting his highest purse ever, and the same goes for Pacquaio. Nobody is in demand of a fight bigger than this, and unfortunately, there aren't anymore "stars" or fighters with drawing power, in the sport that are worthy of generating that much money for these two in the near fututre. Again, and unfortunately, the up-and-coming stars in the sport are so busy trying to dip in Pacquiao/Mayweather affairs, that they are rushing and destroying their own careers.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 28 2011, 03:18 PM) *
I get what you're saying, but I dont see Mayweather fighting anybody other than Pacquiao and getting his highest purse ever, and the same goes for Pacquaio. Nobody is in demand of a fight bigger than this, and unfortunately, there aren't anymore "stars" or fighters with drawing power, in the sport that are worthy of generating that much money for these two in the near fututre. Again, and unfortunately, the up-and-coming stars in the sport are so busy trying to dip in Pacquiao/Mayweather affairs, that they are rushing and destroying their own careers.

Oh agreed, it will easily be a career high payday for both guys, but even if they fight on afterwards they will not be receiving chump change to do so. AllMAN makes it sounds like if Manny lost he would end up on Friday Night Fights fighting for about 20 grand and this is simply not the case. For either guy.
gravytrain
i think if Mayweather and Pac fight the loser wouldn't get too hurt by the loss. i doubt they could expect to get paid like their rival but if they can sell PPVs HBO isn't going to turn them down.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 27 2011, 08:16 PM) *
Good to see you've finally caught on AllMAN, you're right Manny is no problem for himself. He only needs to look in the mirror to realize his own awesomeness.

For the record I don't think he has a problem with Floyd either.

You know what I meant to say. I don't think either guy has a problem with the other. I think Arum is the middle man putting fuel to the fire. If he removed himself from the situation this would be made. I still like May by either stoppage or a decision.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 27 2011, 09:27 PM) *
Oh agreed, it will easily be a career high payday for both guys, but even if they fight on afterwards they will not be receiving chump change to do so. AllMAN makes it sounds like if Manny lost he would end up on Friday Night Fights fighting for about 20 grand and this is simply not the case. For either guy.

That is not what I meant. The money Pac generates now is a lot. If he loses to May I do not think he will make as much. IF you are use to fighting for 20 million or 30 million and that stock drops to 15 million or even 10 million. Pac will not generate the same interest. He will still get big fights but not at the height it is now and the same would go for Floyd. That was my only point.
torvix3000
I think that if Floyd loses, that he'd lose his sanity, too. He'll do a Hatton snipping cokes in bars.
Cshel86
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 27 2011, 10:27 PM) *

+1

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Sep 28 2011, 01:54 AM) *
i think if Mayweather and Pac fight the loser wouldn't get too hurt by the loss. i doubt they could expect to get paid like their rival but if they can sell PPVs HBO isn't going to turn them down.

That's true. The greatest fighters are bound to lose some day, thats if they already haven't. If they have a strong fan base, then they will be okay. If they happened to strike gold and get a couple of big fights, then they should really worry about losing. So like you said, HBO wont turn these guys down for a long while.

QUOTE (torvix3000 @ Sep 28 2011, 11:11 AM) *
I think that if Floyd loses, that he'd lose his sanity, too. He'll do a Hatton snipping cokes in bars.

I cant argue with you on that one, and its definitely not out of the question if he loses. People's vices tend to surface in major ways when they are brought down to size or when they hit rock bottom.
CrazyBuffalO
They donít want the fight because of pride. But itís the kind of pride thatís counter-productive for them.

Ok, suppose Manny wasnít on PEDs. Heís still got those 3 loses under his belt. Even though heís become champion of various divisions, the point is that heís still got 3 loses. Because of that he cannot be on the same level as Floyd. So Mannyís inferiority to Floyd lies not only on the issue of using PEDs, but on the fact for having 3 loses as opposed to a 0 loss.
1 loss is enough. 2 loses is too much. 3 loses is outright disgraceful.

And so every time on the negotiating table they want to set their absurd demands and mandates, but what they donít truly understand is that they have got a fighter who is not as superior as Floyd. Maybe what theyíve accomplished so little made them big heads and made them think theyíre now on the same level as Floyd.

I mean look at Fedor of MMA, once he racked up 3 loses he decided to stop. Maybe heíll be back in the future, but the point is heís temporarily stopped. At least heís sensible enough to quit. Maybe Manny should learn a little something from Fedor and just leave boxing be.
maac
This is without doubt one of the most ignorant posts written here.

Intelligence, common sense: to where they have gone away?

QUOTE (CrazyBuffalO @ Sep 28 2011, 11:36 AM) *
They donít want the fight because of pride. But itís the kind of pride thatís counter-productive for them.

Ok, suppose Manny wasnít on PEDs. Heís still got those 3 loses under his belt. Even though heís become champion of various divisions, the point is that heís still got 3 loses. Because of that he cannot be on the same level as Floyd. So Mannyís inferiority to Floyd lies not only on the issue of using PEDs, but on the fact for having 3 loses as opposed to a 0 loss.

And so every time on the negotiating table they want to set their absurd demands and mandates, but what they donít truly understand is that they have got a fighter who is not as superior as Floyd. Maybe what theyíve accomplished so little made them big heads and made them think theyíre now on the same level as Floyd.

I mean look at Fedor of MMA, once he racked up 3 loses he decided to stop. Maybe heíll be back in the future, but the point is heís temporarily stopped. At least heís sensible enough to quit. Maybe Manny should learn a little something from Fedor and just leave boxing be.

Cshel86
QUOTE (CrazyBuffalO @ Sep 28 2011, 12:36 PM) *

I believe at this point, those 3 losses and 2 draws hold no power in the negotiations, since Pacquiao is pretty much a sure-as-shit betting favorite, despite his opponents and their present conditions (whatever they may be). Now if Pac had a high chance of losing most of his bouts, then his record would make a difference. The only person that it makes a difference to, is Mayweather, and it should...but only in the fight.

Decent post, though most of it was opinion-based. Please dont prove my theory about you only responding to Mayweather/Pacquiao based threads to be true.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Sep 29 2011, 03:59 AM) *
That is not what I meant. The money Pac generates now is a lot. If he loses to May I do not think he will make as much. IF you are use to fighting for 20 million or 30 million and that stock drops to 15 million or even 10 million. Pac will not generate the same interest. He will still get big fights but not at the height it is now and the same would go for Floyd. That was my only point.

You said: "If Manny loses to Floyd his career is done." How else would you expect someone to take it? If either guy loses their careers are not 'done.'
EAlbian
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 28 2011, 03:56 PM) *
You said: "If Manny loses to Floyd his career is done." How else would you expect someone to take it? If either guy loses their careers are not 'done.'

haha Ollie you love going after this poor feeble minded girl. Baby lets see that pic hahaha
Allmenjoi8
[quote name='The Ollie Reed Fan Club' date='Sep 28 2011, 03:56 PM' post='539320']
[/quote

In a sense it would be done. If he loses to May then what would be the excitement to him? He would still generate money but not the type of monies that he is used to. His popularity would go down probably in the US. He would still be popular in his country. Maybe he would retire after the fight. I just do not think he would be as popular and generate as much interest. He would still get decent fights...
EAlbian
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 28 2011, 01:33 PM) *
I believe at this point, those 3 losses and 2 draws hold no power in the negotiations, since Pacquiao is pretty much a sure-as-shit betting favorite, despite his opponents and their present conditions (whatever they may be). Now if Pac had a high chance of losing most of his bouts, then his record would make a difference. The only person that it makes a difference to, is Mayweather, and it should...but only in the fight.

Decent post, though most of it was opinion-based. Please dont prove my theory about you only responding to Mayweather/Pacquiao based threads to be true.

Mayweather is still the favorite, if these odds are still current(http://www.belmont.com/sports-news/mayweather-vs-pacquiao/betting-odds-lines/) I don't see it ever falling under even odds unless Mayweather loses, just my opinion tho.

Buffalo losses don't define your career in boxing, wins do. Right now there is a solid case to be made that Pac has the better wins. As you have said before that you are a Mayweather fan and not a fan of boxing, therefore you will probably never understand this. Hagler had losses, didn't matter in his peak. Whittaker vs Chavez, Chavez was undefeated and was taken to school by an equally great fighter who had a loss. Undefeated records don't hold weight over a solidified resume, not saying May's resume isn't good. Your argument is weak, Fedor had those losses on the tail-end of his career(deteriorated). Pac has gotten better, not the same thing.

Go to a Mayweather fan-boy site, this is not the place for you
EAlbian
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Sep 28 2011, 04:40 PM) *
In a sense it would be done. If he loses to May then what would be the excitement to him? He would still generate money but not the type of monies that he is used to. His popularity would go down probably in the US. He would still be popular in his country. Maybe he would retire after the fight. I just do not think he would be as popular and generate as much interest. He would still get decent fights...

How about making 10 million+ a fight?? He could still fight Cotto again. Could fight Ortiz, Berto, Bradley, Rios, Gamboa. He's still a huge draw. He lost to Morales and that only propelled him to bigger things. The guy needs more money to maintain his lifestyle. If the fight is close there is always a rematch as well. A loss to Mayweather is more damaging than it is to Pac, Pac can come back and thats been proven. We havent seen that yet from May
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Sep 29 2011, 10:54 AM) *
How about making 10 million+ a fight?? He could still fight Cotto again. Could fight Ortiz, Berto, Bradley, Rios, Gamboa. He's still a huge draw. He lost to Morales and that only propelled him to bigger things. The guy needs more money to maintain his lifestyle. If the fight is close there is always a rematch as well. A loss to Mayweather is more damaging than it is to Pac, Pac can come back and thats been proven. We havent seen that yet from May

Interesting that you threw Cotto's name in there. he is a guy who has had a couple of brutal losses but he is as popular as ever due to his style of fighting. Same with Trinidad, losses never seemed to affect his popularity or De la Hoya or Tyson or...................well I could go on and on.
EAlbian
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 28 2011, 05:47 PM) *
Interesting that you threw Cotto's name in there. he is a guy who has had a couple of brutal losses but he is as popular as ever due to his style of fighting. Same with Trinidad, losses never seemed to affect his popularity or De la Hoya or Tyson or...................well I could go on and on.

Not saying I want to see it again or think the outcome would be different but it's a fight Cotto has been pushing for and Arum has mentioned. Fighters come back, its what the game is about. People write fighters off after 1 loss all the time, Pac's had 3(only 1 from a mainstream audience perspective tho) and this one is gonna end him haha.
gravytrain
QUOTE (CrazyBuffalO @ Sep 28 2011, 12:36 PM) *

Archie Moore 185(131)-23(7)-10, SRR 173(108)-19(1)-6 and Pep 229(65)-11(6)-1. what about those 3 losses?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.