Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.3 Million PPV Buys for Mayweather-Ortiz
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
EAlbian
QUOTE (Deevel79 @ Sep 30 2011, 03:00 PM) *
2 weeks later and till no confirmation on the ppv buy #'s. dntknw.gif

from Dan Rafeal of ESPN:

"I have been in touch with Richard Schaefer and HBO regularly. They simply do not have enough data yet from some huge systems to make an accurate report of the numbers. What people dont realize is that when numbers are announced they are done based on years of experience and extrapalation of numbers based on comparing fights to other similar fights and totals in certain markets. For whatever reason this fight has been harder than others. That said both Schaefer and HBO, without saying a specific number they do not have yet, both have told me that without question the fight is well over 1 million buys. The big question is how much over. They want to announce a number that they believe will be close enough to the real number and since it may be 1.3 or more and edge close to 2nd all-time non heavyweight they want to be right. By the same token, it could be 1.2 or 1.25 and not hit 1.3. They just want to be correct from what they both tell me. But the rumors and innuendo that it did poorly is just a load of crap."

ks1
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Sep 30 2011, 04:17 PM) *
from Dan Rafeal of ESPN:

"I have been in touch with Richard Schaefer and HBO regularly. They simply do not have enough data yet from some huge systems to make an accurate report of the numbers. What people dont realize is that when numbers are announced they are done based on years of experience and extrapalation of numbers based on comparing fights to other similar fights and totals in certain markets. For whatever reason this fight has been harder than others. That said both Schaefer and HBO, without saying a specific number they do not have yet, both have told me that without question the fight is well over 1 million buys. The big question is how much over. They want to announce a number that they believe will be close enough to the real number and since it may be 1.3 or more and edge close to 2nd all-time non heavyweight they want to be right. By the same token, it could be 1.2 or 1.25 and not hit 1.3. They just want to be correct from what they both tell me. But the rumors and innuendo that it did poorly is just a load of crap."

Well done. I guess that should quiet things down for a moment.
Cshel86
QUOTE (ks1 @ Sep 30 2011, 05:08 PM) *
Well done. I guess that should quiet things down for a moment.

Ha! I wish! You know how that goes, even if you have credible evidence, doesn't mean a guy wont stop challenging you. As a matter of fact, it hurts their pride and they suddenly dont know when to let it go. Lol
Hotsauce
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Sep 30 2011, 03:17 PM) *
from Dan Rafeal of ESPN:

lol there you go
Deevel79
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Sep 30 2011, 04:17 PM) *
from Dan Rafeal of ESPN:

Well since you want to quote Dan Rafael, I can assume you also took his word for it when he reported that Floyd purchased for his own fight against Ortiz so that it can match or surpass the gate for Pac/Mosley.

"A Nevada commission source opined that Mayweather camp may have bought just enough unsold tix simply to nudge his gate ahead Pacquiao-Mosley" -Dan Rafael. twitter
TheFonz
QUOTE (Deevel79 @ Oct 1 2011, 10:31 AM) *
Well since you want to quote Dan Rafael, I can assume you also took his word for it when he reported that Floyd purchased for his own fight against Ortiz so that it can match or surpass the gate for Pac/Mosley.

"A Nevada commission source opined that Mayweather camp may have bought just enough unsold tix simply to nudge his gate ahead Pacquiao-Mosley" -Dan Rafael. twitter

And round and round we go. This is starting to sound like a religious argument with a Christian.

Christian - God created the world.

me - How do you know that?

Christian - It's in the Bible.

me - And who wrote the Bible?

Christian - God!

me - Well I guess that settles that?
EAlbian
QUOTE (Deevel79 @ Oct 1 2011, 09:31 AM) *

gate has nothing to do with PPV #'s. Ha.

haha. I really don't know anything about this tho, i don't follow twitter. I only quoted Rafeal to give more insight into the situation.(Ben actually already said most of what Rafeal said but people tend to discredit what he says on her so i figured I throw in a neutral perspective) Dan usually doesn't write stuff unless there is some truth to it tho, so there probably is some merit to that quote.
Cshel86
Trust me EAlbian...he wont let it go, regardless of the nearly convincing evidence presented to him. It's like repeatedly throwing a frisbee at a cross-eyed puppy and hoping for better results every time.
EAlbian
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Oct 1 2011, 01:13 PM) *
Trust me EAlbian...he wont let it go, regardless of the nearly convincing evidence presented to him. It's like repeatedly throwing a frisbee at a cross-eyed puppy and hoping for better results every time.

haha, it's all good. I was just playing with him. I think he's doing something that I do to win arguments sometimes and thats argue a skewed point that pertains to the subject but is off base. It is what I call the "Hitler" technique and if executed properly can be quite successful. It forces your opponent to spread out his argument and then have to defend on multiple fronts, usually ending in him contradicting himself or conceding out of sheer exhaustion. If this what he was attempting to do than I applaud his effort, if not then he's just an idiot
Cshel86
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Yall are a mess...
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Oct 1 2011, 10:54 AM) *
And round and round we go. This is starting to sound like a religious argument with a Christian.

Christian - God created the world.

me - How do you know that?

Christian - It's in the Bible.

me - And who wrote the Bible?

Christian - God!

me - Well I guess that settles that?

Actually man wrote the Bible, it was inspired by God. I hope someone did not say that to you because if they did, they just gave Christians a really bad name. Not only that but its clearly that they are not theologians nor do they read redactors concerning the history and interpretation of the scriptures.
Method
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Oct 1 2011, 07:11 PM) *
Actually man wrote the Bible, it was inspired by God. I hope someone did not say that to you because if they did, they just gave Christians a really bad name. Not only that but its clearly that they are not theologians nor do they read redactors concerning the history and interpretation of the scriptures.

Which version of the bible was inspired by god? Because modern day versions were sort of dictated by religious politics. And what of the agnostics?
thehype
LOL. I LOVE THIS THREAD!

I especially love when someone brings up my name.

laugh.gif

On a side note, are they still tallying the numbers for Pacquiao vs. Mosley? I have yet to hear any official numbers from that fight. I mean, 2 weeks is NOTHING compared to how long it's taken to get those results. Maybe Showtime and HBO hired VisionQwest to do the accounting on PPV numbers.

laugh.gif
STEVENSKI
All I know is that several people I know who usually buys PPV fights did not buy this one. I told them what a waste of money it is & thankfully they listened. It may only be 3 buys but that is 3 less buys that cunt gets.
Method
QUOTE (thehype @ Oct 1 2011, 09:44 PM) *
LOL. I LOVE THIS THREAD!

laugh.gif

On a side note, are they still tallying the numbers for Pacquiao vs. Mosley? I have yet to hear any official numbers from that fight. I mean, 2 weeks is NOTHING compared to how long it's taken to get those results. Maybe Showtime and HBO hired VisionQwest to do the accounting on PPV numbers.

laugh.gif

Yup. As soon as that VisionQwest shit dropped I said it was wierd how it took them over so long to go through Paq's finances.

That said, are we REALLY splitting short hairs over May/Ortiz PPV numbers? I think we can ALL agree that this was a successful PPV. Thoise that can't agree, deserve a two week time out from the boards. Seriously.
Deevel79
QUOTE (thehype @ Oct 1 2011, 09:44 PM) *
LOL. I LOVE THIS THREAD!

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

All I'm saying is, I feel it was a bit irresponsible for this site to state that the fight did 1.3mil ppv buys when the numbers havent even been tallied yet. You guys jumped the gun and it wont be a good look for you if the #'s turn out to be far less than what was advertised here.

Method
QUOTE (Deevel79 @ Oct 1 2011, 11:45 PM) *
All I'm saying is, I feel it was a bit irresponsible for this site to state that the fight did 1.3mil ppv buys when the numbers havent even been tallied yet. You guys jumped the gun and it wont be a good look for you if the #'s turn out to be far less than what was advertised here.

What would you consider FAR less? Im curious. Would you consider 1.2-1.25 FAR less? What do you consider FAR less?
Deevel79
QUOTE (Method @ Oct 1 2011, 11:49 PM) *
What would you consider FAR less? Im curious. Would you consider 1.2-1.25 FAR less? What do you consider FAR less?

Far less would be anything less than a Mil. Very irresponsible to claim the fight did 1.3mil, especially when this site has a headline on the front page that reads "Mayweather still PPV King" although the numbers have yet to be tallied and confirmed.
EAlbian
QUOTE (Deevel79 @ Oct 1 2011, 11:17 PM) *
Far less would be anything less than a Mil. Very irresponsible to claim the fight did 1.3mil, especially when this site has a headline on the front page that reads "Mayweather still PPV King" although the numbers have yet to be tallied and confirmed.

most sources say the number is in the 1.1-1.3 million range, maybe more. Mayweather is still the PPV king regardless if the fight does 1.1 or 1.3, his average is ridiculous. Especially against guys who haven't had real PPV success before and giving guys who have had some success the best #'s they have ever had. If you don't like the site go somewhere else, you won't be missed
caneman
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Oct 2 2011, 09:46 AM) *
most sources say the number is in the 1.1-1.3 million range, maybe more. Mayweather is still the PPV king regardless if the fight does 1.1 or 1.3, his average is ridiculous. Especially against guys who haven't had real PPV success before and giving guys who have had some success the best #'s they have ever had. If you don't like the site go somewhere else, you won't be missed

No doubt, you know what I find very interesting? The fact that before DLH, the most FMJ ever sold PPV wise was 330k vs Gatti and Gatti was doing 300k roughly by his self...whatever FMJ DID WAS GENIUS REALLY, PART WAS MAKING FANS, PART IS PEOPLE HATING HIM SO MUCH THAT THEY TUNED IN TO SEE HIM LOSE! The only thing he lost was endorsements with his way of thinking and now I think he is sorry he took that road in some ways but it did nothing to hurt his PPV #'s!
EAlbian
QUOTE (caneman @ Oct 2 2011, 10:46 AM) *
No doubt, you know what I find very interesting? The fact that before DLH, the most FMJ ever sold PPV wise was 330k vs Gatti and Gatti was doing 300k roughly by his self...whatever FMJ DID WAS GENIUS REALLY, PART WAS MAKING FANS, PART IS PEOPLE HATING HIM SO MUCH THAT THEY TUNED IN TO SEE HIM LOSE! The only thing he lost was endorsements with his way of thinking and now I think he is sorry he took that road in some ways but it did nothing to hurt his PPV #'s!

didn't the Judah PPV do like 375k? Its crazy how he went from around a 350k PPV fighter to never hitting under 900k after. I don't know if he misses the endorsement money but maybe had he went that route he wouldn't be making 50mill a purse. The guy did something right because he's getting paid
caneman
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Oct 2 2011, 11:09 AM) *
didn't the Judah PPV do like 375k? Its crazy how he went from around a 350k PPV fighter to never hitting under 900k after. I don't know if he misses the endorsement money but maybe had he went that route he wouldn't be making 50mill a purse. The guy did something right because he's getting paid

Could be right about Judah, I never seen the numbers to be honest! And while I agree on the endorsements, he does sometimes hate that everyone things, scratch that, MANY think he is a bad guy but he wanted to be the villain...too bad it can't go both ways even though he did good for himself, he just has times he does regret it even if he won't admit it!!!!
EAlbian
QUOTE (caneman @ Oct 2 2011, 11:18 AM) *
Could be right about Judah, I never seen the numbers to be honest! And while I agree on the endorsements, he does sometimes hate that everyone things, scratch that, MANY think he is a bad guy but he wanted to be the villain...too bad it can't go both ways even though he did good for himself, he just has times he does regret it even if he won't admit it!!!!

oh I agree with you 100%, who wouldn't want to be the hero. Look at all of the justifications made about his career that get shot down in a sec where as Manny does the same thing and is praised for it, i'm sure that hurts on some level. I think Ali loved being loved more than he loved being hated. Mayweather is his own creation and only his own design can he change others opinions, I don't think we ever see that from him. He will be respected for his craft but I don't think we ever see the masses get behind him. A Martinez win would do huge things for his image tho and after last night i think it's a real possibility
caneman
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Oct 2 2011, 11:40 AM) *
oh I agree with you 100%, who wouldn't want to be the hero. Look at all of the justifications made about his career that get shot down in a sec where as Manny does the same thing and is praised for it, i'm sure that hurts on some level. I think Ali loved being loved more than he loved being hated. Mayweather is his own creation and only his own design can he change others opinions, I don't think we ever see that from him. He will be respected for his craft but I don't think we ever see the masses get behind him. A Martinez win would do huge things for his image tho and after last night i think it's a real possibility

Ali did make some choices that I think he is sorry for especially when it comes to what he said about Frazier but to me Ali did things for comedy on so many levels and didn't do it JUST TO BE a flamboyant dickhead like FMJ, @ this point I think he has the followers and haters he wanted but the problem is he may have made it where he can never turn back to cleaning up what he has done...that said, he likes being the bad boy so it is what it is! Life does have some strange lessons though huh?
Method
QUOTE (Deevel79 @ Oct 2 2011, 12:17 AM) *

Do you really think they're off 23%? Do you really think they'd be under 1M when the consensus is ~1.3M. Thats a SERIOUS misstatement. Let me ask you this - have you EVER seen PPV number misstated ~23%?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 3 2011, 12:11 PM) *
The main stepping stone for Pacquiao and Mayweather when becoming PPV stars is simply DLH. It's not a coincidence that their PPV numbers only picked up after DLH. Sure it requires some work on there part, but the main base of it was DLH.
Prior to the DLH fight for both of them, Mayweather's biggest PPV sale was against Gatti and Judah which was in the 350,000-360,000 range and Pacquiao was his rematch with Marquez at about 400,000 buys.

Exactly. DLH MADE both these cats the PPV stars they are today.

BTW Fitz you need to change your avatar. Found you one that is a little more current

EAlbian
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Oct 3 2011, 05:22 AM) *
Exactly. DLH MADE both these cats the PPV stars they are today.

BTW Fitz you need to change your avatar. Found you one that is a little more current

I agree that DLH had a large part to do with the success that both have had with PPVs, however Floyd since the DLH fight(and even in the DLH fight) gave each of his opponents their best PPV #'s. There has to something said abut that. Floyd is consistently doing over 1million buys with opponents that are less credible than DLH's(IMO) and Manny isn't trailing far behind. I think Manny's upcoming fight will do better than Floyd's fight did with JMM as well. What these two have been able to achieve in the last couple years is pretty amazing, they are as big of sellers as DLH ever was at this point.
Deevel79
Its now 16 days since the fight and STILL no confirmation on the ppv buys. Something is definitely fishy.
Method
QUOTE (Deevel79 @ Oct 3 2011, 01:00 PM) *
Its now 16 days since the fight and STILL no confirmation on the ppv buys. Something is definitely fishy.

That's your upper lip.
caneman
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 3 2011, 04:22 PM) *
Fuck you.

Lmao, is this about rugby or what?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 4 2011, 09:20 AM) *
AFL (Aussie Rules Football). My team lost in the grand final on Saturday, they were going for back to back premierships sad.gif

It was a great game & Mick has no one to blame but himself for the loss. He played multiple players who were underdone & carrying injuries.

Geelong were clearly the better team & showed it by beating the Pies in 3 out of 3 this year. Overall it was a great GF to watch & both teams showed tremendous skill in the wet. Geelong did well to shut Cloke down because he was ready to rampage.

In case you forgot here is what a winning coach looks like & the mighty Eagles showed it again on Sunday.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 4 2011, 09:57 AM) *
At the end of the day, they lost to a team that's going to go down as one of the best sides in history. Credit to Geelong, but hopefully it reignites the hunger for the Pies next season.

The Pies certainly had their moments. Hopefully they stop hugging the boundary now Mick is gone as Geelong read you like a book & shut you down.

I am not a fan of either club but I was very impressed with the skill level displayed by both squads. Wish the Hawks were there but it is heartbreaking to see your team lose a GF & Hawthorn would not have beaten the Cats either.

Back on topic I would expect the numbers to be 1.1M + & anything less would be a failure for PBF all things considered.
MaxPayne
My thought is that with Canelo and Erik Morales being involved, that this card would bring close to 1.5 MM buys. I think the final number will be between 1.3 - 1.4 MM, which is still substantial but slightly below my personal expectations.
Eighty88Eight
slightly below your expert expectations huh? rolleyes_anim.gif

considering Floyd was fighting a handsome young queer in his prime with a "heartrending background", and having two huge stars on the card, while Pacquiao was fighting an old fucking fart (and a Mayweather leftover), Pacquiao's 1.3 can beat up Mayweather's 1.3. I can't foresee any legitimate argument from either side justifying a higher end of the split.
EAlbian
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Oct 4 2011, 09:56 AM) *

considering Floyd was fighting a handsome young queer in his prime with a "heartrending background", and having two huge stars on the card, while Pacquiao was fighting an old fucking fart (and a Mayweather leftover), Pacquiao's 1.3 can beat up Mayweather's 1.3. I can't foresee any legitimate argument from either side justifying a higher end of the split.

you definitely fucked the wrong monkey bro, so much anger lately.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Oct 4 2011, 10:56 AM) *

See where an overload of estrogen gets you?
EAlbian
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Oct 4 2011, 11:19 AM) *
See where an overload of estrogen gets you?

calling Ortiz a handsome young queer? haha
TheFonz
I laughed.
Cshel86
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Oct 4 2011, 12:25 PM) *
calling Ortiz a handsome young queer? haha

Hahahaha!!! I found that statement quite obscure myself.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Oct 5 2011, 01:56 AM) *

I pretty much agree with that. If Pac does over 1,000,000 buys for his fight with Marquez then that is a moral victory in my eyes as Mayweather (to his teams credit) had his undercard stacked.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (sduck @ Sep 26 2011, 07:36 AM) *
Apparently the numbers go like this

Mayweather vs DLH - 2.4 Million 5/5/2007
Mayweather vs Hatton - 915k 12/8/2007
Mayweather vs Marquez - 1.05 Million 9/19/2009
Mayweather vs Mosley - 1.4 Million 5/1/2010
Mayweather vs Ortiz - At Least 1.3 Million 9/17/2011

Pacquiao vs DLH - 1.25 Million 12/6/2008
Pacquiao vs Hatton - 850k 5/2/2009
Pacquiao vs Cotto - 1.25 Million 11/14/2009
Pacquiao vs Clottey - 700k 03/13/2010
Pacquiao vs Margarito - 1.15 Million 11/13/2010
Pacquiao vs Mosley - 1.3 Million 05/7/2011

What Black said was right that it was an impressive feat for FMJ, but you can also question that a bit considering the undercards and this was also apparently Floyd's most advertized fight in his career.
Pacquiao did beat Mayweather once, in the 2009 showdowns when he faced Cotto, and Mayweather faced Marquez. I can't wait to see the numbers Pacquiao vs Marquez III will do. I think it might do better.

Not to mention, PBF vs. JMM did more than Pac vs JMM I & II COMBINED.
torvix3000
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 6 2011, 06:55 PM) *
Mayweather before DLH: His highest was against Gatti and Judah at 350,000-360,000 buys
Pacquiao before DLH: His highest was against Marquez at 400,000 buys

What a heartbreaker for the Flomos.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (torvix3000 @ Oct 7 2011, 01:17 PM) *
What a heartbreaker for the Flomos.

Torvix just adding a dash extra salt to those wounds. laugh.gif
ks1
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 6 2011, 06:55 PM) *
Irrelevant because the Pacquiao-Marquez fights were before Pacquiao fought DLH, and the Mayweather-Marquez fight was after Mayweather fought DLH. Both there numbers were increased by DLH.

Mayweather before DLH: His highest was against Gatti and Judah at 350,000-360,000 buys
Pacquiao before DLH: His highest was against Marquez at 400,000 buys

Can't compare those 2 fights, haha. A fairer assessment would be to compare this fight with Marquez to Mayweather's with Marquez, as they are both fights since after the fought DLH.

Wow, this is still going on? The "handsome young queer" thing was very funny. C'mon now, puttting aside who had the bigger increase post ODLH and the dubious ODLH metric altogether, are you really comparing a rematch of classic first fight to the Gatti and Judah numbers? Stop. Anyway, the latest Pac/Marquez fight should outdo the Floyd/Marquez fight especially since the former is the bookend to a good triliogy.
Cshel86
QUOTE (ks1 @ Oct 7 2011, 01:06 PM) *
Wow, this is still going on? The "handsome young queer" thing was very funny. C'mon now, puttting aside who had the bigger increase post ODLH and the dubious ODLH metric altogether, are you really comparing a rematch of claasic first fight to the Gatti and Judah numbers? Stop. Anyway, the latest Pac/Marquez fight should outdo the Floyd/Marquez fight especially since the former is the bookened to a good triliogy.

Yeah that "handsome young queer" statement was a very contradicting, ass-backwards, and funny effort...all in one breath laugh.gif In my opinion, Floyd may have somewhat accidently promoted the JMM/Pac rubber match, while trying to justify his reasons for fighting JMM.

He kept reiterating the fact that he's fighting the guy that he thought "actually beat Pacquiao twice"...Im thinking that he wanted to put in the viewer's heads that JMM had a good chance at giving him a hard time in their '09 clash, but instead it made people talk up a JMM/Pac rubber match.

I hear people that know less than nothing about whats going on in boxing, talk about JMM probably "really beat Pac in the 2nd fight", he gave Pac "two ties (draws)", "some Mexican dude was beating him both fights", etc. These are actual comments that I have heard from outsiders, not mine. Im pretty sure they got these ideas from the statements made by none other than FMJ.

So if they hear about the rubber match and decide to buy it, then more power to both fighters and their PPV numbers next month. At least the ones who really dont know JMM will have somewhat of an idea of how the fight go. Thats just my take on it...
Cshel86
Where's that troller that was losing sleep over the PPV numbers not being announced?

"Its now "20" days since the fight and STILL no confirmation on the ppv buys. Something is definitely fishy."

thumbsdown_anim.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.