Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pirog has his sights set on Martinez
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
HazConvictedFelonMane
I don't really know too much about Mr. From Russia With Love Dimitry Pirog. I've watched his fight against Danny Jacobs (who's from my neck of the woods) and I was impressed with his style of fighting. I do know that the WBO stripped Sergio Martinez of the title Pirog and Jacobs fought for. I know that Sergio Martinez is one of the elite P4P fighters today and he should not back down from this fight. I'd like to get you guys' take on the fight, and who you think would win?
Cshel86
This will be a great scrap, and I can see Pirog giving most fighters at MW a long night. Still cant forget how me made Danny Jacobs break dance and put him to sleep on the JMM/Diaz II undercard. Jacobs just layed there stiff and looked at the ref, then decided that he wanted to get up when they called it off.
FinitoElDinamita
Word is that Marco Antonio Rubio will face Peter QUillin on the Angulo/Kirkland undercard...

Assuming Quillin wins, him and Pirog should fight for the right to face Martinez..

What has Pirog done to deserve a shot at the champ?? beating a green ass jacobs dont mean much as far as im concerened..

Quillin would beat Pirog imo..

Martinez-Quillin is a real fight...
checkleft
QUOTE (FinitoElDinamita @ Sep 26 2011, 04:39 PM) *
Word is that Marco Antonio Rubio will face Peter QUillin on the Angulo/Kirkland undercard...

Assuming Quillin wins, him and Pirog should fight for the right to face Martinez..

What has Pirog done to deserve a shot at the champ?? beating a green ass jacobs dont mean much as far as im concerened..

Completely right.

I don't get why people want them to fight when pirog hasn't even fought a top 15 mw. Why should he get a shot a top 3 p4p fighter. Ridiculous, I think the guy has been taking too many punches
dhoward126

Uh, what has Quillin done besides being trained by Freddie Roach? Pirog is undefeated, has a belt and beat a top-10 opponent in Jacobs which is faaaaar more than Quillin at this point. Quillin is greener than Jacobs was when Jacobs fought Pirog, Rubio will be the first top ten opponent he has fought and I'd be shocked if Rubio takes that fight, he's the mandatory contender for a belt and he's going to waste that payday against a prospect? Doesn't make sense to me.
FinitoElDinamita
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Sep 26 2011, 02:01 PM) *
Uh, what has Quillin done besides being trained by Freddie Roach? Pirog is undefeated, has a belt and beat a top-10 opponent in Jacobs which is faaaaar more than Quillin at this point. Quillin is greener than Jacobs was when Jacobs fought Pirog, Rubio will be the first top ten opponent he has fought and I'd be shocked if Rubio takes that fight, he's the mandatory contender for a belt and he's going to waste that payday against a prospect? Doesn't make sense to me.

umm that's why I said that the winner of Rubio/Quillin should fight Pirog for the right to face Martinez...

Assuming QUillin beats Rubio, I think it's safe to say that Rubio is more credible than anybody Pirog has beaten.. so there ya go..

And again, beating an untested Jacobs dont give anybody the right to face the champ of the division..
checkleft
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Sep 26 2011, 05:01 PM) *

Just because pirog beat a what 22 year old hype job in Jacobs that had no business fighting for MARTINEZ belt let alone being in the top ten which I wouldn't take your word on doesn't mean he deserves any fight. He hasn't done shit since and basically won the belt by accident because they stripped the real champ to try to hand it off to a more marketable fighter. Pirog has to at least fight someone notable before he fights arguably the best p4p fighter(at least top two or three).
gravytrain
Martinez will dominate him
FinitoElDinamita
QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 26 2011, 02:34 PM) *
Just because pirog beat a what 22 year old hype job in Jacobs that had no business fighting for MARTINEZ belt let alone being in the top ten which I wouldn't take your word on doesn't mean he deserves any fight. He hasn't done shit since and basically won the belt by accident because they stripped the real champ to try to hand it off to a more marketable fighter. Pirog has to at least fight someone notable before he fights arguably the best p4p fighter(at least top two or three).

Precisely..
dhoward126
QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 26 2011, 05:34 PM) *

I get it, you don't like Pirog which is fine, but the reality is simple: Nobody at 154 or 160 really wants to fight Sergio Martinez! Pirog has a belt, bullshit or not (almost every belt is now) and he actually WANTS to fight Martinez. Look at who Martinez has called out, the dude had tried all year thus far to get Miguel Cotto in the ring, that didn't happen and isn't going to happen. Chavez Jr? Yeah right. Pacquiao or Mayweather? Ha! The guy called out Shane Mosley for gods sake AFTER the Sergio Mora fight and the list goes on and on all the way to when Martinez was Vernon Forrest's mandatory, he can't land a fight with anybody and he's wasted so much time trying. They should make fights with who is willing to fight, that's what Hopkins and Hagler did at 160, establishing their legacy by consistent dominance.

I'm sure to see the same complaints should Andy Lee beat Brian Vera, because that in turn will set up Martinez-Lee in the Spring.

Sicko
if you can fight Barker then it is no reason why he can't fight Pirog or Quillin

DiBella talking about Quillin brings nothing to the table, but WTF does Barker bring?

and I am a big fan of Sergio Martinez but...he is chasing a big payday which I don't blame him but if your can't get that big payday at least fight a TOP FIGHTER in your division
FinitoElDinamita
QUOTE (Sicko @ Sep 26 2011, 05:09 PM) *
if you can fight Barker then it is no reason why he can't fight Pirog or Quillin

DiBella talking about Quillin brings nothing to the table, but WTF does Barker bring?

and I am a big fan of Sergio Martinez but...he is chasing a big payday which I don't blame him but if your can't get that big payday at least fight a TOP FIGHTER in your division

Yea but after this weekend, he's fought enough of the Dzinirks and the Barkers.. He can only fight so many of these high risk/low reward opponents you know..

The man is getting up there in age and he's looking for a mega bout for big bucks.. Asking him to fight Pirog or Quillin in his very next fight is unfair..

Maybe a little down the line when Pirog/Qullin accomplishes something first, then one of them can face Martinez.. That's why these two should have a box-off to determine who gets Sergio..
daprofessor
after what pirog did to jacobs...everyone is acting like he doesn't exist. i give him a shot to beat martinez.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 26 2011, 09:39 PM) *
after what pirog did to jacobs...everyone is acting like he doesn't exist. i give him a shot to beat martinez.

Sucks to be a relatively unknown threat in the sport of boxing, huh? Lol. He knocks a guy out, and everyone scatters like roaches and acts like the guy doesn't even exist. Typical fighter's etiquette nowadays, which is sick. You are right, he does have a decent shot at Martinez, as long as he doesn't sacrifice himself to find out how hard Sergio hits.
checkleft
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Sep 26 2011, 07:46 PM) *
I get it, you don't like Pirog which is fine, but the reality is simple: Nobody at 154 or 160 really wants to fight Sergio Martinez! Pirog has a belt, bullshit or not (almost every belt is now) and he actually WANTS to fight Martinez. Look at who Martinez has called out, the dude had tried all year thus far to get Miguel Cotto in the ring, that didn't happen and isn't going to happen. Chavez Jr? Yeah right. Pacquiao or Mayweather? Ha! The guy called out Shane Mosley for gods sake AFTER the Sergio Mora fight and the list goes on and on all the way to when Martinez was Vernon Forrest's mandatory, he can't land a fight with anybody and he's wasted so much time trying. They should make fights with who is willing to fight, that's what Hopkins and Hagler did at 160, establishing their legacy by consistent dominance.

I'm sure to see the same complaints should Andy Lee beat Brian Vera, because that in turn will set up Martinez-Lee in the Spring.

You don't get it. Because someone is undeserving doesn't mean I don't like them (which you assumed). He has a nice style and good pop. But he will get lit up by Martinez and for no point. He has less fan base then barker so why even waist a thought on him. He's eventually going to budge up or down in weight for better fights, unless by miracle he catches someone with a name like cotto marg or chavez Jr.
HazConvictedFelonMane

I agree. If Quillin gets past Rubio, he should have at it. I don't like that kid at all though. However, if he beats Rubio, I'd have to respect that. I think that if Martinez wants to continue his quest to be P4P #1, Pirog would be the guy for him to KO.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 26 2011, 10:25 PM) *
Sucks to be a relatively unknown threat in the sport of boxing, huh? Lol. He knocks a guy out, and everyone scatters like roaches and acts like the guy doesn't even exist. Typical fighter's etiquette nowadays, which is sick. You are right, he does have a decent shot at Martinez, as long as he doesn't sacrifice himself to find out how hard Sergio hits.

By beating and kncocking out cold the most avoided fighter in the sport,..... you become the most avoided fighter
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Sep 27 2011, 04:31 PM) *
By beating and kncocking out cold the most avoided fighter in the sport,..... you become the most avoided fighter

Agreed. Look at Paul Williams when he beat Margarito.

Look at Mosley after he became the first and only man to KO the granite chinned Margarito.(everyone at Welter ducked him except Mayweather stepped up)

Look at Mayweather back at 130 and below when he destroyed Corrales and TKO'd him. The best in his division ducked Mayweather.

When Jake Lamotta was the first to beat Robinson he had to fight tomato cans for awhile before facing a legit contender because of fear.

Prime Tyson after KO'ing Berbick got ducked by the best in his division.(people seem to forget that)

Marcos Maidana is another fighter who is avoided.

Martinez became avoided after KO'ing Williams.

I think Martinez should fight Pirog and then Quillin. His top pay day fights are sadly, JCC Jr., Canelo, and Cotto which won't be happing because of the likes of Bob Arum, Sulaiman, and GBP.

Martinez will HAVE to fight Pirog and the other guy eventually.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.