Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leonard Ellerbes' comments on Oscar
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
GlocBoxing
Kinda wanna defend Oscar as a fighter 1st, with the comments that Leonard Ellerbe made. He says Oscar is Jealous of Floyds success! What could he possibly be jealous of first and foremost! Floyd is the man today Oscar was the man yesterday! Overall, if it wasnt for Oscar there wouldnt even be half the boxing fans that there are today to watch Floyd. For example, since 1994 The women population jumped up from 7% to 29% in the age range of 18-34yr olds due to the good looks of the fighter named Oscar De La Hoya! Mayweather is the PPV king of today but definantly not of all-time! Oscar is sitting on 13.85 Million PPV buys generating over 664.60 Million in revenue! And to make another point before Floyd had fought Oscar in '07 Floyd was mabe making $5-8Mil a fight tops! Oscar made that kinda money when he fought Miguel Angel Gonzalez and then there he was averaging $15-22Mil a fight! And when finally they met in May of '07 Oscar made $44Mil while Floyd brought in $27Mil. After that Floyd was not bring in that type of money even to this day! Dont get me wrong hes making $$$$$$$ but not Oscar money! Prior to all this, back before comcast bought AT&T in 2003 i knew more then a few hundred people that all had a cable box with prepaid hook up on all premium channels including PPV for free! We always had all the fight parties at our place! but could u imagine if we had to buy the PPV can u imagine what the PPV numbers wouldve been for Oscars fights against fighters like; Whitaker(720,000), Camacho(660,000), both Chavez fights(1.2million total), Quartey (575,000) Trinadad (1.4million), Vargas(955,000), and Mosley (1.6 million total)!? All selling points in PPVs. and they still had great numbers! That the only reason why u see the PPV number coming up with fighter like Mayweather and Pacquiao! So i believe Oscar has no reason to be jealous of Mayweather cuz im sure with Boxing revenue Oscar is the most and richest fighter in history! Floyd makes alot more side money with his betting and higher prices in PPV today compared to the late 1990's and early 2000s. Then $40-50dallors, today $54-69 dallors! More money with wach PPV. If it wasnt for Oscar fighting Floyd i dont think id be such a big fan of his! Im jus not a fan of his team especially Leonard! He really dont know S**t bout boxing other then what hes experienced with Floyd! He dont know nothing! So for him to go out and say this and say that he got a lot of room cuz in my eyes hes a little B***h! And to go with popularity other then Ali and Tyson who is a bigger name then De La Hoya!? Please someone answer that! Expain to me walking through the hall of MGM who else draws a bigger crowd?!#######Jus Sayin!!!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (GlocBoxing @ Sep 28 2011, 03:10 PM) *
Kinda wanna defend Oscar as a fighter 1st, with the comments that Leonard Ellerbe made. He says Oscar is Jealous of Floyds success! What could he possibly be jealous of first and foremost! Floyd is the man today Oscar was the man yesterday! Overall, if it wasnt for Oscar there wouldnt even be half the boxing fans that there are today to watch Floyd. For example, since 1994 The women population jumped up from 7% to 29% in the age range of 18-34yr olds due to the good looks of the fighter named Oscar De La Hoya! Mayweather is the PPV king of today but definantly not of all-time! Oscar is sitting on 13.85 Million PPV buys generating over 664.60 Million in revenue! And to make another point before Floyd had fought Oscar in '07 Floyd was mabe making $5-8Mil a fight tops! Oscar made that kinda money when he fought Miguel Angel Gonzalez and then there he was averaging $15-22Mil a fight! And when finally they met in May of '07 Oscar made $44Mil while Floyd brought in $27Mil. After that Floyd was not bring in that type of money even to this day! Dont get me wrong hes making $$$$$$$ but not Oscar money! Prior to all this, back before comcast bought AT&T in 2003 i knew more then a few hundred people that all had a cable box with prepaid hook up on all premium channels including PPV for free! We always had all the fight parties at our place! but could u imagine if we had to buy the PPV can u imagine what the PPV numbers wouldve been for Oscars fights against fighters like; Whitaker(720,000), Camacho(660,000), both Chavez fights(1.2million total), Quartey (575,000) Trinadad (1.4million), Vargas(955,000), and Mosley (1.6 million total)!? All selling points in PPVs. and they still had great numbers! That the only reason why u see the PPV number coming up with fighter like Mayweather and Pacquiao! So i believe Oscar has no reason to be jealous of Mayweather cuz im sure with Boxing revenue Oscar is the most and richest fighter in history! Floyd makes alot more side money with his betting and higher prices in PPV today compared to the late 1990's and early 2000s. Then $40-50dallors, today $54-69 dallors! More money with wach PPV. If it wasnt for Oscar fighting Floyd i dont think id be such a big fan of his! Im jus not a fan of his team especially Leonard! He really dont know S**t bout boxing other then what hes experienced with Floyd! He dont know nothing! So for him to go out and say this and say that he got a lot of room cuz in my eyes hes a little B***h! And to go with popularity other then Ali and Tyson who is a bigger name then De La Hoya!? Please someone answer that! Expain to me walking through the hall of MGM who else draws a bigger crowd?!#######Jus Sayin!!!

I agree with these sentiments. PPV is a modern phenomenon. Can you imagine the kind of numbers Tyson would do if he came on the scene in 2011? They would dwarf Floyd's, Pac's and anybody else's for that matter.
kidbazooka1
I'll put money that Floyd would fight DLH if DLH wanted it.
Cshel86
Great Post! I have no reason in this world to believe that Oscar is jealous of Floyd. This guy was headlining major PPVs every 6 months or less back in his day, and he definitely made more money than Floyd. In his 2007 clash with Floyd, he walked away with $52M after everything was said and done, and Floyd walked away with about $25M. Oscar was a big enough star to pass the PPV torch to Floyd, then to Manny a little over a year later...who can do such a thing?

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised if Oscar comes out of retirement and decides to fight Floyd (with a tune-up bout or two)...thats the only person I have reason to believe he would come out of retirement for.
Prov0
i agree with the statements Yes he could have made alot of more money.more ppv buys.

now could he be Jealous? Absolutley .u said it best he was Yesterday and Floyd is today..
yes Oscar has done alot and will be a Hall of Famer .But look at the spotlight Floyd gets .the money he makes .shit i bet Oscar wishes he was younger and fighting in this era shit i bet alot of fighters do they make more money now than before.

@kidbazooka i agree i think Floyd would fight Oscar if Oscar wanted.could u imagine the money that would make.
could u imagine 24/7 it would be twice as entertaining as the first one.
thehype
I'm not going to vouch for the validity of anyone's comments, HOWEVER, some things to consider...

- Holyfield vs. Foreman was the first major HBO Boxing PPV back in 1991.
- For pretty much all of the 90's, other than the networks, Don King and Bob Arum were the only ones with any real knowledge of how PPV #'s worked
- De La Hoya and Bob Arum went through a heated split over money concerns around 2001; De La Hoya was unhappy about something
- Given what we know about Bob Arum, a guaranteed # from his mouth is not necessarily the guaranteed # that appears on a bout contract
- In 2002, De La Hoya formed Golden Boy Promotions
- For some reason, De La Hoya was still being promoted by Bob Arum from 2002 to 2005, including major fights with Vargas and Mosley (rematch)
- I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Bob Arum's last involvement with De La Hoya was the Bernard Hopkins fight (look that up for me)

Now, I mention all of that only to say, consider this...

- If you think Oscar was getting all the money he was supposedly "guaranteed" from Arum, you're probably wrong
- If you think Arum was breaking Oscar off the money he deserved from those PPV #'s, you're probably wrong
- The only 3 PPV's events that De La Hoya saw all the profits from as his own promoter were Mayorga, Mayweather and Pacquiao

Now, again, I'm not vouching for the validity of anyone's comments, HOWEVER, I don't think De La Hoya has made as much money in his career as some of you think he has. Don't get me wrong...he made a shit load, but you might be surprised about the REAL numbers he made.

Is he jealous of Mayweather though? I doubt it....but there definitely seems to be something going on between those two.
King Eugene
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Sep 27 2011, 11:03 PM) *

In a damn heartbeat! My question is would he be ok with not having the Lion share of the split.
BigDDatHomey
Straight up and down De La Hoya is a punk ass b**ch and has been for a while now. Let a b**ch be a b**ch. As Floyd said, "He's no longer relevant." if anyone is going to speak from Golden Boy, it should be B-HOP. Other then that, go sit in the corner somewhere, sniff dat, drink dat, and rock your punk ass to sleep.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ Sep 28 2011, 05:11 PM) *
Straight up and down De La Hoya is a punk ass b**ch and has been for a while now. Let a b**ch be a b**ch. As Floyd said, "He's no longer relevant." if anyone is going to speak from Golden Boy, it should be B-HOP. Other then that, go sit in the corner somewhere, sniff dat, drink dat, and rock your punk ass to sleep.

Wow yet another quality post from 'someone' who joined in July. See Eugene's Larry gif above.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 28 2011, 12:21 AM) *
Wow yet another quality post from 'someone' who joined in July. See Eugene's Larry gif above.

laugh.gif
THands126
Oscar is not going to fight again. What weight? 175?

I'm a Floyd guy for 16 years now. But the ODH hate is too much. Don't blame Oscar for the circumstances or for trying to stand up for Victor (regardless of motive), blame him simply for having surprisingly poor PR skills.
leonthegee
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Sep 27 2011, 08:03 PM) *

Are you crasy. Floyd was the one that pulled out of the second fight. Or was that before your time as a boxing fan. Or
gravytrain
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 27 2011, 11:52 PM) *
I'm not going to vouch for the validity of anyone's comments, HOWEVER, some things to consider...

- For pretty much all of the 90's, other than the networks, Don King and Bob Arum were the only ones with any real knowledge of how PPV #'s worked
- De La Hoya and Bob Arum went through a heated split over money concerns around 2001; De La Hoya was unhappy about something
- Given what we know about Bob Arum, a guaranteed # from his mouth is not necessarily the guaranteed # that appears on a bout contract
- For some reason, De La Hoya was still being promoted by Bob Arum from 2002 to 2005, including major fights with Vargas and Mosley (rematch)
- I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Bob Arum's last involvement with De La Hoya was the Bernard Hopkins fight (look that up for me)

- If you think Oscar was getting all the money he was supposedly "guaranteed" from Arum, you're probably wrong
- If you think Arum was breaking Oscar off the money he deserved from those PPV #'s, you're probably wrong
- The only 3 PPV's events that De La Hoya saw all the profits from as his own promoter were Mayorga, Mayweather and Pacquiao

Now, again, I'm not vouching for the validity of anyone's comments, HOWEVER, I don't think De La Hoya has made as much money in his career as some of you think he has. Don't get me wrong...he made a shit load, but you might be surprised about the REAL numbers he made.

Is he jealous of Mayweather though? I doubt it....but there definitely seems to be something going on between those two.

there are a couple fighters not making what people think they're making.
Roi
Leonard Ellerbe's comments is funny he acts like his Mayweather' fiancee' not ms. J (too much ass kissing)
Method
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 27 2011, 11:52 PM) *

I would vouch for the validity of these comments. I'll add (and I cant vouch for the validity of what I'm about to add, but it would seem to make sense) - Oscar likely isn't jealous. Oscar may be a bit resentful for the following. IF (and I have no reason to believe its not true) FMJr is really getting a piece of EVERYTHING (food/concession revenue, merchandising revenue, over seas rights (?) - thanks for the hea'd up, Hatton? - ec. etc., I could see a scenario where Oscar looks back and wishes he had the foresight to grab a piece of that pie. THAT said, we know Schaefer is the brains of it all, so can't really put it on Oscar. What's more, and I'm not dogging Floyd business acumen here, but I think it does help having those other PPV stars before him, as well as the contemporary PPV stars (who have since fallen off) along side of him - It gives you ideas on grabbing revenue from revenue streams that others before him might not have had the foresight or experience to go after.

If I was Oscar, and despite all his loot and that hot Russian broad he banged, I'm honestly glad I'm not (I think), I damn sure would come back for a victory lap (is it fair to use that term w him) or two. In theory, he could market the fact that his body was banged up and he needed a rest, and that he has purged some of the demons that had potentially dogged his career. Whether or not it is valid (it probably isn't), he could likely do 1M buys, plus it gives him an opportunity to sip from these additional revenue pools he previously didn't have the experience to swim in.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ Sep 28 2011, 12:11 AM) *

You're on FightHype, not Youtube, settle down. In your last sentence, you started by saying, "Other then that"...it's "Other than that"...Please dont talk down too hard on a guy that you share similar issues with...grammar obviously. You curse as much as Floyd, and your grammar's as bad as Oscar's, go figure dntknw.gif

thehype
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 28 2011, 08:26 AM) *
I would vouch for the validity of these comments. I'll add (and I cant vouch for the validity of what I'm about to add, but it would seem to make sense) - Oscar likely isn't jealous. Oscar may be a bit resentful for the following. IF (and I have no reason to believe its not true) FMJr is really getting a piece of EVERYTHING (food/concession revenue, merchandising revenue, over seas rights (?) - thanks for the hea'd up, Hatton? - ec. etc., I could see a scenario where Oscar looks back and wishes he had the foresight to grab a piece of that pie. THAT said, we know Schaefer is the brains of it all, so can't really put it on Oscar. What's more, and I'm not dogging Floyd business acumen here, but I think it does help having those other PPV stars before him, as well as the contemporary PPV stars (who have since fallen off) along side of him - It gives you ideas on grabbing revenue from revenue streams that others before him might not have had the foresight or experience to go after.

If I was Oscar, and despite all his loot and that hot Russian broad he banged, I'm honestly glad I'm not (I think), I damn sure would come back for a victory lap (is it fair to use that term w him) or two. In theory, he could market the fact that his body was banged up and he needed a rest, and that he has purged some of the demons that had potentially dogged his career. Whether or not it is valid (it probably isn't), he could likely do 1M buys, plus it gives him an opportunity to sip from these additional revenue pools he previously didn't have the experience to swim in.

Well said. Agree 100%.

If I'm Oscar, De La Hoya vs. Trinidad 2, De La Hoya vs. Mosley 3, hell, even De La Hoya vs. Alvarez all sound awfully tantalizing right about now. If people think those 3 fights do less than 1 million PPV buys, you're underestimating the appeal that De La Hoya still has to the "casual" boxing fan.
Method
Not to mention, it would never hurt to cushion GBP's balance sheet.

Floyd/DLH would likely (though I wouldnt bet my life on it) sell through the roof again. Two things, thought - I doubt Mayweather would make the fight, and, if he did, Oscar would likely get this shit kicked out of him. Dont see it happening, though they could promote the fuck out of it to the commoners. All kinds of spin on that one, however believable (or not) it is to the hard core fan(s).
Method
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 28 2011, 09:39 AM) *
You're on FightHype, not Youtube, settle down. In your last sentence, you started by saying, "Other then that"...it's "Other than that"...Please dont talk down too hard on a guy that you share similar issues with...grammar obviously. You curse as much as Floyd, and your grammar's as bad as Oscar's, go figure dntknw.gif

Misuse of "then" where "than" is called for kinda chafs me. I see it a lot. I never call it out. But it bothers me. More so THAN misspelling. Understanding the use of THAN/THEN speaks volumes about command of the english language.

Pass the Grey Poupon?
Cshel86
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 28 2011, 12:06 PM) *
Misuse of "then" where "than" is called for kinda chafs me. I see it a lot. I never call it out. But it bothers me. More so THAN misspelling. Understanding the use of THAN/THEN speaks volumes about command of the english language.

Pass the Grey Poupon?

Lol, I guess. I still have problems with past and passed, and I still have to look it up, depending on how I use it. It's hard to be on a boxing forum and having to use phrases like, "He wont get past/passed the 4th round"..., I always have to make sure Im straight before I post it. I guess I can be more understanding about then/than, and the truth is, we all come up short somewhere while posting. It just sucks for guys who try to insult others and their spelling/grammar is shit. The Poupon is passed, my man...
thehype
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 28 2011, 03:51 PM) *
Lol, I guess. I still have problems with past and passed, and I still have to look it up, depending on how I use it. It's hard to be on a boxing forum and having to use phrases like, "He wont get past/passed the 4th round"..., I always have to make sure Im straight before I post it. I guess I can be more understanding about then/than, and the truth is, we all come up short somewhere while posting. It just sucks for guys who try to insult others and their spelling/grammar is shit. The Poupon is passed, my man...

Lose and loose is what drive me up the wall.

A little Poupon for me too please.
Cshel86
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 28 2011, 07:38 PM) *
Lose and loose is what drive me up the wall.

A little Poupon for me too please.

Lose and Loose! Hahahaha!!! That does it for me every time! How did I even get this started? Somebody on the board got mad and called me "Teach" a few months ago, but they were trying to insult me on a post, so I didn't take it personal. I only do it to people when they are trying to insult me or another user. Lol. Popcorn passed, my man...
Method
The one I always have to go back and edit on is spelling Manny's (the famous Kronk trainer) last name. Nothing worse than making a powerful argument w an absolute imbecile and he comes back with "Yeah, this coming from a guy that can't even spell Manny StewarD".

Pass the iced tea.

Back to the thread topic. I'd love to see Oscar and Floyd get it on again. I know Floyd would whup that ass, but it would be a good promotion.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Sep 28 2011, 12:52 AM) *
Are you crasy. Floyd was the one that pulled out of the second fight. Or was that before your time as a boxing fan. Or

Get the f*ck out of here with that shit.

I've been on these forums way back since the BT days way before your lil punkass. And a fan for decades so don't come at me with that sh*t son.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.