Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gear-Grinding Comments/Questions You've Ever Heard From a Casual Boxing Fan or a "Know-It All"...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
I know this young guy that lives next to me, who grew up in Florida and claims that he went to "Roy Jones Boxing Academy" a while back. He went out of his way to make sure that he repeated it at least 5 more times during several conversations that we had, pertaining to boxing.

I remember a few months ago, he was at my house and I was watching Mayweather/Hatton...then came the 10th round TKO. Michael Buffer announces that Mayweather won by TKO victory, then the guy asked me, "Ay man, what is a TKO"? Really man?! For a guy that attended "Roy Jones Boxing Academy", you would think he knew what a TKO was.

Then yesterday, he stopped by the house, and of course, he asked me did I see the fight (Mayweather/Ortiz). I said yes and also mentioned that I recorded it, so we watched it. Before it even came on, he said, "Aw man, I cant wait to see what Roy Jones did to Artiz". (yes, he said Roy Jones and Artiz). He grinded my gears with questions and statements such as:

"Aw man, bruh got 50 Cent in there wit 'em"!
"I heard Floyd knocked him down like 3 times".
"Why is the referee counting for him? I thought when they get knocked down, the fight is supposed to be over."

"I wanted Mayweather to lose, he's the best fighter out there, but Im one of his haters" (he was smiling when he said this shit).

I was through! Everything else that he said was inaudible from that point on, because I couldn't believe my ears. Mind you, these are questions and comments from somebody who attended "Roy Jones Boxing Academy", so you be the judge.

Name any and every question/comment from somebody that watched a fight with you...and almost made you point them to the door. Have at it! Oh yeah...somebody look up that "Roy Jones Boxing Academy" for me and let me know. I know Roy Jones Sr. had a gym, but thats all I know.

King Eugene
HAHAHAHAH now thats funny.

I seen a fight once in Atlanta and for some odd reason they had R&B artist Bobby Valentino color commentating. Dude got dropped a straight left hand and Valentino proceeds to say "man what a damn right hook he dropped him with" blank stare moment
BoxingEinstein

My cousins friend came over my house with him and his girlfriend to spend some time with me. It was when Pacman was fighting Cotto.

My cousins friend claimed he attended one of Floyd's boxing camps. He claimed that Floyd showed and taught all the campers about the rules of boxing, what you should do, patience and all this other shit.

So I was quite relieved hearing this since my cousin and his girlfriend don't know much about boxing at all. Frankly, they came over to get high since they had no other place to do it but whatever.

Any ways, when Round 2 started my cousins friend stated that and I quote, "Cotto was counter punching Pacman with rights all day. I give that round a 12-7 to Pacman" SMFH.

Then when Cotto got knocked down in Round 4 he stated that Pacman fouled Cotto with his elbow and then punched after they replayed the knock-down clearly.

When in round 11 when Manny was stalking a bloodied Cotto who was on his bicycle, he stated that Cotto was being fouled and that's why he was bleeding. SMH

I told him, "Look, Pacman put on a great performance against a guy who is bigger than and stronger than him. He overpowered him with a fight fire with fire mentality. He dropped Cotto with punches he didn't see coming. He bloodied up his face because Cotto isn't that good of a defence fighter. I don't believe you ever went to the Mayweather camp, not even Lennonx Lewis would did that bad of commentating on a fight like you". And that's all she wrote.
Cshel86
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 29 2011, 08:15 PM) *
HAHAHAHAH now thats funny.

I seen a fight once in Atlanta and for some odd reason they had R&B artist Bobby Valentino color commentating. Dude got dropped a straight left hand and Valentino proceeds to say "man what a damn right hook he dropped him with" blank stare moment

Hahahaha!!! What the does "Half-pint Valentino" know about boxing? I would've probably got thrown out of there for yelling something crazy to that dude. It couldn't have been any worse than that show on BET a few years back, when the music industry guys and Floyd Mayweather coached a team of MMA fighters, smh. That shit sucked...talking a bunch of guys who dont know anything about the fight game! Lol

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Sep 29 2011, 08:38 PM) *
My cousins friend came over my house with him and his girlfriend to spend some time with me. It was when Pacman was fighting Cotto.

My cousins friend claimed he attended one of Floyd's boxing camps. He claimed that Floyd showed and taught all the campers about the rules of boxing, what you should do, patience and all this other shit.

So I was quite relieved hearing this since my cousin and his girlfriend don't know much about boxing at all. Frankly, they came over to get high since they had no other place to do it but whatever.

Any ways, when Round 2 started my cousins friend stated that and I quote, "Cotto was counter punching Pacman with rights all day. I give that round a 12-7 to Pacman" SMFH.

Then when Cotto got knocked down in Round 4 he stated that Pacman fouled Cotto with his elbow and then punched after they replayed the knock-down clearly.

When in round 11 when Manny was stalking a bloodied Cotto who was on his bicycle, he stated that Cotto was being fouled and that's why he was bleeding. SMH

I told him, "Look, Pacman put on a great performance against a guy who is bigger than and stronger than him. He overpowered him with a fight fire with fire mentality. He dropped Cotto with punches he didn't see coming. He bloodied up his face because Cotto isn't that good of a defence fighter. I don't believe you ever went to the Mayweather camp, not even Lennonx Lewis would did that bad of commentating on a fight like you". And that's all she wrote.

Damn Einstein, Im surprised you let it go on that long, lol. I hope he didn't try to argue with you about it and try to back up that off-the-wall mess he was saying. I cant believe he threw the whole Mayweather camp story in there, smh. You should already know the minute something like that comes out of your mouth, you should be ready to answer questions and your every word will be held to a higher standard.
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 29 2011, 08:52 PM) *
Hahahaha!!! What the does "Half-pint Valentino" know about boxing? I would've probably got thrown out of there for yelling something crazy to that dude. It couldn't have been any worse than that show on BET a few years back, when the music industry guys and Floyd Mayweather coached a team of MMA fighters, smh. That shit sucked...talking a bunch of guys who dont know anything about the fight game! Lol

Damn Einstein, Im surprised you let it go on that long, lol. I hope he didn't try to argue with you about it and try to back up that off-the-wall mess he was saying. I cant believe he threw the whole Mayweather camp story in there, smh. You should already know the minute something like that comes out of your mouth, you should be ready to answer questions and your every word will be held to a higher standard.

Yeah, I was quite in a hazed state of mind since my cousin was smoking weed and I obviously had 2nd hand smoke inhalation. But after I said that he got quiet and my cousins girlfriend asked," Who is Lennox Lewis?" I personally asked my cousin to never bring his friend around again when it's boxing night but other than that he's cool just his boxing knowledge is on the level of Pacman and Mayweather fanatic fans.
King Eugene
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Sep 29 2011, 08:38 PM) *

This shit had my stomach hurting. LMAO
Cshel86
Personally, when Im watching a fight, I just want everybody to shut tha hell up...especially if they aren't qualified observers, or close to it.

I remember the day of the Mayweather/Mosley fight, my dad was getting all excited about the fight and was betting on Mosley. He was sitting on the couch, then turned around and asked me, "Mosley just fought De La Hoya last year, right?" That shit was definitely a "Twix moment", and I almost wanted to say something smart but I had to think it over, real quick. He was probably thinking of the Margarito fight, but he never cleared it up. My dad used to box (not pro) and he can tell you all about boxing, but when it comes to who fought who, he blows it every time.
Cshel86
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 29 2011, 09:52 PM) *
This shit had my stomach hurting. LMAO

I know right? 12-7...in what lifetime? That would've done it for me, lol.
Lil-lightsout
I used to watch Lennox Lewis train in the Poconos,Pa. Anyway there are some people just watching and every time a big black guy would enter the room these couple of guys in front of me would say "there's Lennox". LOL! It was just sparring partners coming for there workout. Lewis came a little late and when he entered I informed them it was the real Lennox.

At live fights in NY or AC, there is always someone who thinks the main event could come at any time. It's early in the preliminaries and there is always that "here comes the main event".

I also remember one time watching a Barrera fight at this place where you only paid a $1 to get in to watch PPV fights. Anyway I overheard a few guys talking about the name Tapia on the back of Barrera's trunks. The one guy was telling his buddy the reason is cause he is good friends with Johnny Tapia. laugh.gif I made him look like an ass when I corrected him and told them the real reason is it's Marco's mother's maiden name.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 29 2011, 10:19 PM) *
I used to watch Lennox Lewis train in the Poconos,Pa. Anyway there are some people just watching and every time a big black guy would enter the room these couple of guys in front of me would say "there's Lennox". LOL! It was just sparring partners coming for there workout. Lewis came a little late and when he entered I informed them it was the real Lennox.

At live fights in NY or AC, there is always someone who thinks the main event could come at any time. It's early in the preliminaries and there is always that "here comes the main event".

I also remember one time watching a Barrera fight at this place where you only paid a $1 to get in to watch PPV fights. Anyway I overheard a few guys talking about the name Tapia on the back of Barrera's trunks. The one guy was telling his buddy the reason is cause he is good friends with Johnny Tapia. laugh.gif I made him look like an ass when I corrected him and told them the real reason is it's Marco's mother's maiden name.

Aw hell...this part did it for me! I couldn't have been there...did they whisper it when they said it? Oh yeah, its very easy to talk up the next fight as the main event, if you dont know the full card info. Johnny Tapia?! Hahahahaha!!! I can imagine how sarcastic you were when you corrected them!
Fitz
Ehhhh
Jack 1000
Al Bernstein: (after Hagler-Hearns): "This man (Hagler) has gained any redemption he needed from the LOSS to Roberto Duran."

I have heard people call Floyd Mayweather, "Floyd Meriwether" or "Floyd Mayflower!" LOL! But they sort of come back to reality when I say, "Who are you talking about?" They say, "I mean that fighter nobody likes!"

Jack
Big Slim Sweet
What pisses me off is anytime someone arrives at a party during one of the undercard fights on a PPV, checks out the screen and casually asks, "When's the real fight start?"

I always say, "You mean the main event? This is a real fight going on right now."
juanpa
you know what grinds my gears? everytime we buy a ppv fight we invite the whole family, and what pisses my off is that they come when the main event has already started. not only that, they love to say hi and have a chat!!!

as far as dumb comments go, i have heard: BANG... BANG...BANG BANG!!! TRY AND STOP IT! BANG HERE I COME
(PACQUIAO VS CLOTTEY)

King Eugene
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Sep 30 2011, 12:13 AM) *
What pisses me off is anytime someone arrives at a party during one of the undercard fights on a PPV, checks out the screen and casually asks, "When's the real fight start?"

I always say, "You mean the main event? This is a real fight going on right now."

This burns me the fuck up. This is the main reason why I have to watch the fight at home because if its not the main event they want to turn the TV to a basketball game or something else til the main events come up. I'm like dumbass half of the time the better fights are on the undercard.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 29 2011, 11:09 PM) *
Al Bernstein: (after Hagler-Hearns): "This man (Hagler) has gained any redemption he needed from the LOSS to Roberto Duran."

I have heard people call Floyd Mayweather, "Floyd Meriwether" or "Floyd Mayflower!" LOL! But they sort of come back to reality when I say, "Who are you talking about?" They say, "I mean that fighter nobody likes!"

Jack

Hahahaha!!! They used to mess Floyd's name up bad! People hardly remember his name nowawdays...like you said, they mostly refer to him as the "fighter that nobody likes". Lol!

Hahahaha!!! That shit does it for me every time. Hate it! Thats why I always tell the harcore boxing fans to come to my house at 9pm and I text everybody else to show up around 10:30ish.

QUOTE (juanpa @ Sep 30 2011, 12:31 AM) *
you know what grinds my gears? everytime we buy a ppv fight we invite the whole family, and what pisses my off is that they come when the main event has already started. not only that, they love to say hi and have a chat!!!

as far as dumb comments go, i have heard: BANG... BANG...BANG BANG!!! TRY AND STOP IT! BANG HERE I COME
(PACQUIAO VS CLOTTEY)

Yeah I hear ya...the protocol during the main event is to come in, fix a plate, get a drink, and STFU! Simple as that...talk to me between rounds. I will give you 60 secs to get it out, but after that...resume the position of STFU and sit down.

QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 30 2011, 12:34 AM) *
This burns me the fuck up. This is the main reason why I have to watch the fight at home because if its not the main event they want to turn the TV to a basketball game or something else til the main events come up. I'm like dumbass half of the time the better fights are on the undercard.

Hell yeah...if I pay for the fight, then Im watchin' ALLLLL of the fights on the card. I get your drift, thats why I always order fights at home instead of going to bars or somebody else's house.
Jack 1000
My Gear Grinder:

You're at a house with 20 people to watch boxing. 5 are good fight fans, The other 15 are just there for a party and they talk non-stop during the whole card, with their 3-4 little fucking kids running around and the wives/girlfriends sitting in the same room yakking. Not about the fight. NO! They sit there swapping dinner and cookie recipes, what the kids are doing in school, the little shit kids have their hands in the cheese dip, and when you ask them to be quit, it works.... for about 30 seconds.

Then it starts all over again. That's what kills going to parties. Families have no consideration for the reason why people are there in the first place. To watch the fights.

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 30 2011, 01:43 AM) *
My Gear Grinder:

You're at a house with 20 people to watch boxing. 5 are good fight fans, The other 15 are just there for a party and they talk non-stop during the whole card, with their 3-4 little fucking kids running around and the wives/girlfriends sitting in the same room yakking. Not about the fight. NO! They sit there swapping dinner and cookie recipes, what the kids are doing in school, the little shit kids have their hands in the cheese dip, and when you ask them to be quit, it works.... for about 30 seconds.

Then it starts all over again. That's what kills going to parties. Families have no consideration for the reason why people are there in the first place. To watch the fights.

Jack

Hahahahaha!!! Dont you just hate those "wind-up toy" kids that keep running around...and its worse when they keep running up to you! Man, I've had several Margaritas & coke and bacardis sitting between my feet, that got knocked over because little ones were always are running up to me, smh. Yeah, all of those sidebar conversations kill me! I hate being at somebody's house, and the man of the house acts like he doesn't even know how to work the remote. Thats when Im ready to load up the jab and execute!
STEVENSKI
I remember I used to always have a BBQ on a Sunday afternoon when the fights were on & during Lewis vs Tyson I had about 20 people over. Most knew jack shit about boxing & those that did believed Tyson was gonna win. I cracked the shits & told everyone to fuck off punched a few hot ones & went to my bedroom & watched the fight. After every round I went outside & asked in a really condescending manner how is Mike doing?
Spyder
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 29 2011, 10:51 PM) *

laugh.gif

Without fail.

My pet peeve migrated to UFC events, but it used to be present at every boxing show. The tough guys watching two trained fighters on TV, and claiming that they could kick the shit out of both of them. Sure buddy.
Method
Outside of the boxing forums, I rarely have the time/patience to discuss/listen to anyone regarding the sport of boxing. They just dont know what we know - Im not specifically talking about the nuances of the art, specifically - but also the back room dealings, the promotional beefs, issues going on, etc. etc.

Yes, I do understand those (not all of them, mind you) that actually run sites or write or cover the sport, have contacts or inside info even superior to those of us that scour the headlines and message boards every day, but that's not the common sports fan, which most in life are.

Cshel - I would have kicked that dude out of my house.
Cshel86
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 30 2011, 03:14 AM) *
I remember I used to always have a BBQ on a Sunday afternoon when the fights were on & during Lewis vs Tyson I had about 20 people over. Most knew jack shit about boxing & those that did believed Tyson was gonna win. I cracked the shits & told everyone to fuck off punched a few hot ones & went to my bedroom & watched the fight. After every round I went outside & asked in a really condescending manner how is Mike doing?

Hahahaha! Thats how you do it. Im sure it was a quiet living room, because that fight a jaw-dropper to the unqualified obeserver. I remember how quiet my living room was for the Cotto Margarito fight. I won more than a few dollars that night, because everybody thought Cotto was gonna take the cake. Classic Stevenski and the condescending approach! Lol

QUOTE (Spyder @ Sep 30 2011, 04:06 AM) *
My pet peeve migrated to UFC events, but it used to be present at every boxing show. The tough guys watching two trained fighters on TV, and claiming that they could kick the shit out of both of them. Sure buddy.

Tell me about it! Everybody suddenly gets macho and become gurus of the sport when they watch the fights. Lord willing, there are no women in the same room...thats when dudes get super stupid!

QUOTE (Method @ Sep 30 2011, 04:59 AM) *
Outside of the boxing forums, I rarely have the time/patience to discuss/listen to anyone regarding the sport of boxing. They just dont know what we know - Im not specifically talking about the nuances of the art, specifically - but also the back room dealings, the promotional beefs, issues going on, etc. etc.

Yes, I do understand those (not all of them, mind you) that actually run sites or write or cover the sport, have contacts or inside info even superior to those of us that scour the headlines and message boards every day, but that's not the common sports fan, which most in life are.

Cshel - I would have kicked that dude out of my house.

I feel like we are in a totally different universe than everybody else when it comes to discussing the sport. You're right, its a waste of brain cells trying to discuss boxing outside of the forum. I wanted to kick him out, but I do get a kick out of people making an ass of themselves, so I stuck it out.
Cshel86
The one statement from casual fans /no-boxing-watching ass people is..."Man, they need to just go 'head and make that Mayweather and Pacquiao fight happen. They just need to go ahead and fight and get it over with, man".

This one does it for me EVERY TIME! We (as fighthypers) already know whats going on with everything, but to even attempt to try and explain it to somebody who knows nothing about it, is quite a daunting task. If I happen to be cool with the person who's asking about the fight, I simply grab two beers, tell them to have a seat, and I began the story.

Me: Well, back in 2009...
(and the story continues)
alaganza
My wife's co workers invited us to fight party a few years ago. (Hopkins and Wright) On the invite they mentioned they would be playing board games and card games at the party. (strike one) There was also mention of a pool. (strike two) And at the bottom of the invite it said "Come watch Winky Wright knock Bernard Hopkins out". (strike 3)

I'm thinking to myself, Lady Winky Wright couldn't knock you out.

I am very picky with whom I watch boxing. I don't do the sports bars because of what many of you have mentioned earlier in this thread. I don't do the fight parties at someone's home. (Same reason stated above). And I don't have a lot of people at the house when I'm watching it. Fights cost too much for someone to bump their gums throughout the card.

The way I see it you have one of two choices when you come to the house to watch a fight. Either you shut the heck up....... or go the heck home!
Cshel86
QUOTE (alaganza @ Sep 30 2011, 03:41 PM) *
My wife's co workers invited us to fight party a few years ago. (Hopkins and Wright) On the invite they mentioned they would be playing board games and card games at the party. (strike one) There was also mention of a pool. (strike two) And at the bottom of the invite it said "Come watch Winky Wright knock Bernard Hopkins out". (strike 3)

I am very picky with whom I watch boxing. I don't do the sports bars because of what many of you have mentioned earlier in this thread. I don't do the fight parties at someone's home. (Same reason stated above). And I don't have a lot of people at the house when I'm watching it. Fights cost too much for someone to bump their gums throughout the card.

The way I see it you have one of two choices when you come to the house to watch a fight. Either you shut the heck up....... or go the heck home!

Man you are preaching to the choir! I always make sure I know who's coming to my spot for a fight party, though 1 or 2 unexpected people slide through. Like you said, it costs too much to sit and listen to somebody bump their gums the whole time, especially if they dont know what they're talking about. I cant do the parties at other people's house...either there's not enough food or the beers/drinks are warm and limited. I definitely haven't been to a bar to watch a fight since '08 (Jones/Trinidad). We were damn near shoulder-to-shoulder in there, and this one guy got excited and jumped up after a knockdown happened...sad thing is, he bumped another guy's arm while he was drinking a beer and it ended up chipping his tooth laugh.gif That was enough for me...
Method
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 30 2011, 02:59 PM) *
If I happen to be cool with the person who's asking about the fight, I simply grab two beers, tell them to have a seat, and I began the story.

Me: Well, back in 2009...
(and the story continues)

AAAAAAaahhhhhahahaahahahahaha. Man, as funny as that is, I dont even have the patience to do that. YOu'd go through a whole case of beer chronicling the whole shit show, and I wager at some point, half way through, you look at your buddy, squint and say, "wait, what was the point I was just trying to make?".
Cshel86
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 30 2011, 04:17 PM) *
AAAAAAaahhhhhahahaahahahahaha. Man, as funny as that is, I dont even have the patience to do that. YOu'd go through a whole case of beer chronicling the whole shit show, and I wager at some point, half way through, you look at your buddy, squint and say, "wait, what was the point I was just trying to make?".

Sometimes I like to entertain bullshit...it all depends on who it is OR how much of an ass they are making of themselves. It also depends on how much I've had to drink, lol. Yeah sometimes, the thought of going over the whole negotiations nonsense can be a bit of a hassle...and you're right, I tend to get lost in the story.
King Eugene
QUOTE (alaganza @ Sep 30 2011, 03:41 PM) *
And at the bottom of the invite it said "Come watch Winky Wright knock Bernard Hopkins out". (strike 3)

Mannnnnnnnnnnnnn that was too damn funny! laugh.gif

I hate when you have that one guy in the room that knows somebody that knows somebody who boxes and they talk through the whole fight explaining everything wrong to the casual viewers in the room. I just sit back and shake my head listening to the bullshit. No point in saying anything to him because then he'd be interupting the fight even more.

Another thing that grinds my gears is when somebody's only arguement as to who won the fight is who threw the most punches.

The ooooooo's and aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh's every time a big punch is thrown and not even landed. I'm like STFU...he didn't even hit him!
mgrover
when they claim rocky balboa is there boxing idol....
alaganza
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 30 2011, 07:41 PM) *

I hate when you have that one guy in the room that knows somebody that knows somebody who boxes and they talk through the whole fight explaining everything wrong to the casual viewers in the room. I just sit back and shake my head listening to the bullsh*t. No point in saying anything to him because then he'd be interupting the fight even more.

Another thing that grinds my gears is when somebody's only arguement as to who won the fight is who threw the most punches.

The ooooooo's and aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh's every time a big punch is thrown and not even landed. I'm like STFU...he didn't even hit him!

THANK YOU!!!! Now you want to talk about grinding gears. I hate that when a guy throws a bunch of punches, nothing lands, and people are acting like the fight should be stopped or something.

And you know what else that grinds my gears? I hate the fact that people don't understand the difference between a guy winning a fight and a whopping his opponent's behind.

Example: A friend of mine called me from Korea and we were talking about the Hagler-Leonard fight. (dating myself) And he was going on and on about how Leonard whipped Hagler pretty bad. Really? He now goes on my football only conversation list.

Mean Mister Mustard
I've had people asking "Who's playing?". Then I go into the whole "You don't play boxing" speech and I look like a pompous jackass.
pesticid
I hate people that say they don't care for any fighters under 147 because they think they can knock them out in a street fight. Most of these guys would not be even able to beat a flyweight in a street fight.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Oct 1 2011, 04:59 AM) *
The one statement from casual fans /no-boxing-watching ass people is..."Man, they need to just go 'head and make that Mayweather and Pacquiao fight happen. They just need to go ahead and fight and get it over with, man".

Sometimes the casual fan is spot on. This is one of those times.
Cshel86
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 30 2011, 07:41 PM) *

I hate when you have that one guy in the room that knows somebody that knows somebody who boxes and they talk through the whole fight explaining everything wrong to the casual viewers in the room. I just sit back and shake my head listening to the bullshit. No point in saying anything to him because then he'd be interupting the fight even more.

Tell me about it! Dudes kill me with that mess about who they know. What really gets me is when they say, "My homeboy showed me some of that boxin' stuff, so I know what Im doing". Those "oooos and aaahhhhs" make me get up and go for another drink to drown it out...

QUOTE (alaganza @ Sep 30 2011, 09:59 PM) *
THANK YOU!!!! Now you want to talk about grinding gears. I hate that when a guy throws a bunch of punches, nothing lands, and people are acting like the fight should be stopped or something.

And you know what else that grinds my gears? I hate the fact that people don't understand the difference between a guy winning a fight and a whopping his opponent's behind.

Example: A friend of mine called me from Korea and we were talking about the Hagler-Leonard fight. (dating myself) And he was going on and on about how Leonard whipped Hagler pretty bad. Really? He now goes on my football only conversation list.

Hahahaha!!! Though some fighters sound like they have microphones in their gloves, all of those punches dont land...depsite the sound. I guess the sound throws people off, and they fall for it everytime.

QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 30 2011, 10:42 PM) *
I've had people asking "Who's playing?". Then I go into the whole "You don't play boxing" speech and I look like a pompous jackass.

laugh.gif laugh.gif
Warlord
I stopped watching fights with anyone in the room for a plethora of reasons, most of which have already been listed by you guys. My wife knows better than to come into the room when a fight is on, unless it's on her knees with a sandwich and some ice-cold Coca Cola. Even then she must put said merchandise down with little to no noise, back out slowly, make no eye contact, and kow-tow several times in repentance for the interruption.

My favorite is when I was a kid and my mom would come in the room and ask me what inning it was. How do you even respond to something like that?

Another reason I refuse to watch fights with people is because I always back losers, and I have to hear it from people around me when my fighter is getting his ass whooped. Always shit like "He ain't got a chance, man. It's all over." It's just like, "Fuck I know! Just shut the fuck up and let take the vicarious beat down and shut the fuck up already!"
Method
QUOTE (Warlord @ Oct 1 2011, 01:38 AM) *
Another reason I refuse to watch fights with people is because I always back losers, and I have to hear it from people around me when my fighter is getting his ass whooped. Always shit like "He ain't got a chance, man. It's all over." It's just like, "Fuck I know! Just shut the fuck up and let take the vicarious beat down and shut the fuck up already!"

Haha. I tend to back underdogs (read: LOSERS) too, which is why I don't watch boxing w my bitch. She's a front runner, and so on the random times she happens to be able to stay up late to watch a fight, it would automatically pit her on the other side of who I have money on or want to win. Nothing worse than someone not knowing shit or having a vested interest in the sport planting down next to you and rooting against what you want/need to happen.

As far as...

Even then she must put said merchandise down with little to no noise, back out slowly, make no eye contact

I laughed my ass off.
Snoop
Fairweather fans who go on all day about their favorite fighter but can't name their championship fights or the bouts that made them famous.

People who call fighters "cowards, putos or bitches" because they are boxing instead of brawling, especially if the person has never boxed themselves or at the very least, understand how incredibly long 3 mins is inside a boxing ring. Unless of course they're talking about Kermit Cintron.

Anyone who screams at the screen telling a fighter to just "punch harder!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.