Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Freddie Roach says Mayweather is slowing down.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
HazConvictedFelonMane
http://www.boxingscene.com/roach-mayweathe...able-now--44391

Freddie Roach (the biggest cherry picking trainer in boxing today) has gone on the record stating that Floyd is slowing down. I guess he feels that Floyd's been slowing down ever since the Mosley fight. I have to ask, if Mayweather was 32 when he fought Shane Mosley, and he showed signs of slowing down then, what does that mean for Pacquiao who's at that same age right now? I fail to understand how every other fighter begins to show signs of slowing down, but the one who refuses to take a drug test, looks 'faster than ever'?

http://fightfan.com/2011/09/pacquiao-faste...pines/#comments

No matter where you stand from a fan's point of view, the facts are clear. Freddie Roach looks for fighters who've had consecutive outings that show some type of vulnerability. On video, Roach stated that Oscar was the perfect opponent because of his age, and his last 2 fights weren't that great. During the Face Off with Margarito, he said that he saw his last 2 fights, when asked why he thought that Manny would get him outta there in 5 or 6 rounds. Miguel Cotto had 2 bad outings in a row. Shane Mosley had 2 bad outings in a row. The pattern is ever so clear.

I'm not saying that Floyd Mayweather is the model citizen of boxing. There are many things that I find annoying about him. He's not the shining example of the ultimate prize fighter. He does, however, make a concerted effort to take on the fighters who are in the ring to win, not just pick up a check. Freddie Roach is a cherry picker and the only way I see them allowing the fight to happen, is if Floyd Mayweather starts looking like he's vulnerable. Right now, I just don't see them willing to risk it all against a very capable fighter who can get it done like Mayweather can. I'd love to see that fight happen but common sense tells me that if Shane Mosley was 'too dangerous' at 37 years old, Marquez was avaoided for 3 extra years because he has Manny's number, hen Mayweather will never be on the horizon for them because he is still very much the most difficult night of work for Pacquiao that there is. I side with Mayweather when he says that the media praises PacMan for beating half dead fighters. Just tell the truth. If he's being led by a cherry picking team to beat on washed up fighters with names, then call it as such. Saying this guy is P4P the best fighter in the world because he beat up a few old guys, then you're just a dick rider. Let's not forget that Mayweather took on 2 fighters that Manny did not. They were there, they would've loved the opportunity but it was never offered because Team Pacquiao would rather prefer to sit back, let guys get good and beat up before he decided to make a move. Sorry to sound like a broken record but the pactards are back to doing what they normally do, talking crazy.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Sep 30 2011, 12:09 PM) *
http://www.boxingscene.com/roach-mayweathe...able-now--44391

Freddie Roach (the biggest cherry picking trainer in boxing today) has gone on the record stating that Floyd is slowing down. I guess he feels that Floyd's been slowing down ever since the Mosley fight. I have to ask, if Mayweather was 32 when he fought Shane Mosley, and he showed signs of slowing down then, what does that mean for Pacquiao who's at that same age right now? I fail to understand how every other fighter begins to show signs of slowing down, but the one who refuses to take a drug test, looks 'faster than ever'?

http://fightfan.com/2011/09/pacquiao-faste...pines/#comments

No matter where you stand from a fan's point of view, the facts are clear. Freddie Roach looks for fighters who've had consecutive outings that show some type of vulnerability. On video, Roach stated that Oscar was the perfect opponent because of his age, and his last 2 fights weren't that great. During the Face Off with Margarito, he said that he saw his last 2 fights, when asked why he thought that Manny would get him outta there in 5 or 6 rounds. Miguel Cotto had 2 bad outings in a row. Shane Mosley had 2 bad outings in a row. The pattern is ever so clear.

I'm not saying that Floyd Mayweather is the model citizen of boxing. There are many things that I find annoying about him. He's not the shining example of the ultimate prize fighter. He does, however, make a concerted effort to take on the fighters who are in the ring to win, not just pick up a check. Freddie Roach is a cherry picker and the only way I see them allowing the fight to happen, is if Floyd Mayweather starts looking like he's vulnerable. Right now, I just don't see them willing to risk it all against a very capable fighter who can get it done like Mayweather can. I'd love to see that fight happen but common sense tells me that if Shane Mosley was 'too dangerous' at 37 years old, Marquez was avaoided for 3 extra years because he has Manny's number, hen Mayweather will never be on the horizon for them because he is still very much the most difficult night of work for Pacquiao that there is. I side with Mayweather when he says that the media praises PacMan for beating half dead fighters. Just tell the truth. If he's being led by a cherry picking team to beat on washed up fighters with names, then call it as such. Saying this guy is P4P the best fighter in the world because he beat up a few old guys, then you're just a dick rider. Let's not forget that Mayweather took on 2 fighters that Manny did not. They were there, they would've loved the opportunity but it was never offered because Team Pacquiao would rather prefer to sit back, let guys get good and beat up before he decided to make a move. Sorry to sound like a broken record but the pactards are back to doing what they normally do, talking crazy.

Definitely, but there is one thing that should happen, it's the only thing that I really care about that involves Freddie Roach and that's Amir Khan vs. Floyd Mayweather. Come on GBP, you can make that fight happen very easily. Set it up and the fans will watch worldwide.
Sicko
Amir Khan is not ready for Mayweather, don't matter if Mayweather is "SLOWING DOWN" he still beats Khan REGARDLESS!
EAlbian
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Sep 30 2011, 11:37 AM) *
Definitely, but there is one thing that should happen, it's the only thing that I really care about that involves Freddie Roach and that's Amir Khan vs. Floyd Mayweather. Come on GBP, you can make that fight happen very easily. Set it up and the fans will watch worldwide.

really? thats the only fight involving Roach that you care about? Not one other fight that the fans might want a little more??
THands126
Make no mistake about it: I believe Roach. I believe he may be correct and I believe that even if he isn't, he believes he is. The only positive thing about it is that if they indeed believe Floyd is slowing down, then perhaps that will allow them to finally stop hiding behind Arum to get this fight together. And if anything, I believe both Floyd and Manny, to some degree, have been waiting for each other to slow down.

Is Floyd really more "hittable" though? Considering that his game plan against Ortiz was predicated upon coming forward, I'd say that if he appeared easier to make contact with it was more a product of his strategy than his reflexes or defensive ability.
mgrover
floyds been slowing down ever since he came to the welterweight division but know I think he's a fully fledged welterweight than a jr welterweight having to put on those pounds. he simply uses skills to neutralize the problem, like Hopkins does and like Toney. I respect Roach at times, but at other times he just talks bollocks.
BoxingFan86
Roach may be correct, but Floyd's speed is not what makes him great. When people (trainers, fighters, etc...) start to realize this, maybe they'll be fortunate enough to find a blueprint to beatin' him. Honestly, I'm tired of hearin' 'bout Pacquiao-Mayweather, though. Unless the ink is dry, I don't wanna hear these guys mentioned in the same sentence.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Sep 30 2011, 01:54 PM) *
floyds been slowing down ever since he came to the welterweight division but know I think he's a fully fledged welterweight than a jr welterweight having to put on those pounds. he simply uses skills to neutralize the problem, like Hopkins does and like Toney. I respect Roach at times, but at other times he just talks bollocks.

I wonder why it's so hard for the professionals to figure this out. Even the common fans like you and I can see this shit clear as day.
BigDDatHomey
Amir Kahn and Mayweather? Kahn gets knocked out badly in the 5th.
Manny doesn't want Floyd off of the PEDs. The only chance Manny has is a way around the test.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ Sep 30 2011, 02:01 PM) *
Amir Kahn and Mayweather? Kahn gets knocked out badly in the 5th.
Manny doesn't want Floyd off of the PEDs. The only chance Manny has is a way around the test.

Man, don't bring that shit in here. Do you really think Manny eats power pellets? You do know that's a rumor Mayweather Sr. started, right? Although Manny gave that rumor some validity when he rejected the test, he could've rejected it for other reasons such as an inflated ego, etc... I hate egos in boxin' when it comes to the business side of things, especially when it involves big fights.
Seek
QUOTE (THands126 @ Sep 30 2011, 12:15 PM) *
Make no mistake about it: I believe Roach. I believe he may be correct and I believe that even if he isn't, he believes he is. The only positive thing about it is that if they indeed believe Floyd is slowing down, then perhaps that will allow them to finally stop hiding behind Arum to get this fight together. And if anything, I believe both Floyd and Manny, to some degree, have been waiting for each other to slow down.

Is Floyd really more "hittable" though? Considering that his game plan against Ortiz was predicated upon coming forward, I'd say that if he appeared easier to make contact with it was more a product of his strategy than his reflexes or defensive ability.

Yeah I don't buy that Floyd's legs are gone or going. I wouldn't say Floyd is changing his style by being more aggressive but the way he was chasing Ortiz and trying to knock him out did make him more vulnernable considering how outweighed he was.

Final impressions I had was that Floyd can't move up to 154. He is clearly a small welter weight. Maybe vs guys like Cotto is also is a small JMW and WW for that matter but vs dudes like Canelo and Martinez he's cuttin it close. Would Floyd fight at a catchweight vs the likes of Martinez and Canelo? I personally don't believe so.

Future opponents for Floyd? Of course I believe Pacquiao should be next but I HIGHLY doubt it's going to happen next. There is really nobody else out there other than Khan which won't happen till late 2012.

How do I see things panning out? If Floyd decides to fight more than once next year I see him fighting first the winner of Berto and Ortiz rematch. And I think there may have to be a rematch before he fights either one. If that doesn't happen then you can assure Khan is next. We're less than a year away from that fight happening and already there's talk that it will happen.

I am sure Pacquiao will fight into 2013 and that's when we'll get our mega-match. I'm sure the die hard pacquiao fans would love nothing more than to see Pacquiao put up a good fight with Floyd only to say manny lost because he was over the hill

How's that sound?
Cshel86
There are about 4 or 5 Mayweather/Pacquiao threads open at this time. Unless someone other than me, feels that this topic should be merged...this is the final post.

CLOSED

Thank You
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.