Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jack1000
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Vaughn831
Why is it that everytime someone writes a topic about Floyd u always quick to say something about it. You even disabled one of my pages just because I wrote a topic on Floyd and Pacquiao.....these are things that everyone wants to talk about and you of all people should know this, especially since thats all the media and boxing fans are interested in. Its like you want to be the only one to talk about Floyd or somethin damn I know you guys are coo but my nigga..... your not that niggas body guard or anything, just relax dude. Let the people talk about what they want. Who has time to check all the forum topics to see if something was already a topic before. Even if it was don't you feel like more than one person should beable to give their own take on it??? just sayin

Fighthype was my favorite site but now your making it too corporate, with all these rules at the end of the day just let people talk boxing in anyway they choose no restrictions
Method
Hahahahah. This is funny.

What a tangled web we weave...

Jack 1000
QUOTE (Vaughn831 @ Oct 1 2011, 06:07 PM) *
Why is it that everytime someone writes a topic about Floyd u always quick to say something about it. You even disabled one of my pages just because I wrote a topic on Floyd and Pacquiao.....these are things that everyone wants to talk about and you of all people should know this, especially since thats all the media and boxing fans are interested in. Its like you want to be the only one to talk about Floyd or somethin damn I know you guys are coo but my nigga..... your not that niggas body guard or anything, just relax dude. Let the people talk about what they want. Who has time to check all the forum topics to see if something was already a topic before. Even if it was don't you feel like more than one person should beable to give their own take on it??? just sayin

Fighthype was my favorite site but now your making it too corporate, with all these rules at the end of the day just let people talk boxing in anyway they choose no restrictions

Hi!

You can talk about Floyd all you want. We are aware that he and Manny are indeed the most popular fighters in boxing. No problem with that. The problem is that people do not read the forum rules that prohibit the creating of duplicate threads that are just there to talk nonsense. There are MANY, MANY threads open about Floyd to talk about and Manny to talk about. All we ask is to look through the board and to please reply within an existing thread about the topic that you want to talk about instead of creating a new thread that is already open.

These guidelines were created based on community input over a period of 10 years. For instance, back when Tyson was fighting we would have up to 30-40 duplicate topics just about Tyson. Maybe 5 of them were good, the others were just there to take up space. We were asked to work on consolidating topics to make the forums more manageable and easier to navigate. To help with this, we even created a Tyson Forum. When he retired from boxing, we removed it.

We do not want to be power-hungry or doctoral in any way, but we really want to try to keep some organization to the thread topics. When there are 5, 10, 15, threads about a fighter that say the same thing, users can't follow along with what is what.

Maybe we need to create a special forum just for Manny and Floyd. I really don't think our requests to ask users to please reply within existing threads when possible is being unreasonable. It's worked for us for 10 years, and it's helped everyone. Like I said, reply in any thread about Manny or Floyd that you want. But pointless topics that are just created on the board that have been covered to death 100 times over WILL be closed.

Create new threads only when it talks about new things. I hope this helps and does not seem harsh. We really do our best to be fair to everyone.

Regards,

Jack

Administrator
Method
At this point, j1k, "we" is you.
Vaughn831
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 1 2011, 07:32 PM) *
Hi!

You can talk about Floyd all you want. We are aware that he and Manny are indeed the most popular fighters in boxing. No problem with that. The problem is that people do not read the forum rules that prohibit the creating of duplicate threads that are just there to talk nonsense. There are MANY, MANY threads open about Floyd to talk about and Manny to talk about. All we ask is to look through the board and to please reply within an existing thread about the topic that you want to talk about instead of creating a new thread that is already open.

These guidelines were created based on community input over a period of 10 years. For instance, back when Tyson was fighting we would have up to 30-40 duplicate topics just about Tyson. Maybe 5 of them were good, the others were just there to take up space. We were asked to work on consolidating topics to make the forums more manageable and easier to navigate. To help with this, we even created a Tyson Forum. When he retired from boxing, we removed it.

We do not want to be power-hungry or doctoral in any way, but we really want to try to keep some organization to the thread topics. When there are 5, 10, 15, threads about a fighter that say the same thing, users can't follow along with what is what.

Maybe we need to create a special forum just for Manny and Floyd. I really don't think our requests to ask users to please reply within existing threads when possible is being unreasonable. It's worked for us for 10 years, and it's helped everyone. Like I said, reply in any thread about Manny or Floyd that you want. But pointless topics that are just created on the board that have been covered to death 100 times over WILL be closed.

Create new threads only when it talks about new things. I hope this helps and does not seem harsh. We really do our best to be fair to everyone.

Regards,

Jack

Administrator

I can dig it
zucrates
QUOTE (Vaughn831 @ Oct 1 2011, 07:07 PM) *

I see both sides but seeing that you are fresh in your post if you or anyone else who wants to create a topic on this site that are new to make a topic up how the hell could anyone who just joined know what has been posted before they joined fight hype or know if something they question has been done before where the list of old topics
CrazyBuffalO
I havenít really tried posting any topic about Floyd or Pac on this forum yet since I joined.

And people (actually everyone here) would attest that Iím a Floyd fan. Itís just that common sense tells me that there is already a wealth of Floyd/Manny threads on here that there is not such a need for new ones. And so I just reply to existing ones on here.

And since we are also on the topic of forum rules here (Iíll not waste this opportunity to add to it), when I post I donít resort to personal attacks. When I attack I usually attack the subjects of the thread but not the poster. Say when there is something I do not like about Manny I would attack Manny since he is a ďsubjectĒ of discussion, but I wouldnít attack the Manny fan who posted the topic. In that way there is harmony among fellow forum members.
In some very few cases where I do post things that attack Manny fans or other boxing fans itís usually only retaliation to what they have posted against me. So they attacked me first as a poster, and I only returned the favor. So thatís the difference. I hope everyone could be like this to preserve a healthy and encouraging online community.
Cshel86
QUOTE (CrazyBuffalO @ Oct 2 2011, 12:59 AM) *
I havenít really tried posting any topic about Floyd or Pac on this forum yet since I joined.

And people (actually everyone here) would attest that Iím a Floyd fan. Itís just that common sense tells me that there is already a wealth of Floyd/Manny threads on here that there is not such a need for new ones. And so I just reply to existing ones on here.

And since we are also on the topic of forum rules here (Iíll not waste this opportunity to add to it), when I post I donít resort to personal attacks. When I attack I usually attack the subjects of the thread but not the poster. Say when there is something I do not like about Manny I would attack Manny since he is a ďsubjectĒ of discussion, but I wouldnít attack the Manny fan who posted the topic. In that way there is harmony among fellow forum members.
In some very few cases where I do post things that attack Manny fans or other boxing fans itís usually only retaliation to what they have posted against me. So they attacked me first as a poster, and I only returned the favor. So thatís the difference. I hope everyone could be like this to preserve a healthy and encouraging online community.

C'mon Buffalo, we've been through this several times, I know we have. As I've stated before, you only comment on Mayweather/Pacquiao threads, more so Mayweather threads, if you're not busy bashing Pacquiao. Not only do you exclusively comment on those particular threads, you always end up digging a hole for yourself when your points and analogies are countered with credible information.

You had a few quality posts, but the majority of them have been countered by substantial arguments that you failed to respond to. Let's not play the victim here, because those "things that I dont like about Manny" posts, ALWAYS warrant a response with decent evidence of your opinion to say the least, but you never support your post and we end up not seeing you for days at a time afterwards. I've actually backed you up on a few of your posts. No hard feelings here, and theres no reason to complain when you dont even back up the majority of your perspectives.
Jack 1000
This is how I view the issue,

Let's assume that every thread on the board is reasonable quality and meets the general forum rules. I look at topics on ANY forums. (entertainment, social, sports, political) like chapters in a book. Now, if you were reading an autobiography of Floyd or Manny and you have a copy of such a book, you would logically expect that book to be divided into chapters so that you could read each chapter in Floyd or Manny's book to follow along what the story is about. The book has a beginning, a middle, and an end.

What creating multiple threads about the exact same topic does, IMO, it's like someone took that book of Manny's or Floyd's and broke it up into sections by taking pages out of it. It's still, using this example ,an autobiography about Manny or Floyd but when you have multiple threads that say the same things, it's like pages ripped out of a book:

Thread 1 has pages 1-30
Thread 2 has pages 31-65
Thread 3 has pages 66-90

And so on to the end of the book.

And than each person is commenting about the same book and has to go through all these different threads to find out that what was said in thread 3, has already been covered in thread 1. That's frustration for any moderator or administrator of any forum.

It's so much easier to treat each thread topic like its own little book, and we all come to the forum with ideas. If you have a thought that corresponds to the thread ("book chapter") that you want to talk about, you reply within to expand on the topic and make it grow.

This is what I find helpful, and I use this system myself before contributing to any forums:

Before you create a new thread, just ask yourself, "Are you contributing a new idea that has not been covered and meets forum guidelines?" Is it a new thought? Is it a new "book" that people are going to want to read? Or is it something that is already part of an existing idea "chapter" that is already being discussed?

Any quality forum has some sort of rules and regulations about duplicate threads, bumping threads, general guidelines. And seriously, if you think that we are too strict, go to some political forum or so many of the other forums on-line that are filled with garbage, flaming, hatred, spam. It's just a madhouse by comparison. I think we are pretty laid back here, but at the same time, not so much that we don't have some sense of general order and expectation. We have to be doing something right for the past decade.

I think when the new users have been around for a little while, they will see the benefits of why our formula for success works. Our community has been around for ten years, and it's because of you, the users, that make this community the greatness that it is!

Jack

Administrator
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 2 2011, 06:49 PM) *
This is how I view the issue,

Let's assume that every thread on the board is reasonable quality and meets the general forum rules. I look at topics on ANY forums. (entertainment, social, sports, political) like chapters in a book. Now, if you were reading an autobiography of Floyd or Manny and you have a copy of such a book, you would logically expect that book to be divided into chapters so that you could read each chapter in Floyd or Manny's book to follow along what the story is about. The book has a beginning, a middle, and an end.

What creating multiple threads about the exact same topic does, IMO, it's like someone took that book of Manny's or Floyd's and broke it up into sections by taking pages out of it. It's still, using this example ,an autobiography about Manny or Floyd but when you have multiple threads that say the same things, it's like pages ripped out of a book:

Thread 1 has pages 1-30
Thread 2 has pages 31-65
Thread 3 has pages 66-90

And so on to the end of the book.

And than each person is commenting about the same book and has to go through all these different threads to find out that what was said in thread 3, has already been covered in thread 1. That's frustration for any moderator or administrator of any forum.

It's so much easier to treat each thread topic like its own little book, and we all come to the forum with ideas. If you have a thought that corresponds to the thread ("book chapter") that you want to talk about, you reply within to expand on the topic and make it grow.

This is what I find helpful, and I use this system myself before contributing to any forums:

Before you create a new thread, just ask yourself, "Are you contributing a new idea that has not been covered and meets forum guidelines?" Is it a new thought? Is it a new "book" that people are going to want to read? Or is it something that is already part of an existing idea "chapter" that is already being discussed?

Administrator

Stay cool Jack laugh.gif
BoxingStill#1
Since this thread is so dramatic, and entertaining..

And since its also titled "jack 1000", im assuming it can be veiwed as an open PM to you.. lls!..

So here goes,.. may I make a suggestion to the administrative board?

I agree whole heartedly with..well,.. both. I often don't look in the archives for threads posted about Pac/ Floyed ect. Reason is I enjoy conversation and interaction. People post new threads about he same subject because (imo) they want to be relavant and responded to. And perhaps not just adding a comment that will never be looked at again simply because it isn't there for everyone to view when we first log into the site.

I leave a point that could of turn the entire tide of the conversation (so to speak), or provided information that would people would have learned from or laughed at, or cursed about and so forth.. but it will rarely ever be seen again because people, like me, find it a bit inconvenient to search for the appropriate thread...

Its like showing up to a baseball game,.. when the janitor is picking up cups, and hotdog wrappers..

My suggestion:

Since the Mayweather Pac is such a huge, ongoing topic in boxing, why not create a shortcut on the main page that would take readers and members to the threads previously posted. Or perhaps even one big forum (as you spoke of) that would be much easier to locate.

Kinda like a convneince key or something..

Idk.. just sayin, what are your thoughts?
Spyder
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Oct 2 2011, 02:14 AM) *
Stay cool Jack laugh.gif

Haha

An oldie but a goody.
Snoop
This is one of the more entertaining threads as of late, the best part being someone referring to Jack1000 as "my nigga".
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Snoop @ Oct 3 2011, 10:35 AM) *
This is one of the more entertaining threads as of late, the best part being someone referring to Jack1000 as "my nigga".

laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.