Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Garry Russel jr Vs Yuriorkis Gamboa
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Vaughn831
I give Garry Russel jr. a couple more fights and I think A clash between him and gamboa would be a very good fight. These are two of the fastest and most skilled up and coming fighters out there, who would you pick in this one??? For me it is up in the air it would come down to who wants it more, but I think Garry Russel has more skill actually and I even think he is faster but Gamboa has more Power that would be a good one.........
caneman
Gamboa stops him right now IMO! About 8 rounds!
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Vaughn831 @ Oct 1 2011, 10:49 PM) *
I give Garry Russel jr. a couple more fights and I think A clash between him and gamboa would be a very good fight. These are two of the fastest and most skilled up and coming fighters out there, who would you pick in this one??? For me it is up in the air it would come down to who wants it more, but I think Garry Russel has more skill actually and I even think he is faster but Gamboa has more Power that would be a good one.........
Yup, that would definitely be a choice evening of boxing. I'm not sure who promotes Russell, but if he isn't with Top Rank I don't see Arum letting Gamboa fight him, because Russell, although untested, might have what it takes to beat Gamboa.
Cshel86
I still have to give this to Gamboa, even after Russell has a couple of before prior to this fight. Gamboa does make mistakes, and I feel that Russell will give him a few hard rounds because his speed will allow him to get to the inside and get off a bit...unlike some of Gamboa's opponents.
bosco
Russell fades in fights and it seems like he doesn't have that fire inside him. A good fight for 5 rounds and then Gamboa takes over. Russell can be broken.
EAlbian
I think Russell has exceptional speed and good fundamentals but I don't see the "it" in him. He's like a Berto to me, Berto has the skills to be exceptional but he's more sizzle than substance when it comes down to it. Even with fight i don't see Russel as the next big thing. I see it in Gamboa and I see it in Donaire. The other young guy who I think might have it is Broner. I'm not 100% on him but something about him says special to me, only time will tell for all of these guys.

Broner and Russel are both Golden Boy fighters, Gamboa and Donaire are TR
caneman
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Oct 2 2011, 10:08 AM) *
I think Russell has exceptional speed and good fundamentals but I don't see the "it" in him. He's like a Berto to me, Berto has the skills to be exceptional but he's more sizzle than substance when it comes down to it. Even with fight i don't see Russel as the next big thing. I see it in Gamboa and I see it in Donaire. The other young guy who I think might have it is Broner. I'm not 100% on him but something about him says special to me, only time will tell for all of these guys.

Broner and Russel are both Golden Boy fighters, Gamboa and Donaire are TR

I like Broner and don't dislike Russell and think they would be a good fight and tell us a lot about both guys but Russell isn't even fighting 10 round fights, on HBO YET! lol

I agree with with you though, we have yet to see the fire and all those guys should be fighting 3 times a year...EVERY ONE OF THEM!
EAlbian
QUOTE (caneman @ Oct 2 2011, 10:17 AM) *
I like Broner and don't dislike Russell and think they would be a good fight and tell us a lot about both guys but Russell isn't even fighting 10 round fights, on HBO YET! lol

I agree with with you though, we have yet to see the fire and all those guys should be fighting 3 times a year...EVERY ONE OF THEM!

Broner fought 7 times in 2009, 5 times in 2010, and so far 3 times in 2011(has a fight next month w/ an opponent on HBO). He's pretty active. Russell is also very active. These guys are only 2-3 years into their pro careers tho.

Donaire fought 3 times in 2010 but only once so far in 2011, he could use to be more active but promotional issues sidetracked him.

Gamboa fought 4 times in 2009 , 3 times in 2010, and so far twice in 2011 and and I dont think we see him again this year.

I agree that Donaire and Gamboa need to stay active but they are getting to the point now where i think we only see them 2x a year. Russell and Broner need a year or two imo before they are ready for a donaire or gamboa
caneman
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Oct 2 2011, 10:59 AM) *
Broner fought 7 times in 2009, 5 times in 2010, and so far 3 times in 2011(has a fight next month w/ an opponent on HBO). He's pretty active. Russell is also very active. These guys are only 2-3 years into their pro careers tho.

Donaire fought 3 times in 2010 but only once so far in 2011, he could use to be more active but promotional issues sidetracked him.

Gamboa fought 4 times in 2009 , 3 times in 2010, and so far twice in 2011 and and I dont think we see him again this year.

I agree that Donaire and Gamboa need to stay active but they are getting to the point now where i think we only see them 2x a year. Russell and Broner need a year or two imo before they are ready for a donaire or gamboa

Agreed! And my point was that fighters don't fight enough any more but thanks for the info cause I didn't think they were that active...Gamboa should have a lot more fight than he does @ his age!
EAlbian
QUOTE (caneman @ Oct 2 2011, 11:12 AM) *
Agreed! And my point was that fighters don't fight enough any more but thanks for the info cause I didn't think they were that active...Gamboa should have a lot more fight than he does @ his age!

oh i agree with you 100%. Donaire should be way more active in his career up to this point. Gamboa has only been a pro since 2007, he had a pretty extensive amateur career so he was moved kinda fast. I'd still like to see him fight at least 3x a year. All of these guys need more exposure imo, they should be fighting BAD cards as well as co-features on WC boxing and Showtime cards. They need to be on the undercards of the Mayweathers and Pacquiaos. These guys need to be highlighted more so that the public has a chance to see them. They are a big part of the future of the sport. Its ridiculous that guys are more willing to take a quick payday on a WC card against a nobody or an overmatched opponent and then sit on the shelf for 6-9mo instead of taking less money and gaining huge exposure on a PPV undercard. The UFC does such a good job of setting up future matches by featuring fighter on the same cards as their stars
caneman
Agreed but UFC is a different animal cause the best fight the best and it's controlled by 1 guy who makes them fight each other and don't pay big $$$ so they all stay hungry and are willing to fight each other...it keeps the politics outta the equation as well! @ least to a point! You know?

I have said this many times for many years, in the old days the best fought the best to get their $$$, these days many just fight the right guys to get their $$$ and it shows by their resumes IMO! ALL OF THEM TO A POINT!
Cshel86
How could I forget about that cunt Broner? Dude does have skills, he just gets under my skin from time to time. I would definitely give him a couple more fights before he gets in there with Gamboa. He has decent speed and excellent movement that would probably frustrate Gamboa down the stretch. As far as Russell, he still has ways to go. I would hate for him to look like a tomato can in there against Gamboa this soon, though he has decent enough handspeed and movement to get inside and make it somewhat of a fight.
caneman
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Oct 2 2011, 12:22 PM) *
How could I forget about that cunt Broner? Dude does have skills, he just gets under my skin from time to time. I would definitelygive him a couple more fights before he gets in there with Gamboa. He has decent speed and excellent movement that would probably frustrate Gamboa down the stretch. As far as Russell, he still has ways to go. I would hate for him to look like a tomato can in there against Gamboa this soon, though he has decent enough handspeed and movement to get inside and make it somewhat of a fight.

Good post but right NOW if they fought, Broner would give him trouble early on and the fight would play out accordingly IMO! It would make or break either guy! It be fun to see what kinda chin Broner actually has! It be fun to watch!!!!
HazConvictedFelonMane
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Oct 2 2011, 01:22 PM) *
How could I forget about that cunt Broner? Dude does have skills, he just gets under my skin from time to time. I would definitely give him a couple more fights before he gets in there with Gamboa. He has decent speed and excellent movement that would probably frustrate Gamboa down the stretch. As far as Russell, he still has ways to go. I would hate for him to look like a tomato can in there against Gamboa this soon, though he has decent enough handspeed and movement to get inside and make it somewhat of a fight.

What the fuck do you know? What are your qualifications? You're just another Joe Schmoe just like me homie.
caneman
I think some has a stalker!!!! thumbsdown_anim.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (caneman @ Oct 2 2011, 07:18 PM) *
I think some has a stalker!!!! thumbsdown_anim.gif

No male stalkers for me!
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
caneman
IDK bruh, with a persona like his he could be trying to front so no one knows he's on the downlow or some shit! dntknw.gif
BoxingEinstein

Gamboa will dust off Russel Jr. shoes. Russel can't even clean Gamboa's spitbucket. Russel is fighting 8 round fights because he has stamina problems and it showed when he was supposed to be with his Olympic team but gassed out and blacked out, so he couldn't participate.

Gamboa has been in there with veterans, good champions, decent fighters and fighters who really come to win.

Gamboa sparks out Russel within 8 or 7 rounds maybe.

Russel needs more variety of opponents to see where he is at.

Russel vs Mikey Garcia would be a good fight.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Oct 3 2011, 05:04 PM) *
Gamboa will dust off Russel Jr. shoes. Russel can't even clean Gamboa's spitbucket. Russel is fighting 8 round fights because he has stamina problems and it showed when he was supposed to be with his Olympic team but gassed out and blacked out, so he couldn't participate.

Gamboa has been in there with veterans, good champions, decent fighters and fighters who really come to win.

Gamboa sparks out Russel within 8 or 7 rounds maybe.

Russel needs more variety of opponents to see where he is at.

Russel vs Mikey Garcia would be a good fight.

Hahahaha!!! The only way the fight would even last that long, is if Gamboa does what he did in his last fight and not try to get 'em outta there early. I agree with the Russell/Garcia fight in the meantime though.
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Oct 3 2011, 05:25 PM) *
Hahahaha!!! The only way the fight would even last that long, is if Gamboa does what he did in his last fight and not try to get 'em outta there early. I agree with the Russell/Garcia fight in the meantime though.

I don't know why someone would make a topic about this it should've been, "Gary Russel Jr. vs Mikey Garcia" or "Nonito Donaire vs Yuriorkis Gamboa", see the difference in level comparison.

I wished they did a tourney with these guys and the winner faces Donaire or Gamboa so it gives the young and upcoming guys seasoning and more experience against good level of competition.

Tourneys need to happen more in boxing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.