Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If The Big Three Were Replaced
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Allmenjoi8
If Lampley, Merchant, and Stewart were replaced who would HBO get to fill the void
My picks would be
1. Lenox Lewis/Tyson (for sheer entertainment)
2. George Foreman/Roy Jones
3. Teddy Atlas or one of the Gumble Brothers. I like Brian Gumble better
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
James Toney, Roy Jones and Bernard Hopkins laugh.gif
STEVENSKI
Bob Sheridan alone so he could just talk over every fight & say "this is the Colonel Bob Sheridan here & this is my 976th world title fight." over & over.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 5 2011, 07:33 PM) *
Hahaha, so true.

We get punished by Bob. He can also say hello to his good friends in Australia like Angelo Hyder. I have to say though I find Lampley as irritating as a urinary tract infection.

I will say though I did hear a great interview with him on SEN last week.
mgrover
anyone thats boxed but doesnt refer to himself this isnt directed at roy jones jr merely so when the fighters say youve never boxed they can simply say bitch please.
dhoward126
Elie Seckbach, so he can ask everyone in the ring what they think of Brandon Rios.
Cshel86
Man the Big 3 are solid, I wouldn't know what to do if they were gone. In my honest opinion, Jim Lampley simply cant be replaced, no matter how you slice it. I like what they are putting into play nowadays though, now that I've gotten used to it. Max Kellerman is cool, though I couldn't stand the sight of him a few short years ago. RJJ will always be the man, he speaks well and knows his shit. Though he can thank his athleticism for his career success, he still knows his stuff...along with the fact that he does toot his own horn while calling a fight.

Emmanuel Steward is cool, though I sometimes get tired of his last minute "I felt like this was gonna happen while the fighters were walking into the arena" predictions, then he takes it upon himself to make words up sometimes, and thats only if he's not bust stumbling over his words. He knows his shit, and I cant argue with that.

For now I see RJJ and Kellerman taking over, and I see HBO hanging on to Lampley as long as they've hung on to Merchant. Bob Papa could fly away for all I care...piss poor commentating. The only thing funny about him is when a knockdown occurs and his whole voice get loud and groggy! Lol
bnoles4life
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Oct 5 2011, 10:37 AM) *
Man the Big 3 are solid, I wouldn't know what to do if they were gone. In my honest opinion, Jim Lampley simply cant be replaced, no matter how you slice it.

Personally, I can get by in life w/ very little to NO Jim Lampley. Both his and Larry Merchant's Midsummer Nights Dream-like soliloquies are so tiresome, they come off as these contrived rennaisance men...in Lampley's case; a "fruit"

Emmanuel Steward is cool, though I sometimes get tired of his last minute "I felt like this was gonna happen while the fighters were walking into the arena" predictions, then he takes it upon himself to make words up sometimes, and thats only if he's not bust stumbling over his words. He knows his shit, and I cant argue with that.

I like Emmanuel...to be honest, I give him a lot of credit for attempting to appear neutral. I remember when Floyd called him an "Uncle Tom" and he did a pretty good job of not chastising Floyd throughout the fight.

For now I see RJJ and Kellerman taking over, and I see HBO hanging on to Lampley as long as they've hung on to Merchant. Bob Papa could fly away for all I care...piss poor commentating. The only thing funny about him is when a knockdown occurs and his whole voice get loud and groggy! Lol

Joe Tessitore would be a good one.
Jack 1000
Man the Big 3 are solid, I wouldn't know what to do if they were gone. In my honest opinion, Jim Lampley simply cant be replaced, no matter how you slice it. I like what they are putting into play nowadays though, now that I've gotten used to it. Max Kellerman is cool, though I couldn't stand the sight of him a few short years ago. RJJ will always be the man, he speaks well and knows his shit. Though he can thank his athleticism for his career success, he still knows his stuff...along with the fact that he does toot his own horn while calling a fight.

+1!

Merchant and Lamps just have this chemistry whether you like them or not that cannot be replaced. Atlas is far too arrogant for HBO's "team network." He would be apt to punch someone in the face in disagreement. He already got suspended once by ESPN for punching a cameraman. Atlas needs everything his way. Kellerman has improved since ESPN a lot. I really like Jones as a commentator. When Roy started losing fights, he became humble, cool, and enjoyable to listen too. Foreman, I used to like when he first came on years ago. Than the novelty wore off for me, and now I miss him.

HBO commentary is better than Showtime by a long shot, even though I like Al Bernstien.

Jack
AlynK

I could see Kellerman taking over but I'm not a huge fan of him. He knows his stuff, but in my opinion he sometimes let's his biases take over his overall perspective. He's still a good commentator but I think he needs a little work on objectivity.

I really like the perspective Roy Jones Jr. brings and I think Bernard Hopkins would be good to hear from too.
EAlbian

Lampley has to be the best color guy in the game, his voice is synonymous with HBO boxing. I'm not 100% sold on RJJ but he's not bad. I really though Leonard would have been better. I like Hopkins but sometimes it takes him a little too long to spit shit out. If Oscar wasn't such a tool i think he could actually be good. I like Andre Ward, I think he has a future. Tarver is pretty good as well. I wouldn't mind seeing Hagler get back into the commentating role. Just for fun I'd like to see Lou Dibella on there haha
Cshel86
Yes, Joe Tessitore is a considerable pick. He beats Bob Papa by a long shot, he just seems to depend on the other commentators to help him recognize whats going on in the ring. You're right Jack, Teddy Atlas is a loose screw to say the least, and of course, he has to be the star of the show. Now George Foreman was the man! He knew his shit, and he took little to none from Merchant.

Foreman would say some the funniest things, especially when Trinidad was referring to Vargas a baby. Then Foreman says, "There's a little blood on the side of Trinidad's, the right side of Trinidad's eye, so that baby can scratch". Lol.

I also remember that spat that Foreman and Lampley had at the end of the Barrera/Hamed fight, when Lampley said something about Hamed andAllah, but he will know how to spell Barrera. B-A-R-R-E-R-A! Foreman got back at him, but they cut that part out on the replay of the fight, so there a long gap of silence as the fight closed out.

Here it is...

Cshel86
QUOTE (AlynK @ Oct 5 2011, 12:56 PM) *
I could see Kellerman taking over but I'm not a huge fan of him. He knows his stuff, but in my opinion he sometimes let's his biases take over his overall perspective. He's still a good commentator but I think he needs a little work on objectivity.

I really like the perspective Roy Jones Jr. brings and I think Bernard Hopkins would be good to hear from too.

Yeah I can see that also, he's more solid as a commentator nowadays. He does have the tendency to get over emotional like Lampley, but his is funny unlike Lampley's at times.

Max Kellerman:"Oh my ggg... those were some thhhudding shots! Oh my God"! Lol! Too funny!

QUOTE (EAlbian @ Oct 5 2011, 12:57 PM) *
Lampley has to be the best color guy in the game, his voice is synonymous with HBO boxing. I'm not 100% sold on RJJ but he's not bad. I really though Leonard would have been better. I like Hopkins but sometimes it takes him a little too long to spit shit out. If Oscar wasn't such a tool i think he could actually be good. I like Andre Ward, I think he has a future. Tarver is pretty good as well. I wouldn't mind seeing Hagler get back into the commentating role. Just for fun I'd like to see Lou Dibella on there haha

Yes Lampley has solidified his name and presence in the sport long ago. You can use sound bytes of his voices and put them in promotional videos for fighters, and it fits perfectly! RJJ is good in my book, and so is Hopkins, but like you said, it takes him forever get his shit out sometimes, but its knowledgeable. SRL didn't do much for me as a commentator, I guess his voice didn't fit for some reason (my opinion). I like Tarver as well...just gotta watch out for his "showers of excitement" when he talks. I can just hear him through the tv, and I know for a fact that dude spits unusually often when he talks.

Oscar's girly voice would just blow me, but I would also be interested in what he has to say. As for Dibella, i would pay to see that! Dude talks more shit 10 Chinese radio stations with everybody talking at the same time! I think Pascal and Hamed would have me rollin'! Thats just my personal choice though.
Snoop
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 5 2011, 04:44 PM) *
+1!

Merchant and Lamps just have this chemistry whether you like them or not that cannot be replaced. Atlas is far too arrogant for HBO's "team network." He would be apt to punch someone in the face in disagreement. He already got suspended once by ESPN for punching a cameraman. Atlas needs everything his way. Kellerman has improved since ESPN a lot. I really like Jones as a commentator. When Roy started losing fights, he became humble, cool, and enjoyable to listen too. Foreman, I used to like when he first came on years ago. Than the novelty wore off for me, and now I miss him.

HBO commentary is better than Showtime by a long shot, even though I like Al Bernstien.

Jack

Wow. Gotta disagree with this one. Al Bernstien is by far my P4P favorite commentator. He knows his shit, even though his voice isn't as dynamic as say, Lampley's. Tarver is surprisingly good as I would hold him on par with Roy Jones, who is also a HUGE improvement from Lennox Lewis. The only guy I can't stand on Showtime is Gus Johnson. I don't think he started watching boxing until he got this job.
BoxingEinstein

If the big three were replaced I would love to see the following

1.Al Bernstein

2. Roy Jones Jr.

3. Either Bernard Hopkins or Mike Tyson...Tyson really has alot of interesting things to say when he analyses a fight.

I also love UK commentators, they love boxing and are really enthusiastic when watching a fight. They aren't bias and really pay attention to some key points that no other commentator I've heard pay attention to. To me what sent chills down my spine was when one UK commentator, commentating on the Mayweather/Mosley fight he said, "Styles makes fight right? If that's true then how can anyone beat Mayweather if he knows how to adjust to any style in the ring?" good question and intriguing one indeed in my opinion.

Please, no Lennox Lewis or Teddy Atlas both guys aren't fit unless Lewis does commentating for amature boxing and Atlas stays where' at on FNF.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 5 2011, 11:44 AM) *
+1!

Jack

He punched a cameraman?? Wow!!! Teddy I think I just fell even more in love with you. The angry Announcer. I can see he and Merchant beating the crap out each other. Come on Teddy!!!
Mean Mister Mustard
Al Bernstein, Steve Farhood and Roy Jones Jr.
Allmenjoi8
Bob Costas, Lennox Lewis, and Jones Jr./ Tyson
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Oct 5 2011, 05:26 PM) *
He punched a cameraman?? Wow!!! Teddy I think I just fell even more in love with you. The angry Announcer. I can see he and Merchant beating the crap out each other. Come on Teddy!!!

Larry to Teddy: "If I were 50 years younger, I'd kick your ass!" LOL! LOL!!! Atlas vs, Merchant!!!!

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 5 2011, 07:38 PM) *
Larry to Teddy: "If I were 50 years younger, I'd kick your ass!" LOL! LOL!!! Atlas vs, Merchant!!!!

Jack

Merchant would get his ass handed to him on this one, cause Im sure respect for old age would be the last thing on Teddy's mind. Hell, if Teddy Atlas pulled a gun on Mike Tyson, then he wouldn't mind throwing a square at Merchant for good measure.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Snoop @ Oct 5 2011, 02:03 PM) *
Wow. Gotta disagree with this one. Al Bernstien is by far my P4P favorite commentator. He knows his shit, even though his voice isn't as dynamic as say, Lampley's. Tarver is surprisingly good as I would hold him on par with Roy Jones, who is also a HUGE improvement from Lennox Lewis. The only guy I can't stand on Showtime is Gus Johnson. I don't think he started watching boxing until he got this job.

Al is good on Showtime for sure. But Lamply is great when a fight is thrilling! Oh, if Jim would have called Corrales-Castillo I!!! The only time where Lamps was NOT good was when Douglas KO'd Tyson. He was more calmer than usual. I think everyone was in shock! Bob Sheridan's Douglas-Tyson call is AWESOME! (i.e The KO!) It's on par with Cosell's call of Foreman-Frazier I!

Jim sort of ruined Tarver's KO of Jones in the second fight by talking too much over the moment.

Jack

PS. Col Bob loves ALL the alphabet belts and is a Don King Suck-Up! He will tell you over and over again what Alphabet Titles are on the line in a fight.
Snoop
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 6 2011, 12:46 AM) *
Al is good on Showtime for sure. But Lamply is great when a fight is thrilling! Oh, if Jim would have called Corrales-Castillo I!!! The only time where Lamps was NOT good was when Douglas KO'd Tyson. He was more calmer than usual. I think everyone was in shock! Bob Sheridan's Douglas-Tyson call is AWESOME! (i.e The KO!) It's on par with Cosell's call of Foreman-Frazier I!

Jim sort of ruined Tarver's KO of Jones in the second fight by talking too much over the moment.

Jack

PS. Col Bob loves ALL the alphabet belts and is a Don King Suck-Up! He will tell you over and over again what Alphabet Titles are on the line in a fight.

For me, Lampley has more style than knowledge, his voice is just exciting to hear; he doesn't really saying anything of real value. If you replaced Gus Johnson (Showtime's wannabe Lampley), then I think you'd have a star team right there.
kingknockout
delete
pesticid
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Oct 5 2011, 12:57 PM) *

Lou Dibella sucks at talking. I remember him in a boxing vs mma debate against Joe Rogan and he got destroyed. Malignaggi is the sharpest speaker in boxing now. Nobody is better at breaking and talking the fight game as he does. Bhop like Atlas is too much about himself. Roy Jones contradicts himself, Tarver is biased, so is Lamley and so is Merchant. Emmanuel seems like he doesn't know shit when he talks about boxing, he flip flops the most. I am not saying he doesn't know it's just the his presentation sucks. George Foreman was my favourite even though he seemed as he didn't know what he was talking about either. Geroge jus thas this presnece, I love him.
Cshel86
QUOTE (pesticid @ Oct 5 2011, 09:33 PM) *
Lou Dibella sucks at talking. I remember him in a boxing vs mma debate against Joe Rogan and he got destroyed. Malignaggi is the sharpest speaker in boxing now. Nobody is better at breaking and talking the fight game as he does. Bhop like Atlas is too much about himself. Roy Jones contradicts himself, Tarver is biased, so is Lamley and so is Merchant. Emmanuel seems like he doesn't know shit when he talks about boxing, he flip flops the most. I am not saying he doesn't know it's just the his presentation sucks. George Foreman was my favourite even though he seemed as he didn't know what he was talking about either. Geroge jus thas this presnece, I love him.

I dont know if I could put up with Paulie the Parrot's talking throughout a fight. I wanna hide under a rock or throw one at him whenever he does interviews and so forth, so no Malignaggi! Please no Malignaggi!
Big Slim Sweet
Lampley is play by play, same as Gus Johnson, Joe Tessitore and Bob Papa. Merchant is the color, like Atlas, Bernstein and Kellerman. Steward, Jones and Tarver are the "experts"

Gus Johnson is awful. He just shrieks and shrieks. Hearing him during the pre-fight highlight packages is the worst. Papa is boring. Lampley is annoying and increasingly biased but still the best play by play guy in the business. Tessitore I have no opinion about.

Merchant is what he is, love him or hate him. Bernstein is the best in the business. Kellerman is getting better and better and is probably the future of the HBO announce team. We'll see how long Roy lasts this time around but he's great too. Tarver's been good so far as well.

Lennox was terrible. Tyson will never get an HBO gig. I doubt Hopkins would either. Guys like Chris Byrd, Nate Campbell, Malignacci, etc. might all be really good but they're not big enough stars for HBO to consider. I heard they were considering Freddie Roach. He'd be awful.

Worst possible combination: Gus Johnson and Teddy Atlas. Eardrums would erupt.
Snoop
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Oct 6 2011, 02:37 AM) *
Lampley is play by play, same as Gus Johnson, Joe Tessitore and Bob Papa. Merchant is the color, like Atlas, Bernstein and Kellerman. Steward, Jones and Tarver are the "experts"

Gus Johnson is awful. He just shrieks and shrieks. Hearing him during the pre-fight highlight packages is the worst. Papa is boring. Lampley is annoying and increasingly biased but still the best play by play guy in the business. Tessitore I have no opinion about.

Merchant is what he is, love him or hate him. Bernstein is the best in the business. Kellerman is getting better and better and is probably the future of the HBO announce team. We'll see how long Roy lasts this time around but he's great too. Tarver's been good so far as well.

Lennox was terrible. Tyson will never get an HBO gig. I doubt Hopkins would either. Guys like Chris Byrd, Nate Campbell, Malignacci, etc. might all be really good but they're not big enough stars for HBO to consider. I heard they were considering Freddie Roach. He'd be awful.

Agreed with everything in this post. Except the bit about Kellerman. He has potential, but at this point he's pretty damn annoying.
Warlord
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Oct 5 2011, 09:37 PM) *

Gus Johnson is the worst commentator in the history of sports. What a piece of shit. I remember him calling Seth Petruzelli's victory over Kimbo Slice the greatest upset in Mixed Martial Arts history.

And of course he raved on and on about Shaun Roger's "performance" against Fedor Emelianenko, even going so far as to ask Fedor if he'd give Rogers a rematch. This is, of course, after Fedor had just finished doing THIS to Rogers:

Just fucking retarded.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Warlord @ Oct 6 2011, 05:48 AM) *
Gus Johnson is the worst commentator in the history of sports. What a piece of shit. I remember him calling Seth Petruzelli's victory over Kimbo Slice the greatest upset in Mixed Martial Arts history.

And of course he raved on and on about Shaun Roger's "performance" against Fedor Emelianenko, even going so far as to ask Fedor if he'd give Rogers a rematch. This is, of course, after Fedor had just finished doing THIS to Rogers:

Just fucking retarded.

Yeah Gus Johnson has got to be the worst commentator, I wouldn't say ever, but at the present time he sucks. That permanent lipstick od his doesn't make it any better. I remember during the Froch/Taylor fight, hearing Gus yell, "Wow! Cannn Opener!!!" after some hard punches landed, smh. I laughed, but that shit was terrible at the same time. I couldn't even bear his hearing his voice for the Pac/Mosley bout. Oh yeah, cool sig!
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Snoop @ Oct 5 2011, 11:14 PM) *
Agreed with everything in this post. Except the bit about Kellerman. He has potential, but at this point he's pretty damn annoying.

I like Max cause he legitimately tries to speak for the younger generation of fans. I agree though he can still be annoying at times.

He also sports a pretty nasty looking cold sore from time to time.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Oct 6 2011, 02:41 PM) *
I like Max cause he legitimately tries to speak for the younger generation of fans. I agree though he can still be annoying at times.

He shoud be able to afford a good doctor to cure that. I hope his wife is tested.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Oct 6 2011, 07:41 PM) *

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Oct 7 2011, 02:23 PM) *
He shoud be able to afford a good doctor to cure that. I hope his wife is tested.

I hope he got it from muff diving some hood rat. He will go up in my estimations if he did.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Oct 6 2011, 03:41 PM) *

QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Oct 7 2011, 10:56 AM) *
I hope he got it from muff diving some hood rat. He will go up in my estimations if he did.

Looks like he got it from chewing on a 9-volt battery...well at least I hope thats the case.
wolterb
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Oct 6 2011, 03:41 PM) *

lol yea ive noticed that herp too
but i do think max tends to be the most level-headed. i liked jones jr. it was hilarious hearin him critique the other announcer's statements with a "you gotta have boxed to know what is goin on here" lampley is good for his facial expressions...whenever merchant goes off on a rant, lampley tilts his head and looks at larry and has half a grimace while he just nods with his eyes squinted lol he looks like he is in pain sometimes

i wonder how many conversations round the cooler happen between those guys about merchant, jones jr, etc. they pry talk shit about eachother lol
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Oct 7 2011, 09:56 AM) *

Muff diving? Wow. Just wow. That is a new term I have to share with the home-girls. Scots got to love them.

Do you get a lot of Brave heart references? I was going to name my Bear Dog William Wallace, damn zoning laws!
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Oct 7 2011, 05:47 PM) *
Muff diving? Wow. Just wow. That is a new term I have to share with the home-girls. Scots got to love them.

Do you get a lot of Brave heart references? I was going to name my Bear Dog William Wallace, damn zoning laws!

Generally not in Scotland no. It would make no sense for us to run around calling eachother braveheart. Specially when it is already assumed that everyone has at least an elementary skills base at England-hating. It is a film we are immensely proud of tho. After all, even tho our national hero was played by an Aussie, the Scottish history touched him so much that he too quickly opted to become a racist/sexist alcoholic.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Oct 8 2011, 12:51 AM) *
Generally not in Scotland no. It would make no sense for us to run around calling eachother braveheart. Specially when it is already assumed that everyone has at least an elementary skills base at England-hating. It is a film we are immensely proud of tho. After all, even tho our national hero was played by an Aussie, the Scottish history touched him so much that he too quickly opted to become a racist/sexist alcoholic.

I had an Irish Literature class and for some reason (including myself) we kept quoting scenes from Braveheart and my teacher who was Irish kept saying "You know he was Scottish?" Then she said, the only thing Irish and Scots have in common are their hate for the Union Jack and hard to understand accents." So then I said, Is there a William Wallace day in Ireland? The look she gave me I can still see.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Oct 9 2011, 04:27 PM) *
I had an Irish Literature class and for some reason (including myself) we kept quoting scenes from Braveheart and my teacher who was Irish kept saying "You know he was Scottish?" Then she said, the only thing Irish and Scots have in common are their hate for the Union Jack and hard to understand accents." So then I said, Is there a William Wallace day in Ireland? The look she gave me I can still see.

Probably the same look Pete Sampras would've given you if he'd heard you were trying to add an extra 's' to his name laugh.gif
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Oct 8 2011, 10:34 PM) *
Probably the same look Pete Sampras would've given you if he'd heard you were trying to add an extra 's' to his name laugh.gif

Maybe maybe not. I know his brother would be glade if anyone recoginzed him. Talk about polar opposites. I think his name is Gus on something like that.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Oct 9 2011, 04:41 PM) *
Maybe maybe not. I know his brother would be glade if anyone recoginzed him. Talk about polar opposites. I think his name is Gus on something like that.

Joi, it's called a joke.

J-O-K-E.

As in "I started a...................." (the Faith No More version.)
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Oct 9 2011, 03:27 AM) *

Its funny you should mention that, in all my travels to the US of A it has always staggered me the practically NO ONE can differentiate between Scottish and Irish. This despite the fact that every white person in America will tell you that they are either Scottish or Irish.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Oct 8 2011, 10:43 PM) *
Joi, it's called a joke.

J-O-K-E.

As in "I started a...................." (the Faith No More version.)

I got it. Ha. Def Comedy Jam for you good sir. Faith No More had the weirdest video with the fish dying at the end of the video. "You say what is this" Y

QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Oct 9 2011, 07:16 AM) *
Its funny you should mention that, in all my travels to the US of A it has always staggered me the practically NO ONE can differentiate between Scottish and Irish. This despite the fact that every white person in America will tell you that they are either Scottish or Irish.

When I took my Irish Lit class I had no idea that the Irish identified with the civil rights struggle in America or Apartheid in South Africa. I was shocked. But what is interesting even more is that Irish do not consider themselves white, but in America the Irish here think that being Anglo is something to behold. If they only knew how much the hate I mean hate Anglos in in Ireland. Its amazing actually.
Warlord
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Oct 9 2011, 07:16 AM) *

Not everyone, lol. My family migrated from Sweden to France to England to America.

But yeah, I know what you mean. My favorite is this chick I once worked with at my summer job in high school. A white as snow ho who thought she was ghetto. Had a black boyfriend, the Eve tattoos across her breasts, the works. I got along with her pretty well though, regardless of her lower mental capacities.

I once jokingly told her, "You know you're white, right?"

She replied, "I'm not white, I'm IRISH." She wasn't joking.

But I still laughed.
wolterb
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Oct 9 2011, 07:22 PM) *
When I took my Irish Lit class I had no idea that the Irish identified with the civil rights struggle in America or Apartheid in South Africa. I was shocked. But what is interesting even more is that Irish do not consider themselves white, but in America the Irish here think that being Anglo is something to behold. If they only knew how much the hate I mean hate Anglos in in Ireland. Its amazing actually.

there isnt one goddamn great thing about great britain. and the only thing irish about ireland, anymore, is the republic. the north is a goddamn encroachment and we've been dealin with intruders since the normans and vikings. and its not anglos, its the goddamn protestant british government....oh sorry got a lil worked up there

one of the men who really improved things for the irish was jon hume, and he modeled his philosophy and activism after the late, great martin luther king jr. there are numerous organizations through ireland that go to countries that are unstable due to regional conflict and they work on 'peace and reconciliation'. ireland is a great country with a lot of things goin on underneath the surface that most folks dont get a chance to really look into. glad you got to look at some of it
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (wolterb @ Oct 9 2011, 06:38 PM) *
there isnt one goddamn great thing about great britain. and the only thing irish about ireland, anymore, is the republic. the north is a goddamn encroachment and we've been dealin with intruders since the normans and vikings. and its not anglos, its the goddamn protestant british government....oh sorry got a lil worked up there

one of the men who really improved things for the irish was jon hume, and he modeled his philosophy and activism after the late, great martin luther king jr. there are numerous organizations through ireland that go to countries that are unstable due to regional conflict and they work on 'peace and reconciliation'. ireland is a great country with a lot of things goin on underneath the surface that most folks dont get a chance to really look into. glad you got to look at some of it

Do you guys still have Sein Fein (is that correct)? One of my favorite activist was Douglas Hyde. I heard Northern Ireland had a lot of immigrants. Which is odd. The Cranberries did that song Zombie which was about the Easter Sunday Rising. Great story. And what else was interesting is that the Leprechaun story did not originate in Ireland or Eire or Airlann, but America. How strange.
Spyder
My "Dream Team" of ringside commentators would be...Charlie, Mike, and Gary.

wolterb
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Oct 9 2011, 08:47 PM) *
Do you guys still have Sein Fein (is that correct)? One of my favorite activist was Douglas Hyde. I heard Northern Ireland had a lot of immigrants. Which is odd. The Cranberries did that song Zombie which was about the Easter Sunday Rising. Great story. And what else was interesting is that the Leprechaun story did not originate in Ireland or Eire or Airlann, but America. How strange.

sinn fein, sein fein, all depends on where yer at on the map. its still a political party, but it lost alot of representation this last election. alot of popularity amongst the labor party these days.

yea there is good history in ireland...you got a good one in douglas there.
im always drawn towards the more militant types of activists...but types like douglas and hume are incredibly important to struggles

were pretty off topic from the hbo commentators now, lol. but, if you ever get a chance to get one more snippet of irish history that is pretty interesting...try to dig up some information about the irish who lived in america when we were expanding over into mexican territory. many of them related more with mexico than the u.s. and so many fought against the u.s. by joining the mexican army. lol. great history great history
Cshel86
Any thoughts on the Big 3??? Just curious dntknw.gif ...
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Oct 9 2011, 08:23 PM) *

Sorry. I love talking international politics and since we have a Scot and an Irishman I could not resist.

My opinion HBO needs to look at the college football announcers and Futbol announcers. They are enthusiastic and they love the sport (and many of them played) that they are announcing. HBO commentators are too darn critical. There is no fun or excitement. They need newer younger guys doing the announcing.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Oct 10 2011, 01:23 AM) *

My thoughts are that we are only discussing this because Floyd threw a bitch fit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.