Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's time to quit making excuses for James Toney
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
http://www.boxinginsider.com/columns/it%e2...toneys-remarks/

By Johnny Walker

Ironically, this column started out as a piece praising heavyweight veteran James “Lights Out” Toney for his classy behavior during his recent trip to Russia for the announcement of his upcoming fight with top cruiserweight contender Denis Lebedev on November 4.

I had started to write that perhaps Toney had turned over a new leaf, that maybe getting out of the USA, where he amazingly has fought all but one of his whopping 84 professional fights, was going to be a very good, even life-affirming choice for James Toney, something that would expand his personal horizons.

As this video

)

shows, a slimmer, healthier looking James Toney was polite and gracious during this Russian presser, even saying that he was surprised by how “updated” Moscow is, “how futuristic” it seems, “like New York.” Toney smiled often, and his words, which so often seem garbled when he is talking trash back home, were for the most part very clear. He answered questions with good humor, and even a bit of grace.

I was very impressed with this version of Toney. I have been critical of his recent boxing form, and have worried that his speech indicated some very serious concerns regarding pugilistic dementia, but this video gave me pause.

It now seems as if, when he leaves his “Dee-troit ghetto” persona behind (and it’s been awhile since Toney lived in either Detroit or the ghetto), Toney seems almost … normal. The garbled and slurred speech now seems more like part of the act that Toney often defensively lapses into, like a bad habit, when he is interviewed by US journalists. Maybe Toney is just giving the Americans what he thinks they expect from him.

When Toney called the mother of the heavyweight champion Klitschko brothers a “fat German slut” in a recent interview with his omnipresent videographer Elie Seckbach, I was convinced by a boxing scribe colleague whose opinion I respect to let it go, to ignore the vile taunt on the basis of Toney being brain damaged and basically pitiful at this point in time—a beaten man and washed-up boxer who just couldn’t help his appalling behavior.

But now, with the undeniable evidence that Toney can indeed behave himself, and that he *does* know better, I have changed my mind. In Russia, Toney obviously felt it was in his best interest to behave himself, probably a very astute and very “healthy” decision on his part. So if James can do it over in Russia, if he can think and behave in a rational manner over there, there should be no excuses for what he says and does when he’s back in the USA.

Not long after I had begun writing the column praising Toney, another video, again made by Elie Seckbach, crossed my desk, this one made AFTER he had returned from Russia. I was hoping that the “new” James Toney I had seen in the Russian video would still be in evidence. Instead, what we see here is the Toney who has been doing the ghetto tough guy shtick in public for far too long.

In this new video (http://www.esnewsreporting.com/james-toney-not-going-to-watch-klitschko-documentary/), Toney calls the Klitschkos, who he says he longs to fight, “abortions that lived,” in a hateful reference to the recent Klitschko documentary. But it’s what he goes on to state next that is more troubling. Toney then claims that the Klitschkos have American associates like “Johnathon Banks from Detroit, who is kissing [the Klitschkos’] ass, he’s an ass-kisser too, Uncle Tom Jr. “

It is remarks like this that James Toney needs to be called on. Toney likes to deal in a kind of lazy reverse racism: he has made it crystal clear that he resents the fact that the current heavyweight champions are white Europeans, and that he sees a black fighter like Banks, who often works with the Klitschkos as a sparring partner, as a race traitor, an “Uncle Tom.”

It seems that James Toney doesn’t realize that this act has gotten old and tired. Eastern European fighters have proven remarkably impervious to the kind of “ghetto bad-ass” persona that James Toney has traded in for years and years. As a method of intimidation, Toney’s posturing may have worked at one point in time against certain fighters, but that time is passed and gone. Today, the result of this behavior is that James Toney makes himself look foolish and marginalizes himself as a relic of boxing’s past, the exact opposite of the result he badly wants, which is to be seen as relevant in the heavyweight division.

Whether James Toney likes it or not, Eastern European domination of the heavyweight division is a fact of the present, and is unlikely to change in near future. Ironically, even a rah-rah American boxing figure like Teddy Atlas has thrown in his lot with a Russian, Alexander Povetkin. Names like Helenius, Boytsov, Dimitrenko, Ustinov, Wach and Pulev loom on the horizon. The fall of the USSR had many after-effects, and one of them was a big change in the dynamics of boxing’s heavyweight division. An American heavyweight champion may again emerge, but the Europeans are indeed here to stay.

Given the new reality, and the mental make-up of the new breed of heavyweight from Eastern Europe, it would behoove James Toney, if he is going to keep plying his trade in the heavyweight or even cruiserweight division, to alter his own persona. Toney has just proven he can be funny and engaging, and that he can get people to like him, during his recent Russian excursion. Now he needs to stick to that mode and quit trying to appease those who still want him to haul out his vile, street-punk persona, which at age 43 he has—or should have—long outgrown. It’s time for James Toney to act his age, at least outside of the ring. To do so would go a long way toward him being taken more seriously again– especially if he looks good against Lebedev.

But if Toney is going to keep trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator of the boxing public and yet still insist on being taken seriously as a fighter, he deserves to be called on his vile comments.

He can’t have it both ways.

I also noticed Phil Anselmo from Pantera commented, at the bottom in the comments section, haha.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Now I doubt that James would moderate his behaviour anyway but it's worth noting that this video was actually made before he went to Russia. He even says so in the video so I'm not sure what this dude is on about.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 5 2011, 07:29 PM) *
I also noticed Phil Anselmo from Pantera commented, at the bottom in the comments section, haha.

You are brave posting that Fitz you racist! Toney is a fake as a $3 bill & he knows that if he gets out of line in Russia he will find himself in a world of trouble. They don't fuck around over there & his plastic gangsta persona would be laughed at & mocked. If he offended the worng people he would find himself very dead. I mean these guys think nothing of killing politicians & judges so a capping stupid muthafucka like Toney would be like blowing their nose.

As for Phil he is a true legend & a massive fan of boxing.
blackbelt2003
I think the article is overblown and whiny.

If Toney wants to act that way, let him. Far from banning everything that sounds remotely racist and labelling anyone who says 'Black' or 'White' a racist, we should just let people say what they wanna say. If Toney dislikes having a white heavyweight champion, what's wrong with that? Should we automatically have to like someone because they're white, or black, or whatever? Are we that much a bunch of babies that we have to cry if someone like Toney says '"I hate whites". That's his prerogative...I'm fed up with this politically correct bullshit telling us we all have to get along with each other.

If Red Neck Bob from Buttfuck, TX thinks that Toney is a piece of shit and wants a white boy to whup him good, then fine. The same goes in reverse, if Lil' Gangsta DeWayne from Compton, CA wants Floyd Mayweather to keep 'whipping all those Mexican road sweepers and show 'em how a smart, young black man do' then fine again.

Notice my racial stereotypes. I included them for a reason...the reason being I don't care for political correctness.
And also that stereotypes often become as such because they are usually grounded in the truth.

Black (ironic pseudonym, huh?)
MaxPayne
He gets punched in the face for a living. The rest of us work normal jobs and so PC behavior is a valid expectation for us.

Anyone who is in a combat sport and literally dying a little more every fight from the physical abuse can say whatever the fuck they want.

We as a society need to stop trying to make every single person conform to "standards" of social decorum.

Cshel86
Yeah I believe he did himself a solid by not showing his ass in Russia...of all countries, thats the one that he should've treaded carefully in. Im sure that there were people that actually appreciated him over (as odd as that sounds), because from what most American athletes state, they're more loved in a country other than their own. I would show my ass in America any day of the week, its just standard procedure since popularity seems to fluctuate over here and a lot of the fans are fickle. Hell, if a fighter loses one fight over here...then they're automatically wrote off...how cut throat is that?

Toney's act does get tiring from time to time...sometimes he even goes a bit far. Oh well, whether people love it or hate it, it's hard to keep your eyes off of it. Besides, thats what makes the world go 'round nowadays and thats why people pay (attention/money) to see folks act an ass on television. People in their right minds want to act stupid without embarassing themselves (no such thing), so they pay to watch others do it, because their dignity/morals wont allow them to.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 5 2011, 03:29 AM) *
Toney called the mother of the heavyweight champion Klitschko brothers a “fat German slut”

laugh.gif

The fact that Toney is such a relic of boxing's past is what makes him so appealing.
Method
I love it.

Maybe he'll shame one of the Klitchko sisters into fighting him.

As for...

Whether James Toney likes it or not, Eastern European domination of the heavyweight division is a fact of the present

Easy to dominate when you're fighting cruiser weights like Haye, Adamek and now Mormeck.
JONdaCON817
lmao @ James Toney!!.... i bet he wanted to jumed stupid a couple times over there, atleast!...

anyone couldve told you he was frontin while over there.... you dont disrespect somebody in thier baccyard.

deff wasnt worth writing a 13 paragraph article....
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (Method @ Oct 5 2011, 10:08 AM) *
I love it.

Maybe he'll shame one of the Klitchko sisters into fighting him.

As for...
"Whether James Toney likes it or not, Eastern European domination of the heavyweight division is a fact of the present"

Easy to dominate when you're fighting cruiser weights like Adamek and Mormeck.

ding ding ding!!!!
BGv2.0
Haye sports a shirt with their decapatated heads and they go apeshit and want to kill him.

JT says they should have been aborted....and crickets....WTF is that about.

I think that's MUCH worse than the t-shirt.

I wish they would both stomp his ass into the canvas.

JT's whole act only appeals to those who get turned on my thug talking and behavior. Anybody with two eyeballs that have seen him fight KNOWS he is full of absolute horseshit!

BUT...I give him full credit, he has been able to milk it for awhile now.

I've never seen so much shit talking and no action in my life from one single boxer!
gravytrain
if you were Wlad would you really care what Toney says? Toney hasn't been relevant at HW for awhile.
Method
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Oct 5 2011, 12:47 PM) *
Haye sports a shirt with their decapatated heads and they go apeshit and want to kill him.

JT says they should have been aborted....and crickets....WTF is that about.

I think that's MUCH worse than the t-shirt.

I wish they would both stomp his ass into the canvas.

JT's whole act only appeals to those who get turned on my thug talking and behavior. Anybody with two eyeballs that have seen him fight KNOWS he is full of absolute horseshit!

BUT...I give him full credit, he has been able to milk it for awhile now.

I've never seen so much shit talking and no action in my life from one single boxer!

The hell w the abortion comment. He called their mom a German slut.
Big Slim Sweet
I can't get over him calling their mom a fat German slut either. I'm laughing to myself right now as I type just thinking about it.

You can't blame him. He sees how Haye (who Toney recently called an "English faggot" by the way) talked his way into a big money fight with the Klits, and even though he lost, it ain't like Wlad really made him pay or anything. That fight was EASY MONEY for Haye. Can't blame JT for wanting a piece of that.
BGv2.0
LOL....I read the article wrong...I thought he called one of the Bros. a "fat german Slut" ! laugh.gif

YEAH....calling their mom that is WAY off....and worse than the abortion thing.
BoxingEinstein

Boxing is like basketball, there are going to be shit talking amongst opponents and people who maybe opponents that other boxers don't like.

Jordan even stated that Bird called him a shitty nigger on court and Jordan responded by calling him a white piece of bird shit but off the court they were cool.

In this retrospect, Toney doesn't give a fuck he clearly doesn't like the Klitschko brothers. I think James should beat this russian kid, face Arreola, then fight Povetkin-Holyfield winner then maybe fight Haye before he gets a title shot.
pesticid
James is the best trash-talker in the fight game today. His trash game is on another level. Mayorga might be abit better but his is not as appreciated as lots of it gets lost in translation too.
But if James fights either Klitschko, he'll get killed. No way a 5' 10" lazy heavyweight who has lost his legs, survives jabs and right hands for 12 rounds.
As far as James talking too much trash and milking it... James has fought everybody, he can talk whatever the hell he wants.
Method
QUOTE (pesticid @ Oct 5 2011, 09:07 PM) *
James is the best trash-talker in the fight game today. His trash game is on another level. Mayorga might be abit better but his is not as appreciated as lots of it gets lost in translation too.
But if James fights either Klitschko, he'll get killed. No way a 5' 10" lazy heavyweight who has lost his legs, survives jabs and right hands for 12 rounds.
As far as James talking too much trash and milking it... James has fought everybody, he can talk whatever the hell he wants.

His trash game HAS to be on another level, because his fat ass fight game, at least at any weight other than heavy, is no longer.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (pesticid @ Oct 5 2011, 08:07 PM) *

I don't agree with this...for sure in relation to his career at HW which other than only 1 solid impressive win does not at all warrent him having cliamed to have fought everyone or done anything at HW to be allowed to spew such crap.

Talking shit and never backing it up is the game JT has been playing for about 8 years now. And it astounds me how many people seem to have fallen for it.

JT is without a doubt HOF material...but as far as what he ever did at HW to be able to even remotely think he can claim to be anything at all at HW is pure delusion by him and by anybody that supports him at HW.
PalookaJoe
I am not a fan of Toney for this exact reason. Never liked how he race baits and how he constantly tries to shit talk his way into fights ala David Haye.

I will agree that he has the right to say whatever he wants. And others have the right to call him out on it. Having the freedom to make whatever insensitive ignorant comments you want to make, does not protect you from other people exercising their free speech rights by criticizing and or boycotting him.

I think at this point he's holding on for a few last paydays. I'm glad he's gotten in shape though. From what I understand he's lost a bunch of weight and actually looks to be in good conditioning. Whether he can keep it that way for more than one or two fights is another thing.

That said, I'm not sure how many more fights he has to be honest. I think he first started fighting back when Jesus was a kid.
Warlord
Toney can say whatever he wants. I'm sick of journalists giving their opinions about shit. Report the goddamn news and STFU. Your personal views don't mean shit.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Oct 5 2011, 10:09 PM) *
I don't agree with this...for sure in relation to his career at HW which other than only 1 solid impressive win does not at all warrent him having cliamed to have fought everyone or done anything at HW to be allowed to spew such crap.

Talking shit and never backing it up is the game JT has been playing for about 8 years now. And it astounds me how many people seem to have fallen for it.

JT is without a doubt HOF material...but as far as what he ever did at HW to be able to even remotely think he can claim to be anything at all at HW is pure delusion by him and by anybody that supports him at HW.

Where Toney has backed it up (sort of) as a heavyweight is that he was talking about one day fighting at heavy 20 years ago when he was a middleweight, and nobody took him seriously. Yet he did eat his way up there and he has been - while not great by a long shot - legitimately competitive. He brutalized a legend and fought a former undisputed champ on even terms for 15 rounds. He went 24 rounds with a young slugger who nobody else was trying to fuck with at the time, and he's still never even been close to being knocked out.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Oct 6 2011, 03:35 PM) *
Where Toney has backed it up (sort of) as a heavyweight is that he was talking about one day fighting at heavy 20 years ago when he was a middleweight, and nobody took him seriously. Yet he did eat his way up there and he has been - while not great by a long shot - legitimately competitive. He brutalized a legend and fought a former undisputed champ on even terms for 15 rounds. He went 24 rounds with a young slugger who nobody else was trying to fuck with at the time, and he's still never even been close to being knocked out.

Don't waste your time. BGv2.0 is the biggest Toney hater.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Oct 6 2011, 03:27 PM) *

correction: "Don't waste your time BGv2.0 is the biggest Toney at HW hater"

NOW...that's correct! thumbsup_anim.gif

QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Oct 6 2011, 02:35 PM) *

Toney never did much at all in the HW division. You take away his one solid victory over an aged, far from prime but still capable Holyfield and he really did not do anything else, and really I give him credit more in that fight for the impressive KO than the actual win. I give him little regard for anything with Rahman, Ruiz or Peter. He tainted his win over Ruiz with questionable substances, lost twice to Peter, drew with Rock, got a gimmie over Fres, then beat a bunch of no-bodies/never were's with Booker, Guinn, Reed and the like. And all of that took place from 2003....damn near ten years!!!!

No man....JT is the biggest F'N snake oil salesman I've ever seen in reagrd to the HW division.

Even though this has not been the golden age of HW's......there is a list as long as your arm in regard to who was in the division at the time. Briggs, Gomez, McCall, Wlad, Vitali, Brewster, Botha, Golota, Sanders, Williamson, Thompson....hell I could go on and on....and I don't believe for a second ALL of those people were terrified of JT....he and his people just never tried to make the fights!

You cannot claim to be the best and for the most part fight ONLY the divisions old, fat and lame fighters.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Oct 6 2011, 03:27 PM) *

Nah, BGv2.0 doesn't hate Toney, he just loves heavyweights. It's almost nationalistic with him. He sees Toney as a foreign midget invading his beloved land of giants.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Oct 6 2011, 03:45 PM) *
Toney never did much at all in the HW division. You take away his one solid victory over an aged, far from prime but still capable Holyfield and he really did not do anything else, and really I give him credit more in that fight for the impressive KO than the actual win. I give him little regard for anything with Rahman, Ruiz or Peter. He tainted his win over Ruiz with questionable substances, lost twice to Peter, drew with Rock, got a gimmie over Fres, then beat a bunch of no-bodies/never were's with Booker, Guinn, Reed and the like. And all of that took place from 2003....damn near ten years!!!!

No man....JT is the biggest F'N snake oil salesman I've ever seen in reagrd to the HW division.

Even though this has not been the golden age of HW's......there is a list as long as your arm in regard to who was in the division at the time. Briggs, Gomez, McCall, Wlad, Vitali, Brewster, Botha, Golota, Sanders, Williamson, Thompson....hell I could go on and on....and I don't believe for a second ALL of those people were terrified of JT....he and his people just never tried to make the fights!

You cannot claim to be the best and for the most part fight ONLY the divisions old, fat and lame fighters.

Brother, no one has seriously tried to claim Toney as the best heavyweight or a legitimate threat to beat one of the Klitschkos in a long time. Sure, JT says it, but he says a lot of things, and besides, what true fighter with any self belief is going to say anything different? Holyfield believes he can beat the Klitschkos too, and we all know how that would turn out.

What I'm saying is, he proved to all the people who doubted him all those years that he COULD go up and hang with the heavyweights. In that respect, he's backed up his talk. Not his talk from 2005 to the present but his talk going back to 1991 or so. In many ways, the single most impressive moment of his fight with Holyfield was in that 2nd round (I think) where he took a flush right hand bomb from Evander and shook it right off. If nothing else, what Toney's time at heavyweight has proven is that he genuinely has one of the greatest chins in the history of the sport.

I myself would MUCH rather see him stay at cruiser weight and take on guys like Hopkins and Tarver. If he's seriously re-dedicating himself to boxing again for a final run that's where he belongs. There would be actual drama to those fights, and the trash talking would be off the hook. The only drama to a bout with one of the Klitschkos would be to see whether they could be the first to knock James out or not.

BUT - you said it yourself - their continued silence with him is curious. I mean, calling their mother a fat German slut? That's serious. And the argument that James isn't worth their time and no one wants to see the fight anyway would be a lot more valid if Wlad weren't fighting Mormeck in two months, you know?
BoxingEinstein

Fuck the Drago Brothers, They don't want none of James "Lights Out" Toney. He got milk baby, he got milk! Who's necks? He got milk!

Hopkins vs James Toney would be a definite trash talking classic fight...I would personally send HBO a letter to make it come with a 24/7 and plus a face off and something a little extra. For christ sakes people will tune into the 24/7, face off, press conferences more than the damn fight itself!!!
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Oct 6 2011, 04:45 PM) *
correction: "Don't waste your time BGv2.0 is the biggest Toney at HW hater"

NOW...that's correct! thumbsup_anim.gif

I knew I should have added that. LOL!

QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Oct 6 2011, 08:16 PM) *
Nah, BGv2.0 doesn't hate Toney, he just loves heavyweights. It's almost nationalistic with him. He sees Toney as a foreign midget invading his beloved land of giants.

laugh.gif

Hahaha.
PalookaJoe
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Oct 6 2011, 09:02 PM) *
Fuck the Drago Brothers, They don't want none of James "Lights Out" Toney. He got milk baby, he got milk! Who's necks? He got milk!

Hopkins vs James Toney would be a definite trash talking classic fight...I would personally send HBO a letter to make it come with a 24/7 and plus a face off and something a little extra. For christ sakes people will tune into the 24/7, face off, press conferences more than the damn fight itself!!!

If Toney kept himself in good shape, that might be a decent fight. The buildup would be out of this world.

I don't care for either fighter, so it wouldn't matter who won (maybe a draw?) but it would be an entertaining situation, and at least in the case of Hopkins, if Toney came in shape and well conditioned and whatnot, I think he'd lose but he wouldn't get crippled as he would by the Kiltschkos.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Oct 6 2011, 07:16 PM) *

laugh.gif

Holyfield believes he can beat the Klitschkos too, and we all know how that would turn out.

If nothing else, what Toney's time at heavyweight has proven is that he genuinely has one of the greatest chins in the history of the sport.

I myself would MUCH rather see him stay at cruiser weight and take on guys like Hopkins and Tarver. If he's seriously re-dedicating himself to boxing again for a final run that's where he belongs. There would be actual drama to those fights, and the trash talking would be off the hook. The only drama to a bout with one of the Klitschkos would be to see whether they could be the first to knock James out or not.

BUT - you said it yourself - their continued silence with him is curious. I mean, calling their mother a fat German slut? That's serious. And the argument that James isn't worth their time and no one wants to see the fight anyway would be a lot more valid if Wlad weren't fighting Mormeck in two months, you know?

To "invade" one must fight and win a lot of battles! Which is my point. JT never did that at HW.

I'm not so sure a brutal holyfield KO loss comes at the end of a Klit fight. I do not think he wins but I'm not certain it's a career ending fight most see it as.

I do give JT credit for having a pretty damn strudy beard for a smaller guy....but I still think he was hurt a few times with both Rock in the first fight and both times with Peter. That being said, bigger hitters that were in better shape may have done more damage to him. Though I will never know BECAUSE HE NEVER FOUGHT THEM!

I agree...some of those matches you mention sound great....and if he steps in with those guys and gives me what he did with Jarov and Holyfield....I will support him all day long...shit talking and all.

I think Vitali is fighting Mormeck right? Not Wlad....

I'm not really sure both those guys BS defenses all run together for me.

Like I've said I like JT and loved his early bouts and will support him in his CW bid...BUT ONLY if he fights guys and THEN talks shit based on actul wins....

I will never respect anything other than the Holy win at HW....and due to Holy's age even that is not a HUGE accomplishment. BUT...in that fight he KOd in a legit and spectacular fashion a KNOWN commodity that although aged still had a little gas in the tank at that point....so it's the one thing he did at HW worthy of note. I would give him credit for the Ruiz win as well had it not been tainted.
Spyder
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Oct 6 2011, 08:16 PM) *

laugh.gif

Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Spyder @ Oct 7 2011, 12:04 AM) *

laugh.gif

You giving me a buh-dum, ching?
wolterb
QUOTE (Warlord @ Oct 6 2011, 01:06 AM) *
Toney can say whatever he wants. I'm sick of journalists giving their opinions about shit. Report the goddamn news and STFU. Your personal views don't mean shit.

fuggin A i agree
the entire media these days is one big opinion column
BGv2.0
QUOTE (Warlord @ Oct 6 2011, 12:06 AM) *
Toney can say whatever he wants.
I'm sick of journalists giving their opinions about shit.
Your personal views don't mean shit.

Kind of a double standard there seems like. dntknw.gif
BGv2.0
QUOTE (Warlord @ Oct 6 2011, 12:06 AM) *
Toney can say whatever he wants.
I'm sick of journalists giving their opinions about shit.
Your personal views don't mean shit.

Kind of a double standard there seems like. dntknw.gif
BigG
Toney also was robbed in the first Peter fight...he took Peter to school....his beating off Evander was very impressive because its not like Evander was getting thrashed every fight prior to the Toney fight..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.